Author Topic: For trainers who want to 'fast track'  (Read 18369 times)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Vince G this is for you and all other trainer who fall into this catagory!
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2010, 12:35:47 PM »
LOL. It's an idea. Might get him to the weigh-in on time.

It's just whenever I hear that phrase 'master my craft' I think of someone like Stella Adler, or Marc Chagall or E. L. Doctorow -ie. people who have actually mastered a craft. Nowadays, you hear people on reality tv shows averring such a notion, let alone our very own triple V!?

Maybe his craft is baiting. :)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »
Vince, I pointed out you because of another thread I believe you started. It's just not aimed at you but other trainers who fall into this category of using an industry to try to capitalize on without actually being in position to talk about it. I'm saying before you come off as an expert in a particular industry you have to prove yourself FIRST. If people are talking trash about my my training protocols, business knowledge or whatever, fine because I KNOW I CAN BACK IT UP. Am I going to open my financial's on here to anyone who should ask? Hell no. But do I make more than $6k in a year...yes, as a matter of fact thats around what my house payment is per month if that is any indication.

Let me ask you Vince, what do you research more, training methods and protocols or business? Don't get me wrong, business is business, I most certainly get it.

If you have a question about my research, training methods, protocols, or business you could just send a PM to me instead of just creating an thread directly at me.  Of course, with saying that you are not the authority on deciding who is a fitness expert in the industry and who isn't.

Fact is I'm not concerned about being the fitness expert but rather being a successful fitness professional who can pay their bills from doing something I love to do which is training people and helping them achieve their goals which is what I've been doing for 9 years, Marino.  I only care what my clients say and not a bunch of Getbig or internet trolls.  I'm well respected in the community I live in, I do a good job and that's it.

However I will tell you something, out of the 3 active personal trainers in Sylva, NC I'm not the top dog.  The person around here who has the most clients is a guy who doesn't even train in a gym.  He drives around town in a old beige church van and he has a bowflex machine in the rear.  He goes to people's houses wheels in that bowflex and his clients work out on it and he's done that for over 20 years.  Most trainers like you would laugh and ridicule this guy but he bought his house and put his kids through school with that old faded paint tan church van and bowflex machine.  He has no website, no office, and doesn't advertise...just word of mouth and he's still rocking along in that van and bowflex although he finally decided to paint it white.

How do you think he was so successful and had so many customers and clients??  His method of training was simple, his clients got results and he has good business skills.

If you got a question, Coach, ask first before coming to your own conclusions and disrespecting someone's business.  If you were any type of fitness professional you would have contacted me directly
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
  I dont usually defend Vince but he is just trying to make a living. I think Johnny Noname said it, PT is sales. If the customer isnt satisfied they can move hence no money for the PT.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
  I dont usually defend Vince but he is just trying to make a living. I think Johnny Noname said it, PT is sales. If the customer isnt satisfied they can move hence no money for the PT.

I understand that. But with us, it's not if the client is satisfied with us, it's if we are satisfied with them. They are reflection of US and if they can't conform to our criteria we simply send them on their way.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
I understand that. But with us, it's not if the client is satisfied with us, it's if we are satisfied with them. They are reflection of US and if they can't conform to our criteria we simply send them on their way.

Surely you can appreciate the difference between training athletes and fat housewives.  :)

Elite athletes aren't going to take advice from someone with no track record and a weekend certification course or two. Also, they have budgets and professional reasons for training.

Recently JNN made a post about leaving cheerleading and rep counting personal training. He basically blamed black men because they will definitely hit a chubby white chick, LOL! Crass as he was considering the economy and fact that black dude are way more forgiving when it comes to a few extra pounds most of his clientele really couldn't find a reason to afford trainers.

Another aspect of these fatties... they change gyms pretty often depending upon whoever is running a special. Typically they eat like shit, train with little effort, go the cheapest gym possible and use any money saved for more junk food. A little time passes and they think a new trainer, gym or fad diet is going to help them lose weight. It's a fickle demographic.  :)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »

First off, I don't give up on any clients of mine and secondly I would never have the arrogant attitude of only training people I'm satisfied with and that's bad to have folks like you in the industry that have that mentality.

