Author Topic: Brady Campaign Gives President 'F' On Gun Control; Calls Him 'Abject Failure'  (Read 3616 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
FINALLY - I FOUND SOMETHING I CAN DEFEND OBAMA ON. 

THIS IS GOOD NEWS FOR OBAMA IMHO. 

VIDEO AT SITE.
________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _

Brady Campaign Gives President 'F' On Gun Control; Calls Him 'Abject Failure'
12:45 pm

January 18, 2010

comments (1)

Recommend (0)

By Mark Memmott

"It's been a very disappointing year for us," Brady Campaign President Paul Helmke said on MSNBC's Daily Rundown this morning, and that's why his organization has given President Barack Obama an "F" on gun control for his first year in office.

"They ran away from the issue," Helmke charged. "The biggest disappointment was his failure to speak out."

The Brady Campaign wanted to see Obama take action on closing the so-called gun show loophole, banning assault weapons and other issues. And it is sharply critical of such actions as the repeal of "Reagan era rules keeping loaded guns out of national parks."

Today, it issued a report called President Obama's First Year: Failed Leadership, Lost Lives. It makes the case that:

Throughout his career, Barack Obama has recognized that it is too easy for dangerous people to get deadly firearms. As a senator and candidate, he promised to stand up to the gun lobby and fight for strong gun laws. Unfortunately, that Barack Obama has been absent in his first year in office. In a year punctuated by mass shootings, ambush killings of police, assault weapon-toting protesters, and profligate gun trafficking from U.S. gun shops that threatens the stability of Mexico, President Obama's first-year record on gun violence prevention has been an abject failure. ...

Rather than showing leadership by calling for the stronger laws Candidate Obama had professed to support, the White House muzzled cabinet members who called for sensible gun laws. Administration officials parroted NRA slogans to just "enforce the law on the books," even though there are few such laws and those are riddled with loopholes. It is no wonder that one pro-gun writer remarked that the NRA "should erect a statue of Barack Obama in front of its D.C. headquarters."
Here is video of Helmke on MSNBC:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

The NRA is not, as you probably know, a fan of the president's either. Even before the president was elected, the NRA had said that he presented "a serious threat to Second Amendment liberties." And gun enthusiasts have been pushing firearm sales sharply higher since the president was elected, in advance of what they think might be restrictions on ownership.

The Brady Campaign is named for Reagan-era White House press secretary James Brady, who was severely wounded in the 1981 assassination attempt on the president. Helmke, a Republican, is the former mayor of Fort Wayne, Ind.

categories: National News, Obama Administration

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/01/brady_campaign_gives_obama_an.html?ft=1&f=103943429

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
:o

Actually, if Obama wants a quick bump in the poll he should be highlighting this honor. 

I myself would wear it as a badge of honor to get an F from this group.  . 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
it's still perfectly legal to walk around a gun show with two AR-15s hanging off your bulletproof vest along with price tags, eager to sell to the first pen-tattooed ex-con with $2500 in hand :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
it's still perfectly legal to walk around a gun show with two AR-15s hanging off your bulletproof vest along with price tags, eager to sell to the first pen-tattooed ex-con with $2500 in hand :)

Obama needs to highlight this.  He would instantly gain some cred. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
his team is smart enough to get him elected... i'm guessing they'll treat this the same way they treated his campaign...

He won't talk about it for fear the left will youtube his ass and he'll hear about it if/when the next nut goes on a shooting rampage.  But he'll certainly have his proxies mention it in fundraising efforts.  And, the next time a crazed gun nut tells you that Obama's going to steal your guns... you can ask him when.  You can remind him that it's political suicide to touch gun rights - particularly after Bush had us pissing our pants with fear the lsat 8 years.

I doubt any politician will 'go after guns' for a very long time.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
his team is smart enough to get him elected... i'm guessing they'll treat this the same way they treated his campaign...

He won't talk about it for fear the left will youtube his ass and he'll hear about it if/when the next nut goes on a shooting rampage.  But he'll certainly have his proxies mention it in fundraising efforts.  And, the next time a crazed gun nut tells you that Obama's going to steal your guns... you can ask him when.  You can remind him that it's political suicide to touch gun rights - particularly after Bush had us pissing our pants with fear the lsat 8 years.

I doubt any politician will 'go after guns' for a very long time.

He doesn't need to.  The states are doing enough gun control for him.  I would be surprised by your reaction to this but I've watched you slide ever leftward since your 9/11 psycho babble.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Actually, if Obama wants a quick bump in the poll he should be highlighting this honor. 

I myself would wear it as a badge of honor to get an F from this group.  . 

