Author Topic: Does U.S. Need To Split Along Political Lines?  (Read 3368 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Does U.S. Need To Split Along Political Lines?
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:56:03 AM »
By WALTER WILLIAMS
Posted 04/05/2010 06:55 PM ET

www.investors.com

________________________ ___________________

Ten years ago I asked the following question in a column titled "It's Time To Part Company":

"If one group of people prefers government control and management of people's lives and another prefers liberty and a desire to be left alone, should they be required to fight, antagonize one another, risk bloodshed and loss of life in order to impose their preferences or should they be able to peaceably part company and go their separate ways?"

The problem that our nation faces is very much like a marriage where one partner has broken, and has no intention of keeping, the marital vows. Of course, the marriage can remain intact and one party tries to impose his will on the other and engage in the deviousness of one-upmanship. Rather than submission by one party or domestic violence, a more peaceable alternative is separation.

I believe we are nearing a point where there are enough irreconcilable differences between those Americans who want to control other Americans and those Americans who want to be left alone that separation is the only peaceable alternative. Just as in a marriage, where vows are broken, our human rights protections guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution have been grossly violated by a government instituted to protect them.

The Democrat-controlled Washington is simply an escalation of a process that has been in full stride for at least two decades. There is no evidence that Americans who are responsible for and support constitutional abrogation have any intention of mending their ways.

You say, "Williams, what do you mean by constitutional abrogation?" Let's look at just some of the magnitude of the violations.

Article I, Section 8 of our Constitution lists the activities for which Congress is authorized to tax and spend. Nowhere on that list is authority for Congress to tax and spend for: prescription drugs, Social Security, public education, farm subsidies, bank and business bailouts, food stamps and other activities that represent roughly two-thirds of the federal budget.

Neither is there authority for congressional mandates to the states and people about how they may use their land, the speed at which they can drive, whether a library has wheelchair ramps and the gallons of water used per toilet flush.

The list of congressional violations of both the letter and spirit of the Constitution is virtually without end. Our derelict Supreme Court has given Congress sanction to do anything upon which they can muster a majority vote.

James Madison, the acknowledged father of the Constitution, explained in Federalist Paper No. 45: "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce.

"The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives and liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement and prosperity of the State."

Americans who wish to live free have several options. We can submit to those who have constitutional contempt and want to run our lives. We can resist, fight and risk bloodshed and death in an attempt to force America's tyrants to respect our liberties and human rights. We can seek a peaceful resolution of our irreconcilable differences by separating.

Some independence movements, such as our 1776 war with England and our 1861 War Between the States, have been violent, but they need not be. In 1905, Norway seceded from Sweden; Panama seceded from Columbia (1903), and West Virginia from Virginia (1863). Nonetheless, violent secession can lead to great friendships. England is probably our greatest ally.

The bottom-line question for all of us is: Should we part company or continue trying to forcibly impose our wills on one another? My preference is a restoration of the constitutional values of limited government that made us a great nation.

________________________ ________________________ __

I have advocated this for a long time.  Dr. Williams is a very smart man. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Does U.S. Need To Split Along Political Lines?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:58:45 AM »
Im not freaking moving.So,if Indiana goes lib,Im staying right the fuck here.I already moved from lIberal CT. to get away from the freaks.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 08:08:47 AM »
The Red States would be broke as a joke.
I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 08:10:35 AM »
The Red States would be broke as a joke.

Right, cause CA, NY, MI, IL are all in great shape?   ::)  ::)  ::)

CA alone has $500 BILLION in unfunded debt obligations it has no way to pay for. 

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »
Right, cause CA, NY, MI, IL are all in great shape?   ::)  ::)  ::)

CA alone has $500 BILLION in unfunded debt obligations it has no way to pay for. 
Name one Red State that has a viable, intact and flourishing economy?
I Love The True Adon

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »
By WALTER WILLIAMS
Posted 04/05/2010 06:55 PM ET

www.investors.com

________________________ ___________________

I have advocated this for a long time.  Dr. Williams is a very smart man. 

you already live in a world you've made up in your own head so why don't you just imagine this has already happened

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »
you already live in a world you've made up in your own head so why don't you just imagine this has already happened

Because next week, the favorite week for liberals like yourself, I am reminded that my make believe libertarian world does not exist and is instead in actuality a tax greedy mess that will never have enough money to satisfy the desires and whims of greedy non-taxpayers who want free shit. 

