2 (8.3%)
J.R. should move beyond pro-wrestling
0 (0%)
J.R. should just retire and "enjoy life"
4 (16.7%)
J.R. should do whatever J.R. wants to do
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Jim Ross News:  (Read 17382 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Jim Ross News:
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »
JR on his future in announcing, possibly even for the UFC:

"I don't think that Monday night was my official 'send off ' from WWE announcing or at least no one told me such. After doing a piece of the Celtics radio broadcast with pal Sean Grande a couple of weeks ago in OKC and with the OU Football and Basketball job coming open next year, I would like to think that I will be doing some broadcasting work before I finally hang it up which will be years from now.

"The UFC upper management people know that I have an interest in their product and I think that my style would fit what they do quite well especially when they begin expanding their roster of broadcasters. Who knows, WWE might want me to do something on an occasional basis but I must point out that there is absolutely no plans to that affect at this time."

credit: JRsBarBQ.com

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 04:31:46 AM »
Absolute latest on Jim Ross:

It’s said to be no secret that Jim Ross wants to return to the announce booth. His appearance on RAW two weeks ago resulted in overwhelming sentiment that he should return, but his fate lies in the hands of Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn, who prefer youth—though Jerry Lawler is three years older than Ross.

Furthermore, Lawler and Cole have pushed for Ross to replace Matt Striker as the third man for pay-per-view broadcasts, whom they both dislike. McMahon, however, feels the pay-per-view broadcast team should be limited to those who work television. Vince is keen on these younger guys because he knows he doesn't have to pay them nearly what Ross or Lawler make but lets not forget, Ross & Lawler know what they're doing and have great experience and chemistry.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
Jim Ross' latest blog at JRsBarBQ.com:

"While Snooki's in ring expertise may never be confused with many past or present WWE Divas, the value of having Snooki on the Wrestlemania card has already been established with the massive amount of main stream PR that the 'Jersey Shore' personality has garnered. I was amazed at how short Snooki was as she seemed to be cooperative and professional based on my limited observations of her."

"Will Kurt Angle ever return to WWE? How would I or any one other than Kurt and the WWE decision makers know the answer to this? However, I'd suggest that most former WWE talents who had the chance to come back to WWE and earn a good, steady living would all entertain that thought. Angle's greatest professional moments IMO were in WWE and him being able to finish in WWE might make for some compelling TV. Again, not my call."

"I choose not to respond in detail to recent TNA internal issues as I don't follow their product closely nor do I know the actual details of what may or may not have occurred over the past few days. However, I do still profess to the philosophy that if one can't solve a problem one must eliminate it."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »
If JR is up for it, make him the RAW announcer and make Cole a manager. Booker and Matthews are fine on SD...Cole has gotten Swagger more heat in 2 weeks than he had in 2 years.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2011, 04:41:17 AM »
If JR is up for it, make him the RAW announcer and make Cole a manager. Booker and Matthews are fine on SD...Cole has gotten Swagger more heat in 2 weeks than he had in 2 years.
I agree. I would put Cole with Miz and leave booker as a color commentator on Smackdown and have Nash as a road agent backstage.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Will/Should Jim Ross go to TNA?
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
As a business man, JR gets an A+.

I know I'm going to get blasted for saying this, but oh well.  i have never been a fan of JR as a play by play guy.  I was an NWA fan when they brought him over from the UWF back in the day.  He was half-decent at that point, but his work in WWE has always made me want to choke somebody.....whole career of "Gooooood laaaaards !!!!!!"  And trying to sneak in psuedo-curse words like an 8yr old.  No thanks.

Of course I was raised on Gordon Solie.  And JR couldn't carry Gordon's jock...nobody can.   8)

Part of the issue is just the whole evolution of the product, I know, but back in the day Solie and Bob Caudle didn't actually know what was going to happen on set.....the idea was to capture their reaction to what was happening in real time.  Certainly gave the shows a more "real" feel.

You won't get blasted by me.  In fact, you were much kinder than I would have been.  Of course, I suspect the same about you. ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2011, 07:00:21 AM »
From Jim Ross's Twitter:

"@meesh282 There are no plans at this time for me to go back to weekly announcing. Things could always change."

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2011, 10:50:31 PM »
From Jim Ross's Twitter:

"@meesh282 There are no plans at this time for me to go back to weekly announcing. Things could always change."

It must be frustrating for Vince, grooming play-by-play guys for years, and yet JR continues to make the save.  Of course, I don't think anyone will ever beat Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura, IMO.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2011, 06:47:34 AM »
  It must be frustrating for Vince, grooming play-by-play guys for years, and yet JR continues to make the save.  Of course, I don't think anyone will ever beat Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura, IMO.

Some fans/historians try to compare Ross to Solie, but I don't like that.
Guys like Solie, Ross, Monsoon, Jesse, etc., were all good in their own individual ways.

