Author Topic: Is There Anything God Can't Do?  (Read 40322 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Is There Anything God Can't Do?
« Reply #275 on: April 02, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »
Luke,

I've read all of the New Testament many times, in several different versions, both in English and in Spanish.  I have also just read all of the scriptures that you posted and nowhere does it say that sodomites and lesbians be put to death.  So you made it up.  It is nowhere in the New Testament.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2010, 03:49:15 PM »
I've read all of the New Testament many times, in several different versions, both in English and in Spanish.  I have also just read all of the scriptures that you posted and nowhere does it say that sodomites and lesbians be put to death.  So you made it up.  It is nowhere in the New Testament.

...did you read it in the original Greek and Hebrew?

If not, then it's just a matter of which translation you prefer for that Romans 2 passage. I assume it's an imperative clause based on the "they deserve death" bit, it kinda colours my thinking.

Once we are all agreed that the Old Testament DOES demand death for homosexuals; insolent children; cussing your parents; worshipping other gods; witchcraft etc etc... once we all agree upon that.. and that the New Testament deems homosexuals at least deserving of death.

I could be wrong but I don't think I've read here that anyone said "Jesus changed everything" in the way you seem to mean.

He is the New Covenant...that doesn't mean that the plan changed.  Mosaic Law (Old Cov) was between Israel and God.

Seems you believe Jesus overrode Mosaic Law too?

But he didn't... Jesus commanded all his followers (Jews and Gentiles alike) to follow the old Mosaic Law.

That's basically Shariah Law: slavery, honour killings, Draconian punishments, all the psychopathic rantings of that abominable shithead called Yahweh... any of you Americans following that? (Voting for Palin doesn't count).

The slavery thing has been done to death here but in a different way think of these things:

Do you think that the only words He ever spoke are written in the bible?

Luke, I've never seen you speak out against girls with long nostril hair.  Does this mean you accept/approve of it  ???   ;D

...girls having long nostril hair doesn't hurt anyone; it isn't morally reprehensible; it isn't an irreconcilable injustice; it isn't an affront to basic human decency.  So that's an empty argument that only shows your poor ability to draw parallels, Stella (no offence intended).

A better contrast would be the comparison between a godless atheist (like me) who openly speaks out against the intrinsic evils of slavery despite living in a time basically free of chattel slavery... and Jesus living in a world run on chattel slavery yet never speaking out against it.

I'd even go further and say wage slavery is also wrong... does that make me a more moral person than Jesus... I suppose technically it does.

Let's take an example from Jesus' own life...

Jesus healed the daughter of a Roman centurion, then stayed for dinner. That dinner would have been served to Jesus by slaves (probably a few house slaves for a Roman centurion). So sitting there eating dinner, the centurion asks Jesus what he can do to repay him... Jesus doesn't ask anything of him... I understand that, maybe he didn't want to prostitute his super healing powers. But at the very least he could have given a little sermon about the evils of chattel slavery seeing as there would have been several chattel slaves waiting on him at the time.

Bet those slaves thought Jesus was a complete asshole.

But this brings us back to the topic of this thread... what can't god do? He can't act morally.

At best he can only meet the moral standards of the time.... the standards of those who imagine him.

Let me explain...

I might be an atheist, but I understand a little bit about moral evolution and Darwinian altruism... so I can give a few examples of things that aren't considered immoral NOW... but undoubtedly will be in the future:

-the abuse of an asymmetric power relationship: a Biblical example would be God asking Mary to carry Jesus... did an uneducated 13 year-old girl feel she could actually say no to God; or a glowing Angel carrying a burning sword? Isn't it immoral to impregnate a 13 year-old even if you're the creator of the universe. This is considered immoral now, but still considered okay and moral if Yahweh does it for some reason (despite the damage such an early pregnancy does).

-manipulation by threat of violence: a Biblical example would be the entire concept of judgement and infinite punishment (hell). Nowadays you often hear the threat of violence used in relation to self-defence... that won't always be considered a valid justification for violence.

-ownership of private property: slavery is the most extreme Biblical example of this. Our modern economic system is based on the concept of private property rights (or should I say corporate rights to private property), but as the Earth gets more crowded and better developed such selfishness will no longer be tolerated when people understand the benefits of universally communal property and resources.

