Author Topic: Yanks - 19 year old enough serve your country but they cannot drink alcohol ?  (Read 3854 times)

Stark

• Getbig V
Bit fucked up isn't it?
So in the US its perfectly ok for a 19 year old to serve and maybe even die for their country but it isn't legal to serve this same 19 year old a beer?

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
yep..screwy as it sounds..at least you can vote at 18..used to be 21...

but when you are underage and in the service you can get alcohol anywhere..there isn't a shortage of places to serve you...i learned to drink in the service...
footloose and fancy free

io856

why the hell would you join the army... there is no pussy in the army... and when you die you can't have sex...  ???

natural selection at work  :D

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
Yes you can shoot a gun and kill people, and be shot and die, yet not have legally experienced a beer. What a crock, shouldn't they raise the age of soldiers to 21? At least then you would fully understand what you were getting yourself into before you decide on a whim after school finishes to go and fight whoever you're told overseas.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Hey they're letting us have 2 beers for the superbowl. Of course u need to be 21 and drink it in the chowhall, and sign in...and basically take the fun out of it. The Army would take the fun out of coke and hookers.

There is plenty of pussy in the Army...AF...Marines...Na vy. People are people dude. And schocking as it may seem, they let us off Post occasionally.
L

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
yep it's bullshit...your not ready or mature enough to be allowed to drink yet.....but take this gun & go die for your country though....I think you mean 18 though...thats when your considered an adult in America...
DAWG

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
The legal drinking age used to be 18 but was raised because of all the drunk driving deaths.

But, when you frame the argument your way, it's impossible to defend.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Its not like they don't drink.....I found a way at that age.
L

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
why the hell would you join the army... there is no pussy in the army... and when you die you can't have sex...  ???

seriously bro..what planet are you on? getting laid in the army is the second most important activity in the military...
footloose and fancy free

spinnis

Bit fucked up isn't it?
So in the US its perfectly ok for a 19 year old to serve and maybe even die for their country but it isn't legal to serve this same 19 year old a beer?

what more fucked up is that you can get your damn driving licence when you're 16 but not even drink,

Epic being able to handle a lethal weapon, but not have a beer

headhuntersix

• Getbig V

seriously bro..what planet are you on? getting laid in the army is the second most important activity in the military...

I guess they think we're locked in or something. Even deployed people are banging each other off the walls at the bigger FOBs. We've got AF on ours here and all the support pukes tend to have plenty of females...which end up as chew toys for the door kickers.
L

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Its not like they don't drink.....I found a way at that age.

Aren't under-21 U.S. military personnel allowed to drink if they're serving in a country where the minimum drinking age is lower?

The legal drinking age used to be 18 but was raised because of all the drunk driving deaths.

The problem was never the drinking age, it was the sentencing.  And that's still true today. 

Norway and Austria (among others) have KICK ASS punishments for drunk drivers. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Nobody will stop u from drinking in Korea or any other country but if u show up back on post/base drunk ur done.....They have checkpoints with MPs near the Dutch border looking for GI's returning from pot bars in Holland. There is a no one under 21 policy....as long as ur not an idiot about it, most work around it.
L

Natural Man

• Getbig V
the army is where people with 0 skills go . 80% of the staff is made of grunts: their parents dont know what to do with them, so they give em to another institution that will use their life against money to kill other people. That's still better than letting the kids stay at home until 40 with mom and dad anyway.
Good money to be made tho, even if you re sacrifying a lot of time and relationships. If you prefer having friends instead of a family, that's the thing to do.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Thanks, HH6.  Yeah, readiness - as it should be - was the primary concern.  When I was deployed, you could return to the ship drunk, but you had to arrive back at least 8 hours before your next shift was to begin.  The rationale was that they'd rather have you drunk onboard than drunk 'out in town'.  If the OOD thought you were intoxicated and you were inside the 8-hour window, you were screwed, although the punishment for that was actually less severe than I received for breaking the buddy system.   ::)

the army is where people with 0 skills go . 80% of the staff is made of grunts: their parents dont know what to do with them, so they give em to another institution that will use their life against money to kill other people. That's still better than letting the kids stay at home until 40 with mom and dad anyway.
Good money to be made tho, even if you re sacrifying a lot of time and relationships. If you prefer having friends instead of a family, that's the thing to do.