You can compare their effectiveness in what they add to the product, but that falls under comparing quality; not style & character.

The Monsoon/Ventura team is probably one of my favorites because of the two styles, and also the way they meshed.
Gorilla & Heenan had great chemistry, too.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 04:46:47 AM »

Some fans/historians try to compare Ross to Solie, but I don't like that.
Guys like Solie, Ross, Monsoon, Jesse, etc., were all good in their own individual ways.

You can compare their effectiveness in what they add to the product, but that falls under comparing quality; not style & character.

The Monsoon/Ventura team is probably one of my favorites because of the two styles, and also the way they meshed.
Gorilla & Heenan had great chemistry, too.
Believe it or not, I enjoyed the McMahon - Ventura announce tandam. I lovedit when Jesse used to put Vince in his place.  :D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
Believe it or not, I enjoyed the McMahon - Ventura announce tandam. I lovedit when Jesse used to put Vince in his place.  :D

Yep.
And, Jesse probably enjoyed publicly talking that way to his real-life boss - even if much of the general public wasn't aware of that fact.

I think in the early 80's, most casual fans simply saw Vince as an announcer.
But, Vince was okay at the table when he had someone good to work with like Heenan or Jesse.
I never cared much for the Vince/Lawler team, though.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2011, 08:12:05 AM »

Yep.
And, Jesse probably enjoyed publicly talking that way to his real-life boss - even if much of the general public wasn't aware of that fact.

I think in the early 80's, most casual fans simply saw Vince as an announcer.
But, Vince was okay at the table when he had someone good to work with like Heenan or Jesse.
I never cared much for the Vince/Lawler team, though.
When I was a kid growing up in the eighties, I thought Vince was just a commentator.  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
When I was a kid growing up in the eighties, I thought Vince was just a commentator.  ;D

Oh, yeah: a lot of people did.
I didn't realize he "owned" the Fed until it came out in the steroid scandal in '92.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 05:28:39 AM »

Oh, yeah: a lot of people did.
I didn't realize he "owned" the Fed until it came out in the steroid scandal in '92.
Speaking of the scandal in '92, did you watch the WBF show he did when he started "testing" his bodybuilders? Mighty Mike Quinn came out with a gut, looking so smooth under the lights and he looked like a floppy mess.  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 05:40:09 AM »
Speaking of the scandal in '92, did you watch the WBF show he did when he started "testing" his bodybuilders? Mighty Mike Quinn came out with a gut, looking so smooth under the lights and he looked like a floppy mess.  :)

Yep.
MMI ran an interview they did with him a few years back and showed a pic of Mike onstage from that show.
Oddly enough, Strydom looked quite different! ::)

But, the most amazing part of that interview is that that Kennedy found the space to squeeze in that article between two Muscle-Tech 87-page "Special Ad-reports."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 06:37:32 AM »

Yep.
MMI ran an interview they did with him a few years back and showed a pic of Mike onstage from that show.
Oddly enough, Strydom looked quite different! ::)

But, the most amazing part of that interview is that that Kennedy found the space to squeeze in that article between two Muscle-Tech 87-page "Special Ad-reports."

From what I understood, Strydom was the WBF's posterboy. Many guys cheated on their urine tests but they utlimately used Quinn as their scapegoat. He really looked awful.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2011, 06:22:21 PM »
Jim Ross has posted the following over at JRsBarBQ.com:

"I will be undergoing abdominal surgery this week. I am bothered by a traumatic incisional hernia that needs to be addressed. My surgeon is the same one who performed colon surgery, and no, not the beloved Dr. Heiney, a few years ago on me. He's a great doctor who actually was a former Oklahoma Sooner footballer back in his college days.

This issue evolved just over the past 3-4 months and I'm told that getting it repaired now would be timely and prevent other related health issues going forward."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2011, 06:24:59 PM »
Also from JRsBarBQ.com:

"Great week of TV production this week in Stamford at WWE HQ. The nWo 15th Anniversary Legends Roundtable airs on WWE On Demand in July. Kevin Nash, Gene Okerlund and JJ Dillon were able to provide some great insight to the WCW/nWo days. @RealKevinNash is still in great shape and still has some fuel in the tank the the desire to use it. Kevin added a great deal to the panel on the nWo discussion. It's a program that could have multiple parts if WWE wants to revisit it at some point. "

________________________ ________________________ ___

"What do I think of the recent Hulk-Warrior war of words? Nothing. It's none of my business and I'm not interested in following what appears to be a 'pissing contest.'"

