Author Topic: Trap sets to failure  (Read 867 times)

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Trap sets to failure
« on: May 05, 2010, 12:52:50 AM »
Theres a lot of talk of you don't need to go to failure or just go to failure sometimes with various exercises..

Am I the only person who thinks you should almost always burn out traps for full development?  At least the last set if not all of them?  I'm eyeball to eyeball with myself grinning as I reach those last reps.. Then I start blasting.. faster.. yeah its almost like im cheating towards the end but have to do what I have to do to get those last couple knocked out.  I see some good lifts in the gym here and there but its rare that I see anybody really Bring The Pain with traps. 

This is just what works for me.  Its not like a bench where you gotta worry about jacking up your shoulder or pec.. or a squat where your knee could get f if your form goes to crap at the end of the set.  Those exercises its all strict form, control, think about what im doing, imagine the power coming out of my pecs and tris or explode up from the heels with my glutes. 

Traps though its like this is so simple a caveman could do it.  Rock out with your cock out.  Thoughts?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: Trap sets to failure
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:44:04 AM »
I generally agree. I go very heavy with traps, and train them hard as i feel my traps are a weak point. Reps probably stay between 8-15 (progressively reps get lower as weight goes up) only do 3 sets of BB shrugs though.

I was doing high volume before, but i think heavy weight, moderate reps seems to be working. I just load up the bar as heavy as i can and try to do the shrugs as fast as i can.

they seem to be a bodypart kinda like calves in which you really need to hit them hard to see any improvement........for me anyway.
No doubt about it...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Trap sets to failure
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »
Full development for the traps, than try cleans and/or Hi-pulls (either hang or PR). Hitting the complete diamond shaped trap structure, to mid/lower back. Also hits the lateral and rear delts strongly. For BB'ing DL's, might try rack pulls, starting around knee level pin set. Only need to start from the floor if into PL'ing. And of course , never going to complete failure on anything.

Even if your a big time DL'er, you should feel a soreness in the traps/mid-back the next few days. Good Luck.
F