Author Topic: Weighted pushups , need a little advice  (Read 875 times)

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Weighted pushups , need a little advice
« on: March 20, 2010, 04:27:47 PM »
I've got a 45 lb plate in a large gym bag wrapped in towels on my back that im doing them with, 4 sets wide 4 sets close.  I am taking some precautions but think a gym bag is probably not the way to go.  Anyone do these or know someone that does them and have any tips

Oh also anyone thinking of them for the record I do the wides off a barbell that has 25s on each end, against other weights.  This lets my wrist stay in a more neutral position and takes the stress off it.  I do the close grips off my knuckles but don't recommend it unless you have tried them with no weight.  My wrist actually buckled the first time i tried these on my knuckles. 

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Weighted pushups , need a little advice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:30:36 AM »
Just do benches please.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:32:02 AM »
^^ The simplest and most obvious suggestion.

However, if you favor bodyweight exercises & are interested in adding resistance, you may wish to invest in a weighted vest.

I've seen several versions, the nicest being one with "pockets" into which you can slide regular weight plates.
You can add as much or as little extra weight as you want and distribute it however you wish.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:28:41 PM »
Weighted vest is the best option. I've also seen guys in powerlifting gyms use a pile of the heavy bands for resistance(loop on one hand stretch across back to other hand) or chains. A sand bag also works real well.

Years ago, a company sold a push up platform for heavy weighted push ups, it looked like a t-bar row welded to a loading platform/center pin. I always laugh thinging about someone getting stuck under it.

After a certain point, you just gotta bench.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:44:58 PM »
Weighted vest is the best option. I've also seen guys in powerlifting gyms use a pile of the heavy bands for resistance(loop on one hand stretch across back to other hand) or chains. A sand bag also works real well.

Years ago, a company sold a push up platform for heavy weighted push ups, it looked like a t-bar row welded to a loading platform/center pin. I always laugh thinging about someone getting stuck under it.

After a certain point, you just gotta bench.
I was laughing reading this just thinking about it