Author Topic: Triceps exercises question....  (Read 6468 times)

splank

• Getbig II
Triceps exercises question....
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:06:07 AM »
What are the best three movements to use during a tricep workout?  Is it ineffective to use three "compound" movements in the same workout for tris?

Currently I am doing 3 sets of close grip bench, 3 sets of french presses and three sets of dips. All sets are between 8-12 reps. Should I drop one in favor of a cable press down or another type of tricep movement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

splank

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Triceps exercises question....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
choose the exercises that feel the best  :) not everyone will choose the same exercises, you should use the ones that you like the best and will work hardest on.

saopl

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:52:16 PM »
decline skull crushers

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
If you haven't figured out the answer yet, you soon will. As time goes on you will realize what has helped build them the most.

In the beginning anything you do is better than nothing.

My choice: Weighted dips, Close Grip Bench Presses, Overhead Rope Tricep Extensions.

That does not mean that nothing else works, what it means is that these exercises have risen to the top of my list through years of bodybuilding.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »
Great advice in this thread – the best being to try different things and choose the ones that work best for you.

My own experience…

Extensions from behind the head have worked best for me in terms of adding “total” triceps size.
This variety works the long heads, which account for the majority of posterior upper arm development.

There’s also an often-overlooked exercise in Arnold’s Encyclopedia.
I can’t remember how the book refers to them; I just call them bodyweight extensions. Some folks call them tiger dips.
Done properly, the entire length of your tri’s will ache for days afterwards.

Finally, I dislike the feel of close-grip BP’s, and the results I got didn’t justify doing them.
However, dips (and several variations of them) hit my lateral triceps heads quite nicely.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 07:50:59 PM »

There’s also an often-overlooked exercise in Arnold’s Encyclopedia.
I can’t remember how the book refers to them; I just call them bodyweight extensions. Some folks call them tiger dips.
Done properly, the entire length of your tri’s will ache for days afterwards.

???

Can you find a picture and post it please.
Thanx
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »
???

Thanx

Couldn’t find exactly what I wanted – this guy isn’t using the best technique, but it kind of captures the spirit of the movement:

Here’s a little bit better form:

Rather than using the TRX straps, envision doing these on a bar.

Pyramid and/or drop sets are easily facilitated by adjusting foot position (distance from the bar).
Also – if using an adjustable height rack – you could go up/down the ladder by quickly raising or lowering the bar to the next set of pegs.  
A Smith would also accomplish this.
The farther away you stand and the lower the bar, the harder the movement is.

You can also "spot" yourself towards the end, getting a few assisted reps by moving one foot closer to the bar and posting off of it.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »
???

Thanx

I actually have the original Arnold Encyclopedia. I haven't looked at it in years! The exercise is called "Fixed Bar Triceps Extensions" and it's on page 436 in the original copy. The model isn't actually Arnold (never noticed before!)-- It's Ali Malla.

I would scan it but I'm on my laptop right now.

"Purpose of Exercise: To fully stretch and develop the lower area of the triceps. Using this movement, you can completely stretch the triceps more safely than with any other exercise."

"Execution:(1) Using a fixed horizontal bar positioned at about waist height, grasp the bar with an overhand grip, hands about shoulder width apart. Lock your arms out to support your weight, then move your feet back until you are in a semi "push-up" position above the bar.

(2)Bend your arms and lower your body so that your head comes down below and under the bar as far as possible. When you feel the maximum stretch in your triceps, press forward with your arms and raise yourself back to the starting position, arms locked out."

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:28:25 AM »
I would advice doing skullcrushers,EZ-Curl bar,5-15 reps pyramiding up in weight and decreasing reps at the sets get heavier.

5 sets,of 15,12,8,5,12

After these,I would do seated French Press.......also using an E-Z Curl bar...........10,8,8,15 reps.

Finish off with Pressdowns for 3 sets of 20,15,and 10 reps again adding weight each set,then do one set of Triceps Dips Between Benches with weight in your lap(plates)............have someone remove the plates and keep going to failure.

If you`re a beginner,just do 4 skullcrusher,and 3 sets of pressdowns,followed by one set of the French Presses for high reps.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 03:29:47 AM »
Forgot to add,never use a rope on triceps cable exercises.

Just because it`s popular doesn`t mean it`s most effective.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 04:21:57 AM »
Forgot to add,never use a rope on triceps cable exercises.

Just because it`s popular doesn`t mean it`s most effective.

I always feel greater triceps involvement doing cable movements with a V-bar.

I suspect it's because I can handle more weight, relax my grip a bit, and focus more on the tri's - I'm just taking a guess (maybe somewhat akin to using a false grip on presses).