-debt... Biblically the most ridiculous debts are those of sin; innocent children killed to punish their evil-doing parents etc. Nowadays capitalism itself is based on ever escalating levels of debt, but in the future debt itself will be considered immoral; as just another form of wage slavery.

Why can't god give us future-proof morals?

Why can't god give us some sort of theory that allows us to understand the processes that produce morality itself...? Like Evolution did.

When Moses read the ten commandments from Jebul Madbh, wouldn't the smart people in the audience have tuned out when it went three commandments without any mention of rape; torture or slavery...?

Couldn't god set aside his ego long enough (the first three commandments are all about stroking his ego), to ban the big stuff:
1-Thou shalt not torture.
2-Thou shalt not rape.
3-Thou shalt not enslave.

If I'm so patently more moral than your God, why aren't you guys worshipping me?

The Luke

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #277 on: April 03, 2010, 08:41:47 AM »

The Luke

All of the Bible verses which you quoted from the New Testament were originally written in Greek, not Hebrew.

ΠΡΟΣ ΡΩΜΑΙΟΥΣ - 1
1 Παῦλος, δοῦλος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, κλητὸς ἀπόστολος, ἀφωρισμένος εἰς εὐαγγέλιον Θεοῦ. 2 ὃ προεπηγγείλατο διὰ τῶν προφητῶν αὐτοῦ ἐν γραφαῖς ἁγίαις 3 περὶ τοῦ υἱοῦ αὐτοῦ, τοῦ γενομένου ἐκ σπέρματος Δαυῒδ κατὰ σάρκα, 4 τοῦ ὁρισθέντος υἱοῦ Θεοῦ ἐν δυνάμει κατὰ πνεῦμα ἁγιωσύνης ἐξ ἀναστάσεως νεκρῶν, Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῦ Κυρίου ἡμῶν, 5 δι' οὗ ἐλάβομεν χάριν καὶ ἀποστολὴν εἰς ὑπακοὴν πίστεως ἐν πᾶσι τοῖς ἔθνεσιν ὑπὲρ τοῦ ὀνόματος αὐτοῦ, 6 ἐν οἷς ἐστε καὶ ὑμεῖς κλητοὶ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, 7 πᾶσι τοῖς οὖσιν ἐν Ρώμῃ ἀγαπητοῖς Θεοῦ, κλητοῖς ἁγίοις· χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη ἀπὸ Θεοῦ πατρὸς ἡμῶν καὶ Κυρίου Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ. 8 Πρῶτον μὲν εὐχαριστῶ τῷ Θεῷ μου διὰ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ ὑπὲρ πάντων ὑμῶν, ὅτι ἡ πίστις ὑμῶν καταγγέλλεται ἐν ὅλῳ τῷ κόσμῳ. 9 μάρτυς γάρ μού ἐστιν ὁ Θεός, ᾧ λατρεύω ἐν τῷ πνεύματί μου ἐν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ τοῦ υἱοῦ αὐτοῦ, ὡς ἀδιαλείπτως μνείαν ὑμῶν ποιοῦμαι, 10 πάντοτε ἐπὶ τῶν προσευχῶν μου δεόμενος εἴ πως ἤδη ποτὲ εὐοδωθήσομαι ἐν τῷ θελήματι τοῦ Θεοῦ ἐλθεῖν πρὸς ὑμᾶς. 11 ἐπιποθῶ γὰρ ἰδεῖν ὑμᾶς, ἵνα τι μεταδῶ χάρισμα ὑμῖν πνευματικὸν εἰς τὸ στηριχθῆναι ὑμᾶς, 12 τοῦτο δέ ἐστι συμπαρακληθῆναι ἐν ὑμῖν διὰ τῆς ἐν ἀλλήλοις πίστεως ὑμῶν τε καὶ ἐμοῦ. 13 οὐ θέλω δὲ ὑμᾶς ἀγνοεῖν, ἀδελφοί, ὅτι πολλάκις προεθέμην ἐλθεῖν πρὸς ὑμᾶς, καὶ ἐκωλύθην ἄχρι τοῦ δεῦρο, ἵνα τινὰ καρπὸν σχῶ καὶ ἐν ὑμῖν καθὼς καὶ ἐν τοῖς λοιποῖς ἔθνεσιν. 