Author Topic: Amend the Constitution Regarding Citizenship  (Read 22402 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Amend the Constitution Regarding Citizenship
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
Sorry, Republicans: Ending Birthright Citizenship Would Be Unconstitutional
The very amendment that conservatives want to "fix" stands as a shield against government-sanctioned discrimination.
Cristian Farias
Legal Affairs Writer, The Huffington Post
Posted: 08/19/2015

CREDIT: AP PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAYWORTH

Key figures in the crowded Republican field have spoken loud and clear about their desire to do away with birthright citizenship for the children of immigrants.

Donald Trump went a step further Tuesday when he said in a CNN interview that children born to immigrants under the present constitutional order "do not have American citizenship."

In other words, the citizenship they were born with is invalid, a notion Trump said he'd be willing to "test out" in a court of law.

But one needs not go that far.

It turns out that the very idea of amending the Constitution to end birthright citizenship for the children of immigrants -- a move that squarely targets Latinos -- would probably be found unconstitutional. The same would be true for a Republican-backed bill with a similar goal that's pending in Congress.

The reason these proposals would be found unconstitutional is rooted in the very thing Republicans are attacking: the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Because for all the provisions and principles that the 14th Amendment stands for -- and birthright citizenship is only one of them -- one of the amendment's cornerstones is its promise of equal treatment for everyone.

"No State shall ... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws," says the last part of Section 1 of the amendment, also known as the Equal Protection Clause. The Supreme Court has ruled that the clause applies to states and the federal government alike.

Over the years, the clause has been read broadly to mean that no government entity can pass a law that singles out or discriminates against anyone on the basis of their race, national origin or other protected characteristic. It generally means that no official action can treat people differently because of who they are.

That is the principle the Supreme Court has upheld in a number of historic rulings -- from Brown v. Board of Education in 1954 to Obergefell v. Hodges, June's historic gay marriage case.

In the latter, the court applied the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause to invalidate a number of state bans on same-sex marriage, which the court found denied gay couples' right to "equal dignity in the eyes of the law." That is, those bans put them on unequal footing with everyone else.

This concept covers Latinos, too. The Supreme Court long ago ruled that equal protection of the laws applies fully to them -- in a little-known case that, as history would have it, was decided mere days before the landmark Brown ruling. The court has also ruled that equal protection applies to undocumented immigrants.

As a result of this and other precedents, federal courts can and will scrutinize any law or ordinance specifically targeting Latinos. And judges will be punishing in their review, applying a stiff constitutional test known as "strict scrutiny."

"Strict scrutiny, like a Civil War stomach wound, is generally fatal," wrote Supreme Court reporter Adam Liptak in a recent New York Times article. The specifics are complex, but all that basically means is that most discriminatory laws will simply fail under the test.

So if any of the GOP proposals to strip immigrant children of birthright citizenship make it into law, it won't be long before they are challenged in court and, ultimately, found unconstitutional.

Lawsuits under the 14th Amendment can be messy, and one would hope that anti-immigrant sentiment never reaches a point that federal courts have to get involved. But if past cases have taught us anything, we can rest assured that the judiciary won't let the likes of Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) run roughshod over the Constitution with ideas that purport to fix it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republicans-birthright-citizenship_55d4934be4b07addcb44c96a?kvcommref=mostpopular

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2015, 04:17:46 PM »
this is fair on paper, but will never happen.  You're going to deport a 17 year old kid who was born here, knows the language, and is ready to attend college?

Trump says he will.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2015, 04:05:13 PM »
Good man.

Cruz 'absolutely' backs ending birthright citizenship
By Jordain Carney
August 19, 2015

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said Wednesday that he "absolutely" supports ending birthright citizenship, suggesting that has been his position for years.

"Absolutely. We should end granting automatic birthright citizenship to the children of those who are here illegally," Cruz, who is running for president, said during an interview with the Michael Medved Show. "That has been my position from the very first day of my running for the Senate."

Cruz's comments come after Donald Trump's immigration policy proposal has sparked a debate among Republican presidential candidates and forced the issue into the media spotlight. The plan, released by Trump on Sunday, called for building a wall along the southern border and changing the 14th Amendment to end so-called guaranteed citizenship to those born inside the United States.

Cruz, who has repeatedly praised Trump throughout his presidential campaign, said Wednesday that the businessman and 2016 frontrunner is "forcing the mainstream media to talk about issues they don't want to talk about."

But the Texas Republican, who was himself born in Canada, also sought to galvanize off of Trump's plan, saying that he has offered "virtually every element" in legislation and that he "led the fight against amnesty" in the Senate.

"Jeff and I have fought for many of these legislative proposals side by side," Cruz added, referring to Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), whom Trump consulted on his immigration proposal.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/251502-cruz-absolutely-backs-ending-birthright-citizenship

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2015, 11:55:55 PM »
Good man.

