Author Topic: Instinctive training principle  (Read 1850 times)

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
Instinctive training principle
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »
I know there has to be a scientific approach towards workouts,but does it necessarily mean that the body should adapt to it?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Instinctive training principle
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »
I don't think so.
That would be like expecting everyone to “adapt” to the point that they all get the same results from the same exercise selection & set/rep scheme.
We know that’s not true because body transformation is much more individualistic for that.
If it weren't, then we could all follow Jay Cutler's regimen to the "t" and look just like Jay.

There are general ideas that apply to most people – at least enough to qualify as generalized statements.
But as far as what works best for you…

You need a starting point - a foundational understanding of what different exercises & protocols do, as well as how & why they work.
Now you have an inventory of things to try using in order to achieve your goals.
Experience will teach you which ones work best for you.

Doesn't make much sense to keep using exercises or rep ranges, etc. that work only a small fraction as well as others.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »
I used to go by the burn and pump, used to think it's all about the feel. It's not true. If you want size and strength, it's progressive resistence. You can have a good workout with little pump and with the feeling like you could of done more work, as long as the bar is getting heavier.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »
Answer to vic86's question: Yes.  Stay on a program for 6 to 8 weeks. The first couple of weeks are usually a breaking in period. Than, is the body adapting to the program, rather than should the body be adapting to the program, is the question. If after 6 weeks, nothing amazing is happening, than recheck the program and how you are doing it. Hopefully not adding your own tweaks to it.

If everything checks out OK in that regard, than might want to check out another type of program that can better the gains you want. 8 weeks if the program seems to be working for you. Longer, by a couple more weeks, it it fulfills all you wanted in a workout plan. 12 weeks may be the max you want to stay on any serious program. Always can go back to it after awhile.  Good Luck.
F

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
Weider's Instinctive Training (or the In Case I Forgot Anything Or If Something New Comes Along I Still Want Credit Principle) is kinda silly.

Man instinctually avoids discomfort. His desire for coital relations, however, supersedes this at times. Joe'd be wise to rename this the Pussy Principle.    

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
Try a more "scientific" approach, just for the hell of it.

Get a daily planner and keep track of your progress. If you want to bring some 'science' into your workouts, read a little Mentzer, Jones, Little and Hatfield.

Get a calculator too...

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:25:21 AM »
I know there has to be a scientific approach towards workouts,but does it necessarily mean that the body should adapt to it?
if you walk in the gym and you feel like doing legs......do em......if you like the way squats pump your legs....do em

if you do three sets and decide to move on to leg press.....proceed on to leg press.....training is individual

in my opinion, the pump is imperative......you need to push more and more blood into the muscles.

if an exercise that is deemed the end all be all......doesn't work for you.....dump and go to one that does give you the positive effect you are looking for.

train for you and only you....keep your body off guard though.....keep the muscles confused.....and make sure you listen to what messages your body is sending you.