Author Topic: Got a Friend Hooked on Drugs??  (Read 16412 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Got a Friend Hooked on Drugs??
« on: June 06, 2005, 01:35:15 PM »
I didn't think that it would be appropriate to post this in another obvious spot, so I am posting it here with the hope that a moderator will post it elsewhere if it deserves a better location.

If our recommendations can prevent one death, it will be worthwhile ....

About ten years back my best friend was hooked on that stuff you stuck up your nose and rubbed on your gums and shot in a vein,

I didn't know much about that shit and as you can see, I still don't; but what he was hooked on is not important.

What is important is that he was a "user" and it was slowing taking him to an early grave.

But all of us "friends" were dumb and stupid at that time and kind of enjoyed "Buff" when he took this stuff and got high. He made us laugh a lot and have good times.

He was a bodybuilder! A great bodybuilder!

We took him to meet "Uncle" Joe and everyone in that place came over to shake his hand and say "hello".

"Uncle" Joe even invited him to a photo shoot in Hawaii the following month and Cory loved him a hell of lot in the "plutonic?" sense.

And Jeff took us all to lunch after that Weider visit.

And no one had any idea that he was loaded that day. But I did cause I was there when he was fueling up.

So a month goes by and the Maui photo shoot arrives and they are all set up to click the cameras.

And my friend shows up looking like crap from his month long infatuation with his drug of choice. No one even came close to recognizing him so they wrote him off as a "no show" and shot photos of the local ladies with Gary Strydom.

Eventually my friend got arrested and placed in jail for safekeeping. He got out a few days before his trial and we had a decent talk.

He told me, "No matter what I ever tell ya, consider it to be a lie! I will lie and cheat and steal from ya cause I'm a f**ken junkie! Remember that! OK?! You're my friend, so remember what I just told ya!".

That night his brother found him passed out on the highway in the vicinity of his house - an overdose.

So he ends up in jail for a two year term ..... and that's the best thing that could happen to him - By his own admission.

I tried but not enough. We had good times at all the clubs when he was high and I didn't give it too much thought.

In this case a jail term was the only answer. "Friends" were useless even at the best of times.

That jail time sobered him up but he still has that desire to go astray.

So far he has been successful in fighting it. But he still tells me, "Never trust me! I'm a f**ken junkie!"

dstang1

Re: Got a Friend Hooked on Drugs??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 02:00:47 PM »
I didn't think that it would be appropriate to post this in another obvious spot, so I am posting it here with the hope that a moderator will post it elsewhere if it deserves a better location.

If our recommendations can prevent one death, it will be worthwhile ....

About ten years back my best friend was hooked on that stuff you stuck up your nose and rubbed on your gums and shot in a vein,

I didn't know much about that shit and as you can see, I still don't; but what he was hooked on is not important.

What is important is that he was a "user" and it was slowing taking him to an early grave.

But all of us "friends" were dumb and stupid at that time and kind of enjoyed "Buff" when he took this stuff and got high. He made us laugh a lot and have good times.

He was a bodybuilder! A great bodybuilder!

We took him to meet "Uncle" Joe and everyone in that place came over to shake his hand and say "hello".

"Uncle" Joe even invited him to a photo shoot in Hawaii the following month and Cory loved him a hell of lot in the "plutonic?" sense.

And Jeff took us all to lunch after that Weider visit.

And no one had any idea that he was loaded that day. But I did cause I was there when he was fueling up.

So a month goes by and the Maui photo shoot arrives and they are all set up to click the cameras.

And my friend shows up looking like crap from his month long infatuation with his drug of choice. No one even came close to recognizing him so they wrote him off as a "no show" and shot photos of the local ladies with Gary Strydom.

Eventually my friend got arrested and placed in jail for safekeeping. He got out a few days before his trial and we had a decent talk.

He told me, "No matter what I ever tell ya, consider it to be a lie! I will lie and cheat and steal from ya cause I'm a f**ken junkie! Remember that! OK?! You're my friend, so remember what I just told ya!".

That night his brother found him passed out on the highway in the vicinity of his house - an overdose.

So he ends up in jail for a two year term ..... and that's the best thing that could happen to him - By his own admission.

I tried but not enough. We had good times at all the clubs when he was high and I didn't give it too much thought.

