Author Topic: Jeb Bush speaks out against Ariz. law  (Read 3523 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Jeb Bush speaks out against Ariz. law
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:56:17 PM »

Jeb Bush speaks out against Ariz. law
By: Jonathan Martin
April 27, 2010 03:15 PM EDT

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is speaking out against the new hard-line immigration law in Arizona, becoming the first prominent national Republican to do so.

"I think it creates unintended consequences," he said in a telephone interview with POLITICO Tuesday. "It's difficult for me to imagine how you're going to enforce this law. It places a significant burden on local law enforcement and you have civil liberties issues that are significant as well."

The measure, signed into law last Friday, would require police to check the immigration status of any individuals they reasonably suspect are illegal immigrants and arrest them if they can't prove legal status.

Bush said he understood the anger that prompted the bill, but that immigration should remain a federal issue.

"I don't think this is the proper approach," he said.

The former governor recounted how, after he gave a speech Monday night in California, he was approached by a Hispanic man who was concerned about the measure leading to racial profiling and unfair targeting of Latinos.

"He said, 'My parents live here, my grandparents live here — I'm Mexican-American,'" Bush recalled, adding that the man said, "'I could be picked up.'"

Like his brother the former president, Bush is a supporter of comprehensive immigration reform. He said the new law underscores the necessity for such federal legislation — what he called "an opportunity not a problem." On Thursday, Bush will join other conservative leaders on an open-press conference call to renew the push for the stalled legislation.

Bush's comments came on the same day that former Florida Speaker and Senate candidate Marco Rubio also came out in opposition to the Arizona law.

Rubio, whose parents were Cuban immigrants, said the legislation could "unreasonably single out people who are here legally, including many American citizens."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Jeb Bush speaks out against Ariz. law
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:59:12 PM »
Jeb is one of the wisest voices in the party.  If it wasn't for the damage that Dubya did to the name, Jeb would be, BY FAR, the top candidate for 2012. 

Jeb joins Tom tancredo, one of the highest rated conservative Republicans, along with conservative stalwart Bill Kristol in doubting this bill.

i guess we'll just call Jeb a lib now.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 03:01:04 PM »
Other than GW and myself, how many of you have passed the bar exam? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:02:15 PM »
Obama passed the bar exam.

in Kenya...  ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:03:52 PM »
Obama passed the bar exam.
in Kenya...  ;D

240 - does it both you that I have tried more cases in the last month than he did in his entire career?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »
Do you believe you know more about Constitutional Law than barack Obama, 333386?

James

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
George Bush is against the Bill as well I am sure. Both are also for Amnesty, and both are very wrong.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 03:08:23 PM »
George Bush is against the Bill as well I am sure. Both are also for Amnesty, and both are very wrong.
LOL yes according to 240 real conservatives are for amnesty...  ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 03:10:12 PM »
this is where the issue gets confusing.

Many of the people who SUPPORTED AMNESTY also SUPPORT THIS BILL.

Palin, Mccain, etc.

People like Tancredo, we were very much against Amnesty, are also against this bill.  This is why I believe we will see this as a RINO bill in a few weeks.  All of the true conservative types are rejecting it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »
Meh.  He's wrong.  And the article is misleading:  

"The measure, signed into law last Friday, would require police to check the immigration status of any individuals they reasonably suspect are illegal immigrants and arrest them if they can't prove legal status."

This omits the fact police must first make "lawful contact" with a person.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 03:14:28 PM »
Do you believe you know more about Constitutional Law than barack Obama, 333386?

I know an equal amount without any doubt in my mind. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
Like i said 240 is having his Palins' Baby 2010 moment with this. 

James

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
this is where the issue gets confusing.

Many of the people who SUPPORTED AMNESTY also SUPPORT THIS BILL.

Palin, Mccain, etc.

People like Tancredo, we were very much against Amnesty, are also against this bill.  This is why I believe we will see this as a RINO bill in a few weeks.  All of the true conservative types are rejecting it.

So far, I see one conservative against this: "Tancredo" and he is flat out wrong, as are you 240.

I bet if that Rancher who was murdered by Illegals on his own property had been related to you, you might see this differently, but maybe not, as you have been brainwashed by MSNBC.

FYI neither George or Jeb are Conservatives.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »
Meh.  He's wrong.  And the article is misleading:  

"The measure, signed into law last Friday, would require police to check the immigration status of any individuals they reasonably suspect are illegal immigrants and arrest them if they can't prove legal status."

This omits the fact police must first make "lawful contact" with a person.  

He's "wrong" about what?