People come to personal trainers for help in dieting and exercise.  Obviously, all of them are going to have trouble being consistent...otherwise they would not be that position.  You have to go the extra mile and convince them that they need to exercise and eat right for their own health and well-being and be compassionate and forgiving when they fall off the bandwagon and put them right back on it.  Real fitness professionals don't give up on their clients or think that their clients has to measure up to their standards. 

Its obvious Coach that you don't spend more time training normal, everyday working class people rather than athletes and bodybuilders all the time.
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2010, 01:57:38 PM »
We make athletes realize their potential.........

60" jumps

Jumps like that produce 4.45 and 4.5 40's in high school athletes 8)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2010, 02:08:41 PM »
We make athletes realize their potential.........

60" jumps

Jumps like that produce 4.45 and 4.5 40's in high school athletes 8)

Please tell me I didn't see a child jumping on a tractor tire.  What kind of reckless sh@# is that??

Imagine if that kid's feet hit the side of the tire....he falls forward face first to the pavement.  Better yet, what if you slipped and feel backwards???  The back of his head goes again into the pavement.

Lawsuit waiting to happen is what it is and no signed waiver will prevent it.  Any judicial system will see that as reckless endangerment.  I'd suggest you take the AFPA's certification course on child fitness.

Unbelievable....is this how you train kids???..... ::)
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2010, 02:13:48 PM »

First off, I don't give up on any clients of mine and secondly I would never have the arrogant attitude of only training people I'm satisfied with and that's bad to have folks like you in the industry that have that mentality.

People come to personal trainers for help in dieting and exercise.  Obviously, all of them are going to have trouble being consistent...otherwise they would not be that position.  You have to go the extra mile and convince them that they need to exercise and eat right for their own health and well-being and be compassionate and forgiving when they fall off the bandwagon and put them right back on it.  Real fitness professionals don't give up on their clients or think that their clients has to measure up to their standards. 

Its obvious Coach that you don't spend more time training normal, everyday working class people rather than athletes and bodybuilders all the time.

I don't train bodybuilders. Yes, we train "normal people" as well but they sign a contract when they start so they no what they are getting into. Training, any kind of training should be hard not easy, I'm not saying kill your client but make them realize what they can do and tell them IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY, if you give the anything less than the truth then you're just flat out lying to them. Lying to the client and making them think it's easy and leading them on, is just stealing their money and making YOU look bad. I'm not a cheerleader, if they don't have the commitment and tenacity I can't help them, but if the are serious and getting into shape and I see that, I'm there for them 1000%. I don't like whining, I hate complaining about every little thing and if thats the case, I will either pass them off to another of my trainers or fire them, they only make ME and MY company look bad. I'm to the point to where I don't need to take everyone who comes through the door.  

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2010, 02:18:41 PM »
Please tell me I didn't see a child jumping on a tractor tire.  What kind of reckless sh@# is that??

Imagine if that kid's feet hit the side of the tire....he falls forward face first to the pavement.  Better yet, what if you slipped and feel backwards???  The back of his head goes again into the pavement.

Lawsuit waiting to happen is what it is and no signed waiver will prevent it.  Any judicial system will see that as reckless endangerment.  I'd suggest you take the AFPA's certification course on child fitness.

Unbelievable....is this how you train kids???..... ::)

Yes, imagine....it would hurt like hell! They are not children you idiot, they're 16 and 17 year old high school football players. 2 of those "children" have offers from damn near every D1 college in the country!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2010, 02:21:49 PM »
Look Vince, some more child abuse...this kid is 17 and has a offers for full rides to Duke, LMU and Chapman for Lacrosse

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2010, 02:22:50 PM »
Yes, imagine....it would hurt like hell! They are not children you idiot, they're 16 and 17 year old high school football players. 2 of those "children" have offers from damn near every D1 college in the country!!

That's correct and they are under the age of 18 which means you would be held liable by their parents  because you're using non-standard equipment.  Why aren't you using standard jump boxes.  

Also you have an 11 year old kid pushing an SUV.  Care to explain that???
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2010, 02:24:54 PM »

That's correct and they are under the age of 18 which means you would be held liable by their parents  because you're using non-standard equipment.  Why aren't you using standard jump boxes.  

Also you have an 11 year old kid pushing an SUV.  Care to explain that???

