Author Topic: What do you think is the difference between Schwarzenegger's lifts and  (Read 2001 times)

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Joe Smoe gym guy up to the almost pro people?  You can talk about gear and genetics but thats not really what i'm looking for.  I'm looking for anything I could mimic.  I'm looking more for the psychological and technique he had. 

I'll start.  I know he absolutely loves being in the gym and loves "the pump".  I also see in his lifts that he loves intensity.  When I walk into the gym and its full I see a sea of smoes and then like 5 guys that are there to take care of business.  Everyone else is kind of ho humming the weights around, not pushing anything to the limit, spending a lot of time on vanity lifts.  Then those guys who are serious have the game face you see Schwarzenegger have when he does flys. 

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
It is a belief in yourself that cannot be swayed. It say's this: "I can accomplish whatever it is in life that I want"- I want it, I will have it.

It takes an above average perception of yourself in regards to self-esteem and ability. It takes supreme confidence in one's self. It takes total assurance in the fact that whatever your mind can conceive, your body can achieve.

You don't find many people in this life that come close to this type of reality. Hence, his fame,fortune and ubiquitious name.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
youve just got to load it up and lift. like nike, just do it. "aint nuthin to it but to do it"-ronnie coleman

but seriously.. strength is all psychological.. intensity is key..  think of the weight as a hunk of mass and know that doing repititions with that hunk of mass will result in your muscles growing larger, fuller, harder..

whats the difference between sandra on monday when she is in the gym doing 10lb alternating dumbell curls and sandra on friday when she picks up a volkswagon parked on her 8 month old's baby carriage...  ???  its not something physical, not what she ate that day.. its  all mental...   TAP INTO THAT SHIT BRO!!!!!!!

for real though,
-cheesemeister

saopl

• Getbig III
people just don't push themselves to their limits, i see this in the gym day in and day out.. now i'm not bashing twinks, if most they can rep is 135 then power to them.. it's all about how you work with the weight.. go heavy or go home.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
...go heavy or go home.

If anyone at my gym followed that advice, the place would be empty.

wild willie

• Getbig V
Arnold had many training partners, namely Platz, Zane, Franco and Waller..... Many of these fellas have talked about their training experiences with Arnie.

Mostly he trained with moderate weight and moderately high reps......he was a powerlifter in Austria and Germany, but in the USA, he was taught by Vince Gironda to focus on feeling the muscle work and concentrate on conditioning.

He did train calves rather heavy, but other exercises were performed with moderate poundage. Squats with 315-405.....bench 275-315 and flat flyes with 60 pound dumbbells.

Ric Drasin, who created the Gold's Gym logo, trained with Arnold and said he was a feel type trainer, Ric went on to say he never saw Arnold go heavier than 55lbs on db curls.......BUT......HOW MANY GUYS TRAINED WITH HEAVIER DBS AND HAD NOWHERE NEAR THE ARM DEVELOPMENT OF Arnie.

Zane said that he and Arnie had great workouts, very focused but rarely went to failure......Platz said Arnie would crack jokes and have fun during rest periods, but when he commenced a set, he was focused.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
I know Arnie and Corney sure squatted to all hell in "Pumping Iron"...but you get the impression that was a one-time thing. They were not squatting "heavy" by today's standards, but they were squatting intensely enough to make you puke.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
My two uncles watched (in person) Arnold train with Franco and a British BB'er. Arnold would started off a set (for example benches) followed by Franco and than the British guy. Soon as the British gentleman finished a set Arnold would take over, again followed by the others. All used the same moderate weight for each set. No adding or taking off any plates.Probably around 10 sets or so and never to a point of failure. Always wanted a fast pace. It's was  Arnold and Franco and some other BB'er the third man. Waller was included in some of those workouts I believe.

Most of the time the uncles watched Arnold and Franco SS benches and BB rows, which seemed very popular with them. Both used the same moderate weight without ever going to complete failure. Somewhat a motto back than was "more blood, more muscle". So the pump and moderate weights were the thing back in the day. Just to add, they both seemed to spend  time on regular BB curls for biceps.  Good Luck.
F

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
My two uncles watched (in person) Arnold train with Franco and a British BB'er. Arnold would started off a set (for example benches) followed by Franco and than the British guy. Soon as the British gentleman finished a set Arnold would take over, again followed by the others. All used the same moderate weight for each set. No adding or taking off any plates.Probably around 10 sets or so and never to a point of failure. Always wanted a fast pace. It's was  Arnold and Franco and some other BB'er the third man. Waller was included in some of those workouts I believe.

Most of the time the uncles watched Arnold and Franco SS benches and BB rows, which seemed very popular with them. Both used the same moderate weight without ever going to complete failure. Somewhat a motto back than was "more blood, more muscle". So the pump and moderate weights were the thing back in the day. Just to add, they both seemed to spend  time on regular BB curls for biceps.  Good Luck.

this is very interesting.  seems like moderate weights with more volume is the key to training.  I think even Ronnie said this a few times (do not be fooled by the vids where he lifts heavy as hell).

its also how arnie was able to train chest 3 times a week...
you are gay.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Arnold did have something quite unique to say about "the pump..." ha ha  ;D