In this case a jail term was the only answer. "Friends" were useless even at the best of times.

That jail time sobered him up but he still has that desire to go astray.

So far he has been successful in fighting it. But he still tells me, "Never trust me! I'm a f**ken junkie!"

The power of addiction!!! Shows just how weak we are!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »
Yea Stunt i know exactly who you are talking about.  He really looked good.  Would have been a perfect image for the IFBB.  Except for his drug problem.  I remember his dad having to sell his restaurant to help him out.  I know he doing really good now.  He came and saw me last summer.  As you know I am going through the same thing with my youngest daughter just not as bad.

competing

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 07:02:01 AM »
I am curious who you are talking about?  Can you give us his first name, initials or something like that?

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 12:03:04 AM »
I had a very good friend hooked on drugs.................he rion.
   She died at 22 years of age in 1996. I was asked to go the morgue to ID her body with her mom and her brother. It was the hardest and most painful thing emotionaly I have ever had to deal with.
   I lived with her in apartment for near one year and she was my best friend.
   The day we ID her, her mom hit the floor upon her first visual of her daughter and her older brother fell upon my shoulder  sobing like a baby.
   The death penalty to drug dealers is the least hey deserve, even though they are not the sorce of the users pain, they help them end their life. God how I hate drugs........
h

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 02:40:08 AM »
Sorry to hear that , Eric. I also had a very close friend die from drug abuse.  He was a bodybuilder and it's a very interesting story which I'll be glad to tell one day soon as it may help others who could find themselves in a smilar situation.

Give me a couple days to draft it up.

body88

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 10:26:50 PM »
Boston is filled with Herion. It has really affected the surrounding areas close to the city. I honestly know at least 15 kids i went to highschool with that use it. Have had 3 friends die and 4 go to rehab in the lst 2 years. These kids where athletes, went to school etc. It can take ahold of anyone. It is sad and frustrating watching youre best friend lie to youre face.  Never trust a junkie. The only thing is to try to helo but sadly the power of this drug and some others never ends until thier life does

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 10:24:27 PM »
Thanks, Stella! Terrible story! And I mean that in a thankful way!

Some of this stuff could convince others to get off this shit or never go on it.

But I seriously doubt it.

Have any you cocaine folks been cured by any of this?

I doubt it, but it sure would be nice to know that you are giving the problem some serious attention.

Good luck if you are in a situation such as this.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 02:34:28 PM »
I've been battling addiction off and on for the past 4 years and it can be a real bitch....when I was using I was on auto pilot,noting else was important but getting high...I never used everyday, I was more of a binge user...I'd disappear for 2-3 days...I lost jobs, money, relationships and the trust of my family...it took a lot to get them to trust me again, but they are....and you can have just as much fun sober

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 03:31:14 AM »
Thanks, Mike, and good luck in your continued success.

Kind of a related story here, but back many years ago, a very good friend of mine who was an exceptional bodybuilder asked me to go with him to an AA meeting because some of his drug useing friends had recommended it.

I never had a problem with drugs or booze but I tagged along just to make sure that he did in fact get there.

That meeting was held on the second floor of a local high school and there was about 30 of us sitting at the typical school desks and the meeting started.

Everyone had to introduce themselves and when it came to me I stood up and and. "Hello, I'm Jimmie Jones and I'm not an alcoholic! I'm here with a friend."

Surpriseingly, no one laughed and the meeting continued with some damn interesting speakers.

One guy whom I had seen laying on street cornors with a jug of wine for a number of years, was the main speaker this evening and he was cleaned up for a change and looking like he had just come out of a "beauty parlor".

Turned out that he had been the President of a major US Fortune 500 corporation (so he said and confirmed by others)  and this was the first time I heard him speak a decent sentence. This particular night he was a genius and had us all in the palm of his hand telling us his story and his problems with the booze and drugs and ocassional sober time-outs.

It was probably one of the greatest motivational speeches I've ever heard, so I looked around to see how my good friend was accepting it, but he was nowhere to be seen.

After the meeting I found out that he had been outside making a drug deal. He never did get
"cured" until they locked him up for a couple of years in the local "hoose-kow". At present he is doing well as far as I can tell.

By the way, the impressive guy who spoke that night?  - Last time I saw him, he was sitting under a lamp-post with a jug of wine talking incoherently.

