Author Topic: Obama to end "Dont ask, Dont' tell"  (Read 13958 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Obama to end "Dont ask, Dont' tell"
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »
GALLUP

79% of americans support gays and lesbian

61% of weekly churchgoers support it as well!

58% of conservatives support repeal of Dont Ask.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
This should have been repealed long ago. Other armies allow gays in their ranks and nothing catastrophic has happened to them.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »
None of those people have to live with gays...and I don't mean a cubicle across...I mean shower, eat sleep....basically spend  every waking moment with them.  The military is by and large conservative and alot of people will have a major heart burn with this. The MSNBC douchebags keep pointing to some letter signed by over 100 senior flag officers saying repeal it...they don't mention another one with over 500 saying don't do it. We don't need this right now...Don't ask works...leave it alone.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 04:55:10 AM »
None of those people have to live with gays...and I don't mean a cubicle across...I mean shower, eat sleep....basically spend  every waking moment with them.  The military is by and large conservative and alot of people will have a major heart burn with this. The MSNBC douchebags keep pointing to some letter signed by over 100 senior flag officers saying repeal it...they don't mention another one with over 500 saying don't do it. We don't need this right now...Don't ask works...leave it alone.

This is just:

1.  A rouse to get the base excited. 

2.  A distraction from the horrific budget figures. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 04:59:27 AM »
I would agree except the DOD is moving ahead so they have been planning this for awhile. Obama is a douchebag. Homosexual activity is incapable with the US military. Everybody doesn't have a right to serve...if ur deaf or retarded or blind or old..u can't serve. That lifestyle is not compatible with the culture.
L

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 05:36:36 AM »
Obama isn't ending anything. This has to go through Congress, first. It will take at least a year for Gates' "study" to be completed.

By that time, the Dems (who passed "Don't Ask; Don't Tell" in the early 90s) might not be in power.

The attempt will likely be to try and sneak a repeal bill through the works, ala the "Hate Crimes" bill. But, I don't see that flying, especially during an election year.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 05:47:42 AM »
it's funny timing that obama announces this long-planned action - on the same day his sneaky budget dropped ;)

Whe Bush did this on shit, we just called it a coincidence.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 06:00:31 AM »
it's funny timing that obama announces this long-planned action - on the same day his sneaky budget dropped ;)

After the beating he took two weeks ago, Obama needs to rally the troops. That's what this whole "Don't Ask; Don't Tell" flap is about.

He's blown health care, the economy, national security, and a host of other issues. At this pace, the Dems are primed to take the worst beating, perhaps, in political history.

We're now at the 9-month mark. He has to do something drastic and quickly, or it's a trip to the woodshed for Team Obama.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2010, 06:06:04 AM »
After the beating he took two weeks ago, Obama needs to rally the troops. That's what this whole "Don't Ask; Don't Tell" flap is about.

He's blown health care, the economy, national security, and a host of other issues. At this pace, the Dems are primed to take the worst beating, perhaps, in political history.

We're now at the 9-month mark. He has to do something drastic and quickly, or it's a trip to the woodshed for Team Obama.

Plus, he is retreating on Crap & Tax, the KSM Trial, and on other matters.   

Poor 240 must be deeply saddened. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2010, 06:22:25 AM »

Yeah your right.The media always gave Bush a pass.They are MUCH harder on Obama. ::) ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2010, 06:23:30 AM »
I think 240 just spins to get people worked up. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2010, 06:41:21 AM »
Another populist move.  Also will re-energize his pissed off 10% left base.

Completely meaningless in the bigger scheme for 99.9999% of Americans, but it sure does take the news cycles off 'real' news.

Obama's offensive continues. 

long delayed but still necessary.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 06:43:20 AM »
long delayed but still necessary.

Its just a move to shut up the drama queens on the left after HCR died and a cynical move to divert from the budget disaster he unloaded on us. 

Anyone who believes a damn thing he says is a complete idiot. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 08:49:08 AM »
Its just a move to shut up the drama queens on the left after HCR died and a cynical move to divert from the budget disaster he unloaded on us. 

Anyone who believes a damn thing he says is a complete idiot. 

Again, when Obama Girl falls out of love with you, you KNOW you got problems.

Let's not forget the laundry list of "low-hanging fruit" items that Obama botched, including (BUT NOT LIMITED TO):

- Healthcare debate on C-Span
- No lobbyists in his administration
- No earmarks
- Gitmo closed by January 2010
- "Shovel-ready jobs" (unless you count paying people to shovel the BS he's been dishing).

