Author Topic: USDA and MAYO Clinic: ORGANIC FOOD is NOT more Nutritious or Safer  (Read 7314 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/NU00255/NSECTIONGROUP=2

Organic foods: Are they safer? More nutritious?

Organic food: Buy or bypass?
Many factors may influence your decision to buy — or not buy — organic food. Consider these factors:

Nutrition.

No conclusive evidence shows that organic food is more nutritious than is conventionally grown food. And the USDA — even though it certifies organic food — doesn't claim that these products are safer or more nutritious.

Quality and appearance.

Organic foods meet the same quality and safety standards as conventional foods. The difference lies in how the food is produced, processed and handled. You may find that organic fruits and vegetables spoil faster because they aren't treated with waxes or preservatives. Also, expect less-than-perfect appearances in some organic produce — odd shapes, varying colors and perhaps smaller sizes. In most cases, however, organic foods look identical to their conventional counterparts.

Pesticides.

Conventional growers use pesticides to protect their crops from molds, insects and diseases. When farmers spray pesticides, this can leave residue on produce. Some people buy organic food to limit their exposure to these residues. Most experts agree, however, that the amount of pesticides found on fruits and vegetables poses a very small health risk.

Environment.

Some people buy organic food for environmental reasons. Organic farming practices are designed to benefit the environment by reducing pollution and conserving water and soil.
Cost. Most organic food costs more than conventional food products. Higher prices are due to more expensive farming practices, tighter government regulations and lower crop yields. Because organic farmers don't use herbicides or pesticides, many management tools that control weeds and pests are labor intensive. For example, organic growers may hand weed vegetables to control weeds, and you may end up paying more for these vegetables.

Taste.

Some people say they can taste the difference between organic and nonorganic food. Others say they find no difference. Taste is a subjective and personal consideration, so decide for yourself. But whether you buy organic or not, finding the freshest foods available may have the biggest impact on taste.
Buying tips
Whether you're already a fan of organic foods or you just want to shop wisely and handle your food safely, consider these tips:

Buy fruits and vegetables in season to ensure the highest quality. Also, try to buy your produce the day it's delivered to market to ensure that you're buying the freshest food possible. Ask your grocer what day new produce arrives.

Read food labels carefully. Just because a product says it's organic or contains organic ingredients doesn't necessarily mean it's a healthier alternative. Some organic products may still be high in sugar, salt, fat or calories.

Don't confuse natural foods with organic foods. Only those products with the "USDA Organic" label have met USDA standards.

Wash all fresh fruits and vegetables thoroughly with running water to reduce the amount of dirt and bacteria. If appropriate, use a small scrub brush — for example, before eating apples, potatoes, cucumbers or other produce in which you eat the outer skin.

If you're concerned about pesticides, peel your fruits and vegetables and trim outer leaves of leafy vegetables in addition to washing them thoroughly. Keep in mind that peeling your fruits and vegetables may also reduce the amount of nutrients and fiber. Some pesticide residue also collects in fat, so remove fat from meat and the skin from poultry and fish.

marty31672

• Getbig IV
Re: USDA and MAYO Clinic: ORGANIC FOOD is NOT more Nutritious or Safer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
when my wife shops she hardly ever gets organic
once she even complained that the fruit was bruised

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »
Whats your point?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
Whats your point?
Organic Food is inferior in every single aspect, including being worse for the Environment.  :-\

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
its important to protect the planet so are kids still have clean air and good water too

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:40:51 PM »
Thanks, next time I have a donut I'll keep in mind how much better it is for than that damn apple I have every morning!!

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:42:45 PM »
I hear large zucchini's are considered orgasmic food to some.

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:43:01 PM »
 Haha.

If you think the USDA would EVER tell the truth on the issue of organic food you have shit for brains.

The USDA is in the food BUSINESS. They aren't looking out for our health.

I don't know about the MAYO clinic but i'm sure it's the same story.

Money makes the world go around.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »
Haha.

If you think the USDA would EVER tell the truth on the issue of organic food you have shit for brains.

The USDA is in the food BUSINESS. They aren't looking out for our health.

I don't know about the MAYO clinic but i'm sure it's the same story.

Money makes the world go around.
::)

Stop with the Conspiracy Theories and the lack of evidence please.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »
Your lack of commonsense is mesmorizing!!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »
Your lack of commonsense is mesmorizing!!
Your lack of evidence is amazing.

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 08:54:52 PM »
::)

Stop with the Conspiracy Theories and the lack of evidence please.

Actually I just got done reading a long book about this called "Against the Grain".

The USDA is strictly business and their studies and recomendations are almost all business related.

Organic food is bad for big business, and all the major lobbyists like Cargill and Monsanto, are VERY much against organic food farms. And there is a huge power structure in place that is against the proliferation of organic farms ad organic food's popularity.

The USDA spends alot of time and energy trying to get us to eat all the excess corn and wheat that the US produces. They are responsible for the excessive high fructose corn syrup Americans consume instead of sugar.

Do you really think that the USDA is unbiased? What do you base THIS on? I'll be happy to debate you on this one because I just educated myself all about it.

Some conspiracy theories are ridiculous. But a lot of conspiracy theories are just true. The world isn't a happy little place.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$-- yeah, you can really tell the difference at the cash register. That's about it.

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$-- yeah, you can really tell the difference at the cash register. That's about it.

So you don't think pesticides are bad for you?

Sure it won't kill you instantly. But neither do cigarettes.

