Author Topic: Teen Gets Abortion With Help of Her Seattle High School  (Read 4419 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Teen Gets Abortion With Help of Her Seattle High School
« on: March 24, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
More outrageous conduct by Planned Parenthood.  Heard a reporter say that Planned Parenthood told the girl if she tells her parents they will have to pay for the abortion, but if she kept it a secret the abortion is free.  Your tax dollars at work people. 

Teen Gets Abortion With Help of Her Seattle High School
The 15-Year-Old Was Reportedly Taken During School Hours in a Taxi to get an Abortion
By EMILY FRIEDMAN
March 24, 2010

A Seattle mother is irate after she said her 15-year-old daughter's school arranged an abortion for her daughter without her knowledge.

Mom says school helped assist in her daughter's abortion during school hours.The mother, whose name has been withheld at her request to protect her privacy, told ABC News' Seattle affiliate KOMO-TV that the clinic gave her daughter a pass and helped her get a taxi that took her to a facility where she underwent an abortion.

The mother did not immediately return messages left by ABCNews.com. It was not immediately clear how far along in the pregnancy the teen was at the time of the abortion.

The mother said that she had signed a consent form that permitted her daughter to go to the teen health center on the campus of Ballard High School for what she believed were ailments like earaches, or for routine physicals, but not for an abortion.

"She took a pregnancy test at school at the teen health center," the mother told KOMO. "Nowhere in the paperwork does it mention abortion or facilitating abortion."

The form also allowed her daughter to receive birth control from the school's health clinic, the mother said.

But even so, the mother is furious that her daughter, who is on the school's honor roll, was given an abortion without the school notifying her parents.

"We had no idea this was being facilitated on campus," said the mother. "They just told her that if she concealed it from her family, that it would be free of charge and no financial responsibility."

A spokeswoman for the Seattle School District, which includes Ballard High School, declined to comment and referred all questions to the King County Health Department, the administrator of school-based health programs.

Angry as the mother is that she was not informed about her daughter's quest and receipt of an abortion, the health clinic at the school did not break any laws.

A Seattle mother is furious with her 15-year-old daughter's high school after the health clinic there reportedly sent the teen to a clinic to have an abortion.

(ABC News)Under Washington state law, parental consent is not required when providing health care to minors, even when that care includes abortion.

"Minors may receive an abortion and abortion-related services at any age without the consent of a parent, guardian or the father of the child," the law states.

Minors who are older than 13 can also receive testing for sexually transmitted diseases, both inpatient and outpatient mental health care, and prenatal care without having parental consent, under the law.

T.J. Cosgrove, a representative of the King County Health Department, told KOMO that it's "always best if parents are involved in their children's health care, but they don't always have a say."

"At any age in the state of Washington, an individual can consent to a termination of pregnancy," said Cosgrove.

A representative of the Swedish Medical Center, which runs the clinic at Ballard High, referred ABCNews.com to the King County Health Department but did confirm that Swedish runs the clinic where the abortion was said to be arranged.

The mother told KOMO that she is speaking out so that other parents will become aware of the services that are provided at high school health clinics.

On a MySpace page that appears to belong to the mother, a status message apparently referring to KOMO-TV's coverage of her daughters abortion, reads, "komonews.com front page story! I'm shouting a top my soapbox of justice and human/parental rights!" ABC News could not independently confirm who wrote the post.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/teen-abortion-high-school/story?id=10189694

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
Re: Teen Gets Abortion With Help of Her Seattle High School
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:37:59 PM »
this is another example of fucked up liberal bull shit,   a young girl can get an abortion without her parents even knowing,  but a kid with asthma cant even have a fucking inhalor at school without parental consent and it has to be kept in the nurses office after filling out a mound of paper work from dr. and parents,  fucking idiots

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
School Abortion
March 24, 2010 - 4:46 PM | by: Dan Springer

The mother of a 15-year old Seattle girl is furious because her daughter had an abortion with some assistance from the nurses at her school and she was never informed. She only found out after the fact when her daughter had an unrelated health problem and finally revealed she had terminated a pregnancy.

The girl attends Ballard High School in Seattle which has a teen health clinic inside. The clinic is run by Swedish Medical Center and administered by the King County Health Department.

