Author Topic: Take action now to stop FDA Regulation of the supplement industry.  (Read 5793 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Take action now to stop FDA Regulation of the supplement industry.
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
I personally believe all Drugs should legal to do in the privacy of your own home.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »
Point is, whether you think vitamins and supplements are worth a damn or not let people decide for themselves. Aren't people getting sick of this nanny government telling you what they think is good for you or not?

It's one thing to imploy moral persuasion to do things that are good for you (like exercise/good diet) or to avoid things that are bad for you (smoking/riding without a helmet) but it's quite another to pass laws, using the power of government, to force you to do what they deem is best for you.

Leave us alone already.

exactly.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 05:22:36 PM »
exactly.
You are barking up the wrong tree then.  Reread the actual text of the bill.  You are being misguided as the bill does not read what you THINK it does.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 05:23:20 PM »
Thats just it, the bill is not outlawing or keeping anyone from doing anything. 

There's already regulations governing the industry. As I understand it for the industry to get government approval will be cost prohibitive and essentially destroy the industy. What do you think this bill will do and why is it necessary?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »
I personally believe all Drugs should legal to do in the privacy of your own home.

The government is suppose to protect you from what you do to others not what you do to yourself. So, of course, when talking about adults (children do not have the same rights), what you do to your own body is your business. Your body is YOUR body. You own it. No one else.

The point to me is not whether something is good or bad for you but who should decide.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »
There's already regulations governing the industry. As I understand it for the industry to get government approval will be cost prohibitive and essentially destroy the industy. What do you think this bill will do and why is it necessary?

he is too busy playing devil's advocate to answer any questions.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
Prevent fly-by night "companies" from selling proprietary blends of snake oil by being held accountable for the efficacy of their product as all other businesses do.

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »
There's already regulations governing the industry.

I’m pretty clueless about this stuff.. what type of regulations are in place now?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »
he is too busy playing devil's advocate to answer any questions.

I have to confess, and I rarely do this, that I'm commenting on a thread that I didn't read straight through.

So are you accusing me of agreeing with TA? I may have to rethink my position.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »
The government is suppose to protect you from what you do to others not what you do to yourself. So, of course, when talking about adults (children do not have the same rights), what you do to your own body is your business. Your body is YOUR body. You own it. No one else.

The point to me is not whether something is good or bad for you but who should decide.
Again, this bill is not limiting what you can put into your body.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 05:36:42 PM »
Prevent fly-by night "companies" from selling proprietary blends of snake oil by being held accountable for the efficacy of their product as all other businesses do.

But we already have that. Nutritional companies are constantly being sued for outlandish claims. And it hasn't stopped it from other industries. What about that claim that if you eat 3 bowls of oatmeal you will lower your cholesteral? I read where blue berries is suppose to make you smarter. I remember I got taken for 5 bucks as a kid when I order a course that would teach me the secrets of Dim Mak where I could kill a man with a single strike.

You live and learn, brah. Unless you're a retard (no offense Palin) you're not going to go through your whole life being a sucker. We all have to grow up. I don't need or want the government's nose in every part of my life "looking out" for me.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
Again, this bill is not limiting what you can put into your body.

As far as I understand it it will make it much more costly for the supplement industry to stay in business. America has survived without another law. Why is this one so necessary? Why is the supplement industry against it?

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
But we already have that. Nutritional companies are constantly being sued for outlandish claims. And it hasn't stopped it from other industries. What about that claim that if you eat 3 bowls of oatmeal you will lower your cholesteral? I read where blue berries is suppose to make you smarter. I remember I got taken for 5 bucks as a kid when I order a course that would teach me the secrets of Dim Mak where I could kill a man with a single strike.

You live and learn, brah. Unless you're a retard (no offense Palin) you're not going to go through your whole life being a sucker. We all have to grow up. I don't need or want the government's nose in every part of my life "looking out" for me.

yep. and not everyone looks good in hotpants, even if the clothing industry tries to convince you of such. ppl *could* get hurt, or even killed! if a fat person wears them. traffic accidents, broken cameras, BLINDNESS, etc.  ;D

Abacab

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 05:44:16 PM »
If this bill passes, the costs of producing and selling even the most basic nutritional supplements is going to be much higher than it is now, to the point where the industry would pretty much shut down and be taken over by big pharma. Ron would be out of a job.

slate

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
Point is, whether you think vitamins and supplements are worth a damn or not let people decide for themselves. Aren't people getting sick of this nanny government telling you what they think is good for you or not?