Are you saying it would unlawful to stop them soley for suspicion of being an illegal alien? (I've heard this argument but I want to clarify that is what you are saying)

btw - the exact same misleading statement is in Newmax today too

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »
Jeb is one of the wisest voices in the party.  If it wasn't for the damage that Dubya did to the name, Jeb would be, BY FAR, the top candidate for 2012. 

Jeb joins Tom tancredo, one of the highest rated conservative Republicans, along with conservative stalwart Bill Kristol in doubting this bill.

i guess we'll just call Jeb a lib now.
Oh shut the fuck up.....  I saw this as a rare moment I would agree with him.  you turn him into a fucking hero over it.  WTF 240?

Ok, busting balls, you know I love ya ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 04:16:34 PM »
:P  I love this place.  We'd have fun debating and drinking together.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
He's "wrong" about what?

Are you saying it would unlawful to stop them soley for suspicion of being an illegal alien? (I've heard this argument but I want to clarify that is what you are saying)

btw - the exact same misleading statement is in Newmax today too
you cannot stop someone for being mexican...how would you know just watching someone that they are illegal?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »
hahah OMG... obama said they can pull ppl from ice cream lines with their kids for being hispanic... LOL he's been reading my posts!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »
you cannot stop someone for being mexican...how would you know just watching someone that they are illegal?

yep but there won't be any shortage of reasons to stop someone

frankly I have mixed feelings about this law

I don't think it's necessary but I also don't see any problem with LE checking legal status if they have stopped someone for a legitimate reason.   To be fair they should just ask everyone, white, black, green, purple, old ladies, little kids, etc...

I think this law is unnecessary and just opens the door for all kinds of potential abuse

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 06:31:25 PM »
hahah OMG... obama said they can pull ppl from ice cream lines with their kids for being hispanic... LOL he's been reading my posts!

LOL did he really?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
yep but there won't be any shortage of reasons to stop someone

frankly I have mixed feelings about this law

I don't think it's necessary but I also don't see any problem with LE checking legal status if they have stopped someone for a legitimate reason.   To be fair they should just ask everyone, white, black, green, purple, old ladies, little kids, etc...

I think this law is unnecessary and just opens the door for all kinds of potential abuse
well if the reasons they are stopping them are legal then what the fuk is the problem?

any law can be abused by law enforcement...I see your point on asking everyone but to me that would be fascist this law is simply asking ppl that arouse suspicion nothing more than any other law on the books.

ppl are afraid b.c it could be abused...by that logic we shouldnt have any laws since they all have been abused at one time or another...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »
well if the reasons they are stopping them are legal then what the fuk is the problem?

any law can be abused by law enforcement...I see your point on asking everyone but to me that would be fascist this law is simply asking ppl that arouse suspicion nothing more than any other law on the books.

ppl are afraid b.c it could be abused...by that logic we shouldnt have any laws since they all have been abused at one time or another...

how would that be fascist?

we screen everyone who get's on a plane regardless of whether they look like a terrorist or not

how does the cop know the white person he pulled over is not a illegal alien from Canada?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »
how would that be fascist?

we screen everyone who get's on a plane regardless of whether they look like a terrorist or not

how does the cop know the white person he pulled over is not a illegal alien from Canada?
I agree but we choose to fly a plane more so than we have choosen to be Americans...

I agree and if that white person gives the officer reasons to believe they are illegal than they should ask for proof...just like if the person they pulled over was asian, black or hispanic...

ppl want to make this a mexican issue...its not its an illegal immigrant issue, its not the point of the bill to focus on mexicans its just that the majority of illegals are mexican...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:43 PM »
I agree but we choose to fly a plane more so than we have choosen to be Americans...

I agree and if that white person gives the officer reasons to believe they are illegal than they should ask for proof...just like if the person they pulled over was asian, black or hispanic...

ppl want to make this a mexican issue...its not its an illegal immigrant issue, its not the point of the bill to focus on mexicans its just that the majority of illegals are mexican...

the real issue is the illegal employment of illegal immigrants

crack down on the reason why they are here and the problem takes care of itself

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »
the real issue is the illegal employment of illegal immigrants

crack down on the reason why they are here and the problem takes care of itself
(This is not meant soley for you straw as Ive heard this time and time again since this law was passed)

OMG would you ppl please stop parroting that...

educate yourselves on the issue the entire issue with illegals

First you will never EVER EVER EVVEEERRRRR be able to eliminate work for illegals...you may be able to limit it but not eliminate it

what if they have a baby in the states? why leave when they can recieve welfare?

what of those who dont work? dont work legally?

there are self sustainging communiteies of illegals

what of those that are living with legal immigrants?

that is simply one part of a multiple part approach of which finding the illegals in society and deporting them is another...