Author Topic: Welfare pays more than work.  (Read 1701 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Welfare pays more than work.
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »
Cato Policy Report, November/December 1995

Welfare Pays Better Than Work, Study Finds
$36,000 a Year in Hawaii

Welfare benefits are far more generous than commonly thought and substantially exceed the amount a recipient could earn in an entry-level job. As a result, recipients are likely to choose welfare over work, increasing long-term dependence. Those are the principal findings in "The Work vs. Welfare Trade-Off" (Policy Analysis no. 240) by Michael Tanner, director of health and welfare studies; Stephen Moore, director of fiscal policy studies; and David Hartman, CEO of Hartland Bank in Austin, Texas. The paper was released at the height of the welfare debate in Congress.

The study examines the combined value of benefits--including Aid to Families with Dependent Children, food stamps, Medicaid, and others--for a typical welfare recipient in each of the 50 states. The value of those tax-free benefits is then compared with the amount of take-home income a worker would have left after paying taxes on an equivalent pretax income. The following are among the study's findings.

* To match the value of welfare benefits, a mother with two children would have to earn as much as $36,400 in Hawaii or as little as $11,500 in Mississippi.

* In New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Alaska, and Rhode Island, welfare pays more than a $12.00-an-hour job--or more than two and a half times the minimum wage.

* In 40 states welfare pays more than an $8.00-an-hour job. In 17 states the welfare package is more generous than a $10.00-an-hour job.

* Welfare benefits are especially generous in large cities. Welfare provides the equivalent of an hourly pretax wage of $14.75 in New York City, $12.45 in Philadelphia, $11.35 in Baltimore, and $10.90 in Detroit.

* In 9 states welfare pays more than the average first-year salary for a teacher. In 29 states it pays more than the average starting salary for a secretary. In 47 states welfare pays more than a janitor earns. Indeed, in the 6 most generous states, benefits exceed the entry-level salary for a computer programmer.

The authors conclude that if Congress or state governments are serious about reducing welfare dependence and rewarding work, the most promising reform is to cut benefit levels substantially.

The study has been the subject of major news coverage. In a September 28 Wall Street Journal guest column, Tanner and Moore wrote, "The welfare reform proposals just passed by the Senate, and the earlier House version, are designed to reduce 'hard-core' welfare dependency and reward work. But we believe the most critical public policy implication of our findings is that ultimately these goals can be accomplished only by cutting benefit levels substantially. Unless and until this is done, Congress will have failed to end welfare as we know it."

Hourly Wage Equivalent of Welfare

Hawaii $17.50
Alaska  15.48
Massachusetts 14.66
Connecticut 14.23
Washington, D.C. 13.99
New York 13.13
New Jersey 12.74
Rhode Island  12.55
California 11.59
Virginia 11.11
Maryland 10.96
New Hampshire 10.96
Maine 10.38
Delaware 10.34
Colorado 10.05
Vermont 10.05
Minnesota 10.00
Washington 9.95
Nevada 9.71
Utah 9.57
Michigan 9.47
Pennsylvania 9.47
Illinois 9.33
Wisconsin 9.33
Oregon 9.23
Wyoming 9.18
Indiana 9.13
Iowa 9.13
New Mexico 8.94
Florida 8.75
Idaho 8.65
Oklahoma 8.51
Kansas 8.46
North Dakota 8.46
Georgia 8.37
Ohio 8.37
South Dakata 8.32
Louisana 8.17
Kentucky 8.08
North Carolina 8.08
Montana 7.84
South Carolina 7.79
Nebraska 7.64
Texas 7.31
West Virginia 7.31
Missouri 7.16
Arizona 6.78
Tennessee 6.59
Arkansas 6.35
Alabama 6.25
Mississippi 5.53

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Welfare pays more than work.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »
I always have a hard time balancing the welfare issue.  If we pay them too little, I think it just forces them to stay on because they're just barely eeking out a living.  Pay too much, and I think they have little motivation to get off. 

I'm not really sure where to draw the line.  Maybe pay them high, but reduce the amount of time they can be on?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 06:11:45 PM »
Some counties also give them cell phones with 76 min/month so scheduling appointments is easier!! :)

newmom

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
If Im not mistaken, in CT cash benefits are only good for 2.5 years, but they always let people extend

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »
Some counties also give them cell phones with 76 min/month so scheduling appointments is easier!! :)

:o

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:18:19 PM »
If Im not mistaken, in CT cash benefits are only good for 2.5 years, but they always let people extend

I dont know but I would be ok with work fare.  You need assistance, fine, but you are going to work and do menial crap so that getting a regular job is better.  

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
:o

It's true, LOL!