It's one thing to imploy moral persuasion to do things that are good for you (like exercise/good diet) or to avoid things that are bad for you (smoking/riding without a helmet) but it's quite another to pass laws, using the power of government, to force you to do what they deem is best for you.

Leave us alone already.

that is an often repeated but obvious fallacy. No man is an island. Why does the law say u need to wear a seat belt? Well it is not because of the possibility your thick head may kill someone. First why are there laws at all, I mean u could just say why am I subject to other men laws. Well it has been found that for their own protection most people demand their communities to be ruled by laws from which other people cannot opt out. So if you believe in the rule of law u are already abdicating some of ur freedom. Assuming u believe in laws then u can say, but why should I obey those laws that concern only me. Well because there is no real “only me”. Many people (who make the laws) believe that what you do with your life concerns them because life is sacred (god etc) or they owe u a duty of care. If u say fuck that, then think that when u die or get ill there are consequences to many other people. You take a shit drug and get chronically ill. In the end someone will end up paying ur bills. So what about their rights. U say fuck that- well then u don’t give a shit about other people so why would they care about ur opinion

end of lesson

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:41 PM »
thank you on the cute part. i keep trying  ;D

I should have banged you when i had the chance  ;D ;D

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »
As far as I understand it it will make it much more costly for the supplement industry to stay in business. America has survived without another law. Why is this one so necessary? Why is the supplement industry against it?

TA never answers any questions. only makes blanket statements. Anyway, you all fight amongst yourselves for a while. Im gonna go get my LEG workout on! whew!!

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 05:47:45 PM »
yep. and not everyone looks good in hotpants, even if the clothing industry tries to convince you of such. ppl *could* get hurt, or even killed! if a fat person wears them. traffic accidents, broken cameras etc.  ;D

There was a guy I knew in LA that had his tongue spilt to look like a lizard and had spikes punched in his skull. Not really my thing and I'm sure you can get hurt getting that procedure but it was his choice and other than having to look at him, it doesn't effect me and is none of my, or anybody elses, business.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 05:48:58 PM »
The supplement industry is full of a bunch of low life crooks.. ripping people off with bullshit products that don’t work… or often times do not contain what the label claims. This is one industry that could use a little *regulation*.

Listen up - you do not need supplements, just eat a well balanced diet and save your cash.

My thoughts exactly..

It's all scam products and none if it is necessary.

We would not have ingredients on any of our food products if not for FDA regulation.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 05:49:30 PM »
that is an often repeated but obvious fallacy. No man is an island. Why does the law say u need to wear a seat belt? Well it is not because of the possibility your thick head may kill someone. First why are there laws at all, I mean u could just say why am I subject to other men laws. Well it has been found that for their own protection most people demand their communities to be ruled by laws from which other people cannot opt out. So if you believe in the rule of law u are already abdicating some of ur freedom. Assuming u believe in laws then u can say, but why should I obey those laws that concern only me. Well because there is no real “only me”. Many people (who make the laws) believe that what you do with your life concerns them because life is sacred (god etc) or they owe u a duty of care. If u say fuck that, then think that when u die or get ill there are consequences to many other people. You take a shit drug and get chronically ill. In the end someone will end up paying ur bills. So what about their rights. U say fuck that- well then u don’t give a shit about other people so why would they care about ur opinion

end of lesson

i think we can all agree that there should be 'basic' laws. thats not what this arguement is about

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »
There was a guy I knew in LA that had his tongue spilt to look like a lizard and had spikes punched in his skull. Not really my thing and I'm sure you can get hurt getting that procedure but it was his choice and other than having to look at him, it doesn't effect me and is none of my, or anybody elses, business.

i keep AGREEING with you, but for some reason you dont think I am!!! lol   ..anyway,

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
bypass all this government regulation and do steroids

slate

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 05:52:14 PM »

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/carpaltunnelsyndrome/a/carpal_tunnel.htm
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that causes pain, numbness, and tingling in the fingers or hands, particularly the thumb, index, middle, or ring fingers. Loss of sensation in the fingers and weakness in the hands can also occur.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by repetitive finger and hand use (especially with improper positioning). A nerve called the median nerve becomes compressed as it passes through the carpal tunnel, the narrow passageway of bones and ligaments on the underside of the wrist.

Conditions such as obesity, pregnancy, hypothyroidism, arthritis, and diabetes can also cause carpal tunnel syndrome.

Natural Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatments
Here are eight natural remedies that are used for carpal tunnel syndrome relief.

1) Acupuncture
Acupuncturists insert thin needles into specifics point on the body. Traditional theory holds blockages along energy pathways in the body, called meridians, can cause pain. Acupuncture releases these blockages and improves the flow of energy along meridians.