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:18:08 AM »
Texas.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:20:59 AM »
Texas.
ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:22:22 AM »
Using that farce as support for an argument than you yourself cant make = FAIL.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 08:23:30 AM »

TEXAS!Name on lib state thats doing well.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 08:24:15 AM »
Texas.
Why is Texas ranked 48th in Literacy?
I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 08:25:26 AM »
California is just great! 
________________________ ________________________ ____________________

State's pension liability tops $500 billion, Stanford study finds
April 6, 2010 | Lance Williams

In post-recession, post-stimulus-program America, we’ve gotten used to some frighteningly big numbers being thrown around in the discussion of public finance.

Nevertheless, it was difficult not to be alarmed at the bottom line in a study of California's pension obligations conducted by Stanford graduate students and touted Monday by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The study concluded that the state’s unfunded pension liability has topped half a trillion dollars – six times the present state budget.

Put another way, future California taxpayers are going to be on the hook for more than $500 billion simply to make up the difference between the pensions we’ve promised to today's state workers and the money we’ve invested to pay for them.

That’s tax money that will have to be shelled out before a nickel is spent on the public services of the future.

The study was the work of the Stanford Institute for Economic Research. It was supervised by former Assembly Democrat Joe Nation, who represented Marin and Sonoma counties from 2000 to 2006 and who has run unsuccessfully for Congress and, most recently, the state Senate.

Today, Nation is a public policy instructor at Stanford.

The research project sought to put a realistic dollar figure on the state’s pension liability, which ballooned during the market turndown that drove the recession.

The study contends that the California Public Employees' Retirement System, California State Teachers' Retirement System and the University of California retirement system are understating the burden facing future taxpayers. That’s because the rules by which they calculate pension liabilities are unreasonably optimistic, the study says.

When using a more realistic set of assumptions about the size of the state’s obligations and the return the pension funds are likely to get on their investments, the study comes up with a grim fiscal scenario.
As of July, 2008 – before the worst part of the stock market slump – the state’s pension funds were reporting an unfunded liability of $55.4 billion.

Actually, the study contends, the funds already were running in the red by about $425 billion.

Tack on the $109.7 billion that the California funds reportedly lost when the market carnage was at its worst, and “we estimate the current shortfall at more than half a trillion dollars,” the students write.

To recover their fiscal health, the state pension funds need to be more consistent and prudent in making per-employee contributions, the study claims. That means putting in even more money.

The funds also must seek out less volatile investments, the study urges. Finally, it recommends cutting benefits for future state workers – and converting from a fixed-benefit plan to a hybrid-style pension system that is partly a 401(k)-style investment account.

CalPERS didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The governor has been trying for months to get the Legislature to bear down on what he calls “our staggering pension debt.” It’s an extraordinarily difficult political problem, made worse by the budget crisis and by the disagreement over just how bad the pension problem really is. Still, it’s an issue he says he wants to address before leaving office.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »

Why does it have a good economy and have zero problem attracting companies to go there.Lets see would I want a state where the litteracy rate is high,but has no jobs,huge taxes and idiotic regulation?Or a state where I can get a good paying job and the government leaves me alone?HMMMMMM,I will have to think about that.

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 08:28:30 AM »
Jez, why did you link some rant of Olbermann about why Texas shouldn't secede? This has nothing to do with the question you asked.

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:05 AM »

We aren't discussing literacy.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 08:30:04 AM »
Jez, why did you link some rant of Olbermann about why Texas shouldn't secede? This has nothing to do with the question you asked.
Because its amusing.  I am all for you guys moving to Texas and seceding.  Don`t let the door hit you on the way out!
I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 08:30:40 AM »
Michigan is just great TA!   ::)  ::)  ::)
________________________ _____________________

State has $50 billion in unfunded pension, healthcare obligations

By Ed Brayton 2/18/10 9:37 AM   The Pew Center on the States released a report that should be terrifying to taxpayers and particularly to public employees. The state of Michigan has $50 billion in unfunded pension and healthcare obligations for retirees, the bulk of it being a shortfall in money available to pay for future healthcare. The Detroit Free Press reports:

Michigan taxpayers are on the hook for more than $50 billion in unfunded pension and retiree health care for future public sector retirees, according to a new report on state retirement systems from the Pew Center on the States…

Michigan’s pension systems, which include state employees and school teachers, have $70.4 billion in anticipated payouts to current and future retirees.