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »
 We call these bwt tri X's either tricep push off's or triceps push backs. No official name that I know of. The great thing about them is that you can do a 15 rep light pump set or make them a 3 rep max effort set. And all by just shifting the bwt very little. Also get an unbelievable tricep stretch, either way you do them.

Can also focus on one arm at a time, again by shifting the body from side to side a bit. Most guy's use a Smith or PR bar(like in the video). Can do them from a bench with a bench rack on it also. Have seen then done against a wall , "A" frame or just about any piece of equipment around. Kitchen counters, heavy tables, chairs, etc at home. Most guy's never seem to have any major elbow trouble when doing  them for any length of time.

For a superior tricep movement might try the 180 degrees dip, with elbows close to the sides throughout. Have a workout partner(or have a box/bench behind you to control any sway) hold the feet/legs in a straight up and down position when dipping. No leaning forward into the exercise, which calls upon more anterior delt and pec's. Want most of the focus mainly on the triceps themselves. A lot of experienced guy's find this a very difficult movement to master at first. Add weight as you progress with this exercise. A true mass builder. Good Luck.
F

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
This is what I did yesterday for triceps:

Decline close grip benches (4 sets)
Flat ez-bar skull crushers (3 sets)
Cable pushdowns (3 sets)

I never really tend to vary too much from these although I never do any dumbell work for triceps.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »
I have seen a few BB's develop elbow problems from "skull-crusher" type exercises. Surely one of the variables to the injuries would be using too much weight, improper exercise form, etc.

Personally, I've never really liked them much and prefer the cable movements. I'm sure a lot of it comes down to personal preferences and feel...

splank

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I will just play around with different exercises until I find what really works for me.   

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 08:07:51 AM »
years ago.....all I performed for tris were skull crushers with an ez bar.....triceps pushdowns with a short straight bar......and reverse grip cable extensions.....had decent tris but certainly nothing to write home about.

I took two years off from training and when I commenced training again.....I decided to focus on tris and calves. For tris I began doing close grips with an ez bar.....and overhead rope extensions......and finish with lying db extensions bringing the db across your face and ending by your ear.

My tris quickly developed off the exercises......my point being.....try a variety of exercises....if you feel they give you great development.....keep them in your routine......it is a very individual choice that you need to make for yourself.......decided what works best for your individual needs and goals.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:32 AM »
had a fantastic triceps workout last evening......here is what I did for the old horse shoes:

close grips on the smith machine....4 sets

overhead rope extensions.....4 sets

seated cybex triceps extensions....2 sets

all sets were taken to about 90 percent of failure.....10-12 reps

around 2 minutes of rest in between sets.

sensational pump.....just trying to get a little variety in my training, in an effort to keep things from going stale.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 07:56:19 AM »

I like the exercise in the videos posted, I've dubbed them "ladder extensions," since that is what they were called in the MD video I saw them posted in. I usually do them at the end of my workout- as I can't seem to find a way to make them harder for me. I guess next time I will try spacing my feet farther from the bar as suggested here.

CGBP has been a staple in my routine the last 3-4yrs, using that very often. I love lowering the bar on a 3sec count, and sometimes I will pause for up to 4secs and explode up. But I'm known to use the opposite count on that too- 208 or the like for a completely different affect on the arm.

A forgotten exercise that I haven't seen mentioned here; the Pullover and Press. At first I didn't think this would work the triceps at all. Boy was a wrong! My arm has completely changed shape from this exercise alone.

For the last 3wks I've only done the above 2 exercises, and added in a quick "burnout set" for a little extra pump really, usually Rev. 1-Arm Pressdowns. I chose this movement just because it's different than the others. But I could just as easily choose 1-arm standing extensions, decline french presses or maybe machine dips to add into the mix.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 09:47:02 AM »
The Pullover & Press has been one of my favorite exercises for years. Not only gets the triceps but also the lat's, pecs and abs. Also very good stretch on the rib box. Could consider it a almost complete upper body movement and is a mass builder.Some prefer a DB, rather than a BB, because of less stress on the wrist/forearms.

Once working into a P&P protocol, heavier weights can be used. Believe the record with a BB is in the upper 300's or perhaps the low 400's. Don't quite remember. 120 to 150's with DB has been done in regular workouts. Seems to work best with higher reps (10-15) and you will get a great pump, if that's what gets you off.

I have used the P&P with the GVT (10X10's) system for excellent results. Or even the 8X8's style (Gironda) Have also SS'es upright rows (another favorite movement) with the P&P. Just seems to blend together well, for me anyway. Good Luck.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »
lately ive been getting great results from this arm workout:

standing straight bar pushdowns (with back up against pad. all the way down and all the way up.)
single arm over head dumbell extensions (resting upper arm on head. full ROM, deep stretch at the bottom)
single arm dumbell preacher curls (ALL THE WAY down)

thats it. just tons and tons of sets. never to failure. full ROM.