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 09:09:17 AM »
Colin Powell Favors Repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’
By PETER BAKER

Gen. Colin L. Powell, who as the nation’s top military officer in the 1990s opposed allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military, switched gears today and threw his support behind efforts to end the “don’t ask, don’t tell” law he helped shepherd in.

“In the almost 17 years since the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ legislation was passed, attitudes and circumstances have changed,” General Powell said in a statement issued by his office. He added: “I fully support the new approach presented to the Senate Armed Services Committee this week by Secretary of Defense Gates and Admiral Mullen.”

Robert M. Gates, the defense secretary, and Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told lawmakers on Tuesday that they supported President Obama’s proposal to repeal the 1993 law forbidding gay men and women to be open about their sexuality while serving in uniform.

Admiral Mullen was the first Joint Chiefs chairman ever to take that position, signaling the evolution in attitudes both inside the military and in the broader society since the debate under President Bill Clinton.

When Mr. Clinton tried to end the ban on gay soldiers, General Powell was the Joint Chiefs chairman and opposed the move on the grounds that it would undermine discipline and order in the military but he supported the “don’t ask” compromise. In his statement on Wednesday, General Powell said “the principal issue has always been the effectiveness of the Armed Forces and order and discipline in the ranks.”

He noted that he has said for the past two years that it was “time for the law to be reviewed,” but his new statement of unequivocal support for the effort by Mr. Gates and Admiral Mullen could be an important factor as the debate moves forward this year.

After retiring from the military, General Powell went on to become an active Republican and joined the cabinet of President George W. Bush as secretary of state. But he bolted from the party and endorsed Mr. Obama in 2008.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 09:11:24 AM »
So now Powell has cred with the left?  I thought after the WMD fiasco he was persona non grata with the left?

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2010, 09:45:40 AM »
So now Powell has cred with the left?  I thought after the WMD fiasco he was persona non grata with the left?

we loves dat man
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »
how many of you gay rights activists are for unisex locker rooms and bathrooms?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »
Mullen deserves medal for Senate testimony backing open military service by gays
By Dana Milbank

Mike Mullen's 42 years in the military earned him a chest full of ribbons, but never did he do something braver than what he did on Capitol Hill on Tuesday.

In a packed committee room, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff looked hostile Republican senators in the eye and told them unwelcome news: He thinks gays should be allowed to serve openly in the armed forces he commands.

"Speaking for myself and myself only, it is my personal belief that allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly would be the right thing to do," the nation's top military officer told the members of the Senate Armed Services Committee. "No matter how I look at this issue, I cannot escape being troubled by the fact that we have in place a policy which forces young men and women to lie about who they are in order to defend their fellow citizens. For me personally, it comes down to integrity -- theirs as individuals and ours as an institution."

People in the audience looked at one another. At the press tables, computer keys started clicking. Reporters consulted the time on their digital recorders.

If opponents prevail in their effort to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, which bars gays from serving openly in the military, they will doubtless point to those strong words -- until now heresy for a top military officer -- as a turning point. Supporters of the policy evidently grasped that, too, for they turned against the admiral with caustic words.

On the dais, Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), the Republican Party's 2008 presidential standard-bearer, accused Mullen and the other witness, Defense Secretary Robert Gates, of trying to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" law "by fiat." Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) accused the admiral of obeying "directives" from President Obama. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) accused Mullen of "undue command influence."

As the challenges to his integrity continued, Mullen pursed his lips, then put his forearms on the table, displaying the admiral stripes on his sleeves. After Sessions's provocation, the Joint Chiefs chairman glared at the diminutive Alabamian. "This is not about command influence," Mullen said. "This is about leadership, and I take that very seriously."

It made little sense to accuse Mullen of currying favor with the president. Nominated for a first term by George W. Bush, Mullen was renominated by Obama and began his second two-year term in October. Joint Chiefs chairmen traditionally serve only two terms, so the lame-duck Mullen is freer than ever to speak his mind.

That made the admiral's words all the more striking. Just three years ago, Mullen's predecessor as chairman, Gen. Peter Pace, gave a very different view on gays in the military, saying, "We should not condone immoral acts." Challenging that view, held by many top brass, couldn't have been easy. "Admiral Mullen, I want to salute you for the courage of what you said," offered Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.), a former Navy secretary and a classmate of Mullen's at the U.S. Naval Academy.

McCain, who once said he would support repeal of the law if top military brass did, instead challenged the candor of Mullen and Gates before they spoke. He held up a letter from retired officers who favor the current law and said they "can speak more frankly" than those still serving. McCain then protested when the committee chairman, Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), announced that senators would have three minutes each to ask questions.

