Author Topic: BIGOREXIA  (Read 8730 times)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
Re: BIGOREXIA
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »
I myself, have BIGOREXIA.

We can't all be studs like you

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »
We can't all be studs like you

I wonder what Irishmuscle looks like. I mean, if he's that obsessed with working out and all.
X

Spoony Luv

• Getbig IV
  • FROM UP ABOVE!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »
Looks like this guy with Bigorexia also has a case of back-hairorexia...

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »
I was clinically diagnosed with this 5 years ago. The real name for BIGOREXIA, which is mentioned in the video is BODY DYSMORPHIC DISORDER.

I was diagnosed with that and thought it was a complete joke but just a anger problem.  :-\ I hate the way they try to break you down.  >:(
D

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
I wonder what Irishmuscle looks like. I mean, if he's that obsessed with working out and all.
I look like a skinny/fat outta shape string bean tiny tit right now. I just came back after a year off back in sept, BUT now i havnt trained for 3-4 months.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »
I look like a skinny/fat outta shape string bean tiny tit right now. I just came back after a year off back in sept, BUT now i havnt trained for 3-4 months.

yeah, I could pretty much tell by your posts that you're a tiny tit

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
yeah, I could pretty much tell by your posts that you're a tiny tit
YUP. ;)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »
bigorexia is a subclass of bdd, unofficially. the majority of people with bdd dont have any issues about their actual body at all, most of them are concerned about the appearance of their face, nose, eyes, skin..

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 02:21:59 AM »
omg

I misread the title and thought this thread was about hating black people

Not about vomiting up black people?

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 05:34:35 AM »
Nasser looking great there... seems a little upset though...

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 05:58:22 AM »
I think it is bunk. If you are into body building then you ARE going to be constantly thinking about your body. How your delts look in relation to you chest, arms, etc. How do you legs look? And so on...it's like a painter with a canvas, some are perfectionists, and the canvas is our bodies. Now, just like in painting, there are good artists, and then there are artists who have no reason to have a painter brush, pencil charcoal pencil in their hands...and there are those who should not bodybuild...

On the real I think people want to make up conditions so that they can either put them in category, or seemingly try to understand something without accurately really trying to understand it at all, and just push pills...pills that do more harm than good and keep you dependant on them.

Like sex addiction...Tiger Woods and Eric Benet neither had sexual addiction, but possibly both had wives hat wouldn't give it up...Halle Berry was one of them.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 06:51:55 AM »
I think it is bunk. If you are into body building then you ARE going to be constantly thinking about your body. How your delts look in relation to you chest, arms, etc. How do you legs look? And so on...it's like a painter with a canvas, some are perfectionists, and the canvas is our bodies. Now, just like in painting, there are good artists, and then there are artists who have no reason to have a painter brush, pencil charcoal pencil in their hands...and there are those who should not bodybuild...

On the real I think people want to make up conditions so that they can either put them in category, or seemingly try to understand something without accurately really trying to understand it at all, and just push pills...pills that do more harm than good and keep you dependant on them.

Like sex addiction...Tiger Woods and Eric Benet neither had sexual addiction, but possibly both had wives hat wouldn't give it up...Halle Berry was one of them.

I disagree with you. As previously stated, a disorder is only diagnosable when "C. The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning." So, if someone were to say that they are using their body to express themselves artistically, or that they think about their delts in comparison with their chest, this would not be labeled as a disorder. On the other hand, if a person is not going to school or work, loses his friends and wife, and spends all his money on protein instead of buying his child food, then yes, this would be diagnosable because its interfering with everyday functioning.

There is a HUGE difference between the guy who loves to bodybuild but keeps up with everyday functioning and the guy who loses his job because he's spending all day in the gym instead of going to work. I mean, that's the major difference when diagnosing.
X

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »

IIRC, didn't you post a couple of YouTube videos awhile back of you doing 20 rep squats, in a thread titled something similar?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »
SP1900, I understand what you are saying, but the guy whose bodybuilding interferes with is life or home life, is just putting his priorities in the wrong place...helping him understand this and keep it moving.

