Author Topic: who has payed for uninsured up untill now?  (Read 1742 times)

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
Re: who has payed for uninsured up untill now?
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 10:04:19 PM »
Yeah.  Thanks.  I know about that option, but I don't think most hospitals spend a lot of time chasing uninsured people they are required to treat (e.g., someone who shows up at the ER).  Most of the people they go after are those who have insurance and receive some treatment, but some of the treatment is not covered resulting in unpaid bills. 

True.
Lots of times, they will treat an Emergency patient and then toss them straight out. If it is critical, IE dying.
If not near death, they just won't let them in. IE on a stretcher from an ambulance.
Z

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:21 PM »
I'm just trying to understand....the gov gets money from me/you...the tax payer....they then give to the hospital workers?

the insurance companies get money from the insured....and give to the hospital?to help cover the cost of the uninsured?

so the guy that got mugged and stabbed but has no insurance but still gets stitched up....if he doesn't pay/files bankruptcy....the insurance companies and tax payers pay for him?

Or if itsn't serious enough, IE near death.

They won't do anything.
Z

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 10:11:19 PM »
Yeah.  Thanks.  I know about that option, but I don't think most hospitals spend a lot of time chasing uninsured people they are required to treat (e.g., someone who shows up at the ER).  Most of the people they go after are those who have insurance and receive some treatment, but some of the treatment is not covered resulting in unpaid bills.  

where does the costs of the unpaid bill go?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »
I'm just trying to understand....the gov gets money from me/you...the tax payer....they then give to the hospital workers?

the insurance companies get money from the insured....and give to the hospital?to help cover the cost of the uninsured?

so the guy that got mugged and stabbed but has no insurance but still gets stitched up....if he doesn't pay/files bankruptcy....the insurance companies and tax payers pay for him?

Noooo.   :)  Hospitals get paid by primarily two sources:  government reimbursements (Medicaid, Medicare, etc.) and insurance companies.  Hospitals charge for their services, which include overhead, profit, etc.  This is all part of the hospital's budget.  They pay salaries, pay for supplies, etc.  Their budgets have to account for a certain of amount of uncompensated services, just like a (good) store will account for a certain amount of shoplifting in their budget.  

Insurance companies don't reimburse the hospital for treatment of an uninsured person, but the monies hospitals receive as payment for their services go to their bottom line.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »
True.
Lots of times, they will treat an Emergency patient and then toss them straight out. If it is critical, IE dying.
If not near death, they just won't let them in. IE on a stretcher from an ambulance.

Joker not sure if they have these in Canada, but we have anti-patient dumping laws in the U.S. that require hospitals to treat anyone who shows up at the ER. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
Joker not sure if they have these in Canada, but we have anti-patient dumping laws in the U.S. that require hospitals to treat anyone who shows up at the ER. 
I thought the topic was who payed for the uninsured until now

what's the answer to that again?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 10:23:15 PM »
I thought the topic was who payed for the uninsured until now

what's the answer to that again?

thats what im trying to find out...BB just said something about medicare/medicad...were does that money come from?
DAWG

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 10:27:56 PM »
thats what im trying to find out...BB just said something about medicare/medicad...were does that money come from?

All money the government has comes from you.  People with Medicare/Medicaid are not "uninsured." 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »

where does the cost of medical care given to the uninsured go.

A report that came out a year ago estimated the cost in added premiums per year to a family was 1000 and to an individual ~ 370

The report found that, in 2008, uninsured people received $116 billion in health care from hospitals, doctors and other providers. The uninsured paid 37 percent of that amount out of their own pockets, and government programs and charities covered another 26 percent.

That left about $43 billion unpaid, and that sum made its way into premiums charged by private insurance companies to businesses and individuals, the report said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/05/28/health/main5045280.shtml

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 10:59:15 PM »
All money the government has comes from you.  People with Medicare/Medicaid are not "uninsured."  

ok...so the money comes from me/you...which = the tax payer....right?
DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 11:05:49 PM »
where does the cost of medical care given to the uninsured go.

A report that came out a year ago estimated the cost in added premiums per year to a family was 1000 and to an individual ~ 370

The report found that, in 2008, uninsured people received $116 billion in health care from hospitals, doctors and other providers. The uninsured paid 37 percent of that amount out of their own pockets, and government programs and charities covered another 26 percent.

That left about $43 billion unpaid, and that sum made its way into premiums charged by private insurance companies to businesses and individuals, the report said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/05/28/health/main5045280.shtml

OK...very interesting...
DAWG

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »
ok...so the money comes from me/you...which = the tax payer....right?

Money from the government comes from us, or at least those of us who pay taxes.  The money to pay for the guy in your hypothetical indirectly comes from us. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 11:20:13 PM »
Another study from the Center for American Progress estimates the cost per family for the medical care for the uninsured @ 1100 per year and 410 for individuals.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1887489,00.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2010, 05:53:39 AM »
I guess maybe I don't get it but what's up with all the people who are trying to raise money to get treatment?  I mean if they can just go in and get it, why does virtually every city across America have jars in stores raising money for somebody's cancer treatment or heart transplant or whatever.

Because some people have some dignity and pride and dont want other people paying for themselves. 

That is the difference between what we were as a nation and what we have become. 

We are now a nation of Henriettta's, Julio's, and Peggy's. 

We are going the way of Rome very rapidly and have only ourselves to blame. 

newmom

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 05:56:47 AM »
I don't have the greatest insurance because I pay out of pocket but when I was sent to the hospital via ambulance twice within 24 hours (severe galdstone attack and later that week emergency removal surgery) ambulance not covered but thank god it was an emergency surgery out of pocket total expense 4K. Ambulance alone was 850 bucks

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 07:48:54 AM »
I have a few friends that work in Texas and Minnesota medical that have had to deal with the uninsured.

Lots of Canadian doctors and nurses move back because they can't handle, refusing to help walk-ups.
The other thing happens to uninsured is that they get the lowest level of treatment unless they can pay out of pocket at that moment.

In Canada every one has coverage.
However, things like Ambulance rides and drugs outside of the hospital aren't so it can be pretty expensive if you don't have private insurance in Canada.
For example I know of working poor in Canad that have had to go on Welfare because their drug bills were so high, that small amount of private insurance wouldn't pay for them.
Z