Author Topic: itching attack all over body  (Read 12325 times)

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
itching attack all over body
« on: December 29, 2009, 11:59:49 AM »
Serious question here, this is the 2nd time it happened to me (yesterday was the first).  Yesterday and today when I was doing my usual morning cardio of walking, i had an extreme itching attack on my back, head and legs.  Both times it only lasted 3mins or so and then went away.  I have never experienced anything like this before, and i havent changed any soap brands or anything.  It was just like very intense itching for a few mins and then stopped.  I dont think there were any bumps/rashes on my skin when it happened.  Anyone know what would cause it? 
I dont like twinks.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: itching attack all over body
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »
Fabric & sweat?
:

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
Fabric & sweat?

its very cold here, and im only walking so im not sweating.  wearing the same shirts i always have.  its wierd because it only lasts for a few mins and then goes away.  i will see if it happens tomorrow, and if it does i will probably go see a doctor.
I dont like twinks.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:46:57 PM »
Have you recently changed laundry detergents/fabric softeners?

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »
Do you own a dog?

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48:20 PM »
Seborrheic dermatitis?  Stressed liver?  It could be any number of things and it's something a doctor will have to diagnose in-person.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »
Are you obese? 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:13:48 PM »
Are you on any new or different medication?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »
Serious question here, this is the 2nd time it happened to me (yesterday was the first).  Yesterday and today when I was doing my usual morning cardio of walking, i had an extreme itching attack on my back, head and legs.  Both times it only lasted 3mins or so and then went away.  I have never experienced anything like this before, and i havent changed any soap brands or anything.  It was just like very intense itching for a few mins and then stopped.  I dont think there were any bumps/rashes on my skin when it happened.  Anyone know what would cause it? 
are you dating a women of questionable character?

bench

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 11:31:03 PM »
 no dog, no new medicine, not obese, no new laundry detergent etc.

i am not doing cardio next morning, will see if it happens again.
I dont like twinks.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 04:59:41 AM »
I`d stop doing cardio and simply scratch the itch.

:)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 06:38:25 AM »
How long have you been itchy all over?
Why: to determine if acute or chronic.

Are there any skin lesions that preceded the itching?
Why: may suggest a primary skin condition as a cause of the itching rather than a systemic condition.

Are you, or is it possible that you may be pregnant?
Why: pregnancy may cause itching all over especially in the third trimester. The itch usually disappears after childbirth.

Contact with anyone that also has itching all over?
Why: e.g. may suggest scabies.

Past history of skin disorders that may cause itching?
Why: e.g. atopic dermatitis (eczema), hives, scabies, dermatitis herpetiformis, asteatosis (dry skin).

Past medical history?
Why: e.g. primary biliary cirrhosis, obstructive jaundice , lymphoma, myeloproliferative disease, chronic renal failure, iron deficiency, polycythaemia rubra vera, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, carcinoid syndrome. Primary biliary cirrhosis may be associated with Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma and rheumatoid arthritis. Celiac disease may be associated with dermatitis herpetiformis.

Medications?
Why: some medications may cause sensitivities such as aspirin, morphine and codeine.

Known allergies?
Why: e.g. food allergies, insect allergies, drug allergy.

Occupational history?
Why: e.g. exposure to fiberglass may cause a generalized sensitivity.

Questions your doctor may ask about related symptoms:Sometimes, other symptoms may be present and may help your doctor analyse your condition. These may include:

Generalised skin rash?
Why: almost every generalized rash may be associated with itching all over but the most common ones are urticaria (hives), dermatitis herpetiformis, eczema, scabies and pemphigus.

Weight loss, fatigue, fever?
Why: may suggest lymphoma, leukemia.

Excessive thirst, excessive hunger and frequent urination?
Why: may suggest diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism or pregnancy.

Symptoms of polycythaemia?
Why: e.g. tiredness, dizziness, ringing in the ears, , facial redness, redness of the eyes, severe itching of the skin after a hot bath. May be complicated by angina chest pain, intermittent claudication and gout.

Symptoms of hypothyroidism?
Why: e.g. lethargy, weight gain, constipation, puffiness of face and eyes, hair loss, dry itchy skin.

Symptoms of hyperthyroidism?
Why: e.g. emotional lability, agitation, nervousness, tremor, palpitations, loose bowel motions, intolerance to heat, facial flushing, sweating of the hands, muscle weakness, weight loss despite normal or increased appetite, itchy skin.