________________________ ________________________ ___

"Kevin said Scott Hall was doing "much, much better" as of recent days and that Scott was likely going to be the subject of a feature on ESPN. I was really happy to hear that Scott was getting healthier. I can attest to the fact that Scott Hall has one of the most creative minds in the business or at least he did when I was around him back in the day. Scott always possessed great wrestling instincts and had the ability to process in ring content and promo material as well as anyone."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »
Also from his blog:

"Kevin Nash told us at the taping of the WWE Legends Roundtable last week that years ago when I mentioned on Raw one Monday night that I was going to bring back 'Diesel and Razor' next week, that WCW attorneys freaked out because Nash and Hall had only signed 'deal memos' and not their final contracts.

To expedite the final, final contract signing WCW, to make sure that 'Razor and Diesel' wouldn't appear on Monday Night Raw, apparently threw another $400K to each guy to get the deal done ASAP which happened in a sports bar inside the CNN Center. Then, TBS flew the two men home in a private jet. Yep...WCW legal beagles actually believed what 'Good Ol J.R.' said while in TV mode and they quickly spend another $800K of their company's money."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »
Yep...WCW legal beagles actually believed what 'Good Ol J.R.' said while in TV mode and they quickly spend another $800K of their company's money."

Hard to believe that company went under.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »
WATERLOO, Iowa -- One of the biggest names in professional wrestling will be recognized by the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum. Jim Ross, a ring announcer and an executive for World Wrestling Entertainment, will receive the Lou Thesz Award at the George Tragos/Lou Thesz Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame inductions on July 22-23.

The Lou Thesz Award is given to an individual in wrestling who has taken the skills of professional wrestling into the realm of public service.

The award is presented by the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum and Eblen Charities. Eblen Charities is a North Carolina based non-profit organization that assists children, adults, and families in times of need.

Hall of Famer Gerald Brisco will present Ross his award at an induction banquet on Saturday, July 23. The banquet will be held at the Five Sullivan Brothers Convention Center in Waterloo, Iowa.

Jim Ross carries the passion and dedication to make this profession the very best it can be,“ said Brisco. “I think Lou Thesz would be honored to know good old JR will be receiving this great award.”

Ross is one of the most recognized names in professional wrestling. He is best-known as a professional wrestling commentator and for his work with World Wrestling Entertainment. Ross has been heavily involved with scouting and talent development with the WWE.

Ross consistently works with several service organizations, including the Support Our Troops initiative, Circle of Champions, and Get R.E.A.L. (Respect, Education, Achievement, Leadership). He has also been involved with Meetings with Children with Life Threatening Illnesses. 

“My boyhood hero was Lou Thesz,” said Jim Ross. “Getting the Lou Thesz Award is an overwhelming honor. I’m looking forward to being in Waterloo for this event.”

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
Any three-man team is all about timing and chemistry,” WWE hall of famer Jim Ross said Wednesday in a telephone interview with Alex Marvez. “All the guys have to have their egos in check. They have to share the load and the storytelling. We’re starting to smooth things out a bit. Once everybody gets comfortable with whatever role they’re there to fulfill, it will really start to come together.”

He also said that he hid in the production truck and snuck in right before he was announced to keep his return secret. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »
The following is a new tweet from the official Twitter page of Jim Ross:

"Bad day..got hit by a pickup..totaled my Escalade or so body shop thinks. Seat belt & airbag saved me.

And, later:

"Thanks to seat belt and airbags, I'm sore in places I didn't know I had, but [I'm] home. Escalade [is] totaled. hit [the] guy head on as he made [an] illegal turn. [I'm] blessed." Traveling west crossing over I35 and pickup made [a] left turn in front of me to get [to] I35 south. hit him head on. Sooner Magic. Thanks.
Thanks to all with positive thoughts after my car accident Saturday. I'm sore, but got extremely lucky. Wasn't my time. Other driver cited."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
Paul Heyman's return is one of the more positive things to occur in WWE in a good while. As I have said over the years, Heyman's TV persona is an easy one to dislike.

What makes Heyman so effective is that he doesn't play the 'role' of a villain who has litigious tendencies. Plus, Heyman is a life long fan who now has the chance to essentially reinvent himself with this unexpected return to the genre. It will likely be his last return to the business if I had to make a wager.

I'm very excited about today's trip and tomorrow's work in Orlando. I'm like a kid on his first day at a new school. I don't know what to expect but am excited to be 'enrolled.' The future of the WWE lies within the Talent Development program and I am blessed to be able to help in that area in any way that the company sees fit. My role has yet to be outlined but I think I can assist in many areas and I'm excited to devote my time and energies to helping develop the young stars of tomorrow.

Can't wait to see CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan for the WWE Title this Sunday night in Raleigh on PPV. Hope the Raleigh live audience is more emotionally invested that was the Greensboro audience a week or so ago. Punk vs Bryan should be off the page. I love their individual, in ring styles and, Lord knows, both men have paid ample dues.

Some day, Punk vs. Bryan has a potential 'Ironman Match' written all over it or perhaps even a 'best of three' series of bouts.

source: JRsBarBQ.com