About $11.5 billion of that is unfunded, according to Pew. Michigan’s pension funds actually compare favorably to most other states, funded at an 84% level, above the national average and the 80% level recommended by experts, Pew said.

The picture for retiree health care is bleaker. Pew pegs Michigan’s liability for health care and other non-pension benefits (such as life insurance) at $40.7 billion, with only a small fraction (1.9%) currently funded. Only California, New York, New Jersey and Illinois have larger gaps.

The Michigan constitution forbids those benefits from being lowered after the fact, which means that when the bill comes due the only option is to raise taxes on current workers to pay for the benefits of retired workers. The only other option is a significant reduction in benefits now, which is what is currently happening.

Part of Gov. Granholm’s proposed budget for next year is a call for an end to vision and dental insurance for retired state employees.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »
Because its amusing.  I am all for you guys moving to Texas and seceding.  Don`t let the door hit you on the way out!

You live in fucking Canada.Worry about that pile of shit idiot.

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 08:31:47 AM »

You quoted my answer with a LMAO and put up that link. Texas has a strong economy...fine we can move on.

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »
Michigan is just great TA!   ::)  ::)  ::)
________________________ _____________________

State has $50 billion in unfunded pension, healthcare obligations

By Ed Brayton 2/18/10 9:37 AM   The Pew Center on the States released a report that should be terrifying to taxpayers and particularly to public employees. The state of Michigan has $50 billion in unfunded pension and healthcare obligations for retirees, the bulk of it being a shortfall in money available to pay for future healthcare. The Detroit Free Press reports:

Michigan taxpayers are on the hook for more than $50 billion in unfunded pension and retiree health care for future public sector retirees, according to a new report on state retirement systems from the Pew Center on the States…

Michigan’s pension systems, which include state employees and school teachers, have $70.4 billion in anticipated payouts to current and future retirees.

About $11.5 billion of that is unfunded, according to Pew. Michigan’s pension funds actually compare favorably to most other states, funded at an 84% level, above the national average and the 80% level recommended by experts, Pew said.

The picture for retiree health care is bleaker. Pew pegs Michigan’s liability for health care and other non-pension benefits (such as life insurance) at $40.7 billion, with only a small fraction (1.9%) currently funded. Only California, New York, New Jersey and Illinois have larger gaps.

The Michigan constitution forbids those benefits from being lowered after the fact, which means that when the bill comes due the only option is to raise taxes on current workers to pay for the benefits of retired workers. The only other option is a significant reduction in benefits now, which is what is currently happening.

Part of Gov. Granholm’s proposed budget for next year is a call for an end to vision and dental insurance for retired state employees.

Sarah Palin`s Alaska still reigns as the KING of Debt.

Is that state included in the Teabaggers wet Dream of Secession also, or are you going to convince them to abandoned the ice for Mexicas I mean Texas.
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 08:33:49 AM »
You live in fucking Canada.Worry about that pile of shit idiot.
I live in NC, the newest BLUE STATE on the block.
I Love The True Adon

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 08:38:20 AM »
You quoted my answer with a LMAO and put up that link. Texas has a strong economy...fine we can move on.
Why are you not in Texas right now?  Just where exactly do you live and why?
I Love The True Adon

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »
I live in NC, the newest BLUE STATE on the block.

Its all the moron libs from ny and nj fleeing high taxes and are soon going to ruin your state the same way they did mine.  Just wait till you see what happenes to NC after the liberal scum from NY get through with NC. 

JohnC1908

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 08:45:20 AM »
Why are you not in Texas right now?  Just where exactly do you live and why?

I live in Florida...love the weather here. I'm not in love with Texas...I was simply answering your question.