According to the girl's mother, who did not want to give her name, her daughter was given a pregnancy test at the school clinic which was positive. She was then told by the nurse that she could have an abortion at a nearby Planned Parenthood clinic without her parents' knowledge.

The girl was then called a taxi, which picked her up at the school and drove her by herself to Planned Parenthood. The mother says once at the clinic a Planned Parenthood worker discouraged her daughter from informing her parents. She claims the worker told her that if she kept quiet the procedure would be free, but if she told her parents they would have to pay for the abortion.

The mother acknowledges she signed a consent form at the beginning of the school year giving the school permission to administer health care off campus. She assumed that meant in cases of emergency. Nowhere on the form is abortion mentioned.

A King County Health official would not speak about any of the details surrounding the case, but did say that no laws were broken. In Washington State a girl of any age can get an abortion without her parent's being notified. It's one of 15 states without either parental consent or parental notification laws.

The county health official also says that schools routinely send kids in taxis when they're taken off campus for medical procedures.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/03/24/school-abortion/

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
State law wasn't violated.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »
Thats damn dispecable that a person under the age of 18 can get an abortion and her parents not be told about it...

This is a medical procedure, how can someone perform a medical procedure on a minor without consent from their guardian?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »
Thats damn dispecable that a person under the age of 18 can get an abortion and her parents not be told about it...

This is a medical procedure, how can someone perform a medical procedure on a minor without consent from their guardian?

So you're against states having the right to decide things?

This is a case where no law was broken. It literally shouldn't have even made the news other than advancing someone's political agenda.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:40:13 PM »
IDK where I would draw the line, but a 15 yr old is more than competent to make this decision on her own and should not have to get the consent of parents.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »

This is a case where no law was broken. It literally shouldn't have even made the news other than advancing someone's political agenda.

I agree in part.  Yes states should have the right to decide this kind of thing and the majority of states require parental notification.  But there should not be some kind of clandestine operation that misleads the parents.  And Planned Parenthood?   ::)  Basically bribed the kid.  They are an abortion mill. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »
I agree in part.  Yes states should have the right to decide this kind of thing and the majority of states require parental notification.  But there should not be some kind of clandestine operation that misleads the parents.  And Planned Parenthood?   ::)  Basically bribed the kid.  They are an abortion mill. 

Evidently her state is not one of those that require parental consent.

Personally, I think that if a teen doesn't require parental consent to get pregnant in the first place,
then they should not be required to have parental consent to terminate that pregnancy.

There does not appear to be a clandestine operation. The teen was the patient, not her parents.
It's as drkaje says... no laws were broken, and this sh/wouldn't be a story if not for someone's personal political agenda. There is also the issue of privacy, and clearly this parent has no respect for her daughter's right to privacy. I wonder how she'd feel if she came down with a wicked case of syphilis or gonorrhea, and her daughter shouted it from the mountaintops that her mom had the clap. It would serve her right.  >:(
w

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 07:28:58 PM »
its kinda hard to get parent consent when the lil fuckers sneak out and lie about where they are,   the parents should deffinently know if the girl has an abortion, maybe then she would have to be accountable and have to tell her parents she was sneaking around lieing

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 07:40:59 PM »
this girls parent also pay for the funding for planned parenthood and tax money goes to the schools ,  the parents have every right to have notification and give consent.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 07:55:34 PM »
this girls parent also pay for the funding for planned parenthood and tax money goes to the schools ,  the parents have every right to have notification and give consent.

By that reasoning, every taxpayer out there has a say in it.  I think she's old enough to make the decision on her own.

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:44 PM »
she didnt pop out of every tax payers vagina,  but her moms so couple that with the fact that her mom pays taxes she should have the say so over her kid, not the school or planned crook parenthood

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
she didnt pop out of every tax payers vagina,  but her moms so couple that with the fact that her mom pays taxes she should have the say so over her kid, not the school or planned crook parenthood

Neither the school nor planned parenthood is exercising any "say" over the girl.  They are merely providing her with the means to do with her body as she pleases.  And at 15, she's old enough to make that judgement.