There are those that say they spend all day in the gym and have very little to show for it, we all know and have seen these people, it interferes with their job, love life, etc. Yet they will swear up and down that they are heavily into bodybuilding, yet they are either skinny fat, skinny, or just plain fat. Could it be said that they too have BDD?

Also, I know several people who were Diagnosed as to having ADD, their parents were like "no, she just needs a ass whipping and to be kept busy", and what has happened, they are successful people who lead normal lives with no medication.

Why is it that people born in the 70's and up have ADD? Could it be that the lax Baby Boomer Parenting has something to do with it. The BBP hallmarks of not requiring discipline in their children, the children not listening to them because they say, "Johnny, stop that", 10 times, with no recourse? What does his create? A child who doesn't listen, does what they want, and then when in school does the same thing, so the parents get the Doc who then diagnosis' the child with ADD.

Isn't there even one for children who refused to listen to their parents? My mother, who is a teacher was telling me of that one...

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 12:07:01 PM »
SP1900, I understand what you are saying, but the guy whose bodybuilding interferes with is life or home life, is just putting his priorities in the wrong place...helping him understand this and keep it moving.

There are those that say they spend all day in the gym and have very little to show for it, we all know and have seen these people, it interferes with their job, love life, etc. Yet they will swear up and down that they are heavily into bodybuilding, yet they are either skinny fat, skinny, or just plain fat. Could it be said that they too have BDD?

Also, I know several people who were Diagnosed as to having ADD, their parents were like "no, she just needs a ass whipping and to be kept busy", and what has happened, they are successful people who lead normal lives with no medication.

Why is it that people born in the 70's and up have ADD? Could it be that the lax Baby Boomer Parenting has something to do with it. The BBP hallmarks of not requiring discipline in their children, the children not listening to them because they say, "Johnny, stop that", 10 times, with no recourse? What does his create? A child who doesn't listen, does what they want, and then when in school does the same thing, so the parents get the Doc who then diagnosis' the child with ADD.

Isn't there even one for children who refused to listen to their parents? My mother, who is a teacher was telling me of that one...

Diagnoses are not black and white, they are very dependant on the interpretation of the psychologist/psychiatrist diagnosing the patient, they depend on the diagnostic tools used.
Many personality disorders seem to be comorbid, they co-exist with one or more other psychopathologies, overlapping and influencing each other, making proper diagnosis often tricky.
Diagnoses are also a must in order to benefit from health-insurance. Even if the psychologist is not exactly sure, but it's obvious the patient can do with treatment, the psychologist will need to apply a lable just to get the insurance company on board.

Actual appearance is not a diagnostic marker for BDD. BDD is not only rlinked to bodybuilders, it is suggested that anorexia and bigorexia are in fact different incarnations of a the same psychopathology. Both are considered issues with absurd control over ones body (often in response to feeling not in control of their own life), and if present can interfere with an individuals life in very profound ways.  Helping them understand  they have their priorities wrong is incredibly hard. Anorexia is famous for being a bitch to treat and more than half of the patients will fall back as soon as treatment ends.

Many criteria for disorders are to some extent arbitrary, as they are contrasted to 'normal' behaviour. And norms change and may vary per region. The last 3 decades have seen a rapid medicalisation of common 'malheurs'. The pharmaceutical industry is a driving force behind this: diffusing and widening the inclusion criteria for disorders, they even try to create new ones: penopause. Why? so they can push more drugs. This is often embraced by parents with an unruly child: drugs are a direct pathway to behaviour, it does not require much effort. (in contrast to cognitive behavioral therapy, which will also require effort and cooperation from the family). Drugs are often not in the best interest of the kid, they are mostly merely suppression of symptoms.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 01:24:37 PM »
Thank Samouri Pizzacat, you are not from Mars after all .
 I dont really follow the physche field that much, but the whole drugging up of our children, and creating chemically dependant young adults (read addicts) can not be good for the public in the long term, only good for the drug companies pockets.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »
"SP1900, I understand what you are saying, but the guy whose bodybuilding interferes with is life or home life, is just putting his priorities in the wrong place...helping him understand this and keep it moving."

