Author Topic: lower back pain  (Read 3882 times)

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
lower back pain
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:53:15 PM »
hey guys, about 3 weeks ago i was doing barbell rows and hurt my back.  i remember it being sore that day, and figuring the pain would go away.  it hasnt, and i cant do any squats or leg presses because the pain in the lower part by the pelvis is too bad.  it also hurts to get in/out of a chair.  what do you guys recommend i do?  ive avoided all exercises basically that stress the lower back, and it hasnt gotten better. 

go to a chiropractor?
I dont like twinks.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: lower back pain
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »
See a doctor before a chiro.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:12:19 AM »
See a doc but there are lots of things can be at play with low back pain.  It could be something as simple as needing a new pair of shoes.  But yeah, see a doc. 

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:09:28 AM »
Little confused here. You say the lower back but than say the pain is in the lower pelvic area. The lower pelvic area may suggest a hernia problem, rather than back. If you press against the lower ab wall and feel pain and/or a bulge than that may suggest hernia. Seek medical attention.

If actually the lower back, than hopefully a mild strain or slight nerve damage. Which usually requires only rest for either. If not getting better with-in a week, than something more serious perhaps. Time to have a medical checkup. If you live in America, than you can see a doctor as soon as needed. Good Luck.
F

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »
Before doing anything, i'd try a week of icing it up.  Lay off the gym for the week, and after work, come home and lay on a bag of frozen peas (or any ice bag).  Stay off your feet.

I suspect you have a bulging disk.  The ice will take care of the inflammation in the area which will allow the site to heal.   Disk fluid is affecting a nerve, causing you pain. 

After icing for a week, the pain and problem should subside.  Try to figure out the stimulus of the pain and don't repeat that exercise.

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 05:51:35 PM »
ok thanks.

what kind of doctor should i see if not a chiropractor?

i am pretty sure it isnt a hernia.  I dont have any of those bumps around my abs
I dont like twinks.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »
ok thanks.

what kind of doctor should i see if not a chiropractor?

i am pretty sure it isnt a hernia.  I dont have any of those bumps around my abs

Sports medicine would be your best bet.

Do you have chronic LBP or was this an acute thing?  Chronic LBP will often arise from a lack of hamstring flexibility.

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:18 PM »
Sports medicine would be your best bet.

Do you have chronic LBP or was this an acute thing?  Chronic LBP will often arise from a lack of hamstring flexibility.

not chronic, this is the first time ive ever experienced this
I dont like twinks.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »
Pretty much have to go to a GP first. Than, perhaps, a referral by him/her. All this may depend if you live in the U.S. and are using insurance. If your a millionaire (like a few GB'ers suggest they are) than not a problem, just about any doctor would be available to you. In any event, have X-rays done, among other things.

Sport doctors and sports medicine usually not needed by the average guy who works out. Mostly on a higher scale of more serious training (can be very expensive per visit) athletes. There are deep massages and muscle/joint/spine treatments that may or may not help. Depends on the results of the X-rays and your doctors exam and judgment. Good Luck.
F

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:44:05 AM »
I've been having the exact same problem for about 6 weeks now.

I got advice from a GP and from Nasser El Sonbaty :)  Both were pretty similar actually.

Look up "mechanical back pain" in google to see some stretches that you can do.  There's one lower back stretching machine that some gyms have that help relieve pain and probably recover as well.  Every time I go to the gym I use that stretching machine followed by going very light on a lower back machine (the  one that's like hyperextensions except you sit upright and push backwards against a pad that's connected to the weight stack).  After doing these two my back feels almost perfect for the next few hours so I can do the rest of my workout but I still stay away from deadlifts, bent over rows, seated cable rows, or any quad exercise besides leg extensions.  I might add partial rep hack squats soon though since the pain is slowly getting better.

Another stretch  you can do at home without gym equipment is to just lie on your back and bring your knees up and with your arms pull your knees towards your chest.  Also, when sitting in a chair you can simply bend over, bringing your chest towards your knees.  Try these stretches 3-4 times a day.

I'm hoping my pain will go away within another 6 weeks or so.

Nasser also recommended do these stretches even after the pain is relieved on a regular basis, to lessen  the likelihood of it reoccuring.

The GP I saw said I can see a physiotherarpist or chiropractor but that it wasn't really necessary.  He also said X-Ray is pointless since the damage is not to the bones.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:28:02 AM »

I got advice from a GP and from Nasser El Sonbaty :)  Both were pretty similar actually.