14 Ἕλλησί τε καὶ βαρβάροις, σοφοῖς τε καὶ ἀνοήτοις ὀφειλέτης εἰμί· 15 οὕτω τὸ κατ' ἐμὲ πρόθυμον καὶ ὑμῖν τοῖς ἐν Ρώμῃ εὐαγγελίσασθαι. 16 οὐ γὰρ ἐπαισχύνομαι τὸ εὐαγγέλιον τοῦ Χριστοῦ· δύναμις γὰρ Θεοῦ ἐστιν εἰς σωτηρίαν παντὶ τῷ πιστεύοντι, Ἰουδαίῳ τε πρῶτον καὶ Ἕλληνι. 17 δικαιοσύνη γὰρ Θεοῦ ἐν αὐτῷ ἀποκαλύπτεται ἐκ πίστεως εἰς πίστιν, καθὼς γέγραπται· ὁ δὲ δίκαιος ἐκ πίστεως ζήσεται. 18 Ἀποκαλύπτεται γὰρ ὀργὴ Θεοῦ ἀπ' οὐρανοῦ ἐπὶ πᾶσαν ἀσέβειαν καὶ ἀδικίαν ἀνθρώπων τῶν τὴν ἀλήθειαν ἐν ἀδικίᾳ κατεχόντων, 19 διότι τὸ γνωστὸν τοῦ Θεοῦ φανερόν ἐστιν ἐν αὐτοῖς· ὁ γὰρ Θεὸς αὐτοῖς ἐφανέρωσε. 20 τὰ γὰρ ἀόρατα αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ κτίσεως κόσμου τοῖς ποιήμασι νοούμενα καθορᾶται, ἥ τε ἀΐδιος αὐτοῦ δύναμις καὶ θειότης, εἰς τὸ εἶναι αὐτοὺς ἀναπολογήτους, 21 διότι γνόντες τὸν Θεὸν οὐχ ὡς Θεὸν ἐδόξασαν ἢ εὐχαρίστησαν, ἀλλ' ἐματαιώθησαν ἐν τοῖς διαλογισμοῖς αὐτῶν, καὶ ἐσκοτίσθη ἡ ἀσύνετος αὐτῶν καρδία· 22 φάσκοντες εἶναι σοφοὶ ἐμωράνθησαν, 23 καὶ ἤλλαξαν τὴν δόξαν τοῦ ἀφθάρτου Θεοῦ ἐν ὁμοιώματι εἰκόνος φθαρτοῦ ἀνθρώπου καὶ πετεινῶν καὶ τετραπόδων καὶ ἑρπετῶν. 24 Διὸ καὶ παρέδωκεν αὐτοὺς ὁ Θεὸς ἐν ταῖς ἐπιθυμίαις τῶν καρδιῶν αὐτῶν εἰς ἀκαθαρσίαν τοῦ ἀτιμάζεσθαι τὰ σώματα αὐτῶν ἐν αὑτοῖς, 25 οἵτινες μετήλλαξαν τὴν ἀλήθειαν τοῦ Θεοῦ ἐν τῷ ψεύδει, καὶ ἐσεβάσθησαν καὶ ἐλάτρευσαν τῇ κτίσει παρὰ τὸν κτίσαντα, ὅς ἐστιν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας· ἀμήν. 26 Διὰ τοῦτο παρέδωκεν αὐτοὺς ὁ Θεὸς εἰς πάθη ἀτιμίας. αἵ τε γὰρ θήλειαι αὐτῶν μετήλλαξαν τὴν φυσικὴν χρῆσιν εἰς τὴν παρὰ φύσιν, 27 ὁμοίως δὲ καὶ οἱ ἄρσενες ἀφέντες τὴν φυσικὴν χρῆσιν τῆς θηλείας ἐξεκαύθησαν ἐν τῇ ὀρέξει αὐτῶν εἰς ἀλλήλους, ἄρσενες ἐν ἄρσεσι τὴν ἀσχημοσύνην κατεργαζόμενοι καὶ τὴν ἀντιμισθίαν ἣν ἔδει τῆς πλάνης αὐτῶν ἐν ἑαυτοῖς ἀπολαμβάνοντες. 28 Καὶ καθὼς οὐκ ἐδοκίμασαν τὸν Θεὸν ἔχειν ἐν ἐπιγνώσει, παρέδωκεν αὐτοὺς ὁ Θεὸς εἰς ἀδόκιμον νοῦν, ποιεῖν τὰ μὴ καθήκοντα, 29 πεπληρωμένους πάσῃ ἀδικίᾳ πορνείᾳ πονηρίᾳ πλεονεξίᾳ κακίᾳ, μεστοὺς φθόνου φόνου ἔριδος δόλου κακοηθείας, 30 ψιθυριστάς, καταλάλους, θεοστυγεῖς, ὑβριστάς, ὑπερηφάνους, ἀλαζόνας, ἐφευρετὰς κακῶν, γονεῦσιν ἀπειθεῖς, 31 ἀσυνέτους, ἀσυνθέτους, ἀστόργους, ἀσπόνδους, ἀνελεήμονας· 32 οἵτινες τὸ δικαίωμα τοῦ Θεοῦ ἐπιγνόντες, ὅτι οἱ τὰ τοιαῦτα πράσσοντες ἄξιοι θανάτου εἰσίν, οὐ μόνον αὐτὰ ποιοῦσιν, ἀλλὰ καὶ συνευδοκοῦσι τοῖς πράσσουσι.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #278 on: April 03, 2010, 09:03:17 AM »
All of the Bible verses which you quoted from the New Testament were originally written in Greek, not Hebrew.