Only if it was that easy. Simply showing a person that their priorities are wrong will not always lead to a change in behavior. If it was that easy, all drug addicts would be cured instantaneously, but they're not.

"There are those that say they spend all day in the gym and have very little to show for it, we all know and have seen these people, it interferes with their job, love life, etc. Yet they will swear up and down that they are heavily into bodybuilding, yet they are either skinny fat, skinny, or just plain fat. Could it be said that they too have BDD?"

It does not matter the outcome, i.e., whether or not the guy has actually obtained muscle, etc. All that matters is whether or not his behaviors are interfering with daily functioning. Being diagnosed with BDD is not dependent on the actual results you make in the gym. Its the behavior you use to try and achieve those results.

"Also, I know several people who were Diagnosed as to having ADD, their parents were like "no, she just needs a ass whipping and to be kept busy", and what has happened, they are successful people who lead normal lives with no medication."

Of course there are these cases. Remember, Psychology/Psychiatry isn't perfect. Flaws exist in the medical field, in the law field, etc. So, yes, I do agree that some children are diagnosed with ADD when they don't need to be; on the other hand, this is not always the case.

"Why is it that people born in the 70's and up have ADD? Could it be that the lax Baby Boomer Parenting has something to do with it. The BBP hallmarks of not requiring discipline in their children, the children not listening to them because they say, "Johnny, stop that", 10 times, with no recourse? What does his create? A child who doesn't listen, does what they want, and then when in school does the same thing, so the parents get the Doc who then diagnosis' the child with ADD."

People born in the 70's and up have ADD because we have learned a lot since then. Like I said, some children just do need better discipline. Contrary to that, there are some children who really do have developmental delays. Its not so black-and-white as you think. Diagnosing is not easy.

I am not saying the mental health field is perfect. Like any other field, it has its flaws.

Lastly, diagnosing is a must for insurance reimbursement. You would be surprised how much this happens. So, even if a person doesn't fit into a distinct category, you have to diagnose them with something so the insurance companies will reimburse you. You might not let that diagnose inform your treatment because you realize that you only diagnosed that person for insurance reasons. Thus, your treatment will follow from what you actually think the person has; obviously, you try to come as close as you possibly can to an accurate diagnosis.
X

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »
I don't get why this guy in the video claims to have such a "severe problem". So he's obsessive with diet and training. Any serious BB'er will be. He mentions no outside problems with finances, relationships, and health, so WTF dude.  Don't be afraid with some lifetime dedication. Most people's problems are the complete opposite. In the end of the clip he says he won't be happy until he wins a major bodybuilding title. At least that is a rational, concrete goal.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 03:59:58 PM »

Actual appearance is not a diagnostic marker for BDD. BDD is not only rlinked to bodybuilders, it is suggested that anorexia and bigorexia are in fact different incarnations of a the same psychopathology. Both are considered issues with absurd control over ones body (often in response to feeling not in control of their own life), and if present can interfere with an individuals life in very profound ways.  Helping them understand  they have their priorities wrong is incredibly hard. Anorexia is famous for being a bitch to treat and more than half of the patients will fall back as soon as treatment ends.

Anorexia can kill you. "Bigorexia" , unless you resort to drugs, will just leave you better looking, stronger and healthier. I don't see how the two equate.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 07:49:32 PM »
I have Cockorexia , I wish my cock was bigger

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »

LOL.  :D
X

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 07:55:54 PM »

But you have a hot wife.  8)
D

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »
Me being the future clinical psychologist on this board (  ;D ), let me state that it is not classified as a disorder unless "the symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning." Every disorder has to meet this criteria. If not, then you are not diagnosable. If so, well.................. :-\ :-\

That's right. I can train 3 or 4 hours a day (train at home), and 90 % of my thoughts can be about training (I like to calculate all these per cents and stuff and have no life), I often see food as fuel, I don't really care about eating if I'm not training. But I don't have any problems with it.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 08:05:49 PM »
But you have a hot wife.  8)
Yeah  but she is not very happy with my size either  :(

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2010, 08:26:21 PM »
Yeah  but she is not very happy with my size either  :(