Author Topic: Is There Anything God Can't Do?  (Read 40128 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Is There Anything God Can't Do?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 10:54:12 PM »
...yeah, sorry. But none of that constitutes a refutation of the "Rex Mundi" heresy.

Let's not foget here that Satan does not have a soul (angels don't have souls) and that Satan did not eat of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge in the Garden of Eden, hence he does not know the difference between good and evil... and something without a soul that cannot tell right from wrong is not bound by God's Laws (man wasn't before the fall).

So by your silly logic... Satan doesn't qualify as evil.

Also, angels as a rule are not bound by God's law, nor are they bound by the ten commandments... so whichever way you cut it... God created an immortal creature that doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, isn't bound by God's law, isn't bound by the commandments and has the power to lay waste whole cities.

That's pretty fucked up... that's like me giving a chimp a nuclear weapon... pretty evil.

Even aside from all that... look at all the evil shit God does in the Bible... surely that's just Satan masquerading as God?

Maybe I've hit on something here... maybe the one thing God can't do is interfere... only Satan can do that: appearing as an angel to ignorant Beduoins; blowing up cities; spreading plagues; ordering the deaths of children and babies... you know, all the shit SOMETHING claiming to be God did in the Bible.

By their deeds ye shall know them.

Yep, I'm convinced... logically, Yahweh and Satan MUST be one in the same.

The Luke

I'll do there act luke, don't waste your time luke, these fools know nothing. Its says god healed an amputee in the bible so it must be true. We can back each other up, to make it seem like we are actually making strong arguments and no one will be the wiser.

if evil comes from man disobeying god, did man create evil then? making god not the creator of all?

Who created evil according to the bible, who is the source of evil?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 07:08:07 AM »
God cannot stop Satan from doing evil deeds... therefore Satan is more powerful God.

The Luke, I'm sorry but your course of "logic" almost always perplexes me. 

You state something to which you have no proof as a fact and then state an extension of that statement as fact following YOUR course of "logic."

As MCWAY has said, it's in the bible that God has and will stop Satan from doing evil deeds.

But since you don't accept the bible as true, can you see that just in general you cannot prove (or state as fact) that God cannot stop Satan from doing evil deeds?  Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it true.  So for you to state it as fact holds no water...I'm not flaming you but do you see what I mean?

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 07:13:04 AM »
The horror is going on, because man continues to disobey God's law. Had he not done so, NONE OF THIS would be occuring.

Therefore, the Lord can and will deal with it when HE SEES FIT. He is NOT on your timetable, or mine for that matter.

Very good post.

Your fertilizer bomb analogy was excellent too.

GRACIE, I also sometimes struggle w/why doesn't God intervene in some situations when I believe He could, but I realize I don't know everything..but I believe He does.  I believe that we have free will and that we suffer the consequences for ours and others' as well.  But also, there is no way of knowing how many times God may be intervening in situations if He so chooses.  Maybe things would be a lot worse. 
R

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 07:57:38 AM »
logic doesn't work luke, perhaps god stopped himself from knowing satan would be evil, then he wouldn't be all knowing though. I'm sure there is a good reason for creating evil though, maybe its because he loves us.

Neither one of you is using any logic. So, I hardly see why you're complaining. At best, you're simply re-hashing emotionally charged yet factually bereft arguments that can be taken apart with ease.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 08:04:40 AM »
what is he waiting for? he is allowing all this suffering for what? If he is eternal, then time does not matter making this wait completely pointless, actually making this life completely pointless. Eternity negates purpose.

Waiting for man to actually learn his lesson, perhaps?

Then again, when He pronounces judgment on those who do evil, you turn right around and BLUBBER about how "mean" He is.

Make up your mind. Either you want Him to do nothing, leaving man to his own devices (in which he will destroy himself) or you want Him to intervene.

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 08:09:27 AM »
The Luke, I'm sorry but your course of "logic" almost always perplexes me. 

You state something to which you have no proof as a fact and then state an extension of that statement as fact following YOUR course of "logic."

As MCWAY has said, it's in the bible that God has and will stop Satan from doing evil deeds.

