Author Topic: Take action now to stop FDA Regulation of the supplement industry.  (Read 5788 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Take action now to stop FDA Regulation of the supplement industry.
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2010, 12:59:31 AM »
pellius is making some informative points. I am also not too well read on how much the industry regulates itself. good to know, thanks for posting the info.

I use to work part time at the Vitamin Shopped for a couple of years and I was surprised at how strict they were. What you said and the claims you made. And also how we were always pulling shit off the shelves because of some complaint, scandal or whatever. Even if it wasn't required, like the Hydroxycut incident. But if there was the slightest doubt off the shelves it went and I was playing Mr. Stockboy again. I hated it and didn't realize that the nutritional industry was on such pins and needles. But I think this probably applies to the big name stores like Vitamin Shopped, GNC, Vitamin World....
The hole in the wall places don't give a crap and get away with more because they are not watched as closely. And this applies to the brand names to the products you buy. Long term established big brand names, Puritan Pride, Natures Way, Source Naturals, any GMP certified brands. It's just not worth it to them to save a few shekels and risks ruining your reputation. Too much is at stake and too much work went into developing your reputation. You buy the cheap off name brands you're more likely get into trouble.

But this applies to everything you buy anywhere. Buy no name cheap stuff versus solid established brands -- it's your choice. Maybe I just want some everyday cheap athletic shoes that I'll use to kick around with and save the more expensive brand for when I'm doing some serious training. I don't need the government to tell me what's good for me. If I make a bad choice then it's live and learn. It's part of being an adult and taking responsibility for your choices you make in life. I already have a mommy and daddy. I don't need a nanny government always sticking their nose in my business.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2010, 01:30:22 AM »
I use to work part time at the Vitamin Shopped for a couple of years and I was surprised at how strict they were. What you said and the claims you made. And also how we were always pulling shit off the shelves because of some complaint, scandal or whatever. Even if it wasn't required, like the Hydroxycut incident. But if there was the slightest doubt off the shelves it went and I was playing Mr. Stockboy again. I hated it and didn't realize that the nutritional industry was on such pins and needles. But I think this probably applies to the big name stores like Vitamin Shopped, GNC, Vitamin World....
The hole in the wall places don't give a crap and get away with more because they are not watched as closely. And this applies to the brand names to the products you buy. Long term established big brand names, Puritan Pride, Natures Way, Source Naturals, any GMP certified brands. It's just not worth it to them to save a few shekels and risks ruining your reputation. Too much is at stake and too much work went into developing your reputation. You buy the cheap off name brands you're more likely get into trouble.

But this applies to everything you buy anywhere. Buy no name cheap stuff versus solid established brands -- it's your choice. Maybe I just want some everyday cheap athletic shoes that I'll use to kick around with and save the more expensive brand for when I'm doing some serious training. I don't need the government to tell me what's good for me. If I make a bad choice then it's live and learn. It's part of being an adult and taking responsibility for your choices you make in life. I already have a mommy and daddy. I don't need a nanny government always sticking their nose in my business.

I always buy NOW and Source Naturals for years. Love the quality, cant go wrong with either one. What it says on the label, IS what is in the product, and it always works for what I intended. I would be terribly sad to see these companies disappear.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2010, 01:39:31 AM »
Depends what you mean by "works." Are you saying that if you take a protein supplement you are not increasing your protein intake. My sister is anemic and is taking iron supplements on the advice of her doctor. Her red blood count is now normal. I don't process B12 and had to take monthly shots when I was a kid and young adult until they came out with the sublingual methyl version.

If taking Vit C or creatine "works" is for you to decide. But I do believe that when you take a Vit C pill or a creatine supplement you are getting both Vit. C and creatine.

I sometime take one of those energy drinks. It works. It has caffiene and other stimulants.

Also depends on what you mean by "supplement".

Yeah....vitamin C is vitamin C.

When I think of "supplements" i think of the bullshit BBing supplements that claim to build muscle but don't do jack shit. Aside from creatine, which basically just makes you hold water in your muscles, they are all ineffective.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 01:40:47 AM »
I always buy NOW and Source Naturals for years. Love the quality, cant go wrong with either one. What it says on the label, IS what is in the product, and it always works for what I intended. I would be terribly sad to see these companies disappear.

How could I haven't about NOW. That's one of my favs as well as Source Naturals. In fact, I have some Source Natural melatonin 2.5mg just inches from me and about to take it.

To answer James001 question about if it works. You damn well it does/

Good night. Amost midnight here in Hawaii.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 01:42:25 AM »

When I think of "supplements" i think of the bullshit BBing supplements that claim to build muscle but don't do jack shit. Aside from creatine, which basically just makes you hold water in your muscles, they are all ineffective.

