Author Topic: If none of the protein powders are regulated by the FDA  (Read 5736 times)

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
If none of the protein powders are regulated by the FDA
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »
Then how do you tell one is better than another?  How do you tell that the "stuff at walmart is crap" vs the GNC or independent stores?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: If none of the protein powders are regulated by the FDA
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:39:21 PM »
flavour, gastrointestinal effect, effect on energy levels during digestion....

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 06:35:55 AM »
Simple - don't go for any of the blended crap - just order some pure whey isolate, which is usually 90%+ protein. Then you've got whey concentrate, which is about 82% protein. That's also acceptable. Anything else below that is not really worth buying.

What you don't want to do is buy something that is a mix of the two, and/or blended in with carbs - there's no point to it - the fewer ingredients the better IMO.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Simple - don't go for any of the blended crap - just order some pure whey isolate, which is usually 90%+ protein. Then you've got whey concentrate, which is about 82% protein. That's also acceptable. Anything else below that is not really worth buying.

What you don't want to do is buy something that is a mix of the two, and/or blended in with carbs - there's no point to it - the fewer ingredients the better IMO.

Why wouldn't you want to get a blend?  Is it a price issue or do you see a problem with the protein it self by having micellar, casein, ect?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:15:39 PM »
Why wouldn't you want to get a blend?  Is it a price issue or do you see a problem with the protein it self by having micellar, casein, ect?

i just get the basic EAS stuff... cheap and effective... no digestive issues...

it's half the price of isolate...

Gavin Laird

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:21:37 AM »
Protein content per 100g, lactose / carb level, BCAA content etc should clue you in. Basically just read the label :)

Anything over 72% protein (as is, not dry basis) will probably be decent. This would correlate with using an 80% or higher concentrate (dry basis) which is a decent product imho.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »
BigJ pretty much hit the nail on the head. Might want to keep to the simple stuff first and see how that works for you. . But BCAA thrown in may give a better boost.

Guy's I have worked out with in the past have used powdered egg whites, even liquid forms. Amino acids (complete) in pill of liquid  also. Been told ten years ago that enzymes were going to be the next big thing in BB'ing.  Made sense in a way. Old school BB'ers took liver tabs, powder or liquid, which also included members of the vitamin B family. Vitamin B's tend to speed healing,recovery and growth in tissue.

Can anyone verify that there are only 3 or 4 chemical protein engineering plants in America (including vitamin products). All those dozens of protein brands company's  buy from them and paste their own labels on the products.  Read that a while back. But the Asia and Mexico supply is increasing here ( like blow).

Personal view; steak (or higher quality hamburger) and eggs can be one of the better combo's for muscle building. Good Luck.
F

El Chapo

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • The Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »
i use the eas walmart stuff works wonderes

-El Chapo

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:11:38 AM »

Personal view; steak (or higher quality hamburger) and eggs can be one of the better combo's for muscle building. Good Luck.

agreed. Real food is the foundation for growth

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
Old school BB'ers took liver tabs, powder or liquid, which also included members of the vitamin B family. Vitamin B's tend to speed healing,recovery and growth in tissue.

Can anyone verify that there are only 3 or 4 chemical protein engineering plants in America (including vitamin products). All those dozens of protein brands company's  buy from them and paste their own labels on the products.  Read that a while back. But the Asia and Mexico supply is increasing here ( like blow).

Utah is supposed to manufacture roughly a quarter of all U.S. dietary supplements.

I agree with the benefits of liver-based B vitamins from experience.
I also agree that food is still the best “product” to consume for size & strength gains.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:36:43 AM »
Why would anyone want the government to regulate the protein and supplement industry anyway? They are anxious enough that they are making moves towards controlling the vitamin market now. Can see the day when people will need a doctors OK to buy and use any supplements. Higher taxes will increase on all supplements, like on the tobacco industry. Once pot is legal, watch the 100% tax increase on that herbal product. Not about peoples health, but the money gained, through taxes, by the government.  Excuse me, that was my" Coaches" moment. Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 10:34:11 AM »
They’re trying (and have been trying for some time) to do this.
Every now & then some senator or other politician barks about regulatory b.s. that often culminates with the idea that people will need a Rx to buy Vit-C.

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 04:20:24 AM »
Then how do you tell one is better than another?  How do you tell that the "stuff at walmart is crap" vs the GNC or independent stores?

You can't really, just because a protein powder doesn't have you in the bathroom for the 2010 shit olympics doesn't mean that it's a quality product. The older i get i'm starting to stay clear of protein shakes and using a lot more whole food.

erokyrwrld

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 09:24:04 AM »
Right.  No one really knows what's in these protein powders, only what the label says.  For me, my choice is combination of price, flavor, and stomach discomfort.  Allthewhey's whey isolate (espresso, vanilla caramel) is my choice.  A little more expensive, but easy on the gut and tastes great.