Author Topic: Dumbbell vs Kettlebell for size,definition...  (Read 3389 times)

ShortMonster

• Getbig II
Dumbbell vs Kettlebell for size,definition...
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Whats the difference between dumbbells and kettle bells for size and definition. Also how does the handle of the kettle bell compared to a dumbbell differ. .

ex - when I used a chin up bar I can fit my whole hand around im able to feel it in my serratius more, and I notice more definition the next day, compared to a thicker bar.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: Dumbbell vs Kettlebell for size,definition...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
The main ingredient to "definition" is just that... 'ingredients'

Caloric intake vs. Caloric output will "define" definition, not what color or shape your dumbells, barbells, kettlebells, chains, bands or tires are.

The lower your bodyfat levels become, the more % you will attribute to diet and nutrition.

ShortMonster

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »
Let me explain it a bit better, I worded it wrong. When you do a dumbbell lateral rise to the side it targets the side delts, when you lean forward a bit the dumbbell targets the rear delts because of the angle of the body, hands and the dumbbell. Whats the difference between dumbbells and kettle bells that include the angle of the grips, size of the grips and the exercises that you do for the muscle shape, size...

Like I said in the first post when I use a thin chin up bar that I can fully fit my fingers around I feel it in my serratus a lot more then using a thicker one or doing wide grip pull ups. And the next day I notice my serratus muscle is showing a lot more then if I was to do lets say OHP or Pullovers.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »
Sorry man! I totally misunderstood your original post.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
The size of the handle on a kettlebell is thicker.

As far as size and definition.......that depends on diet/bodyfat.

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 03:20:38 AM »
Kettlebells suck, that's the difference.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 01:11:23 PM »
I use to think the same thing until I worked out with someone that knew how to use them.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »
If you learn the right moves and use them properly they can be more effective than DBs.
Squishy face retard

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »
I use KBs as their own workout performing mainly lifts that are hard or awkward to perform with a DB. A typical workout consists of swings, snatches, turkish get ups and C&J. I really don't think they're a great tool for building muscular size, however I've found them to be extremely beneficial to my power production and explosive strength as well as cardiovascular conditioning. I promise anyone who puts in one serious workout with someone who knows the lifts will be convinced. They certainly aren't the be all end all of weight training but they can provide a really great alternative to the conventional tools and lifts.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »
Kettlebells are great for fat loss.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »
Kettlebells are great for fat loss.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »
???

Have you tried it?

I'm not laughing at you mang. It's just that when I think of "fat loss" specifically my mind buries itself in nutrition and caloric intake vs. caloric/energy output.

I can burn significant ammounts of fat in so many different ways I could write books and give them each a different title. I have lowered my bodyfat into the single digits many times with 100 different types of routines. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I could get shredded with kettlebells.... and my nutrition dialed in where it needs to be- regardless.

No offense was intended towards you at all.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 09:09:44 PM »

I'm not laughing at you mang. It's just that when I think of "fat loss" specifically my mind buries itself in nutrition and caloric intake vs. caloric/energy output.

I can burn significant ammounts of fat in so many different ways I could write books and give them each a different title. I have lowered my bodyfat into the single digits many times with 100 different types of routines. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I could get shredded with kettlebells.... and my nutrition dialed in where it needs to be- regardless.

No offense was intended towards you at all.
I wasn't offended, just wanted to know if you had tried kettlebells as a way to get lean.

I'm not into treadmills, etc for cardio, but kettlebells, sleds, tires, logs, carries, etc are an excellent way to get cardio/conditioning in without the "cardio" feeling.

Know what I mean?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 09:52:10 PM »
I wasn't offended, just wanted to know if you had tried kettlebells as a way to get lean.

I'm not into treadmills, etc for cardio, but kettlebells, sleds, tires, logs, carries, etc are an excellent way to get cardio/conditioning in without the "cardio" feeling.

Know what I mean?

Oh hell yeah I know what you mean. Cardio is rarely a part of the equation for me! I hate cardio. Always have, always will. The "cardio feeling" makes me nauseous. I have a recumbent bike (just for looks) but I swim in the summer. I don't get nauseous in the pool b/c butterfly brings back old memories from my days on the USA Swim Team. 

I have a set of KB's at the house, but I really have never used them. And when I do, I know I could use some proper training.  I thought maybe I would use them on the occassional intruder. Silent but deadly.

There are some pretty educational vids and books on YT, but I have yet to really educate myself and refine the technique. Now that I've yapped about it this much, I'll probably work with them a bit this week.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 05:21:41 PM »

I lost a lot of fat just doing swings and get-ups.

They're also great for women!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »
I lost a lot of fat just doing swings and get-ups.

They're also great for women!
How big of a kettlebell do you use for get ups?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!