I'll bet that study doesn't include no deductible health insurance for families, school lunch, before/after school programs and so on. :)

newmom

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »
I dont know but I would be ok with work fare.  You need assistance, fine, but you are going to work and do menial crap so that getting a regular job is better.  

Oh you wont get an arguement out of me..I agree assistance is fine, but community service is a MUST

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 06:34:09 PM »
It's true, LOL!

I'll bet that study doesn't include no deductible health insurance for families, school lunch, before/after school programs and so on. :)

Who comes up with this stuff?   ???  Geeze Louise. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
Who comes up with this stuff?   ???  Geeze Louise. 

"What about the children?!!" :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 07:09:37 PM »
"What about the children?!!" :)

Yeah.  The children would be better off if mommy or daddy got a job. 

newmom

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 01:37:29 AM »
I will say this. Yes better we have a job as parents, HOWEVER, it's not easy out there. Took me 5 months to find a job. I collected the full amount under CT statutes which was more than enough because I live rent and mortgage free and had no car payment up until last week so I was good. No clue how people make it that dont have unemployment. But 36k in ct isnt bad for not working

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 04:48:50 AM »
people on welfare should be required to serve in the armed forces

1 yr for ever yr on welfare unless you r handicapped

the end
carpe` vaginum!

newmom

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 05:05:13 AM »
Toxic, that would make sense but if your a single parent, with no family, not sure if that would be a great idea, lets say if you go to war. Maybe they could work on a base or something along that lines. Clean up the highways, parks etc....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 05:06:59 AM »
Toxic, that would make sense but if your a single parent, with no family, not sure if that would be a great idea, lets say if you go to war. Maybe they could work on a base or something along that lines. Clean up the highways, parks etc....

They should be required to do something. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 06:24:19 AM »
require drug AND alcohol testing!

newmom

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
require drug AND alcohol testing!

Great idea, but the costs are probably to high for both testing

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 11:18:16 AM »
Great idea, but the costs are probably to high for both testing

If I were home collecting checks watching a flat screen all day, I would be poppin 40's too.   ;D

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
Yeah.  The children would be better off if mommy or daddy got a job. 

Do the math..... then edit your post, LOL!

Most people on welfare would never make as much real money working 9-5 once all the benefits are taken into consideration.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »
Do the math..... then edit your post, LOL!

Most people on welfare would never make as much real money working 9-5 once all the benefits are taken into consideration.
which is the problem why get off when you have more when youre getting govt assistance?

sorry bro you can prevent pregnancy these days, we actually know what causes this. Its not anybody elses fault or problem they are in the situation they are in. Some assitance is needed and deserved as they are part of our community and their welfare is tied in with our own but that doesnt mean we should pay for them to live.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »
which is the problem why get off when you have more when youre getting govt assistance?

sorry bro you can prevent pregnancy these days, we actually know what causes this. Its not anybody elses fault or problem they are in the situation they are in. Some assitance is needed and deserved as they are part of our community and their welfare is tied in with our own but that doesnt mean we should pay for them to live.

Why would someone not get pregnant when there's free money to be had, FFS!?? :)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
If a company can afford to make me pee in a cup and test it, so can the Federal fukken Government.
And if I have to be drug tested to earn it, they should be drug tested to steal receive it from me.

I have also stated in past posts on here that some type of community service should be mandatory – no matter how modest.
Everyone can do something.

My biggest point is that the govt. needs to stop rewarding these people for screwing.
They get an SSI check for every kid they have, and many make a career out of it.
How about help with the first two...
After that, you’re on your own!

This welfare shit is so far out of hand, it’s sickening.
So, now we have healthcare reform that will cost us how much more money – when instead, we could have had welfare reform to save us money.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »
Why would someone not get pregnant when there's free money to be had, FFS!?? :)
thats the point im making, lower the amount of assistance and there will be more incentive to stay off and get off of it...FFS  ;)

make ppl more accountable for their actions and they will in turn think about their decisions more before making them...as of right now we are trying to help limit accountability to the acting party instead shifting responsibility to 3rd parties...eliminate the 3rd parties assistance and the acting party wont have the crutch to lean on and hopefully will not make the stupid decisions they have been.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »
Welfare was started with good intentions, but has evolved into a rewards system for slacking & mooching.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 04:26:57 PM »
thats the point im making, lower the amount of assistance and there will be more incentive to stay off and get off of it...FFS  ;)

make ppl more accountable for their actions and they will in turn think about their decisions more before making them...as of right now we are trying to help limit accountability to the acting party instead shifting responsibility to 3rd parties...eliminate the 3rd parties assistance and the acting party wont have the crutch to lean on and hopefully will not make the stupid decisions they have been.

Welfare is not designed to help poor people. It's supposed to keep them from getting so poor that working people become endangered and we need a police state. Just think of it as enlightened self-interest. :)