Author Topic: Teen Gets Abortion With Help of Her Seattle High School  (Read 4433 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Teen Gets Abortion With Help of Her Seattle High School
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »
Marriage ages were much different a long time ago in the US. Were all those older men rapists and molesters?

We, as a culture, have lack any morals beyond whatever is convenient and there's no degree of depravity or indifference to the suffering of others we cannot rationalize if it suits our needs.

Saying "we have no morals" is a fact, not skepticism, LOL!

If a man was allowed to "marry" a child, then yes that was wrong, regardless of what the "law" said at the time.  Rationalization and the law don't always determine right and wrong.  There are some things that are universally immoral. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2010, 12:12:23 PM »
If a man was allowed to "marry" a child, then yes that was wrong, regardless of what the "law" said at the time.  Rationalization and the law don't always determine right and wrong.  There are some things that are universally immoral. 

Morals aren't universal so how can anything be universally immoral?

Murder, freedom fighter, terrorist, etc... are political definitions during war.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2010, 12:21:54 PM »
Morals aren't universal so how can anything be universally immoral?

Murder, freedom fighter, terrorist, etc... are political definitions during war.

You're too smart to believe that some things are not universally immoral.  For example, don't you believe child molestation is universally immoral? 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2010, 01:19:34 PM »
You're too smart to believe that some things are not universally immoral.  For example, don't you believe child molestation is universally immoral? 

Queef's in NAMBLA or ALCU would disagree.

That's an example that should be universally immoral but I'm no expert on how other cultures define it or the extent to which we have a right/obligation to impose our morals on them. I'm not counting countries with oil or other valuable resources because it's very important for us to share proper morals with them. :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »
Queef's in NAMBLA or ALCU would disagree.

That's an example that should be universally immoral but I'm no expert on how other cultures define it or the extent to which we have a right/obligation to impose our morals on them. I'm not counting countries with oil or other valuable resources because it's very important for us to share proper morals with them. :)

It's not something that should be immoral (child molestation).  It is immoral, whether it's legal or not.  I'm not saying everything that is universally immoral is or always has been illegal.  That's a different issue IMO.  I'm talking about what reasonable people know to be right and wrong.  There are a number of things that most of us will agree are wrong, whether they are legal or not.  Child molestation is one, right?    

The NAMBLA freaks are just a scourge on society.  Doesn't really matter what those perverts think.  

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2010, 01:31:09 PM »
It's not something that should be immoral (child molestation).  It is immoral, whether it's legal or not.  I'm not saying everything that is universally immoral is or always has been illegal.  That's a different issue IMO.  I'm talking about what reasonable people know to be right and wrong.  There are a number of things that most of us will agree are wrong, whether they are legal or not.  Child molestation is one, right?    

The NAMBLA freaks are just a scourge on society.  Doesn't really matter what those perverts think.  

I'll at least agree with ya on the NAMBLA/ACLU freaks but don't find most people reasonable unless perfectly getting their way. :)

Your language isn't usually this careful, LOL! "There are a number of things that most of will agree are wrong"?! Is essentially saying a majority gets to decide right and wrong?

Morals are another story. I'd argue moral behavior is more likely to stem from right thinking than morality. People complying with whatever rules/limits society has imposed or fearful of consequences aren't necessarily moral. The results are probably the same but moral and legally right may not always be the same.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »
I'll at least agree with ya on the NAMBLA/ACLU freaks but don't find most people reasonable unless perfectly getting their way. :)

Your language isn't usually this careful, LOL! "There are a number of things that most of will agree are wrong"?! Is essentially saying a majority gets to decide right and wrong?

Morals are another story. I'd argue moral behavior is more likely to stem from right thinking than morality. People complying with whatever rules/limits society has imposed or fearful of consequences aren't necessarily moral. The results are probably the same but moral and legally right may not always be the same.

I'm not talking about what eventually makes it way onto the law books and becomes legal or illegal.  I'm talking about an inherent sense of right and wrong.  Most people have it.  You can see it in little kids, despite their selfishness and innate ability to lie.   :) 

I understand where you're coming from.  Point I'm trying to make is right and wrong isn't necessarily decided by what's on the books.   

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »
I'm not talking about what eventually makes it way onto the law books and becomes legal or illegal.  I'm talking about an inherent sense of right and wrong.  Most people have it.  You can see it in little kids, despite their selfishness and innate ability to lie.   :) 

I understand where you're coming from.  Point I'm trying to make is right and wrong isn't necessarily decided by what's on the books.   

Our instruction and examples probably help children probably unlearn many good instincts. :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
Our instruction and examples probably help children probably unlearn many good instincts. :)

They learn a lot of bad stuff from us too.   :-\

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »

I have 2 daughters, both older than this girl.  Amazingly, they're not out committing crimes, doing drugs, or anything else.  The real issue seems to be that you don't think a 15 year old can consent to a procedure on her own body and I do.

how do you know?  maybe they do a bunch of bad things and there are adults that they can go to to help cover it up.  maybe they've gotten a few abortions.  if you lived in this school district they wouldn't have to tell you.