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 08:11:38 PM »
at 15 she is not legaly accountable , her parents are,  planned parenthood should not be allowed to do it without consent,  the school should have to notify the parents,  i mean if it is anything else they are required to notify parents  fighting, drugs, skipping, vandalism, failing grades, ect.   this is no diff

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 08:16:09 PM »
at 15 she is not legaly accountable , her parents are,  planned parenthood should not be allowed to do it without consent,  the school should have to notify the parents,  i mean if it is anything else they are required to notify parents  fighting, drugs, skipping, vandalism, failing grades, ect.   this is no diff

Legal accountability is neither here nor there, she hasn't broken any laws or done anything illegal.  She's making a choice about her own body.

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
she is allowing a proceedure that her mother should have been notified about,  its not up to the school or planned parenthood to make that call , nor should it have been on school time, learning should be going on during this time,  if the mother wanted the daughter out of school then she could take her out, but she wasnt even giving the option cause she didnt know,  this is wrong.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »
she is allowing a proceedure that her mother should have been notified about,  its not up to the school or planned parenthood to make that call , nor should it have been on school time, learning should be going on during this time,  if the mother wanted the daughter out of school then she could take her out, but she wasnt even giving the option cause she didnt know,  this is wrong.

The school and planned parenthood did not make the call, the 15 yr old did.  And I see no reason why she shouldn't have that right with her own body.  She allowed a procedure to be done on her own body, and she's old enough to make that decision.

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:17 PM »
i have a kid that works for me that wants to work more but is told he cant leave school except for certain hours, and he has to get permission from a parent,  but this lil bitch can be shuttled off in secret with no consent from a parent  so she can have an abortion  behind her moms back  .  do you really not see the major issues in this story?  where is the accountability, ? how is this lil girl ever going to learn any better if she can just sneak off behind her moms back with support from the school and planned parenthood and get it taken care of?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:40 PM »

its also law that a person is a minor until the age of 18...Im not against states having the right to decide things.

She is legally a minor she cant get a tattoo or buy alcohol but she can have an abortion without consent?  ::)

if she legally cant be held accountable as an adult under the law for her actions than she should have to have parental consent or at the very minimum parental notification

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:35 PM »
man i hope you have a daughter  thats all i have to say

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 08:34:16 PM »
Evidently her state is not one of those that require parental consent.

Personally, I think that if a teen doesn't require parental consent to get pregnant in the first place,
then they should not be required to have parental consent to terminate that pregnancy.

There does not appear to be a clandestine operation. The teen was the patient, not her parents.
It's as drkaje says... no laws were broken, and this sh/wouldn't be a story if not for someone's personal political agenda. There is also the issue of privacy, and clearly this parent has no respect for her daughter's right to privacy. I wonder how she'd feel if she came down with a wicked case of syphilis or gonorrhea, and her daughter shouted it from the mountaintops that her mom had the clap. It would serve her right.  >:(
Id expect nothing less from you  ::) The dont need parental consent to do a lot of things that there parents are informed of if they fuk up on...

slavery didnt break the law at one time so I guess it was ok then right?  ::) the law isnt always just and whats just isnt always the law...take into account your double standards on abortions and men and women  ::)

Apparently her parents didnt like the fact that their underage child had a medical procedure without their knowledge...lets see are there any other medical procedures that are allowed on minors without their gaurdians approval? hmmmm

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 08:35:58 PM »
man i hope you have a daughter  thats all i have to say

I have 2 daughters, both older than this girl.  Amazingly, they're not out committing crimes, doing drugs, or anything else.  The real issue seems to be that you don't think a 15 year old can consent to a procedure on her own body and I do.

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
well maybe cause you raised 2 girls the right way it sounds like,   but unfortunatly some are dumb ass fucking shit,  and if your dumb enough to get preg at 15  your not smart enough to make a proper choice for a med proceedure,  all the more reason the mother shoulda been told

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »

I have 2 daughters, both older than this girl.  Amazingly, they're not out committing crimes, doing drugs, or anything else.  The real issue seems to be that you don't think a 15 year old can consent to a procedure on her own body and I do.
do you think that they should be able to go get tit jobs at 15 without parental consent? how about lipsuction?

any other medical procedure?