Cruz 'absolutely' backs ending birthright citizenship

If Twump implodes, Cruz grabs all those votes.   He's playing the waiting game.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 01:15:02 PM »
I hope President Trump resurrects this issue. 

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2017, 06:06:06 AM »
This is where I draw the fucking line. Being born in this country, regardless of circumstances, is what grants you the rights we all enjoy.

If we allow politicians to define what a citizen is, what will come next NEITHER democrats NOR republicans will like.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2017, 06:25:35 AM »
I'm Canadian, but a couple of my nephews & nieces (from one sister) became U.S. citizens by naturalization ... and another couple of my nephews & nieces (from another sister) became U.S. citizens by birth but gave it up.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2017, 07:21:28 AM »
I'm Canadian, but a couple of my nephews & nieces (from one sister) became U.S. citizens by naturalization ... and another couple of my nephews & nieces (from another sister) became U.S. citizens by birth but gave it up.

You know what irks me to no end? That all these conservatives that seem to so be so Godly concerned about principles and values and all that fake bullshit posturing, spend no time working against the rights of individuals. ALL laws in the US are based on the individual, not a group or groups. If you came out of your mom's glory hole in the US, you're an American, regardless of whether your parents are illegal, tall, right-handed, blue-eyed, bald or Nicaraguan.

As a country, our entire existence in this country stems from one of the most heinous acts of genocide known to man kind, and our lax immigration policies somehow made up for the crime. We're now at a point of devolution, acting as if Sitting Bull were Irish and Pocahontas was from some shitty town in the outskirts of London.

Our laws are turning into utter SHIT. The state now has the power over you and I. Abortion will soon be illegal, and very few people will notice that we just gave the power to a state entity that does not allow our raped daughters to seek an abortion and then electrocute the woman because she killed the rapist. It makes no fucking sense.

Who is doing this?????!!!

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »
When?
a

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2017, 06:49:50 PM »
I know this will never happen, but I wish we could amend the Constitution to say that you are a citizen by birth only if both of your parents are legal citizens at the time of your birth.  Would probably help with illegal immigration. 

You have NO clue how many people fly in "on vacation" to have their kid born here then fly home once the kid is now an official American citizen..

crazy rule

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »
You have NO clue how many people fly in "on vacation" to have their kid born here then fly home once the kid is now an official American citizen..

crazy rule

Not for nothing but... if you come here to give birth, I know of no foreign social security program that will fund that. And we all know what a hospital bed goes for these days.

To give birth here on purpose you have to have deep pockets. And if you have money, there is a loophole that will give you an automatic green card for bringing x amount of money into the country. Meaning you buy your way into citizenship.

Obviously poor immigrants are not part of that group.

gothorium

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2017, 12:40:59 AM »
I know this will never happen, but I wish we could amend the Constitution to say that you are a citizen by birth only if both of your parents are legal citizens at the time of your birth.  Would probably help with illegal immigration. 

it already says that

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2017, 05:54:29 PM »
This is where I draw the fucking line. Being born in this country, regardless of circumstances, is what grants you the rights we all enjoy.

If we allow politicians to define what a citizen is, what will come next NEITHER democrats NOR republicans will like.

If you're born in this country by parents who are also citizens, then yes that person should get all of the rights citizens enjoy.  But anchor babies?  Shouldn't happen.  This is one instance where I agree with what the rest of the world is doing. 

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
If you're born in this country by parents who are also citizens, then yes that person should get all of the rights citizens enjoy.  But anchor babies?  Shouldn't happen.  This is one instance where I agree with what the rest of the world is doing.

By this line of logic the descendants of the folks that came here and settled in Jamestown (VA) or Plymouth (MA) should have their citizenship revoked because their predecessors settled this country illegally and took part in one of the worst acts of genocide in the history of humanity (decimation of the Native American population).

It all seems to stop only when it comes to Mexicans and Muslims.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »
I really like your posts, Slapper.  Some of the top ones I've read on these boards are from you.

But here's something for you to think about.

By this line of logic the descendants of the folks that came here and settled in Jamestown (VA) or Plymouth (MA) should have their citizenship revoked because their predecessors settled this country illegally and took part in one of the worst acts of genocide in the history of humanity (decimation of the Native American population).

No, because logic says America couldn't continue to exist if they'd done that.

So, being that the primary interest is the continued existence of America: How can we allow it any longer, in a time when we so desperately require fewer people?

Furthermore, unlike the power plays against our rights as Americans, this is something that involves non-Americans who come here to give birth.  And it doesn't at all require "deep pockets" as you say, as shown by the countless millions entering from the south.  So how do you justify your stand?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2017, 10:54:04 PM »
The Bruce Springsteen song, (although I don't much care for rock and roll) "Born in the USA" is more than a song title.  It involves concepts that are important to many citizens...no I would not change the constitution in this respect...