You'd be surprised at how many young enlisted guys in the military can earn a good living for themselves using the skills and work ethic they bring to the table.  Everyone knows they get paid shit, but the guys who were willing to hustle could earn some nice pocket money on the side.  A couple of the supply guys would press your uniforms for you for a couple of bucks.  I didn't feel like ironing and they were good at it, so why not use that service?  Other dudes shined shoes.  When you were in port, if you didn't feel like going out, you could sell your liberty to guys who wanted extra time.  I think shifts went for as little as $40-50...pretty cheap for an extra day off.  I did payday advance loans and ran the sports book. 

Life in the military really helps to develop certain people's entrepreneurial skills.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
I did payday advance loans and ran the sports book. 

Life in the military really helps to develop certain people's entrepreneurial skills.
Crapgame?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
We were talking about this at chow...they're letting the guys drink at the superbowl, regardless of age. As far as the 0% skills things..I won't even touch it.
L

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Crapgame?

hehe

Everything was cool until we got a new CO onboard who flat out 'frowned upon gambling' and sent the word down.  I mean, even the brothas had to give up playing 'bones' (that's dominoes to you) for the small stakes they played for. 

I tried to get around it by conducting ALL transactions off the ship (a rule I strictly enforced  ;D), but eventually, so many guys got scared that it wasn't worthwhile for me to continue the book.  So, for the remainder of that season, I would just sell my picks and the bookie in the shipyard at Portsmouth took all my game action.  The most memorable part of that season, however, was *killing* on the parlays.  Ah, those were the days. 

The new prohibition on gambling was tough to deal with, because it was a service the guys had become used to, but no one could touch me on the loans. 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV

this is rich...i suppose those in the military with bachelors, masters, and phd had zero skills too? not to mention engineers, tradesman, and technicians that are part of the military today--no skills too? maybe those guys that fly choppers, jets, and navigate those things called boats--no skills?  what a moron you portray yourself to be...your father should have jerked off the night he knocked up your mom---
footloose and fancy free

hossie59

• Getbig II
Aren't under-21 U.S. military personnel allowed to drink if they're serving in a country where the minimum drinking age is lower?

The problem was never the drinking age, it was the sentencing.  And that's still true today. 

Norway and Austria (among others) have KICK ASS punishments for drunk drivers. 

Yes if the rule in the country for drinking is 18 than it is 18 for military personnel. We had allot of young soldiers in Germany go ape shit downtown when they found out they could legally get trashed at the bar. They changed the base rules a few years ago as well so you could buy/drink on base at 18 as well (again if the host country rules say 18).

hossie59

• Getbig II

100% of your knowledge is pulled out of your ass. I love when people hate on the very military that secures there freedom but when the time comes to make a decision on what side to be on you hide behind these "unskilled" fuck ups like the bitch you are. Enjoy the view from the back pussy.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
100% of your knowledge is pulled out of your ass. I love when people hate on the very military that secures there freedom but when the time comes to make a decision on what side to be on you hide behind these "unskilled" fuck ups like the bitch you are. Enjoy the view from the back pussy.
sorry didnt mind to hurt the military and its soldiers feelings, looks like you might be one of em or have someone in your family "serving". I deeply respect the military and the security it provides us here at home, and as i said it already i think it's better to learn things in the military than to stay at home doign nothing in our cities BUT...

I still maintain the army is where people with 0 skills go . 80% of the staff is made of grunts: their parents dont know what to do with them, so they give em to another institution that will use their life against money to kill other people. That's still better than letting the kids stay at home until 40 with mom and dad playing video games all day anyway.

Again sorry if some people on here who have links with the military got hurt when i said most of em enlist cause they dont know what else they would do of their existences. Like the many mexican immigrants who join just to get a visa too.

Like it or not, that's also what the military is made of, and i dont see the problem telling it like it is. Doesnt mean the army sucks or anything. At all.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.

natural selection at work  :D
Thats actually artificial selection.  There is nothing natural about dying for your country as far as individual gene survival goes and that is all we in fact are, potential gene replicators.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!

ahh no, military dudes get mad pussy.
A

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
Bit fucked up isn't it?

Weve got a bunch of those weird laws here!
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!