...I know that.

But some of the New Testament was written in Hebrew (originally)... I was referring to your claim that you had read the entire New Testament several times. That should have been obvious.

Is that what debate on this board has reduced to...? Nitpicking.

No mention of any of the points I raised... just deliberate misinterpretation of whatever tiny trivial word or phrase that could be dishonestly misconstrued as an error on my part.

The Luke

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #279 on: April 03, 2010, 09:18:20 AM »
...I know that.

But some of the New Testament was written in Hebrew (originally)... I was referring to your claim that you had read the entire New Testament several times. That should have been obvious.

Is that what debate on this board has reduced to...? Nitpicking.

No mention of any of the points I raised... just deliberate misinterpretation of whatever tiny trivial word or phrase that could be dishonestly misconstrued as an error on my part.

The Luke

No, you were referring to Romans.

If not, then it's just a matter of which translation you prefer for that Romans 2 passage. I assume it's an imperative clause based on the "they deserve death" bit, it kinda colours my thinking.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #280 on: April 03, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
No, you were referring to Romans.

loco you are cherry picking the shit out of his argument, you acknowledge that at least?

I read it and see that it claims what luke says it does. At least thats what i gather.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #281 on: April 03, 2010, 09:33:47 AM »
loco you are cherry picking the shit out of his argument, you acknowledge that at least?

I read it and see that it claims what luke says it does. At least thats what i gather.

Nowhere does the New Testament say that sodomites and lesbians be put to death.

Romans was not written in Hebrew.

Neither you, Necrosis, nor Luke have read the Bible.  He makes up way too much stuff about the Bible that is false.  And you believe it because you don't know better.  

The more Luke posts, the more obvious it becomes that he knows nothing about the Bible.

I guess that's why they say "you have to know the Bible to talk about the Bible."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: April 03, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »

Romans was not written in Hebrew.

Neither you, Necrosis, nor Luke have read the Bible.  He makes up way too much stuff about the Bible that is false.  And you believe it because you don't know better.  

The more Luke posts, the more obvious it becomes that he knows nothing about the Bible.

I guess that's why they say "you have to know the Bible to talk about the Bible."

the verses he quoted do not exist? i would have to read the bible more then once to be able to remember particular quotes etc, it is quite big. I have read some of the bible, a good portion in fact when i was interested in holy texts, i read many different books but i admit that i really have no knowledge when it comes to the bible like you and mcway, stella etc.

i was just reading the quote he posted where it states what looks to be his assertion, i was also pointing out that you are cherry picking. I have no problem admiting when i am wrong, in fact i have numerous times, i have also backed the religious folk of this board when i thought there argument was valid.

I will let you and luke continue the debate, i wont sidetrack it much more ;D

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #283 on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:07 AM »

But you'll concede that even your new touchy-feely translation claims they "deserve death"?

The Luke

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #284 on: April 03, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »
the verses he quoted do not exist? i would have to read the bible more then once to be able to remember particular quotes etc, it is quite big. I have read some of the bible, a good portion in fact when i was interested in holy texts, i read many different books but i admit that i really have no knowledge when it comes to the bible like you and mcway, stella etc.

i was just reading the quote he posted where it states what looks to be his assertion, i was also pointing out that you are cherry picking. I have no problem admiting when i am wrong, in fact i have numerous times, i have also backed the religious folk of this board when i thought there argument was valid.