But since you don't accept the bible as true, can you see that just in general you cannot prove (or state as fact) that God cannot stop Satan from doing evil deeds?  Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it true.  So for you to state it as fact holds no water...I'm not flaming you but do you see what I mean?

He/she knows what they are doing, Stella. It's a design to derail the point of discussion. Don't let it perplex you. Luke,The is logical, he/she is choosing to use physiological tactics, in hopes, of perpetrating confusion to the average reader. Or, it's a gimmick, designed to make SOMEONE else look good. Catch my drift?

Government_Controlled/Dea_Agent

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »
I'll do there act luke, don't waste your time luke, these fools know nothing.

What can YOU do for mankind?

Government_Control/Dea_Agent

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 09:28:57 AM »
Neither one of you is using any logic. So, I hardly see why you're complaining. At best, you're simply re-hashing emotionally charged yet factually bereft arguments that can be taken apart with ease.

what about it has never been rebutted doesn't convince you. The argument of evil is something no theologian has ever countered, so i'm not sure what the sticking point is.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 09:30:41 AM »
Waiting for man to actually learn his lesson, perhaps?

Then again, when He pronounces judgment on those who do evil, you turn right around and BLUBBER about how "mean" He is.

Make up your mind. Either you want Him to do nothing, leaving man to his own devices (in which he will destroy himself) or you want Him to intervene.

I dont see why evil is necessary, he could have created a world without it yet still have people learn lessons, the possibilities are infinite with god. So thats why i'm having a hard time wondering why god is allowing evil, allowing pain and suffering. It's either he doesnt care, or cannot stop it.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 09:32:04 AM »

What can YOU do for mankind?

Government_Control/Dea_Agent

I don't know what you are talking about here. I can do more then your god though.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 09:36:19 AM »
how come no one ever answers my questions? who according to the bible created everything? who according to the bible created evil?

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 01:28:46 PM »
how come no one ever answers my questions?

Well, for me, your like at gnat on a elephant's back. Sorta like running on a treadmill, you expend allot of energy, but don't get anywhere.

I can't answer, for, poor ole McWay and the others. I would imagine tho, they have similar feelings.

Government_Controlled/Dea_AGENT

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »

Well, for me, your like at gnat on a elephant's back. Sorta like running on a treadmill, you expend allot of energy, but don't get anywhere.

I can't answer, for, poor ole McWay and the others. I would imagine tho, they have similar feelings.

Government_Controlled/Dea_AGENT

i suppose it's like the time you made the irrefutable proof against evolution thread that got raped in a nanosecond, only to never respond. Kinda like that? ::) is it talking about things you have no idea about? like logic, philosophy and science?

again you avoided a simple question, seems you guys are good at that. Who created everything? if it was god, then he created evil, and is not all-good. Nor would he be perfect since perfection wouldn't have negative attributes.

Who created everything?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »
I dont see why evil is necessary, he could have created a world without it yet still have people learn lessons, the possibilities are infinite with god. So thats why i'm having a hard time wondering why god is allowing evil, allowing pain and suffering. It's either he doesnt care, or cannot stop it.

He DID create a world without evil. Again, I refer to my chemical fertilizer example. If I intend it to nourish grass and someone else uses it to create a bomb, I'm not the one charged with the evil deed.

Pain and suffering comes from disobedience to the Lord, "The wages of sin is DEATH!". As for stopping evil, again simply read the book of Revelation.

It reminds me of a saying I once heard from a minister, when he explained why he doesn't overstress about the troubles in life.

"Why? I read the end of the book (the Bible)....I WIN!!"

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »
again you avoided a simple question, seems you guys are good at that. Who created everything? if it was god, then he created evil, and is not all-good. Nor would he be perfect since perfection wouldn't have negative attributes.

This seems to be the crux of the problem... God created evil.

So, to answer the question... Yes, there is something God cannot do: he cannot refrain from his own wickedness.

