Author Topic: Trying to regain lost muscle...  (Read 5349 times)

dammitman

• Getbig II
Trying to regain lost muscle...
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:57:54 AM »
Natural lifter here...about 5'10", currently weighing a measly 175.  Very lean now tho.  I like being lean, but I think I'd be happier gettin back up to the weight I was about 6 months ago.  I weighed about 190 then....not quite as lean but definitely bigger with some abs visible.  I normally train by instinct...but I feel it's causing me to slack and the intensity has dropped...and I've lost some noticeable strength.  Obviously, I'm pretty unhappy about that.  So does anyone have any good ideas on gaining back that lost mass?  I've recently started creatine again...got some tribulus and dhea (which I've never tried, but I'm 30 now and I know my test levels aren't what they used to be so I decided to see what it does)...and of course I've got the protein shakes/amino acids/glutamine supply, and some nitric oxide.  My appetite hasn't been what it used to be...and I was sick about 2 weeks ago with strep throat and I dropped about 5-6 lbs in a week and it hasn't come back yet. 

Is it true that when you're trying to regain lost muscle it comes back quicker than adding new muscle?  I'm hopin to be at least 10 lbs heavier in a few weeks.  I'm naturally a lean guy, so I'm not worried about gettin fat...just wantin to get back some of my mass again.  Any advice would be appreciated!
Everyone is fair game.

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Re: Trying to regain lost muscle...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
The short answer is shut up and lift..

You mention intensity.  One thing i've been doing is lets say im doing 4 sets of 10 or 12 reps for an exercise.  If I start slacking on that last set I usually make a decision to either cheat the last few reps or i'll stop after 6 or 8 reps and take some breaths and knock out the remainder.  Before I might have just quit

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »
1.) You have to consistently eat more than what you are maintaining at 175. Try 300 - 500 calories extra daily. You must eat more, all the supps and exercises won't make you bigger until you satisfy this.

2.)  Focus on the squat and deadlift. Hit it hard at least once per week, but you don't need a lot of volume. The big lifts stimulate natural test and gh. Cut out most of the little exercises and save your recovery reserves.

3.) You must add weight to your lifts. You can't continually build muscle with the same weight. Try adding 5 - 10 lbs per week on the big movements when you get at least 10 reps.

4.) Don't worry about some fat gain, it's inevitable. I'm not saying to become a fat ass, but now is not the time to be concerned, it will stall your gains if causes you to violate #1.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »
"Natural lifter?"

What does that mean? Do you have an automatic handicap? Why do you have to mention that? You either lift or you don't.

You weigh 175. So? How tall are you?

Why would you be happier being heavier? Does your self-perception and self esteem come and go with your bodyweight?

Glutamine, Creatine, NO2, DHEA, tirribulus = $$$$$$ + more $$$$$$$ + more $$$$$$$$

You plan on gaining 10lbs. of solid muscle mass in TWO WEEKS??? (Naturally??) ha ha!

Dude, step back, sit down, take a deep breath. Save your fu#king money! You mention "happiness" a couple of times. Are you really serious about training? If you are, just get to the gym and set up a consistent routine. Keep a daily workout record of your progress and your plan of attack. If you have been training "instinctively" for so long, keeping track will give you a fresh perspective on things.

I would NOT spend all that money on supplements. If you are curious about your "Test" levels, go to your doc and get some lab work done and find out.

You say you are naturally lean, but then you use the word "mass"...

I think your expectations are too high. I think your goals are too confusing. It sounds like you are not feeling well mentally and physically and that you are looking for solutions to your problems. I don't think the answers lie inside of 10 lbs. of 'overnight' muscle mass.

Someone mentioned K.I.S.S. the other day. I think this would be a start in the right direction. Good luck to you man!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:37:26 PM »
You said that you are a lot leaner now and you dropped 15lbs, how much muscle do you think you actually lost? Maybe like 5lbs? And yes it is easier to regain muscle and strength than it is to progress to a level you have never been at before.

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:44:51 PM »
You'll regain it easy as pie with just eating more and doing what you currently do. Oh and stay healthy, that helps.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 08:36:50 AM »
There is a well founded theory that the body will revert back "near" to it's former stage of prime development rather quickly. All thing being equal, that is. Planned workouts, recovery and nourishment applied. This can be called Muscle Memory, among other titles. As suggest, the word "near" is included, because you will not quite be on the same level as before. That may take a little longer. This is referring to muscle mass. If you have become the Philsbury dough boy, your going to have a longer battle on your hands. Damitman seems not to have this concern. He will have an easier time of it.

Really no need to over eat. BB'ing nutrition is an understood science now-a-days. Eat normal portions (quality foods) and do add (as you are) a couple hi-protein shakes between meals.  Do not chug-a-lug them down, but take time to sip them. You want around 400 to 500 extra quality calories per day over the normal daily active body maintaining needs. Varies with each of us, though the mean average is around 2,6000 calories in a 24 hour period. Want more calories than add sunflower, peanut, safflower, olive oils, etc. A few tablespoon fulls a day can make a big difference in boosting up the good calories. Four tablespoon will be around 500 extra calories.