I will let you and luke continue the debate, i wont sidetrack it much more ;D

Very well, then you can tell me from Luke's Bible quotes where the New Testament says that sodomites and lesbians be put to death.  It does not say that so I don't know what you are talking about.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #285 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
But you'll concede that even your new touchy-feely translation claims they "deserve death"?

The Luke

Absolutely no New Testament translation exists which tells anyone to put to death sodomites and lesbians, as you claimed.

the New Testament goes even further and insists both sodomites and lesbians be put to death.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #286 on: April 03, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »
Absolutely no New Testament translation exists which tells anyone to put to death sodomites and lesbians, as you claimed.

Well, that's not really true now is it...

Revelations (New Testament) says quite clearly that on Judgement Day, evildoers (including homos and dykes) still alive to see the Second Coming of Jesus but deemed unworthy of Rapture will be sent to hell while still alive.

Isn't that a prophecy/promise that Jeebus himself will return and kill (directly send to hell) the entire living population of homosexers?

The Luke

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »
closed minded as hell, no evidence god does exists none what so ever, thats why its called faith.

Answer the question, yes or no?

if god did not exist, would you rape and torture babies, kill people and you see this as ok?

I've already answered this loaded question of yours, TWICE.

So, read it again, until it sinks into your skull.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #288 on: April 04, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »
Now who do you think opposes universal health care in the US and who do you think supports it?

What does universal healthcare have to do with charity?

If anything, it is the VERY OPPOSITE OF SUCH?

Forcing someone to pay for someone's else medical expenses (via excessive taxation) ain't charity. Plus, as we've seen time and time again, the very people that are supposed to be helped, end up being shafted, due to red tape.

If you and Luke are so fired up about footing someone else's bills, why don't you find a random family with no coverage AND PAY THEIR WAY OUT OF YOUR OWN RESPECTIVE POCKETS.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #289 on: April 04, 2010, 08:53:23 AM »

Once we are all agreed that the Old Testament DOES demand death for homosexuals; insolent children; cussing your parents; worshipping other gods; witchcraft etc etc... once we all agree upon that.. and that the New Testament deems homosexuals at least deserving of death.

We didn't all agree on this mess, because (once again) your tendency to post utter foolishness rears its silly head.

There is no death penalty for insolent children, nor for "cussing" your parents. Yes, the OT cites capital punishment for homosexuals, those who worship other gods (of course, bringing up the methods by which those gods were worshippied, i.e human sacrifice, and a bunch of other items about which you keep blubbering seems to be a problem for you.).

Seems you believe Jesus overrode Mosaic Law too?

But he didn't... Jesus commanded all his followers (Jews and Gentiles alike) to follow the old Mosaic Law.

That's basically Shariah Law: slavery, honour killings, Draconian punishments, all the psychopathic rantings of that abominable shithead called Yahweh... any of you Americans following that? (Voting for Palin doesn't count).

One, NOWHERE in Scripture is there any such "honor killings". Two, and the point over which the no-God squad keep fumbling, is what exactly makes these edicts "Draconian"?

One minute, you keep yelping about moral evolution and "fluid morality. Yet, when that morality flows in a way you don't like, you get all testy.

...girls having long nostril hair doesn't hurt anyone; it isn't morally reprehensible; it isn't an irreconcilable injustice; it isn't an affront to basic human decency.  So that's an empty argument that only shows your poor ability to draw parallels, Stella (no offence intended).

WHAT?

A better contrast would be the comparison between a godless atheist (like me) who openly speaks out against the intrinsic evils of slavery despite living in a time basically free of chattel slavery... and Jesus living in a world run on chattel slavery yet never speaking out against it.

I'd even go further and say wage slavery is also wrong... does that make me a more moral person than Jesus... I suppose technically it does.

NOT EVEN CLOSE!! One, there's no such thing as "intrinsic evil", per atheist standards, because of that pesky "moral fluidity". That's simply a man's morals flowing in a certain direction. And, if enough of them get that mindset, then you have the "moral evolution.

What makes chattel slavery "evil"? Whose rules say it's such and why, especially if other men deduce differently?

Let's take an example from Jesus' own life...