Symptoms of causes of iron deficiency anemia?
Why: e.g. heavy periods, rectal bleeding, vomiting blood, melena.

Symptoms of carcinoid syndrome?
Why: e.g. spontaneous or induced bluish-red flushing, usually of the face or neck, abdominal pain, recurrent watery diarrhea - This syndrome occurs in only 5% of patients with carcinoid tumors and only when there is liver metastases.

Symptoms of primary biliary cirrhosis?
Why: e.g. earliest symptom is itching all over but is most marked on the palms and soles. Later may develop jaundice and enlarged liver and spleen.

Symptoms of chronic renal failure?
Why: e.g. tiredness, reduced appetite, insomnia, frequency of urination, nausea, vomiting.

Symptoms of Hodgkin's disease?
Why: e.g. painless enlarged lymph nodes (especially in the neck), malaise, weakness, weight loss, fever, night sweats, itchy skin, pain in the enlarged lymph nodes with consumption of alcohol.

R

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »
no dog, no new medicine, not obese, no new laundry detergent etc.

Pics of dog, meds and laundry or it's all bullshit.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 02:56:31 PM »
have you started a cycle?
sept 10th APF

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »

Even a Harley?

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 02:06:24 PM »

i started like my 5th one just over a week ago.  no new compounds, its the same old shit. 

i didnt do cardio yesterday, and i did not get that itching sensation.  I did cardio today and it happened, although not as intense before.  this shit is getting wierd.
I dont like twinks.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
Used to get this all the time for years, i found sun exposure was the only thing that took it away.Doctors couldnt cure it and didnt know what it was

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »
Lots of threads on the internet about this

"I have noticed that slowly building up my running time, vs. walking time, results in my being able to run longer without the itchiness until eventually it goes away, except in the winter. I run indoors in the winter to avoid the extreme temperature changes"

"I found the answer on another website.  I'm so excited!  This condition has prevented me from working out for so long - it's terrible.

You have to take an antihistimine... It stops your skin from itching when you have an allergic reaction.  You know how you get extra itchy when you have an allergic reaction to something.  I'm assuming something like a non-drowsy Benedryl or something equal would work.  

My itching/scratching episodes would begin as early as 1/4 of a mile and I am in my 30s.  It has been terrible but since I've been taking hydroxizine (for itching) I haven't had an episode yet!  My doctor prescribed hydroxizone for me some time ago and when I saw the advice to take it on a website...I thought  - I have some allergy pills left and decided to try it and it's working!  The itching when walking or running definitely isn't an allergy but it the allergy medication does cure the itching.  I guess its because you do itch like crazy when having an allergic reaction to something and the antihistimine stops the itching.  I've tried everything else so I thought I'd try it and it worked the very first time."

"I have been dealing with this condition for some years now.  I can't believe it.    I was actually back on line looking for the site where I found the info to let everyone know it worked.  I found this in my search for the site and wanted to let you all know.  It really works!  You have to try it... believe me."

"I finally found a new doctor and took him all my findings and he diagnosed me with an exercise allergy that manifests in itchy legs and feet, which then moves to my torso, neck and arms over time. He put me on Zyrtek and I've been using that ever since. That was 7 years ago, and I only have trouble if I forget to take my Zyrtek for 2 days or more. I've been able to workout and even have a personal trainer now. "

"I have always been an athlete, but this is something I have experienced my entire life, ESPECIALLY when I go running.  At a young age, my father told me that I was just out of shape and needed to invest time (and severe itch) into getting my body ready for working out.  Once I put the effort out, the itch began to go away, and I soon became one of the best high school runners in the state and was nationally ranked in college.  However, if I take time off, I am right back to square one, where I look as though I've never worked out before."

"Might I suggest a drug-free method of working your way up to long distances.  Run a quarter mile today, half mile tomorrow, etc.  I feel that when I take long breaks from working out, I have to do this in order to get rid of the itch.  Usually within a week of consistent running, the itch goes away.  This is something I would recommend to anyone with this problem, because this has, and will forever, torment me.

Perhaps, however, you can avoid the itch all-together by taking the antihistimene until the body is in shape, then get off of it.  What I was excited about was that this didn't stop me from achieving my fitness goals, so YOU CAN BEAT IT."