Creatine has show many times over the ability to increase strength  and add muscle mass.. Problem for a lot of people is that, even if using the best grade stuff, it may cause stomach and bowel trouble. Creatine also will tend to hold extra water in the cells, which can give a bloated and smooth muscle appearance. Our football players use it with very good results. Also can be used for muscle recovery. Helpful as an added supplement for older people and the aging process.

Take it slow when beginning to workout with serious intent. Should be back in your normal workout groove fairly quickly. Hold it down to 3 times a week, as a rebreaking in period, for awhile.  Muscle mass will be encouraged to return and should with a good planned workout(s). Good Luck.
F

dammitman

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:10:39 PM »
thanx for the advice guys!  

Been in the gym goin harder than before...feels great!  I've been lifting so long I think I just got too routine with my lifts, slacked off and just "coasted" thru my workouts...kinda lost that passion for lifting hard.  That combined with being sick and not eating like I used to contributed to losin some mass.  Just after the 2 weeks I've been goin hard again I can tell the muscles are fuller and rounder and since I'm a bit leaner the pumps are more pronounced.  I've already gained back about 5 lbs, but I think that's just the weight gain rebound from being sick a few weeks ago.  I'm definitely goin back to squats n deadlifts again...I used to be very strict on doin them.  It's amazing how much strength you can lose in those lifts if you're not consistent.  Oh well...i'll get it back in time.

Dyslexic...thanx for ur input.  No disrespect, but I think u misread some of my post.  I wasn't looking to gain 10 lbs of "solid muscle mass" in two weeks...i've been in the game long enough to know better.  I just said I'd like to be 10 lbs heavier in a few weeks (which could mean 3-4 weeks...very possible).  I stated my height in my post.  Also, no need to see a doc to know that my test levels aren't what they were 5 years ago, or even 3 years ago.  It's a natural fact...your testosterone levels drop when u hit ur 30s.  Everyone knows you won't gain muscle naturally in your 30's as easily as you would in your late teens or early 20's.  I've experienced this personally.  My happiness doesn't revolve around my weight...but every gym rat likes to feel bigger and stronger, and when both of these things decline...well, you wanna try and fix it.

Can't really tell you why I mentioned I was a natural lifter, lol.  Pride, maybe?  Been doin it for over 10 years now...went from 120 to up to 198 at my heaviest over those 10 years and stayed pretty lean the whole time.  I have nothing against steroids...I know that it still takes a whole lot of work to have a quality physique even while on gear.  But my take is this:  if you do use steroids, you better have something to show for it.  In other words, don't look like crap.  It's pretty sad to see some dude, especially a young one, get all juiced up and not look better than an average weightlifter.

Anyway...thanx for the advice everyone.  Just needed a good push to get fired up and motivated again.  
Everyone is fair game.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 05:19:59 PM »
"Dammitman"

I like to post just before I go to bed, so you have to sift through and probably overlook a lot of what I say. I think even when I am sleepy, I can still offer something of value when it comes to bodybuilding and nutrition.

I probably misread a lot of your post, but my intentions aren't malicious. I have a tendency to speak exactly what is crossing my mind at the time.

I also like to challenge people to think and to challenge me to do the same. Good luck to you man. On this board I think JPM has the most consistency when it comes to valuable information (without the attitude)

So, in retrospect I still say save your $$$$$ on the supps. Maybe Creatine, but even as JPM said, you may not see the ripped muscle as opposed to the smoother muscle.

I do believe in "muscle memory" especially if the original gains were "solid" to begin with. If you are a "natty" (lol)- then chances are you will gain it right back. I've done this before many times. Sometimes life gets in the way of my muscle and I have to back off for a time.

There have been scientific studies and biopsies done on steroid-gained muscle and natural muscle. They found that the fiber and tissue vs. water content was different. The steroid induced muscle had a more "mushy" content, was NOT considered to be solid, and was easily lost during steroid cessation.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »
lift the weight till it hurts....then do some more till you throw up....then do a few more till you pass out........that how i lifted after my coma...worked great...

...i usually just stop before i pass out..

bench

dammitman

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »
Thanx dyslexic...no big deal lol.  Just didn't want to be misunderstood in my post.  thanx for ur input tho bro!

Bench...it's been awhile since i've puked after a workout...I think it was a leg day lol.   Maybe I need to have a few more of those workouts...

Everyone is fair game.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 03:52:06 PM »
Eat more and train your legs.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
Thanx dyslexic...no big deal lol.  Just didn't want to be misunderstood in my post.  thanx for ur input tho bro!

Bench...it's been awhile since i've puked after a workout...I think it was a leg day lol.   Maybe I need to have a few more of those workouts...

every workout should be like that...

bench

dammitman

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »
thanx Hulk...yeah I'm definitely gonna put more energy into my legs....I think I could have some great ones if I trained em as hard as I do back or shoulders.

Yep Bench...every workout SHOULD be like that...time for me to man up and do it.
Everyone is fair game.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »
thanx Hulk...yeah I'm definitely gonna put more energy into my legs....I think I could have some great ones if I trained em as hard as I do back or shoulders.

Yep Bench...every workout SHOULD be like that...time for me to man up and do it.
i passed out while doing chest,shoulders,and tri's today......epic!!!

bench

David M

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »
in the time it took you to write out that long ass post, you could have trained back.
Team MEL

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 11:51:22 PM »
in the time it took you to write out that long ass post, you could have trained back.

I actually post up between sets...