Jesus healed the daughter of a Roman centurion, then stayed for dinner. That dinner would have been served to Jesus by slaves (probably a few house slaves for a Roman centurion). So sitting there eating dinner, the centurion asks Jesus what he can do to repay him... Jesus doesn't ask anything of him... I understand that, maybe he didn't want to prostitute his super healing powers. But at the very least he could have given a little sermon about the evils of chattel slavery seeing as there would have been several chattel slaves waiting on him at the time.

Bet those slaves thought Jesus was a complete asshole.

But this brings us back to the topic of this thread... what can't god do? He can't act morally.

At best he can only meet the moral standards of the time.... the standards of those who imagine him.

Notwithanding how preposterous that statement is, what exactly makes the moral standards of the time any inferior to that of today, especially with you having NO MEASURING STICK (other than godless arrogance) to compare and contrast? I'd say that people of Jesus' say would find 21st century morality just as vile as you claim ancient morality among the Israelites was.

Let me explain...

I might be an atheist, but I understand a little bit about moral evolution and Darwinian altruism... so I can give a few examples of things that aren't considered immoral NOW... but undoubtedly will be in the future:

-the abuse of an asymmetric power relationship: a Biblical example would be God asking Mary to carry Jesus... did an uneducated 13 year-old girl feel she could actually say no to God; or a glowing Angel carrying a burning sword? Isn't it immoral to impregnate a 13 year-old even if you're the creator of the universe. This is considered immoral now, but still considered okay and moral if Yahweh does it for some reason (despite the damage such an early pregnancy does).

You can't be this cracked in the head. Why would it be immoral, if the conception is IMMACUATE (i.e. no freaky-deaky sex acts, unlike some deities we know)? Once again, you keep crying about immorality, with absolutely NO standards or rule book from which to reference.

Plus, notwithanding that Mary may not have been 13-years old (I'm not quite sure what her age was), whatever her age, IT WAS LEGAL MARRYING AGE, and certainly did NOT run afoul of Biblical law. Heck, girls in the USA can marry as young as 12 (with parental consent) in certain states.

-manipulation by threat of violence: a Biblical example would be the entire concept of judgement and infinite punishment (hell). Nowadays you often hear the threat of violence used in relation to self-defence... that won't always be considered a valid justification for violence.

So, exactly how were those who continue to disobey laws and assaault people, unprovoed, to be dealth with? You tell people to quit sacrificing women; they ignore you and keep doing it. HOW DO YOU STOP THEM, say "Pretty Please, with sugar on top"?

-ownership of private property: slavery is the most extreme Biblical example of this. Our modern economic system is based on the concept of private property rights (or should I say corporate rights to private property), but as the Earth gets more crowded and better developed such selfishness will no longer be tolerated when people understand the benefits of universally communal property and resources.

-debt... Biblically the most ridiculous debts are those of sin; innocent children killed to punish their evil-doing parents etc. Nowadays capitalism itself is based on ever escalating levels of debt, but in the future debt itself will be considered immoral; as just another form of wage slavery.

AHH!! More socialist gibberish with tons of emotion but zero substance. I don't see you, putting a gun to your hhead, trying to make extra space on this "overcrowded" planet of ours. Besides, what do your ilk plan to do about it? Dictating to people how many kids they can have, or going on a killing spree to make room?

As for your continued crying about innocent children, again, what's to be done with them? Do you leave them to starve in the desert, with no parents, or do you assimilate them (OOPS!!! you were just complaining about that not too long ago?)

And, as stated eaarlier, even in this day and age, children pay for the sins of their parents. For example, when Katrina hit the Gulf Coast in 2005, how many innocent kids DIED, becuse their bone-headed parents didn't heed the warnings and the edicts to EVACUTATE the area? How many innocent people DIED, becuase local and state officials didn't take the threats of Katrina seriously, until it was too late?

Why can't god give us future-proof morals?

Why can't god give us some sort of theory that allows us to understand the processes that produce morality itself...? Like Evolution did.

When Moses read the ten commandments from Jebul Madbh, wouldn't the smart people in the audience have tuned out when it went three commandments without any mention of rape; torture or slavery...?

Couldn't god set aside his ego long enough (the first three commandments are all about stroking his ego), to ban the big stuff:
1-Thou shalt not torture.
2-Thou shalt not rape.
3-Thou shalt not enslave.

If I'm so patently more moral than your God, why aren't you guys worshipping me?

The Luke

Because, Christians prefer to worship an entity that actually has a clue and some sense.

As for your stupid claims, it appears your ability to read has short-circuited AGAIN.

