Author Topic: 5 x 5 failure....now what??  (Read 1394 times)

splank

• Getbig II
5 x 5 failure....now what??
« on: January 28, 2010, 06:34:07 AM »
 After 14 weeks, I have finally had two bad weeks in a row with my benching. I have failed to complete 5 sets of 5 each week. I only missed by two reps last week and 1 rep this week, each on the last set. What is a good alternative to the 5 x5 program. I have read that doing a 5 x 3 will help; however, I am just wondering if it may be more beneficial to take a short break from the heavy lifting and just do 3 x 8-12 for awhile. Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

nolotil

• Getbig III
Re: 5 x 5 failure....now what??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »
After 14 weeks, I have finally had two bad weeks in a row with my benching. I have failed to complete 5 sets of 5 each week. I only missed by two reps last week and 1 rep this week, each on the last set. What is a good alternative to the 5 x5 program. I have read that doing a 5 x 3 will help; however, I am just wondering if it may be more beneficial to take a short break from the heavy lifting and just do 3 x 8-12 for awhile. Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

you can do MANY things  ;)...you can prolong cycle by for example doing 3x3 for a couple of weeks or you can stop cycle and go back in weights and start a new cycle with submaximal weights** (but abit highter starting weights compared to last cycle) and then work up from there,,,

**gives your body a break too

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »
the type of 5x5 system you are doing is very good and simple system,, specially for intermediate stage lifter,,

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Usually on a system like 5X5's, you remain on it for 3 month. Than after a break of 1 or 2 weeks try another system, (may also be 3 months or so). Something that may be easier on your joints and CNS. When you start missing or falling short of planned rep's, that may be the first clue that you need a change for awhile. Do try 3X8-12, which can be more joint friendly for you. I usually switch to 10X10's after a longer period of PR and heavy partial rep training. Always better on the joints and can help increase strength and form in the off season. Good Luck.
F

splank

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:04:22 AM »
Usually on a system like 5X5's, you remain on it for 3 month. Than after a break of 1 or 2 weeks try another system, (may also be 3 months or so). Something that may be easier on your joints and CNS. When you start missing or falling short of planned rep's, that may be the first clue that you need a change for awhile. Do try 3X8-12, which can be more joint friendly for you. I usually switch to 10X10's after a longer period of PR and heavy partial rep training. Always better on the joints and can help increase strength and form in the off season. Good Luck.

After giving it a little thought, I have to agree. I was going to drop to the 5x 3 for awhile, but I think I will benefit from a lighter workout (3 x 8-12). My joints will be much more thankful for that than to continue pounding away at the heavier weights. I guess I will just wait and see what happens. It can't really hurt anything I suppose.

Thanks for the push in the right direction.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 03:22:51 AM »
Do not stop - you improved... 2 failed reps... than only one... keep going... only stop after you fail 3 times in more than one exercise and no improvement in performance is given e.g. fail 2 reps, next week fail 2 reps, next week fail 2 reps...