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 09:06:41 PM »
Actually I just got done reading a long book about this called "Against the Grain".

The USDA is strictly business and their studies and recomendations are almost all business related.

Organic food is bad for big business, and all the major lobbyists like Cargill and Monsanto, are VERY much against organic food farms. And there is a huge power structure in place that is against the proliferation of organic farms ad organic food's popularity.

The USDA spends alot of time and energy trying to get us to eat all the excess corn and wheat that the US produces. They are responsible for the excessive high fructose corn syrup Americans consume instead of sugar.

Do you really think that the USDA is unbiased? What do you base THIS on? I'll be happy to debate you on this one because I just educated myself all about it.

Some conspiracy theories are ridiculous. But a lot of conspiracy theories are just true. The world isn't a happy little place.
No one likes to believe these 'conspiracies.'  Now matter how right they are.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:15:26 PM »
So you don't think pesticides are bad for you?

Sure it won't kill you instantly. But neither do cigarettes.
Nutrition.

No conclusive evidence shows that organic food is more nutritious than is conventionally grown food. And the USDA — even though it certifies organic food — doesn't claim that these products are safer or more nutritious.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/04/26/attention_whole_foods_shoppers?page=0,2

Health professionals also reject the claim that organic food is safer to eat due to lower pesticide residues. Food and Drug Administration surveys have revealed that the highest dietary exposures to pesticide residues on foods in the United States are so trivial (less than one one-thousandth of a level that would cause toxicity) that the safety gains from buying organic are insignificant. Pesticide exposures remain a serious problem in the developing world, where farm chemical use is not as well regulated, yet even there they are more an occupational risk for unprotected farmworkers than a residue risk for food consumers.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 09:19:19 PM »
Also, Organic Food producers use pesticides as well.  Many are ineffective which pose a risk to producing a diseased crop and hence ingestion of diseased crops.  :-\

The National Cancer Institute
American Cancer Society
National Institute of Health
Mayo Clinic
FDA
USDA
CDC
(not to mention many, many more public and private Institutions with the same Scientific consensus)
ALL agree that there is NO Evidence of any risk of cancer with the ingestion of Non-Organic or Organic Pesticides that are currently used on crops.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »
LOL, you shovel processed, sugar laden shit down your throat everday and you're worried about organic foods? LOL!!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »
LOL, you shovel processed, sugar laden shit down your throat everday and you're worried about organic foods? LOL!!
I am grilling Burgers on the Charcoal Weber as we speak.

I am leaning towards making Wild Mushroom Cheddar Burgers or Texas Burgers.  I will let you know which I decide.

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »
You're such a fuckin' hipster homo TA

always trying to make yourself appear cultured and shit

nobody cares about your wild mushroom turd burgers

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
You're such a fuckin' hipster homo TA

always trying to make yourself appear cultured and shit

nobody cares about your wild mushroom turd burgers
Hardly Hipster.

I am using Bobby Flay`s recipes from this book:

Now go back to eating your bland garbage.

ShipSekki

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 10:36:37 PM »
Nutrition.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/04/26/attention_whole_foods_shoppers?page=0,2

Health professionals also reject the claim that organic food is safer to eat due to lower pesticide residues. Food and Drug Administration surveys have revealed that the highest dietary exposures to pesticide residues on foods in the United States are so trivial (less than one one-thousandth of a level that would cause toxicity) that the safety gains from buying organic are insignificant. Pesticide exposures remain a serious problem in the developing world, where farm chemical use is not as well regulated, yet even there they are more an occupational risk for unprotected farmworkers than a residue risk for food consumers.

You don't know much about this obviously. You keep on citing questionable sources who use questionable methods to carry out their studies.

Of course they aren't reaching toxicity leves of pesticides with the fruit you eat. Of course the levels are only 1/1000th of the toxicity level. But this does NOT mean that it's not affecting you. And it doesn not mean that it won't cause long term damage.

You gotta look at the details of how these studies are carried out to see how they came to their conclusions.

Some foods are pretty safe to eat and they don't spray them heavily. But wme foods they will literally directly spray the pesticide right onto the part of it that you are eating. Some foods literally have a coating of pesticide on them, like peppers and some strawberries.

I spent some time working on farms too a while back and saw the pesticides being sprayed onto the fruit. You seem like you're just casually quoting internet articles.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »
You don't know much about this obviously. You keep on citing questionable sources who use questionable methods to carry out their studies.

Of course they aren't reaching toxicity leves of pesticides with the fruit you eat. Of course the levels are only 1/1000th of the toxicity level. But this does NOT mean that it's not affecting you. And it doesn not mean that it won't cause long term damage.

You gotta look at the details of how these studies are carried out to see how they came to their conclusions.

Some foods are pretty safe to eat and they don't spray them heavily. But wme foods they will literally directly spray the pesticide right onto the part of it that you are eating. Some foods literally have a coating of pesticide on them, like peppers and some strawberries.

I spent some time working on farms too a while back and saw the pesticides being sprayed onto the fruit. You seem like you're just casually quoting internet articles.
Questionable Sources?

Really?
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
The National Cancer Institute
American Cancer Society
National Institute of Health
Mayo Clinic
FDA
USDA
CDC

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 10:41:02 PM »

Whats also amusing is that I have credible sources, you have NO sources.   ;D

Keep believing in the myths!

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
Copy. Ctrl + C

Paste.  Ctrl + V

Now you try.