Author Topic: Investing in land  (Read 8524 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Investing in land
« on: December 25, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »
Can you share your thoughts and knowledge on investing in land ie vacant lots and wooded parcels.  I am thinking about buying some land as an investment and the reason I like land is that it is tangible.  Thanks. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: Investing in land
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 02:00:01 PM »
Can you share your thoughts and knowledge on investing in land ie vacant lots and wooded parcels.  I am thinking about buying some land as an investment and the reason I like land is that it is tangible.  Thanks. 

if i was you i would ask a professional or do more research via google.

I dont think getbig has as many millionaires as we once believed

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 02:03:26 PM »
if i was you i would ask a professional or do more research via google.

I dont think getbig has as many millionaires as we once believed
:'(

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 02:28:40 PM »
land can be a great investment, if there is a possibility of subdividing it and being able to sell it. where are you looking?  Vacant lots can be sold to developers fairly easily, wooded lots, dependong on location to major intersections or resourcs can be nice as well.  Hard to reach locations however can be difficult o profit from since it is much harder to run utilities etc to them

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »
Land never dies - and there ain't gonna be any more of it.  Always a good investment.

Unless, of course, you have terrible neighbors move in!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
Land is always a great investment, ...provided you have the ability to tie up huge sums of capital over an extended period of time. Land is not as easily liquidateable as other investments, but it is a very solid & dependable one over the long term. In real estate, the #1 rule to follow is location, location, LOCATION!!!

btw - did I mention, ...location is key!!!  :)
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »
Land is always a great investment, ...provided you have the ability to tie up huge sums of capital over an extended period of time. Land is not as easily liquidateable as other investments, but it is a very solid & dependable one over the long term. In real estate, the #1 rule to follow is location, location, LOCATION!!!

did you reasd my post? lol

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:05:04 AM »

Yes you are right.  But, sometimes lcoation has to be a future investment.  Perfect example is Vegas.  No one ever thught that desert land miles off the strip would be anything but open useless desert.  An acre that sold for $1000 20 years ago is worth $100,000 today.  Every member of my family has been in real estate.  My mom was a banker but had her brokers license as did my closet uncle since 1960.  I tried to keep the family tradition going but as the "black sheep" of the family I of course did not pass the exam.  I decided to not take it again.  I went in there without studying except with books my mom gave me.  I did not want to go to school.  I kind of wish I did cause I would have been a natural in real estate.  No matter what if you can afford to survive the bad times real estate is absolutely the best investment you can make.  Start off with a small income property.  A duplex or small apartment.  Then work your way up.  The more the merrier
No Worries 4 me

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 09:30:32 AM »

right now...dont...regardless of location....my dad buys land...puts up high end houses and sells em...

right now he's sitting on around 20 houses in primo locations (forest conservation land..with streams and ponts  etc..) that simply wont sell...

DONT do it
carpe` vaginum!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
right now...dont...regardless of location....my dad buys land...puts up high end houses and sells em...

right now he's sitting on around 20 houses in primo locations (forest conservation land..with streams and ponts  etc..) that simply wont sell...

DONT do it

The big difference is that he has the land deveolped with high end houses in a tough housing market.  He is inquiring about pure land.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »
The big difference is that he has the land deveolped with high end houses in a tough housing market.  He is inquiring about pure land.

he wants to sell the land his gas station sits on...he'll sell you the business for a buck...

he is not getting anything remotely close to asking price :-\
carpe` vaginum!

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:57:35 PM »
he wants to sell the land his gas station sits on...he'll sell you the business for a buck...

he is not getting anything remotely close to asking price :-\

Fuck man, i feel bad for your dad

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 03:05:59 PM »
it is very rought out there.  I do all i can for my buyers and sellers and it really just sucks all around for sellers now.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 12:41:49 AM »
they built too many houses when the population was leveling off.

everyone in college (grad school) was borrowing all the $ they could, so they could buy a SECOND home to flip in 5 years.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
Most sure way to acquire real estate profitably is to inherit it...

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 10:26:54 AM »
Don't buy land unless you'd consider keeping it just for yourself for personal use. There are alot of risks with zoneing issues and legal costs of dividing the land. Also at this time in history there is a question of whether or not it will even sell.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
Most sure way to acquire real estate profitably is to inherit it...

Only if it is put in your name as joint owner prior to the bequeather passing away,
...otherwise you'll be looking at a boatload of inheritance tax.  :'(
w

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 08:46:49 AM »
I've bought land, held it a year or less and sold it for nice profits. One of the people I sold land to 4 yrs ago still has a 4 sale sign sitting on it and likely will for awhile due to the economy and his ridiculous asking price. I am far from an expert on land investments but can share with you the little I know from my limited experience.

I found that making friends or business aquaintance  with a realtor that also develops land is helpful. If you can get in on the ground floor it makes a big difference in the profit and the quality of the lot. I focused on lake view/front areas exclusively as they are always a premium. I pay to have the land cleared to allow the prospective buyer the best view of and from the lot, and I price it reasonably well because every year you hold it, taxes eat away at your profit margin. 

For sale by owners can be a good find. Some owners around lake areas bought land and moved away.. just riding around the area you like could net you a good find that isn't listed. Another thing you can do that I have done before is even if a lot doesn't have a sign, but has been vacant for a long time, you can do a property search to locate the owner and make an offer, all they can do is say no.   

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 05:55:11 PM »
Don't buy land unless you'd consider keeping it just for yourself for personal use. There are alot of risks with zoneing issues and legal costs of dividing the land. Also at this time in history there is a question of whether or not it will even sell.

smart buyers can and will make a profit from land.  Zoning can be an issue anywhere.  Do the research first and save $$ iin the long run.  That's where knowing a good investor or realtor can be very helpful.  I don't deal in straight land all that much in Atlanta, but many of the same principles apply from residential real estate to land purchase.

Ares

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 07:33:53 AM »
Land /real estate is great.. just not right now.  More time needs to pass to wash out the bubble from 99-2007.

Give it time and be patient. Prices for everything will drift lower in the coming years.  When things look their worst and cheapest and people swear real estate is dead and suicidal to get into, that's when you buy.