Author Topic: BJ Penn Tells an Interesting Story About Dana White  (Read 2523 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
BJ Penn Tells an Interesting Story About Dana White
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
"K-1 was offering me $187,500 per fight - five times what the UFC was offering - and I was still willing to stay with them for one-third of that amount. This was when the relationship took a turn for the worse, and my view of White changed drastically. From that point on, I knew when it came to money, we couldn't trust him to treat us right. Did I like him at the dinner table? Sure. But at the negotiating table? Not at all. The pressure to perform and safeguard other people's money had changed him, even though he was constantly bragging to anyone willing to listen about how 'big this thing was going to be.' Things between us would never be the same.

When it was finally official I was going to fight in Japan, White called me up and told me his true feelings. 'You guy! You're fucking done! You'll never fight in the UFC again! You're finished. You're scorched earth, guy. Scorched earth. Don't call me crying saying you want to come back because you're fucking done!' And on and on and on, like a true professional - even going so far as to tell me I would never see my face again in a UFC video, promotion, or anything else. He also planned on removing my fight with Hughes from the UFC 46 DVD so no one would even know who I was. 'It doesn't have to be this way,' I told him. 'You know it wouldn't take that much to make this work.' But he just kept yelling."

BJ Penn, discussing Dana White's reaction to his decision to leave the UFC after defeating Matt Hughes at UFC 46.  This is from BJ Penn's new book.
w

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Re: BJ Penn Tells an Interesting Story About Dana White
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »
sounds like a cool guy to work for....
DAWG

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »
I've worked for someone just like that in the past.  It was a freaking nightmare.
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »
sounds like a cool guy to work for....

Must have been cool enough....Ultimately BJ came back :o

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »
Must have been cool enough....Ultimately BJ came back :o
This.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:07:25 AM »
I've worked for someone just like that in the past.  It was a freaking nightmare.

Yep! working for a control freak like that right now (CEO)

Let's just say I'm the infrastructure key holder from top to bottom, and pretty soon I'm turning in those keys. I find it amazing how a person can be so blinded by ego. I can't even keep staff here b/c they can't deal with his ego fits. They've already abandoned ship. Like Dana, he feels it's their loss..etc, but when I drop the leg on his neck maybe it will sink in ;)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • NO SUCH AGENCY
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:14:01 AM »
Are you hiring?

I have epic people skills and a little bit of MMA knowledge.  ;D

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:19:56 AM »
Are you hiring?

I have epic people skills and a little bit of MMA knowledge.  ;D

LOL...to be honest..yes I am looking.

Looking to hire and also looking to roll out myself. ;)

It's to the point where me bringing somebody in here is a complete waste (they'll quit after they see how things work here no matter how I sugar coat it, try to inform them, keep them in the loop...etc). Nothing works, so it's a strain on me all over again.

I can't tell you how this guys actually thinks he's liked and damn near everybody here hates his guts. LMAO. It's amazing really.

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:40:19 AM »
Pimpin aint all it's crack up to be :D

But yeah it's funny how some ppl think. It gets to a point where there is no common sense, it's not good for anyone, the company is losing money. But all the strategies are old inflexable and never gonna change lol.... So Down we go every one!

Thats why I run my own show I'd rather compeat with clowns than join the circus ;)
P