Yeah, it's my kid. Would you REALLY like to have a debate with me about training kids?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
I don't train bodybuilders. Yes, we train "normal people" as well but they sign a contract when they start so they no what they are getting into. Training, any kind of training should be hard not easy, I'm not saying kill your client but make them realize what they can do and tell them IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY, if you give the anything less than the truth then you're just flat out lying to them. Lying to the client and making them think it's easy and leading them on, is just stealing their money and making YOU look bad. I'm not a cheerleader, if they don't have the commitment and tenacity I can't help them, but if the are serious and getting into shape and I see that, I'm there for them 1000%. I don't like whining, I hate complaining about every little thing and if thats the case, I will either pass them off to another of my trainers or fire them, they only make ME and MY company look bad. I'm to the point to where I don't need to take everyone who comes through the door.  

I have the opposite approach which is respect for the individual and going the extra mile to help those who struggle.  Your job isn't to make your company look good, you're suppose to make your client look good and kicking them out the door actually makes you look bad because you gave up on them.  

Some are going to give up because that's the odds of the game.  Simply wish them well if they do but don't give them a foot in the ass.  You may have a lot of clients now but you never know what the future holds
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »
Look Vince, some more child abuse...this kid is 17 and has a offers for full rides to Duke, LMU and Chapman for Lacrosse

Why would I take issue with that.  That's a person working on standardized fitness equipment.
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »
Yeah, it's my kid. Would you REALLY like to have a debate with me about training kids?

If that's your kid, fine.  Don't make someone elses kid push your truck around
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »

I have the opposite approach which is respect for the individual and going the extra mile to help those who struggle.  Your job isn't to make your company look good, you're suppose to make your client look good and kicking them out the door actually makes you look bad because you gave up on them.  

Some are going to give up because that's the odds of the game.  Simply wish them well if they do but don't give them a foot in the ass.  You may have a lot of clients now but you never know what the future holds

Sorry Vince but we're going to have to agree to disagree. Your clients are walking billboards for your business and that's how word of mouth advertising works in this business. This is a RESULTS related business and if you can't produce results and if the clients are stopping you from producing results by not doing what you ask OUTSIDE the gym as well as inside then whats the point? It's bad business to keep letting the client think he or she is doing a great job when no results are produced. It's a waste of my time and makes me look bad on the outside.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2010, 02:36:30 PM »
If that's your kid, fine.  Don't make someone elses kid push your truck around

I make all of kids push my truck. Using resistance jump bands is not standardized equipment.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2010, 02:44:02 PM »
Sorry Vince but we're going to have to agree to disagree. Your clients are walking billboards for your business and that's how word of mouth advertising works in this business. This is a RESULTS related business and if you can't produce results and if the clients are stopping you from producing results by not doing what you ask OUTSIDE the gym as well as inside then whats the point? It's bad business to keep letting the client think he or she is doing a great job when no results are produced. It's a waste of my time and makes me look bad on the outside.

No true commitment to results hurts clients and trainers.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »

Who says to tell them they are doing a great job when they are not???   When that's occurs, I give positive reinforcement to them to do better.  However I don't believe in being critical of my clientele or throwing them out the door.  Some are going to struggle and some will give up and if they do, then that's really on that person, its not a reflection of my training because I did my job.  

Of course, my general routines may not use barbells and dumbells but they will know from the start that they are getting a workout and their money's worth that's for sure.  This summer I'll be using my new little tools, the Lebert Buddy Straps and Adjustable Kettlebells.   Believe me Joe, I know how to get people results and I do it my way.  

A

odilly

• Getbig III
  • yo
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »
no offense to vince or johnny or any other personal trainer, But i think the diference is JME is old school compared to you guys, i get the feeling that he would be  driving a busted old chevette living in the back of his gym doing this for little to no money where i see a lot of other trainers who wouldnt be doing it if they didnt think they where going to be getting rich from it.
   But really its apples and oranges JME trains athelets which i dont really think clasifys as "personal trainer" and more as a strength coach. where as if yoru training houswives and bankers you are a personal trainer.
Odilly

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2010, 05:43:29 PM »
Just to add Vince, I would NEVER have any of athletes attemt anything I didn't they capable of doing.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2010, 07:48:59 PM »
WTF is a collegiate diploma??
Valhalla awaits.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2010, 08:09:05 PM »
WTF is a collegiate diploma??

HAHAHAHA  :D :o
D