Author Topic: Different pressing power in each arm  (Read 1940 times)

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
Different pressing power in each arm
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
So, I tore my left bicep about two years ago. I had it surgically repaired and everything is pretty much back to normal. But, as of late, my left arm lags behind my right as far as pressing power. Nothing drastic, but enough that it is noticeable to my spotters and me. It doesn't make sense to me, because of course the bicep is used for pulling not pushing. I have worn an elbow sleeve brace anytime I go heavy for pressing movements on my left arm, and I don't know if this has caused some sort of deterioration in the arm. My right arm has always been bigger than my left, and still is. I've worked out for almost 20 years and NEVER had this problem. Any ideas or suggestions from the Getbig brethren?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Different pressing power in each arm
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:31:09 PM »
Switch to DB's so the weak arm can catch up.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »
So, I tore my left bicep about two years ago. I had it surgically repaired and everything is pretty much back to normal. But, as of late, my left arm lags behind my right as far as pressing power. Nothing drastic, but enough that it is noticeable to my spotters and me. It doesn't make sense to me, because of course the bicep is used for pulling not pushing. I have worn an elbow sleeve brace anytime I go heavy for pressing movements on my left arm, and I don't know if this has caused some sort of deterioration in the arm. My right arm has always been bigger than my left, and still is. I've worked out for almost 20 years and NEVER had this problem. Any ideas or suggestions from the Getbig brethren?

Everyone has muscular imbalances, this is why you should ALWAYS train unilateral movements.

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:53:09 PM »

I do these as well, and there is no noticeable difference whatsoever, from heavy to light dumbells

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:56:26 PM »
I seriously hope this didn't result in any serious decline in the training poundages we saw in your training journal.
follow the arrows

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:14 PM »
I seriously hope this didn't result in any serious decline in the training poundages we saw in your training journal.

Bwahahaha, nah, bro. I still deadlift contestants from The Biggest Loser and press Chevy big blocks for fun. I need to update that thing, writers block has put me on hiatus for to long now :)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:01:45 PM »
I do these as well, and there is no noticeable difference whatsoever, from heavy to light dumbells
Do you mean you notice no strength difference between the two arms or the one won't improve?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:09:10 PM »
Do you mean you notice no strength difference between the two arms or the one won't improve?

It's really odd man. Example, using dumbells for shoulder or chest press, dumbells come up and down at the same rate. Doing something like skullcrushers, my arms come up at the same rate. Its only when using a bar for chest or shoulder press is when it becomes noticeable. I know everyone has these little kinks in their form now and again, but I have seen guys get progressively worse in their form when these things happen. I just don't want this be be a minor nuisance now and a full blown headache a year from now. The strength feals exactly the same in each arm, my grip is always precise and form is as close to perfect as you can get.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »
It's really odd man. Example, using dumbells for shoulder or chest press, dumbells come up and down at the same rate. Doing something like skullcrushers, my arms come up at the same rate. Its only when using a bar for chest or shoulder press is when it becomes noticeable. I know everyone has these little kinks in their form now and again, but I have seen guys get progressively worse in their form when these things happen. I just don't want this be be a minor nuisance now and a full blown headache a year from now. The strength feals exactly the same in each arm, my grip is always precise and form is as close to perfect as you can get.
What about front raises, BB or DB? Notice any difference? 
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 09:44:20 PM »
Bwahahaha, nah, bro. I still deadlift contestants from The Biggest Loser and press Chevy big blocks for fun. I need to update that thing, writers block has put me on hiatus for to long now :)
ITS ALL IN YER HEAD BRO, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

;)
follow the arrows

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »
What about front raises, BB or DB? Notice any difference? 

No difference for stuff like that. Honestly, since my surgery on my left bicep, it(the bicep) is definitely stronger than the right bicep. Hammer rows and other pulling exercises feal much easier for my left arm than right arm. But it is my left tricep that seems to be weaker, just because of the uneven bar on presses. Really wierd...........

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
ITS ALL IN YER HEAD BRO, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

;)

Yeah, I know thats part of it. I think whenever you have a bad injury like I did, you get really gun shy on movements that normally you wouldn't think twice about. And over time, you psyche yourself out because you don't want to get hurt and be out of the gym again. Thanks for the replies, I'm off to sleep now.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »
I would doubt that most of your current problem is in your head, you saying that the left bicep is now stronger than the right. And biceps are used , in a lesser role, when doing any pressing motion, including dips. Even exercises like skull crushers, pushdowns, etc. You are not holding a heavy weight overhead just from triceps involvement alone. (as to the above: though I do believe that the mind/attitude are 50%, or more, part of lifting)

One though may be a slight nerve cramping or pressure with-in the left tricep/bicep. This can have a root cause  from around the traps and neck area also. Would suggest, if not done already with the rehab you went through, deep sport or Rolfing massages.  Any path of a nerve(s) can be limited in function (nerve muscle impulses) which can reduce their full potential for max strength. May also suggest spinal (including neck/traps) adjustments. Good Luck.
F

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »
I would doubt that most of your current problem is in your head, you saying that the left bicep is now stronger than the right. And biceps are used , in a lesser role, when doing any pressing motion, including dips. Even exercises like skull crushers, pushdowns, etc. You are not holding a heavy weight overhead just from triceps involvement alone. (as to the above: though I do believe that the mind/attitude are 50%, or more, part of lifting)

One though may be a slight nerve cramping or pressure with-in the left tricep/bicep. This can have a root cause  from around the traps and neck area also. Would suggest, if not done already with the rehab you went through, deep sport or Rolfing massages.  Any path of a nerve(s) can be limited in function (nerve muscle impulses) which can reduce their full potential for max strength. May also suggest spinal (including neck/traps) adjustments. Good Luck.

Really solid advice man. I've never gone in for any type of tissue massage ever. I know it would help me all over. I actually believe I have a pinched nerve or disc as well. Anytime I do squats or good mornings, my hands and legs go numb while the bar is on my back, and lasts for about a day. So, needless to say, I gave those up years ago in favor of leg press, hacks,etc. But I wonder if there is something to what you suggested, having a pinched nerve starting to affect me in different areas.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »
Top lifters and athletes have deep (will give unbelievable  pain at first) massages and joint/spine adjustments  as part of a training protocol. Going numb strongly suggest nerve blockage or damage. Even foot and ankle massage/adjustments can help people. All this can also help body side to side muscle balance. All this may cost some extra bucks, but to the serious lifter well worth it. Good Luck.
F

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
Top lifters and athletes have deep (will give unbelievable  pain at first) massages and joint/spine adjustments  as part of a training protocol. Going numb strongly suggest nerve blockage or damage. Even foot and ankle massage/adjustments can help people. All this can also help body side to side muscle balance. All this may cost some extra bucks, but to the serious lifter well worth it. Good Luck.

I'm definitely going to go this route. If anything, after 20 years of lifting, I could use it anyway. And maybe it can help with this imbalance as well. Thanks bro, good advice from this thread and you specificlly.  :)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »
X2

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »

One though may be a slight nerve cramping or pressure with-in the left tricep/bicep.
I was wondering about this as a possible side effect from the surgery to repair the bicep?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!