Author Topic: More NAILS in the ORGANIC FOOD Coffin-162 studies for 50 years-no difference.  (Read 6651 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/8020925.stm

Engineered maize's vitamin boost

By Mark Ward
Science and technology reporter, BBC News

The team hope to move to field trials in 2010 to see how the crop grows
A genetically modified (GM) maize fortified with three vitamins has been created by European researchers.
The modifications make the growing maize, or corn, produce large amounts of beta carotene and precursors of vitamin C and folic acid.
The development marks the first time any plant has been engineered to make more than one vitamin.
The creators argue the crop could help improve diets in poorer nations, but anti-GM campaigners are sceptical.
Reported in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), the research details how the South African white corn was created.

The team, led by Dr Paul Christou from Spain's University of Lleida, transferred genes into immature embryos of a variety known as M37W.
The embryos were bombarded with metal particles coated with chunks of DNA that, if taken up by the embryo, would alter its internal biochemical processes to make it produce the vitamins.
Subsequent analysis of sample plants grown from the genetically modified seeds showed that the corn was indeed successfully manipulated into producing the vitamins.
The changes induced in the maize also persisted through a couple of generations of the plants, wrote the researchers.

Doctored diet
The yield of vitamins "vastly exceeds" any produced by conventional plant breeding methods, wrote Dr Christou and his colleagues, from universities in Spain and in Germany, in their paper.
Producing a plant that contains three vitamins could help those in poorer nations who subsist on one food and rarely eat a balanced diet, the scientists said.

Before now plants have been produced that are fortified with one vitamin. However, added the researchers, wide use of such plants might alleviate one deficiency and do nothing about the others.

VITAMIN BENEFITS
Beta carotene - becomes Vitamin A - good for skin, eyesight, embryonic development, fertility and the immune system
Folate - folic acid - helps with red blood cell formation and many genetic processes, aids development of foetus during pregnancy
Ascorbate - becomes Vitamin C - essential for skin proteins and wound-healing and stimulates the immune system
By contrast, wrote the researchers, those eating 100-200g of the fortified corn would get almost all their recommended daily intake of vitamin A, and folic acid and 20% of the ascorbate they need.
Dr Christou told BBC News: "Our research is humanitarian in nature and targets impoverished people in developing countries. This specific project is targeted towards sub-Saharan Africa."
He added: "Our funding is exclusively from public sources so we are not encumbered by any commercial constraints."

Dr Christou said the success of the lab work was pushing the team to start field trials. Initial trials will be held in the US in 2010.
He said: "Once this is done we will be able to have enough data to try in Africa.
"We will soon embark on animal studies to generate efficacy and safety data, which will be required at some point," he added.
'Expensive technofixes'
Prof Johnathan Napier, research leader at the UK's Rothamsted Research Institute, said the work by Dr Christou and colleagues was similar to that done on "golden rice", but produced a crop with much higher levels of vitamin A.
He added that farmers and agriculturists had for centuries bred crops that resisted particular diseases, were easier to harvest or produced greater yields.
"With the advent of more advanced technologies we can select for less obvious traits that are more important, like nutrition," he said.
However, he said, moving from the lab to the field and then to wide-scale use could take time.
"The approval process is rigorous and long-winded," he said. "But it's important to make sure that the technology works, is stable and is evaluated as well as possible."

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I wish some of you would actually research your crops and where and how they were developed.  You will find that "mother nature" did not produce them whatsoever.  Even Heirlooms for that matter.

What varieties are you guys growing or do you know?

I'm well aware of where bananas, corn, yukon golds, and other edibles come from.  What your own study concludes and you don't mention is that many of these fruits and vegatbles come from a cross polination(even a manual one at that) of existing plants.  There is no genetic mutation of things or chemical changes that do not occur in nature.  You self owned yourself like KC said.  I believe(I could be wrong) it was the Aztecs that raised modern corn from a plant very similar to rice for example.  Keep grasping though, keep grasping.

Your taste still sucks if you think because Hunt's and fast food restaraunts buy a lot of tomatoes that they are the authority on how they should taste.  You've lost this one, move on.  

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
The point remains that people should have the right to know what they put in their mouths.  You always try to twist the arguement with your copy and paste when people come on here and defeat your arguement handily.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
http://www.eufic.org/article/en/food-technology/gmos/artid/iron-vitamin-a-gm-rice/

More iron and vitamin A from GM rice

Researchers have succeeded in genetically modifying rice to enhance its vitamin A and iron content. Once they have passed the authorisation procedure, these new varieties will be made freely available to local rice farmers for planting.

Especially in underdeveloped countries, where rice is often the only staple food, iron and vitamin A deficiencies contribute to the high rates of mortality and infirmity of mothers and children. Increased availability of these micro-nutrients in rice can help to reduce the scale of these deficiency-related diseases.

