Author Topic: Genetics vs steroids vs are we training properly?  (Read 2587 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Genetics vs steroids vs are we training properly?
« on: April 29, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »
I am blessed with very large traps and neck.  When I'm lean, they look pretty impressive. they are definetely comparable, size wise, with some juicers i've known.

I have a friend with monster calves.  he's all natural, and they are just insane. again, genetics... but they look like a juicers calves.

I have another friend who has ridiculous forearms, all natural, juiced look though.

I don't know anyone with juiced looking quads, back, chest, bis, tris etc...

so, why is it that there is a genetic disposition to being able to build muslces like the calves and forearms naturaly (or neck and traps) to levels that other muscles seem able to attain only with roids?  Are we training wrong?  is there something to learn from the high volume??

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Re: Genetics vs steroids vs are we training properly?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:30:12 AM »
I am prone towards easy trap and calf growth both strength and mass wise. 

Purely hypothetical, but I think part of the reason is I always "squeeze" at the peak of the contraction.  Its just naturally with exercises like shrugs or almost any calf exercise like seated calves. 

I think squeezing at peak of contraction is a hugely undertapped gold mine for growth.  When you squeeze at the peak of contraction you are saying a lot of things.  You are saying "my form is awesome", "my mind-muscle link is beast", "I own this exercise", "Time to get the pump" etc. 

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:54:23 AM »
You need more black friends...

Seriously, wait til you see a non-juicer with "juiced" looking quads. They are out there. Natural sweep, all that. It's ridiculous.

I also have friends who have the huge stop-in-your-tracks calves. It's just plain freaky, especially when they are ready for you to ask them about training or to compliment them. They have already heard it from bodybuilders so many times.

Genetics are EVERYTHING!

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:27:24 PM »
       You bring up a really good point that has got me thinking. One thing that all of those bodyparts have in common is a very small range of motion when performing the movements to develop them. I know that when I do calves I really focus on the movement since the ROM is so short and it's easy to cheat and not get anything out of it. It could also be said that those muscle groups are relatively small thus being able to recover quicker. On the flip side of that coin, there are plenty of juicers out there with pathetic calves and forearms despite the rest of them being impressive so that would fall into the genetics department since those muscle groups did not respond as well to gear and training. 

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »
I am prone towards easy trap and calf growth both strength and mass wise. 

Purely hypothetical, but I think part of the reason is I always "squeeze" at the peak of the contraction.  Its just naturally with exercises like shrugs or almost any calf exercise like seated calves. 

I think squeezing at peak of contraction is a hugely undertapped gold mine for growth.  When you squeeze at the peak of contraction you are saying a lot of things.  You are saying "my form is awesome", "my mind-muscle link is beast", "I own this exercise", "Time to get the pump" etc. 

Squeezing a muscle at the top of the movement is great but it works only when the greatest stress on the muscle is at the top position, like a calf raise, shrug, wrist curl. You will not get that same effect at the top of a squat for example, same with any kind of compound press since at the very top since its easier to hold the weight at the top than move it through the midpoint.

AVBG

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 01:33:24 AM »
I am all calves and able to get ripped.. Not much else.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:48:21 PM »
I am all calves and able to get ripped.. Not much else.

I just wish I was big and ripped...

AVBG

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »

I just wish I was big and ripped...

want it all don't  we?  :'(

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:10:40 PM »
      Squeezing a muscle at the top of the movement is great but it works only when the greatest stress on the muscle is at the top position, like a calf raise, shrug, wrist curl. You will not get that same effect at the top of a squat for example, same with any kind of compound press since at the very top since its easier to hold the weight at the top than move it through the midpoint.

thanks this gives me something to think about

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:28:38 AM »
thanks this gives me something to think about

isn't this (ability to squeeze at peak contraction) because trap, forearm and calf training are all only involving one joint? even biceps and triceps involve the wrists as well as the elbow.

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »
isn't this (ability to squeeze at peak contraction) because trap, forearm and calf training are all only involving one joint? even biceps and triceps involve the wrists as well as the elbow.

Maybe..

What it makes me think of is when you read BB books and mags they put a lot of emphasis on the negative portion of the movement.  I think awesome bodybuilders find ways to keep confusing the muscles.  I want to give it a few months but I'd like to throw in some forced negatives at some point just to name an example of how you can break through a plateau:

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »

That is true, but if you look at something like a barbell row, or pull up, both involve multiple joints and both have a peak contraction when the bar is closest to your body. Both of those movements would work for that squeeze and pause when the bar hits your body. Hell you almost don't even have to concentrate on squeezing, if you pause for a second or two, you simply have no choice otherwise the weight will reverse direction.