Look up "mechanical back pain" in google to see some stretches that you can do.  There's one lower back stretching machine that some gyms have that help relieve pain and probably recover as well.  Every time I go to the gym I use that stretching machine followed by going very light on a lower back machine (the  one that's like hyperextensions except you sit upright and push backwards against a pad that's connected to the weight stack).  After doing these two my back feels almost perfect for the next few hours so I can do the rest of my workout but I still stay away from deadlifts, bent over rows, seated cable rows, or any quad exercise besides leg extensions.  I might add partial rep hack squats soon though since the pain is slowly getting better.

Another stretch  you can do at home without gym equipment is to just lie on your back and bring your knees up and with your arms pull your knees towards your chest.  Also, when sitting in a chair you can simply bend over, bringing your chest towards your knees.  Try these stretches 3-4 times a day.

Nasser also recommended do these stretches even after the pain is relieved on a regular basis, to lessen  the likelihood of it reoccuring.

The GP I saw said I can see a physiotherarpist or chiropractor but that it wasn't really necessary.  He also said X-Ray is pointless since the damage is not to the bones.

excellent advice

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »
thanks guys.  will make an appointment to see a doc.
I dont like twinks.

DylanPG

• Getbig II
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 02:02:16 PM »

Look up "mechanical back pain" in google to see some stretches that you can do.  There's one lower back stretching machine that some gyms have that help relieve pain and probably recover as well.  Every time I go to the gym I use that stretching machine followed by going very light on a lower back machine (the  one that's like hyperextensions except you sit upright and push backwards against a pad that's connected to the weight stack).  After doing these two my back feels almost perfect for the next few hours so I can do the rest of my workout but I still stay away from deadlifts, bent over rows, seated cable rows, or any quad exercise besides leg extensions.  I might add partial rep hack squats soon though since the pain is slowly getting better.

Not true.  Many people get low back pain like this, myself included, and don't know what's going on until they get X-Rays.  It wasn't until I got them that I found out that I had a partial sacralization occur and that was what was in fact causing my back pain.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
thanks guys.  will make an appointment to see a doc.

Got an update? 

Mine is pretty muck "back" to normal now, took about 3 months though to get better.  I think it was bad seated posture over months/years that caused mine.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 09:44:34 PM »
You should have a regular GP. If you don't, get one.

GP> referral> X-Rays> Orthopedic Surgeon>Consultation>Solution

There have been many, many books written on Back Pain/Injury alone. There is no way anyone here could begin to diagnose your problem from the internet.

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »
Got an update?  

Mine is pretty muck "back" to normal now, took about 3 months though to get better.  I think it was bad seated posture over months/years that caused mine.

hi pal.  i never went to the doctor.  it eventually went away on its own.  took it about 7-8 weeks i would guess.  i am back to doing regular squats now.  never thought i would be happy to do squats, but i am.
I dont like twinks.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 11:49:09 AM »
hi pal.  i never went to the doctor.  it eventually went away on its own.  took it about 7-8 weeks i would guess.  i am back to doing regular squats now.  never thought i would be happy to do squats, but i am.

Good to hear :)

Even though mine is better I still do that seated pivoting-chair lower back stretch every workout, NASSER told me it lessens the likelihood of reoccuring

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 09:35:14 PM »
Good to hear :)

Even though mine is better I still do that seated pivoting-chair lower back stretch every workout, NASSER told me it lessens the likelihood of reoccuring

nice man.  I will give that a shot.  does the Legendary Nasser have any more training tips he is willing to share?
I dont like twinks.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »

Ha I feel that same whenever I have some back or hip pain.  "This isn't so bad I won't have to squat for a while" but then after a workout or two I always miss it.

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
Ha I feel that same whenever I have some back or hip pain.  "This isn't so bad I won't have to squat for a while" but then after a workout or two I always miss it.

hell yeah
I dont like twinks.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
just inject some synthol around your spine to cushion it.....paine gone...

bench

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »
nice man.  I will give that a shot.  does the Legendary Nasser have any more training tips he is willing to share?

Sorry didn't see this earlier, yes one is to focus on doing one-leg exercises for legs since it forces you to use a lighter weight which puts less straight on your lower back.  For example - one-legged smith machine squats, lunges, one-legged hack squats, leg press.  Front squats are also easier on the lower back than traditional squats. 

When the back is in pain, even a little bit, lay off exercises that put pressure on it, especially bent over rows or anything where you are holding a weight while being bent over - such as rear delt lateral raises for example - unless you're lying with your front on a bench.  He also recommended doing t-bar rows with a chest rest pad over barbell rows during injury.