I'm with you 100% there my brother.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2010, 01:47:55 AM »
How could I haven't about NOW. That's one of my favs as well as Source Naturals. In fact, I have some Source Natural melatonin 2.5mg just inches from me and about to take it.

To answer James001 question about if it works. You damn well it does/

Good night. Amost midnight here in Hawaii.

you lightweight! its almost 5am here in NYC!  ;D

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2010, 01:57:56 AM »
you lightweight! its almost 5am here in NYC!  ;D

I had root canal this afternoon  and I'm all hopped up on percocet right now  :D :D

That stuff gives me energy out the ass. I'm seriously thinking about hitting the gym right now.

I've already washed all my bedding, cooked meals for the next three days and put a new stereo in my truck

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2010, 02:00:10 AM »

Im not much into BBing supplements other than protien powder.. even at that I buy it in the form of powdered egg whites, so really its just food. I came at the bodybuilding community with this because you also stand to lose your choices in the matter. Some of you care, some of you dont. This will kill the entire supplement industry as we know it.
My main concern is the vitamins, herbal supplements, raw extracts, oils, etc. The things people take for granted. Natural products that FDA wants to control so that big pharma can patent and make $. Believe it or not, these substances are preventative to many types of cancers and cure many illnesses, not to mention greatly improving the quality of life.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2010, 02:04:47 AM »
Im not much into BBing supplements other than protien powder.. even at that I buy it in the form of powdered egg whites, so really its just food. I came at the bodybuilding community with this because you also stand to lose your choices in the matter. Some of you care, some of you dont. This will kill the entire supplement industry as we know it.
My main concern is the vitamins, herbal supplements, raw extracts, oils, etc. The things people take for granted. Natural products that FDA wants to control so that big pharma can patent and make $. Believe it or not, these substances are preventative to many types of cancers and cure many illnesses.

I believe that homeopathic supplements can be very effective, it's the BBing and weight loss crap that tars the whole industry.

I don't know much about it, but i would think they are going after the snake-oil salesmen...i don't think they give two shits about milk thistle and hawthorne berry. i could be wrong...I'll read the stuff you posted

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2010, 02:09:49 AM »
I believe that homeopathic supplements can be very effective, it's the BBing and weight loss crap that tars the whole industry.

I don't know much about it, but i would think they are going after the snake-oil salesmen...i don't think they give two shits about milk thistle and hawthorne berry. i could be wrong...I'll read the stuff you posted

ok, better yet.. listen to the show. www.superhumanradio.com  #453

i better take my ass to bed!!!  8) nite nite

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2010, 02:17:22 AM »
4 weeksout and I take only Tribulus(Obliged by Paco :-\),and vitamine. Thats it.
Basicaly i dont believe in supps.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2010, 02:48:33 AM »
4 weeksout and I take only Tribulus(Obliged by Paco :-\),and vitamine. Thats it.
Basicaly i dont believe in supps.

There have been a few scientific studies concluding that tribulus does not increase testosterone or strength in humans. Maybe the dosage was too low?

Here is a few:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15994038
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17530942

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2010, 02:58:44 AM »
There have been a few scientific studies concluding that tribulus does not increase testosterone or strength in humans. Maybe the dosage was too low?

Here is a few:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15994038
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17530942
Yeah. I know this.
Just i am taking that in case if it works.
but I am not expecting a significant effect though.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2010, 03:21:56 AM »
Yeah. I know this.
Just i am taking that in case if it works.
but I am not expecting a significant effect though.

It might work with high doses, as it did increase testosterone in animal studies.

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »

yes, its all bullshit.

It’s a shady industry and if it was regulated at all, which its not, these scum ball companies couldn’t rip people off anymore.

The entire *bodybuilding* industry is set up to rip people off.. the sup companies run the show.. I’d like to see all of them wiped out.

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2010, 10:21:16 AM »
pellius is making some informative points. I am also not too well read on how much the industry regulates itself. good to know, thanks for posting the info.

Laugh my fucking ass off.. *how well the industry regulates itself*.. you people are in dream land.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
yes, its all bullshit.

It’s a shady industry and if it was regulated at all, which its not, these scum ball companies couldn’t rip people off anymore.

The entire *bodybuilding* industry is set up to rip people off.. the sup companies run the show.. I’d like to see all of them wiped out.
truth, a little regulation of the sup industry wouldnt be a bad thing.
A

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2010, 09:07:42 PM »
follow this thread, and lets start one here as well.

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=30707

if you have a FB or myspace, post this in your status box.

URGENT!!!
Please take a few minutes of your time and listen to show #453 on www.superhumanradio.com
and then TAKE ACTION!!!
go to www.LEF.ORG
The time is NOW to turn this around.

no thx 
TEAM Nasser