A scientific explanation is that acupuncture may release natural pain-relieving chemicals into the body, promote circulation in body, and balance the nervous system.

What is a treatment like? For carpal tunnel syndrome, acupuncture points are generally on the wrist, arm, thumb, and hands, as well as other parts of the body such as the upper back, neck, and leg.

The number of acupuncture sessions depends on various factors such as how long you've had the symptoms, symptom intensity, how much you use your arms and hands, and your overall health.

Laser acupuncture, which uses a handheld laser instead of acupuncture needles, is also used for carpal tunnel syndrome. One study looked at 36 people with a median pain duration of 24 months. Fourteen had one to 2 surgical release procedures with no results. After three laser acupuncture sessions a week for 4 to 5 weeks, 33 people had no pain or their pain was reduced by more than 50%. All of the people who had failed surgery had a noticeable improvement. Acupuncture wasn't a quick-fix-the follow-up after 1-2 years found that pain returned for only 2 people out of 23 people, and they were successfully treated within several weeks.

Find an acupuncturist

More about acupuncture
2) Acupressure
Acupressure is based on the same principles as acupuncture. Instead of applying needles to acupuncture points, pressure is applied, which is thought to stimulate blood flow to the wrists and hands and ease numbness and swelling in the area.

Acupressure points for carpal tunnel syndrome are typically on the wrists, forearms and hands.

Here how to do acupressure for carpal tunnel syndrome.

3) Vitamin B6
In several research studies, vitamin B6 deficiency has been associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. A study by the Portland Hand Surgery and Rehabilitation Center in Oregon examined 441 people and found that higher levels of vitamin B6 were associated with fewer carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms. Researchers also found that higher levels of vitamin C relative to lower vitamin B6 levels were associated with a higher prevalence and greater frequency of carpal tunnel symptoms.

A Japanese study of 174 university students found that students with lower levels of vitamin B6 showed symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Food Sources of vitamin B6 include sweet potatoes, avocados, brown rice, sunflower seeds, chick peas, salmon, pork, chicken, turkey, potatoes, bok choy, barley, bananas, and mangoes.

Risk factors for vitamin B6 deficiency:

diet lacking in vitamin B6

use of oral contraceptives or HRT

consumption of foods containing yellow dye #5, such as some types of macaroni and cheese and pickles

stress

A typical dose of vitamin B6 for carpal tunnel syndrome is 50 mg 2 to 3 times a day. Side effects may include increased urination. It can take up to 6 weeks to notice an improvement. The maximum intake from all sources should be less than 200 mg a day, unless otherwise recommended by your doctor.

4) Herbal Medicine, Vitamins, and Supplements
Enzyme supplements such as bromelain or combination enzyme products (e.g. Wobenzym) may help to reduce tissue swelling associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. It can take several weeks to notice results. The main food source of bromelain is pineapple.

Arnica - a double blind randomized study by the Department of Plastic Surgery of Queen Victoria Hospital in West Sussex, England examined whether arnica can speed up the recovery of hand surgery compared to placebo. People who took homeopathic arnica tablets and arnica ointment had a significant reduction in pain after two weeks. There was no difference in grip strength or swelling between the two groups.

Vitamin B12 - a study looked at the effectiveness of vitamin B12 for people with carpal tunnel syndrome due to overuse of the nonparalyzed arm after stroke. For two years, 67 people in the study received 1500 mcg of vitamin B12 a day, and the remaining 68 did not. After two years, there was significant improvement in the group taking vitamin B12 compared to the untreated group.
More natural carpal tunnel syndrome treatments on the next page...

so what , do you think anyone is going to ban vitamins. that is not the issue here. And by the way note what i told u , carpal tunnel in both arms at the same time is very hard to imagine. just like developing cancer in both lungs simultaneously due to smoking

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 05:52:39 PM »

end of lesson

No, what you do to yourself is one thing. What you do to another is something else entirely.
Having someone else have to pay for your irresponsible behavior is a problem of socialism not freedom.

If you are going to give lessons you need to write better and more coherently.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
so what , do you think anyone is going to ban vitamins. that is not the issue here. And by the way note what i told u , carpal tunnel in both arms at the same time is very hard to imagine. just like developing cancer in both lungs simultaneously due to smoking

was the SYPTOMS of carpal tunnel caused by the B deficiency. and YES! banning vitamins IS what this is about. the supp company and big pharm being in CONTROL of natural substances, so they can patent them and make $$$,, again, more govt CONTROL! bc u wont be able to get w/o a presciption. hello!!!! do some of you even bother to read the RX thread or listen to Carls show? I provided the links to both.