Just look at his behaviour in Genesis:

-he creates a purely evil being (Satan), then punishes him for a minor transgression (telling Eve the truth about the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil)

-he doesn't forgive Satan for his truthfulness, despite the fact that Satan hasn't eaten of the tree and doesn't know the  difference between good and evil

-he won't forgive either Adam or Eve, despite the fact that they didn't know the difference between good and evil when they ate the fruit

Then he spends the rest of the Old Testament ordering the murders of children; the subjugation of women; the brutalisation of children and criminals; the taking of slaves; genocide; rape and human sacrifice.

What an asshole.

The Luke

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2010, 03:19:42 AM »
Quote from: MCWAY on February 24, 2010, 09:21:20 PM

Who said God CAN'T stop Satan?

On the contrary, He can and WILL, as depicted in the Book of Revelation. Last time I checked, ol' Lucifer gets heaved in the Lake of Fire. That qualifies as being stopped to me.

Good post! McWay, do you have the scripture where satan's name appears. I seem to can't find it, o WISE one. Thanks, in advance.

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 03:24:39 AM »

So, to answer the question... Yes, there is something God cannot do: he cannot refrain from his own wickedness.

-he creates a purely evil being (Satan), then punishes him for a minor transgression (telling Eve the truth about the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil)

-he doesn't forgive Satan for his truthfulness, despite the fact that Satan hasn't eaten of the tree and doesn't know the  difference between good and evil

-he won't forgive either Adam or Eve, despite the fact that they didn't know the difference between good and evil when they ate the fruit

Then he spends the rest of the Old Testament ordering the murders of children; the subjugation of women; the brutalisation of children and criminals; the taking of slaves; genocide; rape and human sacrifice

The Luke

WARNING! INACCURATE INFOMATION! PEASE TRY AGAIN! GOD WILL FORGIVE YOU! GOD BLESS!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 07:34:16 AM »

Who created everything?
I did, bitch.

Any more questions?  >:(
follow the arrows

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »

The crux of the problem is your inability to read.

Umm......WRONG!! Satan told Eve that, if she ate of the fruit, she would not die. She did. NEXT!!!!

One, Satan wasn't truthful at all (see the above); two, when does Satan ever ASK for forgiveness again?

Dead wrong again. He gave them specific instructions; they disobeyed them. Still, the plan of redemption was put in place in Gen. 3.

You can't be.....well...actually.. ...you CAN be this DUMB, when it comes to reading simple Bible texts.

Then he spends the rest of the Old Testament ordering the murders of children; the subjugation of women; the brutalisation of children and criminals; the taking of slaves; genocide; rape and human sacrifice.

Again, see above!!

What an asshole.

The Luke

You're projecting, again.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »
Well, McWay, seems you missed my point completely... the flaw in the Genesis story is that the characters are punished for the transgressions they made BEFORE they know the difference between good and evil (eat from the tree). If there is a villain in the Genesis story; it's the fool who put the tree in the garden.

So, let's try something a little simpler; more direct; and less intricate:

Is there anything God cannot do?

Yes, he cannot speak out against the evil of slavery.

The Luke

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2010, 01:13:28 PM »
God cannot let SIN go unpunished! What we believers must hold fast to is that fools mock God (by calling him a fool) because they have not the Holy Spirit, God has not given to them the ability to believe. All that we say will fall on deaf ears if they have not the Holy Spirit. Remember what Jesus said to the disciples:

Matt 16:13-17

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

14 They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

15 "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

17 Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, (insert Stella, McWay, GCA and others that believe) for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.

My point you can keep on trying to convince these unbelievers which is an honorable thing to do but until God quickens them they will never believe and will always mock God! Continue to plant the seed, another will water but God gives the increase!

Question answered, end of thread!

HM
W

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »
I did, bitch.

Any more questions?  >:(

POST REPORTED TO RON AVIDAN!

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »
God cannot let SIN go unpunished! Question answered, end of thread!

HM

Ah, close, my friend. God could choose to do that, it would be wrong, but technically, He CAN do it. This is something He ABSOLUTELY, CANNOT DO.

Government_Congrolled/Dea_Agent

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
GC, can He create a rock that He himself cannot lift?  ;)

keep in mind that he is all powerful  :P
follow the arrows

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2010, 01:41:05 PM »
I reiterate: God cannot forbid slavery. (Even though most decent people do)

Exhibit one, the Bible.

The Luke