"I have had this problem for years and finally went to a doctor and got prescribed allegra which is a non drowsy antihistamine. I take it 60 min before exercise and it works. It is an allergic reaction. I notice in the winter when it is extremely cold sometimes the allegra doesn't cut it and I have to forget exercise all together. I also have to moisturize before I exercise and that helps too. It's weird. I thought I was the only one in the world. My friends laugh when I say I am allergic to exercise but nyone who has experienced this knows it is EXCRUCIATING!!!!!"

"have the same problem. When I dont run for 2 days or more, the itching usually starts 10min into the run. It starts either on my hips or legs, very random, then eventually the entire body. I tried many things, as said earlier, the key is to constantly exercise. Or take an antihistamine (over the counter is fine like zyrtec or claritin, which ever one works with your body), personally zyrtec is wonderfull, according to my allergist, it stays in the skin for 5 days!.  If you don't like to be on drugs all the time, just take the antihistamine when you start running again, and once you get consitent, go off the pill. Works for me. Hope this helps :)"

"i have tried creams,antihistamines, and hydration and zero success. But may be there is a name for this bothersome itch. I googled today and not only found this article but came across an article that discussed Exercise-induced anaphylaxis it said that certain foods and chemicals in food can cause it like caffeine!!!I started thinking to myself when was the last day I didn't have a coke? and couldn't remember one. So my NEW Goal is to cut out caffeine for a couple months, take the Zyrtec,drink plenty of Water, and lotion up every day then see where I'm at every day and hopefully I will improve. I know exactly what you are going through and it's always good to know that there are others out there. Stand strong and keep me up to date with any more info you may acquire. Thank You"

"I think it's called exercise urticaria something like that. I am so glad I'm not the only one. I have tried oatmeal baths, chaffing cream you name it. Well it's not as bad anymore; what I do is stay hydrated during exercise, wear loose clothing and shower in cool water following exercise and when you get out of the shower make sure to moisturize your skin. And just an FYI according to my research there's no cure due to they don't know what causes it only antihistamines are prescribed."

Itching During Exercise
What causes skin to itch during exercise
By Elizabeth Quinn, About.com Guide
Updated: September 18, 2006
Itching and skin irritation during exercise can be caused by a a variety of reasons. Most are minor, but some can be related to a more serious condition.
Dry skin, dry weather and low humidity are the most common reason people experience itching while exercising. Dry, cold winter air is responsible for most of this seasonal skin irritation. This is also the eaiest irritation to treat, by using a good moisturizer before exercising.

Another common cause of itching is an allergic reaction to a new or different soap, lotion or detergent. If you have itching after trying a new product, simply change products to see if that solves the problem.

Other causes of exercise itching can include reactions between exercise, some food allergies or certain medications. Antibiotics, some pain medications, and diuretics all have been known to cause itching during exercise for some people. If you experience this, tell your doctor or pharmacist about your symptoms and what medication you are taking. Sometimes they will recommend a cream or an over-the-counter anti-histamine before exercise.

Another cause may include urticaria, an allergic reaction that causes the release of histamines that dilate blood vessels and result in swelling and skin irritation. Urticaria is recognized by red, itchy welts or hives on the chest. Urticaria can be triggered by sweating or extreme temperatures. Exercising in a cooler, dryer climate, or lowering your exercise intensity may reduce symptoms.

In rare cases some people devlop exercise-induced anaphylaxis, which can be serious. The symptoms are hives and itching that progresses to shortness of breath, and low blood pressure. This is a serious reaction and if not treated this may lead to shock. If you have such symptoms it is important to tell your doctor before exercising. Symptoms are often treated with antihistamines. Read more about Exercise-induced anaphylaxis

R

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »
thanks stella
I dont like twinks.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 08:10:01 AM »
thanks stella

Seems like you have a lot of company. :(

Looks like many advocate a non-drowsey anithistamine.  Also, maybe try to do cardio one day after only having water (no coffee, tea etc) or food and see what happens. 

Hope you get relief soon.
R

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 08:38:25 AM »
This happens to me sometimes.  Usually in colder weather, like when I used to get up at 5am and jog in the winter.  I would get all itchy on my legs. 

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 10:14:36 AM »
it has actually died down, not sure what caused it but it has seemed to stop on its own.  those 2 days were awful, never had an attack like that before in my life.  thanks everyone
I dont like twinks.