This research has been conducted by a working group led by Prof. Ingo Potrykus at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zurich, in collaboration with a group led by Dr. Peter Beyer at the University of Freiburg i. Breisgau (Germany). The newly nutritional benefits will be introduced into several other local rice varieties at the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in the Philippines and will be made freely available to local rice farmers for planting.

Conventional rice grains contain a substance (phytic acid) that can prevent the human digestive system from absorbing iron. Furthermore, only the green parts of rice plants (not the grain) contain the vital precursor of vitamin A (beta-carotene). This is why anaemia and vitamin A deficiencies are so widespread in regions where rice is the principal staple food. Small children, who are mainly fed on rice, are particularly prone to these deficiency-related diseases.

Iron deficiency anaemia is considered to be the most widespread deficiency syndrome world-wide. According to UNICEF over 2 billion people suffer from iron deficiency. In underdeveloped countries, 40 to 50% of children under five and over 50% of pregnant women suffer from iron deficiency.(1)

Over 100 million pre-school age children suffer from vitamin A deficiency, as do millions of women of child-bearing age. Vitamin A is essential for the operation of the body's immune system and is responsible for protecting mucous membrane cells. Vitamin A deficiency causes increased risk of infection, night-blindness and, in severe cases, total blindness. Over 1 million children die every year as a result of vitamin A deficiency.(2)

Until now, these deficiency symptoms could be only partially remedied by food supplements or vitamin and mineral enriched foods.

One rice gene has been modified and two new genes, coming from green beans and a specific micro-organism, have been implanted into the rice plants used at the ETH in Zurich. The result is that the iron content of some plants has been doubled. Furthermore, phytic acid can be completely removed from rice seeds by cooking and the iron absorption by the digestive system is thus improved. This is not possible with conventional rice

Due to the introduction of two other genes, the vitamin A precursor (beta-carotene) will now be stored in husked rice. Some genetically modified plant lines contain sufficient pro-vitamin A to satisfy daily vitamin A requirements with 300 g of cooked rice.

EUFIC 1999

http://www.unicef.org/sowc98/slight5.htm
http://www.unicef.org/sowc98/slight3.htm
FOOD TODAY 11/1999

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
The point remains that people should have the right to know what they put in their mouths.  You always try to twist the arguement with your copy and paste when people come on here and defeat your arguement handily.
::)

I really wish you would take the time to educate yourself.  I believe it to be inhumane to not use the technology especially when we have it, in order to provide essential nutrition that normally is not available through conventional crops.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
AT least Kcballer now can read the fact that crops have been and are being developed that eclipse what he refers to as "mother nature".

He can also learn about humanitarian benefits (I really hope he learns this as it is vital) these crops produce.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

I really wish you would take the time to educate yourself.  I believe it to be inhumane to not use the technology especially when we have it, in order to provide essential nutrition that normally is not available through conventional crops.

I wish you would take the time to read post instead of googling the first article to cut and paste here.  The point of the thread is for people to have the choice and they have the right to know how, where, and what is in their food, not just their produce either.  Please reread the first three pages of this thread if you need clarification.  

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Vitamin A Deficiency   WHO report.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I'm well aware of where bananas, corn, yukon golds, and other edibles come from.  What your own study concludes and you don't mention is that many of these fruits and vegatbles come from a cross polination(even a manual one at that) of existing plants.  There is no genetic mutation of things or chemical changes that do not occur in nature.  You self owned yourself like KC said.  I believe(I could be wrong) it was the Aztecs that raised modern corn from a plant very similar to rice for example.  Keep grasping though, keep grasping.

Your taste still sucks if you think because Hunt's and fast food restaraunts buy a lot of tomatoes that they are the authority on how they should taste.  You've lost this one, move on.  

Keep reading super farmer. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Good work here, TA.  Didn't see if you mentioned this or not, but also the vast majority of land that these so-called "organic" crops are grown on, have previously been used as traditional pesticide farms.  I watched a guest speaker from NC State giving a lecture on this very topic last week.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

Bill Gates is a computer whiz...not a nutritionist or farmer.  

Once again...do you think people have a right to know what is in their food?  You're worse than a corrupt politician, you take the subject matter way off base of the original thread.  No wonder nobody takes you seriously.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
This site contains too much information to post, but it gives you a good idea of what GMO food, Monsanto, the high power individuals who work or worked for Monsanto and support it regardless of the deadly products it produces, the death and illnesses communities are suffering because of their farming products and practices etc etc. Great information

http://organicconsumers.org/monlink.cfm
C

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Good work here, TA.  Didn't see if you mentioned this or not, but also the vast majority of land that these so-called "organic" crops are grown on, have previously been used as traditional pesticide farms.  I watched a guest speaker from NC State giving a lecture on this very topic last week.

Pesticides eventually break down.  

Once again...not the point of where the subject is.

Go eat a fast food tomato TA and feel better about yourself.  

SAMSON123

• Getbig V

I hope you know Bill and Melinda Gates are EUGENICISTS
C

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

:-\

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!