One last story about booze and drugs ........... Another good friend ends up laying in a gutter in Santa Monica at least once or twice each year. He is an AA member but a constant failure and admits to that at every meeting. The Circle Bar in Venice had his name inscribed on his favorite stool.

He used to drag me off to AA meetings in West LA and the whole room was full of movie and TV personalities. I attended those meeting a few times and listened to a good number of success stories that are never mentioned in those gossip rags you see by the cash registers in the local grocery stores.

They say that the 12 Step Program  that the AA preaches is one of the most successful alcohol/drug rehabilitation programs in the US, so if you got a problem, I suggest you go to one of the meetings. The ones I have been too have been very interesting.

Thanks again, Mike

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 05:06:27 AM »
Yea Stunt i know exactly who you are talking about.  He really looked good.  Would have been a perfect image for the IFBB.  Except for his drug problem.

Tell us onlyme........speak on this.

Cory liked him, and he still couldn't stay away from the drugs.

Sad.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Milly

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 12:49:25 PM »
I've been battling addiction off and on for the past 4 years and it can be a real bitch....when I was using I was on auto pilot,noting else was important but getting high...I never used everyday, I was more of a binge user...I'd disappear for 2-3 days...I lost jobs, money, relationships and the trust of my family...it took a lot to get them to trust me again, but they are....and you can have just as much fun sober

ditto for me as well

I will give my 2 cents tommorow as I am heading out in a few minutes.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 08:46:34 AM »
a friend of mine who i grew up with started using crystal meth after high school. i quit hanging around him because all his new friends were meth heads and i didn't trust them. i talked to him for about two years off and on. he sounded good sometimes and bad other times. some of his calls seemed like a call for help so i always went by his work 10 minutes before he got off so i could attempt and drag him away from his abuse. he would go days without sleeping and barely eating. we played football in high school and he was always bigger, stronger and better than me at pretty much everything. that, of course, all changed after 3 years of abuse. he looked like crap, acted totally different but at times he would be his old self. he tried to kick the habit several times but couldn't do it on his own. he checked into rehab and came out clean and stayed that way for many months UNTIL he met a girl who took him right back where he was, and deeper. 1 year went by and i never heard from him, he changed jobs and moved so i had no way of getting a hold of him. one day i was at the grocery store and there he was, all 110 pounds of him. he looked horrible. i told him he needed a change, he hung his head and almost cried right there in front of me. i tried to help him with his addiction again, it was alot more difficult than i could have realized but he refused to go back to rehab. i hung out with him every day for 3 months to keep him away from meth. he was doing well until one day i came over and he was drunk as a skunk and could hardly talk. he gave up his meth for a new drug of choice, xanax. he would take 5-6 of these "bars" as they call them and he would drink on top of that. he said that was the only way to keep from using meth again. 2 weeks went by and i couldn't get a hold of him again. finally one thursday night at 3am he calls and says "dude, i need your help" and i asked what was wrong and he started crying and said "please, i need your help". i told him i was on my way and jumped in my car and hauled ass to his apartment, 35 minutes away going over 100mph. i got there and no answer. so i just walked in and he was nowhere, it took me a few minutes of searching and then i looked in his closet. he was passed out on the floor in his closet holding an empty bottle of 151. he had taken enough xanax to kill a bull and of course, he was gone. i will never forget grabbing him off the floor and carrying him down 3 flights of stairs to meet the paramedics while sobbing to myself, i was too late. i tried to do CPR for a while and nothing, by the time the paramedics came it was over, they took him to the ER where he was pronounced dead from a xanax overdose.

not very many days go by where i don't think of him. he was my best friend for 6 years and really was a good guy at heart. he would have done anything to help me if i was in his shoes. he left a small note on the counter that read "i'm sorry" and that was it. maybe it was a suicide, maybe not. either way it would not have happen if he was clean. i still have a picture of me and him on my bedroom wall when we were 18 and high on life. he was one of the most down to earth people i ever met and very trustworthly, something i have found to be very rare.

drugs suck!!!

:-\

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 01:22:23 PM »
shity story

a damn shame

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 02:31:57 PM »
Overload, sorry to hear about your friend.

