Author Topic: Calvin and Hobbes on WAR  (Read 3343 times)

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Re: Calvin and Hobbes on WAR
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
I'm guessing your taking a 12 yr olds argument in that just because a person can "survive" under the boot of a brutal dictator, it means war is not necessary.  The reality is, either defend your way of life or lose it.
Yes because Switzerland and Sweden are under the rule of Brutal Dictators.   ::)
I Love The True Adon

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 03:32:57 PM »
Yes because Switzerland and Sweden are under the rule of Brutal Dictators.   ::)

Hahaha...you're citing examples of countries that helped the dictator.  Idiot.  How about Poland?  Greece?  China?  Holland?  Latvia?

Especially Poland.  Trying to work with the Nazi's worked out real good for them, eh?

You have something above a middle-school argument?

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 03:35:48 PM »
Hahaha...you're citing examples of countries that helped the dictator.  Idiot.  How about Poland?  Greece?  China?  Holland?  Latvia?

Especially Poland.  Trying to work with the Nazi's worked out real good for them, eh?

You have something above a middle-school argument?
Uh,

Sweden and Switzerland have been neutral and have not partaken in any War or Conflict of any kind whatsoever in 200 years.
I Love The True Adon

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »
Uh,

Sweden and Switzerland have been neutral and have not partaken in any War or Conflict of any kind whatsoever in 200 years.

Neutral?  Sweden provided them with raw materials and Switzerland helped finance the war.  Keep dreaming.

What should Poland have done?  Accepted the blitzkrieg?  Rolled over and lived under a Nazi dictatorship.  Afterall, according to your grade school argument, they would still be surviving.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 05:52:30 PM »
1. Really?  If you knew that I  wouldn`t retaliate you would take from me?  Thats not very moral of you.    I would not engage in that behavior at all towards you because of reciprocal altruism and because I know how you would feel if I did and I do not want you feel that way as I care how you would feel.  My mirror Neurons and Frontal Lobes allow Forethought and Empathy.   I am sorry that the only thing stopping you from robbing and stealing by force is fear of retaliation.

2. Nobody is suggesting that there will be a complete (all or nothing) elimination of violence or conflict, only that it has dramatically lessened by magnitudes of 10 many, many times globally which indicates that Violence and War is NOT necessary whatsoever as a prerequisite for the continuation of our species.  If it were necessary and futile to prevent, we would not have such a decreasing trend against violence.  The instances of War, Violence and Conflict would remain steady or increase or would have increased.  That is NOT what has happened.  In fact, the less war, conflict and violence the greater the propagation of our species.   Obviously this is true for the entire history of our Human Species.  

3. War is not necessary for human survival whatsoever.  It does not make sense to suggest otherwise as there is no basis for this claim.
1. doesnt change the fact of anything...if anything again you are bolstering my argument unless everyone thinks, acts, reacts, feels the same there will always be conflict and always be war...again many ppl argue that there is no true altruistic act...so you opposing my view is in fact conflict  ;) Im sorry you yourself are an example of why conflict and war will never be eliminated...

2. there are many reasons for the lessening of violence over the course of time...but there has always been violenc and war and will always be violence and war. Its a noble cause for sure and one I think is worth of effort but not of ignorance in thinking that we can eliminate war....The lesseining of violence doesnt bolster your argument it simply shows that you can lessen violence, show me one period when violence hasnt existed or when war hasnt existed...there isnt one 

yes you can lessen the frequency of war but you cannot eliminate it.

3. you see you seem to wrongly think that war is different than conflict....explain to me how its different

you cannot eliminate conflict and conflict is a necessary part of human life..war is simply conflict on a bigger scale so ill let you finish my thought

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
Its a fact of life and part of human nature...deal with it and STFU please  ::)

Would you apply the same set of standards to gang violence in poor neighbourhoods?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »
War is a necessary evil. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »
That's not  very Christian like Beach.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 11:02:49 AM »
'War is a necessary evil.  '

Yes and no.

Man will always do it.  doesn't mean it's right.

Wars are necessary these days to maintain our standard of living.  Iraq wasn't trying to take our freedoms - they were trying to devalue our currency by selling oil in euros ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 11:05:30 AM »
That's not  very Christian like Beach.

You people kill me.   :)  No pun intended. 

Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran . . . bomb bomb bomb . . . .

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »
Would you apply the same set of standards to gang violence in poor neighbourhoods?
you mean the part in this thread where I said it was a noble and worthy cause that should be undertaken but with the understanding that you can't eliminate conflict, violence and war? Why yes I would ::)