"Thou shalt not torture" That's covered in the Commandments and further exmplained in the Levitical laws.

"Thous shalt not rape"? HELLO!!!! Rape was a capital offense (something that it is NOT, now, at least not in the USA).

"Thou shall not enslave" I covered that months ago. Chattel slavery was banned. Other forms of indebtedness were based on poverty, punishment for crimes (i.e. rape), etc.

And, in case you missed it, rape, human sacrifice, chattel slavery, etc. were among the things that Israel's neighbors were doing. That's why God had the Israelites strip them of their land, in the first place.

And, He ordered the Israelites NOT to follow in their footsteps (Deut. 12:29-31). But, they disobeyed and paid the price for their disobedience.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #290 on: April 04, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »
What does universal healthcare have to do with charity?

If anything, it is the VERY OPPOSITE OF SUCH?

Forcing someone to pay for someone's else medical expenses (via excessive taxation) ain't charity. Plus, as we've seen time and time again, the very people that are supposed to be helped, end up being shafted, due to red tape.

If you and Luke are so fired up about footing someone else's bills, why don't you find a random family with no coverage AND PAY THEIR WAY OUT OF YOUR OWN RESPECTIVE POCKETS.

I'm not American, thank God (pun intended). I already pay my taxes which supports other peoples' health care.

You seem to be somewhat uniformed as to the benefits/drawbacks of universal health care, but I would assume that's due to lack of any real world experience. I'm not getting into that here anyway as it's another issue entirely.

The point being made by my previous post is regarding the outright refusal of supposedly moral people to help those in need. According to your post, you're more interested in keeping your money than helping others, your own Countrymen no less, even if you have the means.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2010, 09:40:03 AM »
I'm not American, thank God (pun intended). I already pay my taxes which supports other peoples' health care.

You seem to be somewhat uniformed as to the benefits/drawbacks of universal health care, but I would assume that's due to lack of any real world experience. I'm not getting into that here anyway as it's another issue entirely.

The point being made by my previous post is regarding the outright refusal of supposedly moral people to help those in need. According to your post, you're more interested in keeping your money than helping others, your own Countrymen no less, even if you have the means.

WRONG!! When you help someone, you do so OF YOUR OWN CONVICTIONS, not because a bunch of government bureaucrats raid your wallet and take your money.

And, those in need, end up getting SCREWED anyway, because the lion's share of those dollars go to the bureaucrats and their buddies, NOT to those countrymen in need.

To flip the script, how "Moral" ARE YOU, in this instance? If your government weren't snatching your cash away to supposedly help those in need, would you be coughing up your $$$$ OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL, to give healthcare to those who don't have it?

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »
WRONG!! When you help someone, you do so OF YOUR OWN CONVICTIONS, not because a bunch of government bureaucrats raid your wallet and take your money.

And, those in need, end up getting SCREWED anyway, because the lion's share of those dollars go to the bureaucrats and their buddies, NOT to those countrymen in need.

To flip the script, how "Moral" ARE YOU, in this instance? If your government weren't snatching your cash away to supposedly help those in need, would you be coughing up your $$$$ OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL, to give healthcare to those who don't have it?

What one does of their own personal accord or via enforced charity, was not what my original post's intent to address. I'm personally involved in charitable organizations, both monetarily, and through physical means. But again, that's a digression of my original post.

I am implying that it is/was the majority of the Christian right who value(d) monetary gain over human welfare.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: April 04, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »

you have some fucked up worldviews, reality is so skewed in your mind, its almost as if you have lost touch with reality.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #294 on: April 04, 2010, 10:28:32 AM »

you have some fucked up worldviews, reality is so skewed in your mind, its almost as if you have lost touch with reality.

Yeah. I try to be PC most of the time, but this pretty much sums it up.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #295 on: April 04, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »
What one does of their own personal accord or via enforced charity, was not what my original post's intent to address. I'm personally involved in charitable organizations, both monetarily, and through physical means. But again, that's a digression of my original post.

I am implying that it is/was the majority of the Christian right who value(d) monetary gain over human welfare.

And your implication is way off the mark. This issue isn't about human welfare, especially in the United States.

This is about a government, hell-bent on taking liberties from people and dictating to them what they do with their money, how they eat, how they raise their children, and several other issues, that have been discussed elsewhere.