Being a musician, professional since age 15, I've seen a lot in my short time on the planet. I've seen the worst ghettos of Chicago, seen deals go sour in bars and fights happen due to people just misinterpreting one another because they had so much booze in them, their brains were practically swimming. About two months ago, I was done with a gig up North and waiting to be paid. I'm talking to a girl and I hear sort of a slap. Then I hear a loud "CRACK!" and turn around. I see this skinny little guy holding his nose and a bigger biker guy holding his hand up laughing, saying "See, don't F*** with me kid." Smiling the whole time. The slap was the runt hitting the biker playfully, but he misinterpreted it due to all the booze and whatever else he was under the influence on (the girl I was talking to was a local and claimed the guy is a big fan of LSD).
Anyway, I've got a few friends that are killing themselves under different situations. First guy, let's called him "Yub-Yub." He is a big Star Wars fan, and when he heard the ewoks saying that, he would always do it to emulate them, so the name stuck.
I've known him for 14 years, and he was one of the first people I shared the stage with. He's been addicted to coke for close to 30 years now, maybe more. Gone off, cleaned up numerous times. One time, he was fired from his job, the union got the job back for him, ordered the workplace to pay for the rehab upon him choosing that option and he was given paid leave! To top that off, he lives in a house his mother owns, so no rent, just bills and his habit(s). The night he got out of rehab (for a month), he went out on a gig and got high. THE SAME NIGHT. I've been on gigs with him when he didn't show up because he OD'd and was in the hospital. That only happened once. But now his game is to show up late with an excuse, because he's out coppin'.
Another friend, most talented guitar player I've ever known, comes to my house to clean up. He started this about 5 years ago. Just stay a night or two, allow him to not get high and then leave. Guy plays anything, nothing short of amazing. Over the years, the length of stays vary. The last time he was here a week and a half, left for three hours and then came back instantly. He'd gone home comfortable that he could stay clean. But once home, he saw the remains of his last hit (he'd gotten off smack to shoot coke, claiming it's easier to get off of), and tried to cook it up. The landlord knocked on his door, and he made a movie-like escape back to our house.
Every time, every single damn time, the reason he falls off the wagon is women. Occasionally it's pressures of life- be it bills, or lack of gigs etc... Women is the most concerning factor though. Always ends up with a girl who answers when asked "what do you want to do?" and she replies 'Let's get high!' He refuses, but eventually his mental state falters, and he's back at it again. He is no longer allowed at our house, seeing as it's been five years- meaning patterns are now established that he can't get it together. Plus he was picked up breaking into cars (and let go due to lack of evidence), so he's getting worse.
The last friend, same problem as the above guy- women. One in particular, his wife. He's drinking himself to death. His internal organs are shutting down. He's got colitis. He plays out of tune with the band, if he remembers his parts. He's a great friend, but first and foremost, he's got to get rid of his wife. I've seen her start a mild bout with the DT's after an hour long ride to the gig, and not having any booze. Shaking, and the worst lying for excuses you've ever heard in your life.
The list goes on and on, and unforetunately, I think being as young as I am and hanging out in the crowds I do, the list will only continue to get longer.
I'm lucky I never got into anything at all.

ANAL DISCHARGE

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 12:18:16 AM »
I used to be hooked on snuff until I realised that I was weak and pitiful for falling to such an addiciton.  I rose up and became all-powerful.  No more snuff.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 12:56:17 AM »
I don't want to talk about it or will but my 16 year daughter got caught up with the wrong crowd when living in Vegas.  She is so pretty and cute.  I must have a hundred pics of her around my place.  Every single person who has seen her just falls in love.  SO pretty and nice.  Well she has been missing for almost 2 months now.  There isn't a day go by I don't think of her.  thats her at 14.   sorry.

My 20 year year old is also very pretty and she is doing so good with her own line of surf clothing.    That is my grandson too.     

ANAL DISCHARGE

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 03:08:51 AM »
Sorry to hear that Onlyme.  I certainly hope she comes back to you soon.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 09:32:44 AM »
I don't want to talk about it or will but my 16 year daughter got caught up with the wrong crowd when living in Vegas.  She is so pretty and cute.  I must have a hundred pics of her around my place.  Every single person who has seen her just falls in love.  SO pretty and nice.  Well she has been missing for almost 2 months now.  There isn't a day go by I don't think of her.  thats her at 14.   sorry.

