Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
April 20, 2014, 01:54:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trapezius trigger points  (Read 1597 times)
outby43
Getbig IV

Libertarians 2016

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:39:23 PM »

I sit at a desk on a computer all day and I know my posture sucks.  I have been battling tightness in the right trap for years but for the last 2 weeks I have pain, severe tightness and it has moved to my shoulder.  Is a massage therapist a better option than a chiropractor?  I have been doing stretches, massaging as best as I can but I cannot get deep enough in the muscle to release the tension.  Oh, and the wife bitches every time I ask to rub harder or hit the right spot.  She really doesn't have the strength to penetrate the muscle correctly so that option is not working to well...lol.
Report to moderator   Logged
Montague
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 05:03:43 PM »

IMO you will probably want a massage therapist over a chiro.
Call around and find a MT who is skilled in myofascial and cross-friction tissue work - preferably one who's been doing it for a while and has experience and good, strong hands.

Posture & tensing up can often lead to trigger point development.
Chiropractic adjustments may help correct some posture problems, but for direct tissue work, it’s hard to beat a good massage.

OMT – it may benefit you to examine your work station. Are your computer monitor & keyboard positioned at the correct heights?
A lumbar support may help with your chair.

There’s a term for the above practice, but the name escapes me.
If interested, just do a web search for details on arranging office desks for optimum posture & comfort.
outby43
Getbig IV

Libertarians 2016

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »

yeah I am going to see a massage therapist next week.  I went to a chiropractor a couple years ago and it was like tossing money down the drain.  I just wanted to find someone that knows what they are doing and not someone who is fresh out of school or someone who only does it once in a while.  This guy I work with his wife is certified but hasn't given any message since she graduated over a year ago.  There are a lot of those around here.  Also we have a bunch of "happy ending" massage girls around which isn't bad but I REALLY need a true massage..lol.
Montague
Getbig V

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »

Also we have a bunch of "happy ending" massage girls around which isn't bad but I REALLY need a true massage..lol.

Grin

It may not hurt to call one or two physical therapy clinics and ask them if they have a MT that either works out of their office or that they could at least recommend.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.16 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!