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2017, 01:21:24 AM »

What about someone like Ted Cruz?

Not born in this country. Father wasn't a citizen.

What do we do with people like that?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2017, 12:27:55 PM »

Talking about settlers who came here in 1607, 410 years ago, before the Constitution was even ratified in 1788, is not logical.

Our sordid history when it comes to indigenous people doesn't change the analysis either.  This has nothing to do with Mexicans and Muslims.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »
What about someone like Ted Cruz?

Not born in this country. Father wasn't a citizen.

What do we do with people like that?

Cruz's mother was an American citizen when Ted was born.  The children of American citizens should be American citizens. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »
The Bruce Springsteen song, (although I don't much care for rock and roll) "Born in the USA" is more than a song title.  It involves concepts that are important to many citizens...no I would not change the constitution in this respect...

Not sure I catch your meaning, having just read the lyrics.

Are you referring to the title alone?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »
Cruz's mother was an American citizen when Ted was born.  The children of American citizens should be American citizens. 

Are you referring to both parents being citizens or 1 out of 2 parents is sufficient in your opinion? Based on your previous post I assumed you meant born in the US and both parents being US citizens:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2017, 04:09:59 PM »
Are you referring to both parents being citizens or 1 out of 2 parents is sufficient in your opinion? Based on your previous post I assumed you meant born in the US and both parents being US citizens:

I'm ok with one parent being a citizen.  Doesn't matter where the child of an American citizen is born. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2018, 04:38:18 PM »
Someone with the stones to say it. 

Trump Blasts U.S. Anchor Baby Policy: ‘You’re Violating Something Very Sacred, You’re Violating a Border’
by JOHN BINDER
6 Apr 2018

President Trump blasted the United States’ birthright citizenship policy whereby the U.S.-born children of illegal aliens are given automatic American citizenship, noting that illegal aliens are “violating a border.”

During a roundtable discussion in West Virginia, Trump slammed the birthright citizenship policy — illegal aliens’ children are commonly referred to as “anchor babies” — noting that fellow Western nations do not have such a policy.

Trump said:

If you have a baby on our land, congratulations. That baby is a United States citizen. We’re the only one. Now Mexico has very tough policies. They can do whatever they want, which is the way it should be. You’re violating something very sacred. You’re violating a border. [Emphasis added]

As Breitbart News reported, there are 4.5 million anchor babies in the U.S. under the age of 18-years-old. This estimate does not include the potentially millions of anchor babies who are older than 18-years-old.

The 4.5 million anchor babies estimate exceeds the four million American children born every year. In the next decade, the CBO estimates that there will be at least another 600,000 anchor babies born in the U.S., which would put the anchor baby population on track to exceed annual American births — should the U.S. birth rate not increase — by more than one million anchor babies.

The birthright citizenship debate was not always partisan, as it currently is, with establishment Republicans and Democrats supporting anchor babies.

Former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) once opposed birthright citizenship, saying in 1993 that “no sane country” would reward illegal aliens with U.S. citizenship for their children.

Proponents of birthright citizenship often claim the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution requires the policy. The Supreme Court, however, has never explicitly ruled that the children of illegal aliens must be granted automatic citizenship and many legal scholars dispute the idea.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/04/06/trump-blasts-u-s-anchor-baby-policy-youre-violating-something-very-sacred-youre-violating-a-border/

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2018, 05:20:30 PM »
Anchor babies has never made sense to me.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »
From above:

As Breitbart News reported, there are 4.5 million anchor babies in the U.S. under the age of 18-years-old. This estimate does not include the potentially millions of anchor babies who are older than 18-years-old.

The 4.5 million anchor babies estimate exceeds the four million American children born every year. In the next decade, the CBO estimates that there will be at least another 600,000 anchor babies born in the U.S., which would put the anchor baby population on track to exceed annual American births — should the U.S. birth rate not increase — by more than one million anchor babies.

This is happening at a time when technology and automation lowers need for population growth, to the point it screams a loud warning for reversal.

One of the first places leading that trend of technology and automation, happens to be the USA.

Don't let the ones engineering the mass migration tell you it's 'cause their hearts are just so kind.  That's if you can identify those individuals to begin with.  (They're the billionaires hiding behind the crowd of stupidity - tough to find them, though, because they spend so much time enjoying their estates, far away from us... but also on private islands... when not aboard their luxury yachts, of course... ya know, just the usual.)

No.  They don't care about any of us.  It's a lie - an evil lie.  They're setting us up for widepread disaster, and they know it.  They are waging war against us, and doing it the only way known to work when sharply outnumbered: through deception.

That's the real story.