My 20 year year old is also very pretty and she is doing so good with her own line of surf clothing.    That is my grandson too.     

Onlyme....

She's 16 & missing....or living on the street & you lost touch?

Do you think she's still in Vegas....or somewhere else like Los Angeles?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2005, 09:49:43 AM »
Well the last time anyone heard from her she was in Venice, Ca.  We never know anymore what to think.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2005, 12:07:30 PM »
Well the last time anyone heard from her she was in Venice, Ca.  We never know anymore what to think.

you could always hire someone

bigjay80

• Getbig II
  • Street Muscle
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 11:06:47 AM »

Hey Bigmike, I feel you dog.  I've been on the same boat for about 4 years now.   I even sold blow for a while just to get mine for free.  The best thing to do is stop surrounding ourselves with certain individuals, focus on other things like our training.  Onlyme, best of luck with the family situation, may God bless you all.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2005, 10:52:07 PM »
Hard stories! Thanks!

Here's my last one on the subject. I might have told it before so this is the short version.

Many years ago, a good friend was the Teen age Ca BB Champ. He was a high school hero and even had his own radio show that was broadcast throughout the entire state of Cal.

He was a very serious lifter hurt and his back while doing heavy squats which required some recoup time in the hospital.

While he was there he got addicted to the pain killers and that addiction continued once he was released.

He had to wear a back brace until we took him swimming in the ocean a few times each week. Within a month he threw the back brace aside and began to walk like any other normal kid his age.

But he still relied on those damn pain killers. And none of  us knew what was happening until one day we found him on the floor going through withdrawals. Not a pleasant sight.

His wife and I got him to the closest hospital and they gave him something to act normal once again, but as soon as we got back to his house and his wife was in bed, he asked me to drive him to a doctor he knew so he could get some more pain killers so those "wthdrawals" wouldn't happen again.

I was young, dumb and stupid so I drove him to some emergency clinic where the doctor he knew gave him what he needed.  The doctor actually came out to the car and told me never to bring him back there again. That's an honest fact.

I soon left to go overseas and returned a year or so later to discover that my friend had attempted suicide. He slit his wrist and passed out on his arm which actually saved his life but his arm was amputated nonetheless.

After that, everything went crazy. It all got worse. It was hell on earth.

I left for another duty station and received a call from my friend about a year later. He said he was on the road to recovery and just needed a bit of help to get on his feet. He wanted to move away from California and come to Hawaii and swim in the ocean again and lay on the beach and straighten out his life. He planned to get a job as a one armed barber. (Honest).

I was not in a position to be of any help so I told him to hold on a bit and I'd get back to him.

Two weeks later he was dead. Took his own life successfully this time. Left a beautiful  wife and baby behind.

Still thought of every day. Still missed. A great person who lost it all to drugs.

Thanks for listening.

xkol

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2005, 10:38:16 PM »
my brother used to smoke crack..he stole 10$ from me once but he fessed up an said sorry an payed me back, he doesnt no more but hes still a alchoholic....

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 11:50:30 AM »
After many years of fighting the good fight I was in an accident and wound up hooked to oxycointin.  I used to mess around with everything back in the 80's, but cleaned up and was clean for almost 10 years.  I knew when the Dr. gave me that first script that it would be trouble, as I truly believe addiction is a predetermined disease.  I wanted to tell him, but the junkie in me didn't.  I know people who can use and stop when ever they want and others who fit into the "1's too many and 1000 arn't enough" category.  That's me.  Once a junkie, always a junkie, wheather using or not.  If you fit into the category of addiction it is either genetic or a chemical imbalance.  The safest way is not to pick up to find out, but like I said, some can get away with it, some can't.  For every hard core junkie their are hundreds of weekend warriors.  Only Me, I have a brother who's hooked on blow and it kills me knowing he has no insurance and doesn't even admit their is a problem, which is the first step in getting clean.  Staying clean is the hardest part.  I hope your daughter gets help.  Don't give up and PM guys like Knny who live in Ca. and will keep an eye open.  I've copied her pic and put it on the wall of my store, so if she's anywhere around here you will know.  I think I can say everyone here feels your pain and will do anything to help.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio