Author Topic: Training with chains  (Read 3646 times)

joeB

• Getbig II
Training with chains
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »
Has anyone done it before? i am going to try it soon i was just wondering if anyone has tried it, and what are some pros and cons of it

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Training with chains
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:11:27 PM »
What made you choose chains over bands?

joeB

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
Ive used bands before, and it just feels like the main thing they do is give you a pump no real strength or muscle gains from them..Chains i can see it being incorporated in weighted exercises..i.e bench, curls, side laterals w.e...so i figure they would hit a different spot of the muscle since the hardest part of the lift would be at the top of the body movement since it is constantly going to get heavier..not sure what do you think?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »
I wonder if we’re talking about the same thing.
The bands I’m referring to are used in place of chains, but employ the same principle – increasing tension throughout the concentric portion of the movement.

Have a look at this article:

http://www.prowriststraps.com/how_to_use_bands_weight_lifting_powerlifting_exercise_fitness_resistance_bands

And, they’re not the best videos, but they’ll give you an idea of one way to employ bands:

joeB

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
oo right i should of known you were talking about that...yea i never thought of using the bands..it seems like they pretty much do the same thing..both creating a certain amount of tension..im going to read that article before i go any further..but im assuming the main thing they do is increase strength?..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Yes, strength.
Bands adjust/accommodate resistance so that there’s less tension on your weakest part of the rep, but more on the strongest portion.
Done in this manner, you maximally hit all your bases.

Bands are much easier to transport, simpler to set up, and more cost effective than chains.

I’ve known quite a few proficient power lifters who’ve switched to band use after previously working with chains.

joeB

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »
alrite makes sense... i will try that instead since i already own bands...now can i only use them on large body part exercises..bench.squats. .or can i get creative with them and use them with shoulders or arms?..thanks for your help

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »
You're welcome.

First, thoroughly read the article I posted above.
You need to fully understand all the details before attempting to use them. The authors also provide some good application examples later in the article.

Then you can decide the best approach.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »
Bands can create a "snappy" feel to them meaning they want to slingshot the weight down, where chains are just like dead weight (no tension).

Used both, sometimes together, mostly seperate. The bands I felt gave me more of a pump, where the chains I felt were more strength.

JMO.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 08:29:46 PM »
What are your opinions on the BowFlex principles?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »
What are your opinions on the BowFlex principles?

PowerRods are gay.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 08:43:02 PM »
We used to have proficient mods who could prove the superiority of Bow Flex over all other conventional and alternative protocols.

And they had the pictures to prove their logic, too.

joeB

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »
the more i read on bands in this article it seems like they are a great to finish off your workouts..kind of like the finishing touch to a arm or shoulder workout..it seems like they are great for pumps..but saying that i guess thats if you only use them by themselves...when u add weights into this thats when you can really create strength gains..i can see the difference between chains and bands..i think im going to give both a shot, it looks lik they both have there benefits and negatives..i know exactly what chaos is talking about with the snapping motion chaos is talking about since i have used bands before but thats only by themselves..im going to try both and see for myself..thanks for all the advice

joeB

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »
sorry brutal grammer there

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »

speaking of chains & bands....

this shit had just came out when I started workin out....they along with STP helped me alot....
DAWG

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 09:01:11 PM »
We used to have proficient mods who could prove the superiority of Bow Flex over all other conventional and alternative protocols.

And they had the pictures to prove their logic, too.

Those days are gone, now you only have mods that use antiquated equipment like iron weights, barbells, DB's, kettlebells, bands, chains, tires......etc.

I feel we've regressed. :(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 09:05:12 PM »
 ;D
I was just setting a Pumpster slam on the tee thinking you'd take a swing.

Anyway, enjoy your weekend, brother!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »
;D
I was just setting a Pumpster slam on the tee thinking you'd take a swing.

Anyway, enjoy your weekend, brother!

Et tu, Montague! 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
I've used both on dynamic effort work on the bench, squat and deadlift, and prefer the chains for one reason. They are MUCH easier on your joints. Bands make me hurt for a couple days in the joints, chains not so much. They both help a lot for development of strength threwout the entire strength curve, beginning to end of any given movement. I think Louie Simmons of Westside advised going 3 weeks of chains/3 weeks of bands and so forth. But, the bands are a hell of a lot easier to transport. Just throw them in the gym bag and go. Most commercial gyms give you the stink eye and WTF is he doing, when they see you lugging in a set of chains.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 06:10:37 AM »
Most commercial gyms give you the stink eye and WTF is he doing, when they see you lugging in a set of chains.

Yeah, that’s one more point I meant to mention last night, but was too damn exhausted.
Interesting facts about chains being easier on the joints, and it makes perfect sense.

I was never a power-lifter, but I’ve spent a good bit of time around my share.
In most cases, the gyms that saw chain use were privately owned and the guys using them knew the owners and just left them there along with their other tempered bars, boards, and other equipment - all locked up in a back room of course.