Author Topic: opinions and help athletic training (football)  (Read 2188 times)

jcguy20

• Getbig II
  • 1st round draft pick
opinions and help athletic training (football)
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:25:15 PM »
I've seen people post on here with opinions so I just wanted to see you guys take on this. I am a college athlete and our offseason is coming up (your probably wondering why im asking for opinions here, I jsut feel our strength and conditioning coach is an ass and thinks just lifting is gonna help us his method of athletic training i feel is dumb, just my opinion where i came from) my goals I just wanna become more solid quicker faster and stronger, im moving back to running back (Safety didnt work out to well this year) and I just want to be better.

1. we usually lift in the after noon do you guys feel doing my agility or runnning in the morning would be good? splitting the work out or is that too much? I also heard that doing agility every day is badd for your body and recovery, so would you guys jsut suggest doing it twice a week or three times a week alternate days? I plan on doing sprints one day, agility the other and just alternating

2. One complaint my coaches have is my hips they always bitch about them being to tight what can I do to help this just stretch? and how do you guys feel about stretching? do you feel it should be done  alot, our strength coach claims we should stretch at least 3 times a day? I've heard that can be too much and bad.

and is there something I can do for hand strength? Im pretty sure i could clean a lot more than what I do now (225) if i could just keep a steady grip and im sure this would help with catching the ball too.

I just wanted the opinion of other people I've seen good feedback on here please I dont want any negative comments i am just trying to do what I can to get better and I feel more agility and sprints would help I played at a very uncomfortable 205 (being only 5'8 even though im listed at 5'10) and I feel i should play at a 195 ive dropped to about 180 and trying to build quality muscle and be a solid 190 195 instead of a kinda chunky 205. SO I would like any help or feed back from you guys to add to our work out if you want to know what we do lifting wise I can find that and show but I would really like some feed back and help.

Like I Said I wanna do more idk why our S&C coach feels just lifting is gonna get us faster but its not but i also realize this is a d2 in minnesota and hockey is way more important and thats where all the money goes haha. but thanks for the help

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Re: opinions and help athletic training (football)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 04:49:30 PM »
I love this fuggin workout Andrei Orlovski does

Haven't tried it but obviously he's trying to build explosive speed out of his arms and legs

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »
Joe Defranco has his three westside for skinny bastards templates I,II, and III. You can find them on his website defrancostraining.com. His stuff is geared for athletes that need to put on mass as well as improve their on field performance. He works with all kinds of athletes but his main concentration is football which woud be perfect for you. The biggest indicator of an athletes performance potential is the vertical jump, I know that the 40 yard dash times are crucial to football but that has a lot to do with technique as well as raw athletic explosiveness. Vertical jump is the most raw and true performance indicator out there. Boosting your strength in squats and deadlifts will definetely help with that. I know that the power clean is an awesome movement for building explosiveness and helps out tremendously with the vertical jump, but YOU want to add muscle as well as improve performnace and the quickest way to go about that is to focus on the big compound movements where you can use the most weight. One thing you want to focus on is strengthening your hamstrings which deadlifts will hit very hard, and if you do your squats properly (ass to the grass) not the parallel bullshit your hamstrings and glutes will get a lot stronger as well.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »
Agree with most of what Yev33 posted. As far as ham's go, Romanian Dl's and/or SLDL's, with a flat/straight back work hams very well. But also include direct ham exercises like leg curls, either with towel resistance (prefer) or machine. If using a machine, try doing leg curls with the standing version. A must is to work the ab's hard and heavy also. The links is abs, lower back and hams.

Any leg movement, like squats, leg presses, extensions & leg curls should be done, at times, one leg at a time. Gives better balanced strength to each side of the body. All very, very important in football or any other sport. Bulgarian squats, step-ups (with weight), one legged, squats, etc. Though still include the two legged version in a training program. This works well for BB'ers who seek balanced development/size.

Basic way to improve the vertical jump (really should be tested one leg at a time, as well as both..but few coaches do.. so many marginal coaches out there...all seem to go by the same cheat sheet) is this simple exercise. Hold a BB (some use a long dowel or broom stick to get adjusted to the movement) in front of you. Now jump over it, having the bar behind you. Jump back over, so the bar is in front of you again. You will feel this in calves, legs & ab's strongly. Helps to build quickness & timing, which is not the same as speed, in any sport. Try for 10-12 complete back and forth standing jumps. The vertical will improve. Also a good exercise for BB'ers who want to improve the total ab wall.  Good Luck

Side Bar: can add weight to the bar when doing Jump Overs. Usually the basic 135 is a start for most guy's who do this. Helps added quickness.
F

jcguy20

• Getbig II
  • 1st round draft pick
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:13:21 PM »
how would you feel about doing speed training in the morning and lifting in the afternoon or should it all be incorporated just into one workout? and should i speed train/ plyo train everyday? or just maybe twice a week thanks for the help. and in response to the defranco workout it looks amazing just a little confusing on how many reps and things of that sort