Not to mention that it's the elitist liberal left from other countries, who show how much faith they have in universal healthcare, BY HAULING THEIR BEHINDS to USA, to get procedures that their wonderful system can't or won't provide. To top it all off, thsose in DC who yak about their great reform AREN'T EVEN ON THEIR OWN PROGRAM (including our current President).

Because I believe that I should decide whether to be charitable and how I should do such, not some politicians from DC? Charity is only such WHEN IT IS VOLUNTARY. Perhaps, you can't see that due to your "F&#%@* UP worldviews", that you think it's your job (or that of your government) to force someone else to be "charitable"

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #296 on: April 04, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »

...seconded.

The Luke

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: April 04, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »
And your implication is way off the mark. This issue isn't about human welfare, especially in the United States.

This is about a government, hell-bent on taking liberties from people and dictating to them what they do with their money, how they eat, how they raise their children, and several other issues, that have been discussed elsewhere.

Not to mention that it's the elitist liberal left from other countries, who show how much faith they have in universal healthcare, BY HAULING THEIR BEHINDS to USA, to get procedures that their wonderful system can't or won't provide. To top it all off, thsose in DC who yak about their great reform AREN'T EVEN ON THEIR OWN PROGRAM (including our current President).

Because I believe that I should decide whether to be charitable and how I should do such, not some politicians from DC? Charity is only such WHEN IT IS VOLUNTARY. Perhaps, you can't see that due to your "F&#%@* UP worldviews", that you think it's your job (or that of your government) to force someone else to be "charitable"

you always miss the point, the point is the christians are against this bill, the right wing conservatives.If you have more then enough which i know you do then why wouldnt you support a bill like the liberals and help the poor and middle class with there health concerns, seems christian to me. You live nothing like christ, you know that right?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #298 on: April 04, 2010, 01:35:15 PM »
you always miss the point, the point is the christians are against this bill, the right wing conservatives.If you have more then enough which i know you do then why wouldnt you support a bill like the liberals and help the poor and middle class with there health concerns, seems christian to me. You live nothing like christ, you know that right?

Because, the bill is loaded with more pork than a Texas BBQ, that will hurt the poor EVEN MORE than they already are. To say NOTHING of the aforementioned overtaxation and attempts at FORCED "charity".

That's why many conservatives OPPOSED this bill/law. And, it's why your claim that not supporting this mess makes one un-Christian is beyond ridiculous.

Besides, if this bill is about helping them, why do the so-called benefits NOT KICK for at least FOUR YEARS?

The liberals are about nanny-state socialism, NOT helping the poor (which would explain why many of the liberals who imposed this mess aren't on their plan THEMSELVES).

If ths crap were so "Christian", the nefarious way in which it was passed into law woudl have NEVER occured. But, for some stange reason, I don't hear YOU, or any other of your no-God squad buddies, whining about that. Go figure.

And, since Christ never mandated that people's money be siphoned from them, via the government, and "given" to the poor, your chirps about Christianity (as it relates to healthcare), are quite WEAK.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: April 04, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
Because, the bill is loaded with more pork than a Texas BBQ, that will hurt the poor EVEN MORE than they already are. To say NOTHING of the aforementioned overtaxation and attempts at FORCED "charity".

That's why many conservatives OPPOSED this bill/law. And, it's why your claim that not supporting this mess makes one un-Christian is beyond ridiculous.

Besides, if this bill is about helping them, why do the so-called benefits NOT KICK for at least FOUR YEARS?

The liberals are about nanny-state socialism, NOT helping the poor (which would explain why many of the liberals who imposed this mess aren't on their plan THEMSELVES).

If ths crap were so "Christian", the nefarious way in which it was passed into law woudl have NEVER occured. But, for some stange reason, I don't hear YOU, or any other of your no-God squad buddies, whining about that. Go figure.

And, since Christ never mandated that people's money be siphoned from them, via the government, and "given" to the poor, your chirps about Christianity (as it relates to healthcare), are quite WEAK.

YOU LIVE NOTHING LIKE CHRIST. you are far from the mark, you actually go against his teachings do you not?

The 50 million with no health care will soon have it. OVERTAXATION? in respect to what the gross differences in wealth? how can bill gates be over taxed huh? How can the rich be overtaxed with there bentleys, gucci purses. Seriously get a grip, the rich should be taxed more to help society, since when did helping those in need come secondary to acquiring and maintaining wealth. Christ would spit in your face if he wasnt christ :D.