Ah, the speaker spoke on this.....when asked about that very question, she hip-hopped around it by talking about how tough the standards are for something to be labeled "organic" and how they have improved in recent years. 

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
BWhahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He posts some POTTED tomatoes growing on the side of a house as proof of his epic garden that has 30 different varieties growing ::)

Anybody have TA's address?  Maybe we can get a view of this garden of his on google earth :)

And lol, if he thinks there's no difference between store bought and garden grown, why is he growing them?

TA, potted tomatoes will limit your plant.  There's techniques that can't be done with tomatoes in a pot.  In a real garden you can plant a good portion of your tomato plant horizontal in the soil and the top will adjust vertical in hours.  The entire portion of the plant placed under the soil then grows out into a much larger root structure and you end up with more tomatoes per plant that are fully nutrient supplied.  This is only one reason your tomatoes might taste the same as store bought.  Plus you probably just dump a bunch of miracle grow in there thinking the confined roots will get everything they need.  You're doing everything like commercial growers do, so how the fuck would you know the difference?  Many of them don't even use soil!!!!  Maybe you should try that :D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
next you're growing many things in the same pots, that's another mistake.  Even your basil there in the background looks stunted.  Those tomato plants look stunted.  No wonder....

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
next you're growing many things in the same pots, that's another mistake.  Even your basil there in the background looks stunted.  Those tomato plants look stunted.  No wonder....
Uh, I didn`t even post a fraction of what we had last year.  That was just a bit outside the Greenhouse shed. 

I take it you are a greenhorn when it comes to crops (at least judging by your questions/assessment)  Furthermore you have no clue about North Carolina red clay soil.

I don`t wish to even try to educate as it won`t matter to you given your differing zone and soil.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Uh, I didn`t even post a fraction of what we had last year.  That was just a bit outside the Greenhouse shed.  

I take it you are a greenhorn when it comes to crops (at least judging by your questions/assessment)  Furthermore you have no clue about North Carolina red clay soil.

I don`t wish to even try to educate as it won`t matter to you given your differing zone and soil.
So you chose to post pictures from the side of the house over the greenhouse? lol.  Let's see a pick of you in your greenhouse TA.  You're so full of shit on everything you post, it's hilarous.  Nothing I said isn't true.  You're the dipshit with all kinds of stuff growing in the same pot.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
So you chose to post pictures from the side of the house over the greenhouse? lol.  Let's see a pick of you in your greenhouse TA.  You're so full of shit on everything you post, it's hilarous.  Nothing I said isn't true.  You're the dipshit with all kinds of stuff growing in the same pot.

You obviously have ZERO clue.  Do you not understand the concept of Companion Planting?  You must be new to this.

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

COMPANION PLANTING

Many plants have natural substances in their roots, flowers, leaves etc. that can alternately repel (anti-feedants) and/or attract insects depending on your needs. In some situations they can also help enhance the growth rate and flavor of other varieties. Experience shows us that using companion planting through out the landscape is an important part of integrated pest management. In essence companion planting helps bring a balanced eco-system to your landscape, allowing nature to do its' job. Nature integrates a diversity of plants, insects, animals, and other organisms into every ecosystem so there is no waste. The death of one organism can create food for another, meaning symbiotic relationships all around. We consider companion planting  to be a holistic concept due to the many intricate levels in which it works with the ecology.

By using companion planting, many gardeners find that they can discourage harmful pests without losing the beneficial allies. There are many varieties of herbs, flowers, etc. that can be used for companion plants. Be open to experimenting and find what works for you. Some possibilities would be using certain plants as a border, backdrop or interplanting in your flower or vegetable beds where you have specific needs. Use plants that are native to your area so the insects you want to attract already know what to look for! Plants with open cup shaped flowers are the most popular with beneficial insects.

Companion planting can combine beauty and purpose to give you an enjoyable, healthy environment. Have fun, let your imagination soar. There are many ways you can find to incorporate these useful plants in your garden, orchard, flower beds etc.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
TOMATOES: Tomato allies are many: asparagus, basil, bean, carrots, celery, chive, cucumber, garlic, head lettuce, marigold, mint, nasturtium, onion, parsley, pepper, marigold, pot marigold and sow thistle. One drawback with tomatoes and carrots: tomato plants can stunt the growth of your carrots but the carrots will still be of good flavor. Basil repels flies and mosquitoes, improves growth and flavor. Bee balm, chives and mint improve health and flavor. Borage deters tomato worm, improves growth and flavor. Dill, until mature, improves growth and health, mature dill retards tomato growth. Enemies: corn and tomato are attacked by the same worm. Kohlrabi stunts tomato growth. Keep potatoes and tomatoes apart as they both can get early and late blight contaminating each other. Keep cabbage and cauliflower away from them. Don't plant them under walnut trees as they will get walnut wilt: a disease of tomatoes growing underneath walnut trees.