Author Topic: Species Nutrition the subject of personal injury claim  (Read 3350 times)

IronMagazine.com

• Getbig IV
  • IronMag Bodybuilding Blog Online Since 2001
Species Nutrition the subject of personal injury claim
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
by Anthony Roberts

Dave Palumbo claims on his Species Nutrition website that “Over the years, I’ve been asked countless times, “When are you going to start your own supplement company,” and my answer has always been the same: “When I have an original idea!” Well, for one, I’m still waiting to hear what the original idea is, because every ingredient in every Species Nutrition product has existed on the market previously. Unfortunately, the only unique – though not original – ingredient in the entire product line is Usnic Acid.

Usnic Acid was in several products a few years ago, until every company in the field dropped it for being incredibly unsafe.

The following letter was sent to Bodybuilding.com by Pirrotti Law Firm, LLC, claiming personal injury to Maria Bezrodnaya as a result of using the Species Nutrition products, Lipolyze and/or Somalyze (photo of Maria Bezrodnaya added):

September 4th 2009
    Re: Maria Bezrodnaya
    Product: Species – Lipolyze & Somalize
    Order number: 6287745
    Order Date: 4/5/09

Dear Madam/Sir
    Please be advised that we have been retained by Maria Bezrodnaya to prosecute a claim for personal injury sustained by her as a result of her ingesting the Species Evolutionary Nutrition Dietary Supplement “Lipolyze” and/or “Somalyze” beginning on April 8th 2009, which she purchased from bodybuilding.com on April 5th 2009.

Please have your insurance company and/or representative contact this firm within five days from the date of this letter in order to obviate the necessity of litigation at this time.
    Thank you for your courtesy.

Very truly yours,
    Anthony Pirrotti, jr

This letter has been received by Bodybuilding.com as well as Dave Palumbo, the owner of Species Nutrition. Usnic Acid, an ingredient in both Lipolyze and Somalize has been linked in numerous published medical articles to liver failure, although Palumbo continues to deny the link, most

recently in his column in Muscle Insider, where he claimed his product(s) are safe. Personally, I’m offended at the idea of Dave claiming his products are safe, both in print and online, while simultaneously knowing that one of his customers is claiming to have been injured by them.

The woman who has claimed injuries is a competitor in the International Natural Bodybuilding and Fitness Federation (INBF, the amateur affiliate of the WNBF), and I’m awaiting a friend confirmation from her on Facebook, so I can investigate this incident further.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/supplements/108735-species-nutrition-subject-personal-injury-claim-species-nutrition-subject.html

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
Re: Species Nutrition the subject of personal injury claim
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:07:44 PM »
Such an interesting topic, what an englightening experience to the soul  ::)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »
People fucking sue for everything.  Another ambulance chasing lawyer trying to build a case out of nothing.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:20:23 PM »
by Anthony Roberts

Dave Palumbo claims on his Species Nutrition website that “Over the years, I’ve been asked countless times, “When are you going to start your own supplement company,” and my answer has always been the same: “When I have an original idea!” Well, for one, I’m still waiting to hear what the original idea is, because every ingredient in every Species Nutrition product has existed on the market previously. Unfortunately, the only unique – though not original – ingredient in the entire product line is Usnic Acid.

Usnic Acid was in several products a few years ago, until every company in the field dropped it for being incredibly unsafe.

The following letter was sent to Bodybuilding.com by Pirrotti Law Firm, LLC, claiming personal injury to Maria Bezrodnaya as a result of using the Species Nutrition products, Lipolyze and/or Somalyze (photo of Maria Bezrodnaya added):

September 4th 2009
    Re: Maria Bezrodnaya
    Product: Species – Lipolyze & Somalize
    Order number: 6287745
    Order Date: 4/5/09

Dear Madam/Sir
    Please be advised that we have been retained by Maria Bezrodnaya to prosecute a claim for personal injury sustained by her as a result of her ingesting the Species Evolutionary Nutrition Dietary Supplement “Lipolyze” and/or “Somalyze” beginning on April 8th 2009, which she purchased from bodybuilding.com on April 5th 2009.

Please have your insurance company and/or representative contact this firm within five days from the date of this letter in order to obviate the necessity of litigation at this time.
    Thank you for your courtesy.

Very truly yours,
    Anthony Pirrotti, jr

This letter has been received by Bodybuilding.com as well as Dave Palumbo, the owner of Species Nutrition. Usnic Acid, an ingredient in both Lipolyze and Somalize has been linked in numerous published medical articles to liver failure, although Palumbo continues to deny the link, most

recently in his column in Muscle Insider, where he claimed his product(s) are safe. Personally, I’m offended at the idea of Dave claiming his products are safe, both in print and online, while simultaneously knowing that one of his customers is claiming to have been injured by them.

The woman who has claimed injuries is a competitor in the International Natural Bodybuilding and Fitness Federation (INBF, the amateur affiliate of the WNBF), and I’m awaiting a friend confirmation from her on Facebook, so I can investigate this incident further.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/supplements/108735-species-nutrition-subject-personal-injury-claim-species-nutrition-subject.html
       shit here i thought i'd click on here and find that one of the species girls sat on and crushed somebody. or looked them in the eye and turned them into stone, sorry i just saw clash of the titans.
F

curtjames

• Getbig II
  • Getbig n00b
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »
People fucking sue for everything.  Another ambulance chasing lawyer trying to build a case out of nothing.

This.

It's a letter of request.

Pirrotti had no interest in a lawsuit. The letter specifically states, "in order to obviate the necessity of litigation."

I strongly suspect the letter was a scare tactic. One designed to create panic and a payoff.

While I do feel sympathy for Maria Bezrodnaya or anyone having suffered a devastating injury, I'd appreciate more thorough verification of her claims and motivation.

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
by Anthony Roberts

Does anyone else have a product called 'Species'?

SWOLETRAIN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 05:28:45 PM »
have any of you guys used any of the species products?

before lipolyze/somalyze ive never heard of usnic acid.
-

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »
I wonder if Dave has contacted Ron to take this thread down?  Hi Dave