In other words - all the right wing paranoia and hysteria that Obama was going to take your guns away (first thing he would have to do prevent the masses from resisting the Marxist takeover of our country) was all for naught.

right?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
lol, 240's self imposed political board embargo didn't last long.  :D

As to the topic, I can't remember Barry ever being anti-gun during the campaign.  IDK though, might just be memory failure.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Wasn't everyone freaking at one point because they thought gun control would increase greatly with Obama in office?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
what are you talking about?  I love the gun show loophole.  And the bradys can suck one!  I was just laughing at how silly some of the folks are at gun shows... wearing 4 rifles with a vest on, and price tags on their hat lol...

And my embargo has a gun-thread exception :)  

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Just curious. What would be an acceptable middle way that both pro and anti gun lobbyists could accept?
Why not just settle on that?
Because what's the point in creating a place that only you and your fellow believers can stand?
As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
neither side wants moderate. 

left wants to ban them completely.  Right wants open carry at presidential debates.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

left wants to ban them completely.  Right wants open carry at presidential debates.

I don't think the majority of Dems want a complete ban on guns

I do think the right
wants zero regulation though

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I don't think the majority of Dems want a complete ban on guns

I do think the right
wants zero regulation though
of course you do just like fox news being a sham but msnbc being a reputable news channel  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

left wants to ban them completely.  Right wants open carry at presidential debates.

Ha ha.  Funny post 240.

maybe if we have open carry at debates these idiots will actually answer a damn question.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Just curious. What would be an acceptable middle way that both pro and anti gun lobbyists could accept?
Why not just settle on that?
Because what's the point in creating a place that only you and your fellow believers can stand?

I am not ok w anyone who is not ardently for the 2nd amendment any different than I am not ok with anyone not ardently for the 1st amendment. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I am not ok w anyone who is not ardently for the 2nd amendment any different than I am not ok with anyone not ardently for the 1st amendment. 

I see a smart lawyer talking to a dumb hick

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I heard a terrorist sympathizer argue for the faux-assault weapons ban from a man who is a complete disgrace.   

Marc Rich & FLAN Terrorists anyone?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I see a smart lawyer talking to a dumb hick
straw do you even know what the "assault weapons ban" did?

if you do please tell me how you think it helped?

if you dont please educate yourself and tell me what you think of it...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I heard a terrorist sympathizer argue for the faux-assault weapons ban from a man who is a complete disgrace.   

Marc Rich & FLAN Terrorists anyone?

who is the terrorist sypathizer?

Coburn?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
I have a question.  How come Wyatt Earp is not unpopular with the second amendment crowd?  Infact they're likely to have a movie or book on the shelf at home :D  Just always wondered about that.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
anyone remember the AB-10?  The 'after-ban" ten round tech nine for $189 that coincidentally accepted the 30-round mags that were mass produced right before the brady bill kicked in.  Every serious gun afficiado shit on them cause they jammed and looked so menacing.

It seems like increased registration has helped to limit the dirty gun traffic that was such a big deal in early 90s.  Plus they cost a shitload more now.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
straw do you even know what the "assault weapons ban" did?

if you do please tell me how you think it helped?

if you dont please educate yourself and tell me what you think of it...
bump for an answer straw...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
anyone remember the AB-10?  The 'after-ban" ten round tech nine for $189 that coincidentally accepted the 30-round mags that were mass produced right before the brady bill kicked in.  Every serious gun afficiado shit on them cause they jammed and looked so menacing.

It seems like increased registration has helped to limit the dirty gun traffic that was such a big deal in early 90s.  Plus they cost a shitload more now.
serious question, anybody know the stats on gun crimes during the brady ban and before and after the ban?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
yeah, i would like to hear the stats too. 

I think increased technology has stopped a lot of crime in the near-20 years since the early 90s when shit was so hectic with guns.  You rob a store now, you're on 5 cameras between the parking lot and the 7-11.  better chance you'll be caught.  Plus in FL, the 5-10-25 to life rule has a lot of bad guys scared.

many (smart) people stocked up as the bill started being discussed, knowing the political climate - much like the wise ones bought their guns in 2007/early 08 when it was obvious a dem was getting in.

Still, it would cost any dem a TOn of swing voters to even mention anythign related to anti-gun.  I don't know of anythign Obama has said.  I think holder mumbled something one, supposing, and people went apeshit.  Obama smelled the temperature and left it alone.  Only 1/4 of his term is done, but losing congress in the fall will help prevent it as well.  IF he was gonna go anti-gun, it would have HAD to have been in 2009.