Author Topic: My Heart goes out to the people of Haiti  (Read 8107 times)

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
Re: My Heart goes out to the people of Haiti
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »
Brazil's Mother Thereza, Pediatrician Zilda Arns, Among Haiti's Victims

Zilda ArnsZilda Arns Neumann, the national coordinator of the Brazilian Pastoral Care for Children (Pastoral da Criança) was one of the Brazilian victims of the earthquake that hit the capital of Haiti, Port-au-Prince, yesterday.

The information was supplied by congresswoman Ideli Salvatti, who visited Palácio do Planalto - the seat of the Brazilian government today - (13th) and accompanied the presidential staff's efforts for gathering information.

According to her, all of the contacts are being made by the chief of the presidential cabinet, Gilberto Carvalho, who has already spoken to relatives of Zilda's, including senator Flávio Arns, her nephew. He will travel to Haiti alongside the Brazilian minister of Defense, Nelson Jobim.

"Apparently, she was on the streets of Port-au-Prince at the time of the quake and was hit by something," said Ideli Salvatti. At Palácio do Planalto, the president's ministers and advisors are "totally" engaged, said Ideli.

So far, the deaths of eleven members of the Brazilian military have been confirmed. They were part of the UN Peace Corps operations in the country, which are headed by Brazil.

Zilda traveled last weekend to attend a missionary meeting at an organization named CIFOR and was staying at the Episcopal headquarters. According to Zilda Arns' press office, the coordinator was in Haiti to teach the Pastoral Care for Children's working methods for fighting malnutrition.

The disappearance of 75-year old Zilda was confirmed by her son, Rubens Arns. According to him, he last contacted his mother on Saturday, January 9.

The Brazilian president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva regretted the tragedy that took place yesterday in Haiti and the passing of Zilda. The information was supplied by the Brazilian minister of Foreign Relations, Celso Amorim, while leaving a meeting with Lula today in the morning. "The president is absolutely shocked by the entire situation," he said.

Regarding the death of Zilda Arns, Amorim claimed that Lula "deeply lamented" the disappearance of a prominent person in the country who was in Haiti doing humanitarian aid work. Amorim also regretted the news.

The governor of the state of Paraná, Roberto Requião, who is now in Brasília (the Brazilian capital), declared three days of official mourning in the state for Zilda's death. Requião stated on Twitter that he has lost a great friend, and that her passing represents a great loss to Brazil and much pain to her friends.

Zilda Arns Neumann, 75, pediatrician and sanitarian, was the founder and coordinator of Pastoral Care for Children, founder and national coordinator of the Pastoral Care for the Elderly (Pastoral da Pessoa Idosa), both of which are social action organizations of the National Conference of Bishops of Brazil (CNBB).

She was a honorary representative of the CNBB, of the National Health Council and a member of the Council for Social and Economic Development (CDES). Born in the city of Forquilhinha (in the state of Santa Catarina), she lived in Curitiba (capital of the state of Paraná), had five sons and ten grandsons. She chose medicine as her mission and dedicated herself to public healthcare.

In 1980 she was invited to coordinate the Sabin vaccination campaign, for fighting the first polio epidemics, which started in the municipality of União da Vitória (Paraná), and devised her own method, which was later adopted by the Brazilian Ministry of Health.

In 1983, by request of the CNBB, she established the Pastoral Care for Children alongside Geraldo Majela Agnello, the Cardinal Archbishop of São Salvador da Bahia (capital of the state of Bahia), then the Archbishop of Londrina (Paraná). It was then that she developed the community-oriented methodology of multiplying knowledge and solidarity among poorer families.

She used to say that providing education to mothers, by means of qualified community leaders, was the best way to fight most of the easily preventable diseases and to protect children from becoming criminals.

The Pastoral Care for Children provides assistance to over 1.9 million pregnant women and children under 6 years of age, and 1.4 million impoverished families in 4,063 municipalities in Brazil. There are over 260,000 volunteer workers. The organization's working method was replicated in several countries.

For her social work, Zilda Arns was decorated several times. In 2006 she was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize alongside women from around the world selected by the 1000 Women for the Nobel Peace Prize project, created by a Swiss association. Zilda was the sister of the Archbishop Emeritus of de São Paulo, cardinal Paulo Evaristo Arns.
Gracie Rules

Dr. Fist

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »
People will make a lot of money now.

Donate money, I will send it to Haiti! God wants it. And I want a new car.

Some people are so fucking stupid.  ;D

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
what about the animals

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 03:30:02 PM »
Hope quick recoverly.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 03:32:59 PM »
Hope quick recoverly.
not likely to happen quickly, it's Haiti remember....

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 03:36:04 PM »

This fool needs to shut up and know his history. Better yet, maybe he wants to take some of those millions of dollars that he has in Irish Banks and use that for Haitian Aide.
He said the smae thing about Cuba, that they were devil worshipers because of Santeria, which is a mixture of African and Christianity, they have African Saints.

Mr. Christian failed to say that the French were overthrown because they had few soldiers stationed on the island, France had some issues at home. After the victory, France was like, "okay, so you want to be free, well we will not help you at all. No aide, no trade, no shit."

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 04:13:30 PM »
dont blame France...those nitwits wanted independence. 

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
dont blame France...those nitwits wanted independence. 
Where did I blame France? I agree with what France did. You want Independence, here you go! But there was I think little forethought to what happens after independence, I forgot. And then there was that pesky Monroe Doctrine in the 20th century.

And Mr. Christian is lying, Dominican Republic is not prospering, the companies that open the resorts are prospering. I can't stand Pat, I swear he is the Devil's right big toe, and doesn't know it.

hossie59

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
Valid point.....HOWEVER, take your soap opera scenario and shove it up ur arse! Possibly teh worst tragedy in history death tolls.

qft

Well top 10 (not top 5). Most on record was 800k range. Gods way of thinning the heard.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
The next big Haiti news story...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck Todd of NBC predicts that in 3-4 days, the big news story will be tens of thousands of haitian refugees arriving on the beaches of Florida.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
Such a sad day.  Hopefully they get help.  These images break my heart.

There are people living here in LA just like that.  Sorry but Americans get my first concern.
((-::

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 04:38:06 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck Todd of NBC predicts that in 3-4 days, the big news story will be tens of thousands of haitian refugees arriving on the beaches of Florida.
Thats if they can put together boats or rafts, and of course wile will send them back, yet let illegal immigrants come thru our borders, or let cubans come due to "political asylum" ::)

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
There are people living here in LA just like that.  Sorry but Americans get my first concern.
Regmac, if you are talking about the homeless, some people choose to be homeless, whether it be because of pride, or not wanting to conform. Or mental illness. Then there are those who are down on their luck, lost their jobs. But there are homeless shelters, countless programs, and again some people take advantage of them, others again, because of pride will not.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
Regmac, if you are talking about the homeless, some people choose to be homeless, whether it be because of pride, or not wanting to conform. Or mental illness. Then there are those who are down on their luck, lost their jobs. But there are homeless shelters, countless programs, and again some people take advantage of them, others again, because of pride will not.
Its all the same.   Haiti is Haiti though.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 04:50:46 PM »
well, we're SUSPENDING DEPORTATION - Step 1 to amnesty.

2 hours ago...

Responding to the devastation from the Haiti earthquake, Obama administration officials on Wednesday temporarily suspended deportations of illegal immigrants from that country.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Haitian deportations would be halted “for the time being,” without specifying a time period. Immigration officials said it was clear they could be putting Haitians’ safety at risk by sending them back to a country staggering from the vast destruction of the quake. About 30,000 Haitians in the United States are facing deportation orders, immigration officials said.

Lawmakers and immigrant advocacy groups renewed calls for the administration to grant Haiti a special status that would shield Haitian immigrants in this country from deportation for an extended period and allow them to work legally. The Haitian government and advocates here have been asking Washington to grant the status, known as temporary protected status, since late 2008.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »

they are coming...not good for democrats

TruthHurts

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
My heart goes out to them but my wallet stays in my pant pocket

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »
I dunno...

If the Obama administration grants them amnesty - I mean, the country is devastated and they can't exactly go back for a few years - then they'll certainly vote Dem.

But the backlash against obama could be ugly.  We're near 20% local unemployment.  You deliver 15,000 new jobless people to our little county's economy... yikes...

Either way, he can't send them back and let the repubs call him heartless and win the hispanic and guilt vote.  They're here to stay, I'm betting.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 05:15:26 PM »

Have you seen DOWNFALL?   Good movie.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 05:28:48 PM »
sad ending though :'(
tank u jesus

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 07:17:52 PM »
chilling.. from an NBC reporter:

"They don't move things in Haiti when they break.  The people who died in this earthquake... they may be in their graves now."

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »
you know, it is one thing to be "cavalier" and/or using "shocking"humor on a interweb forum but i think alot of this "humor" isn't really "humor" and there is alot of malice behind these words from some of you.

seriously, alot of innocent people got hurt here- have a fucking heart

hossie59

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010, 07:40:35 PM »
you know, it is one thing to be "cavalier" and/or using "shocking"humor on a interweb forum but i think alot of this "humor" isn't really "humor" and there is alot of malice behind these words from some of you.

seriously, alot of innocent people got hurt here- have a fucking heart

Here's the thing, and i know small post count means i have a small penis and everything i say is pure retardation that should never be taken seriously until i hit 5k posts but;

People cry and bitch about how America is everywhere and we should just mind our own business and stop trying to play dad to every country out there.........then this shit happens and guess who is EXPECTED to bail everyone out?

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 07:52:18 PM »
If you have a cell phone, and wanna help, simply send a text to 90999  Txt word  Haiti ... That will be $10.00 for the Red Cross Int Relief.