"We need more than three minutes," McCain growled. He turned to Sessions and gave a derisive laugh.

"This schedule was shared with everybody here," Levin pointed out.

"Not with me," McCain retorted.

"It was indeed," Levin maintained.

"You're the chairman," McCain said bitterly.

In the end, three minutes proved more than sufficient. McCain and four Republican colleagues left before the hearing ended, and the other six GOP members of the panel didn't show up at all.

After McCain's performance, Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) reminded him, and the rest of the room, about the different view on the topic held by McCain's late political mentor from Arizona. "Barry Goldwater once said, 'You don't have to be straight to shoot straight.' "

The next three Republicans were all Southern white men, and all opposed to Mullen's view. After Sessions and Wicker took their shots at the admiral, it was time for Sen. Saxby Chambliss (Ga.). "In my opinion, the presence in the armed forces of persons who demonstrate a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts would very likely create an unacceptable risk," he said, putting homosexuality in a category with "adultery, fraternization and body art."

Mullen did not bend. He said he knew of no studies indicating that repealing the law would undermine morale. He said he knew of no harm to the British and Canadian militaries from the decision to allow openly gay troops to serve.

"Sort of a fundamental principle with me . . . is everybody counts," he told the senators. "Putting individuals in a position that every single day they wonder whether today's going to be the day" -- that they are kicked out for being gay -- "and devaluing them in that regard is inconsistent with us as an institution."

If they awarded decorations for congressional testimony, Mullen would have himself a Medal of Honor.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
Let Mullen take squat and shower with some gays and he might change his tune. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »

Not that sh*t again.  You have this fantasy of being the object of every males desire or of being able to stare at naked girls without their consent that no one, gay or straight supports. 
Abandon every hope...

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »
Yes, lovely. Too bad Colin Powell sold his soul to Bush and the Republicans years ago and has zero credibility.
Someone should explain to him that you don't just get it back. This is too little, too late.
--SKV

Real brave. Powell. Nice to wait 17 years after supporting this ban.
You probably would have told Rosa Parks to stay in back of the bus for a few more years.
--sweinst254

Well, better late than never I guess. Would be nice if Powell actually had the courage of
his convictions and stood by them at the time. Might have averted the little skirmish in Iraq.
--sipa

Whether his policy of gays in the military is helpful or not, nothing that Colin Powell says should be taken seriously. There are lots of military people with integrity we can get advice from. He lost all credibility selling Bush's War on what we now know were untruths. And his acting "the good soldier" (which he wasn't at the time—he was Secretary of State) probably was a significant factor in the onset of the current recession (how many trillions spent—and for what?). Look back at his enthusiastic and energetic sell for pre-emptive bombing before the UN. This guy should just go away. Retire. He should ask forgiveness for all the death and destruction he was responsible for. How do you live with yourself, Colin Powell?
--No News Good News

Too late, Colin. I'll never forgive you for undermining your Commander In Chief Clinton's Executive Order abolishing discrimination against gays & lesbians in the military. But then under George W. you became a good soldier, vehemently trying to convince the U.N. and the U.S. that Iraq had WMDs. Why didn't you obey President Clinton's orders? The absurd and demeaning DADT law is basically YOUR doing.
--Paul

Is this newly formed support, as Colin Powell says, simply a matter of attitude changes 17 years later? Or is it really an admission that the failed policy was just as narrow-minded prejudice back then as it is now?

Our country's leaders cannot take a role of leadership by waiting 17 years while others to make the first move, like Britain and Canada.

This kind of outspoken support appears more like that made by a tepid follower who emerges only when the coast is clear.
--Maxim

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/powell-favors-repeal-of-dont-ask-dont-tell/?hp

Ouch!   :'(

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2010, 03:28:59 PM »
I am.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »
Not that sh*t again.  You have this fantasy of being the object of every males desire or of being able to stare at naked girls without their consent that no one, gay or straight supports. 
way to miss the point, for some reason you think its wrong for males and females to be in the same locker room but you think its perfectly acceptable to have gay males with other males in the same locker room...

Explain the difference to me, why does one situation end in arrest and the other doesnt everyday without you bitching and moaning about equality?

again you dont want equal rights you want SPECIAL RIGHTS...

and good for you TA if you really are

this question is for bay's ass too as Ive posed it to him multiple times yet he never answers...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2010, 03:53:44 PM »

I am.

Actually many on both sides do...see TA's response and try to answer the question I posed in the post before this one  ;)