Author Topic: Stock Market Has Biggest One Day Plunge Ever  (Read 2191 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Stock Market Has Biggest One Day Plunge Ever
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »
But everything is getting better in america...Just keep saying that while you click your heels three times

Stocks plunge, Dow has record drop, then recovers on concerns about Greek debt problems
ap

Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Thursday, May 6, 2010, in New York. It was a painful flashback to the darkest days of 2008: Stocks plunged and the Dow Jones industrials skidded by hundreds of points as traders succumbed to fears that Greece's debt problems would halt the global economic recovery.(AP Photo/Henny Ray Abrams)

Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Thursday, May 6, 2010, in New York. It was a painful flashback to the darkest days of 2008: Stocks plunged and the Dow Jones industrials skidded by hundreds of points as traders succumbed to fears that Greece's debt problems would halt the global economic recovery.(AP Photo/Henny Ray Abrams)
Tim Paradis, AP Business Writer, On Thursday May 6, 2010, 5:40 pm

NEW YORK (AP) -- The stock market had one of its most turbulent days in history as the Dow Jones industrials dropped almost 1,000 points in less than half an hour on fears that Greece's debt problems could halt the global economic recovery.

The market's plunge came less than 90 minutes before the end of trading. The Dow's drop was its largest loss ever during the course of a trading day, but it recovered to a loss of 347 at the close. All the major indexes lost more than 3 percent.

There were reports that the sudden drop was caused by a trader who mistyped an order to sell a large block of stock. The drop in that stock's price was enough to trigger "sell" orders across the market.

Still, the Dow was already down more than 200 points as traders watched protests in the streets of Athens on TV. Protestors raged against austerity measures passed by the Greek parliament. But traders were not comforted by the fact that Greece seemed to be working towards a resolution of its debt problems. Instead, they focused on the possibility that other European countries would also run into trouble, and that the damage to their economies could spread to the U.S.

The Dow has lost 631 points, or 5.7 percent, in three days amid worries about Greece. That is its largest three-day percentage drop since March 2009, when the stock market was nearing its bottom following the financial crisis.

"The market is now realizing that Greece is going to go through a depression over the next couple of years," said Peter Boockvar, equity strategist at Miller Tabak. "Europe is a major trading partner of ours, and this threatens the entire global growth story."

The stock market has had periodic bouts of anxiety about the European economies during the past few months. They have intensified over the past week even as Greece appeared to be moving closer to getting a bailout package from some of its neighbors.

Computer trading intensified the losses as programs designed to sell stocks at a specified level kicked in. Traders use those programs to try to limit their losses when the market is falling. And the selling only led to more selling as prices fell.

The selling was furious:

At 2:20 p.m. EDT, the Dow was at 10,460, a loss of 400 points.

It then tumbled 600 points in seven minutes to its low of the day of 9,869, a drop of 9.2 percent.

By 3:09 p.m., the Dow had regained 700 points. It then fluctuated sharply until the close.

"I think the machines just took over. There's not a lot of human interaction," said Charlie Smith, chief investment officer at Fort Pitt Capital Group. "We've known that automated trading can run away from you, and I think that's what we saw happen today."

On the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, stone-faced traders huddled around electronic boards and televisions, silently watching and waiting. Traders' screens were flashing numbers non-stop, with losses shown in solid blocks of red numbers.

Jack Ablin, chief investment officer at Harris Private Bank in Chicago, said the selling brought back memories of the 1987 crash.

"I've been watching the markets since 1982 and, believe me, I froze at the screen in '87," Ablin said. "But today ... caused me to fall out of my chair at one point. It felt like we lost control."

The impact on some stocks was enormous although brief. Stock in the consulting firm Accenture fell to 4 cents after closing at $42.17 on Wednesday. It closed at $41.09, down just over $1.

NYSE spokesman Raymond Pellecchia said the plunge wasn't caused by a problem with the exchange's trading systems. The Nasdaq Stock Market said it was reviewing its trades with other trading networks.

NYSE chief operating officer Larry Leibowitz said all the major stock exchanges were holding a conference call with the Securities and Exchange Commission to discuss what happened. It was not immediately known if there would be a statement issued after the call to explain the day's events.

The Dow fell 998.50 points in its largest point drop ever, eclipsing the 780.87 it lost during the course of trading on Oct. 15, 2008, during the height of the financial crisis. The Dow closed that day down 733.08, the biggest closing loss it has ever suffered.

The Dow recovered two-thirds of its loss Thursday. It closed down 347.80, or 3.2 percent, at 10,520. That was its biggest point loss since February 2009.

The Standard & Poor's 500 index, the index most closely watched by market pros, fell 37.75, or 3.2 percent, to 1,128.15. The Nasdaq composite index lost 82.65, or 3.4 percent, and closed at 2,319.64.

At the market's lows, all three indexes were showing losses for the year. The Dow now shows a gain of 0.9 percent for 2010, while the S&P is up 1.2 percent and the Nasdaq is up 2.2 percent.

At the close, losses were so widespread that just 173 stocks rose on the NYSE, compared to 3,008 that fell. The major indexes were all down more than 3 percent.

Meanwhile, interest rates on Treasurys soared as traders sought the safety of U.S. government debt. The yield on the benchmark 10-year note, which moves opposite its price, fell to 3.4 percent from late Wednesday's 3.54 percent.
C

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Stock Market Has Biggest One Day Plunge Ever
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:23:48 PM »
And everyone calls me a doom and gloomer. 

I understand reality. 

We spent trillions of dollars on fraudulent bailouts and have nothing to show for it. 

This mess is going to come to the usa and there is nothing to prevent it.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »
I'm done.  :'(

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
Its simple math. This is not complicated at all and I have stated my case time and time again.

We are screwed royally for at least 20 years. 

You guys want to believe in fairy tales, obama, hope and change, fine delude yourselves from the truth.

The federal govt state govts and city govts have made too many promises to too many people that can't be met. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:41:26 PM »
agreed 33.

and props for not just doing what the rush-heads are doing, just blaming obama.  Nobody credited obama when it rose from 7k to 11k... so when it drops to 10k because of some shit in Greece that Obama can't control, I would hope he couldn't get the blame.

James

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
agreed 33.

and props for not just doing what the rush-heads are doing, just blaming obama.  Nobody credited obama when it rose from 7k to 11k... so when it drops to 10k because of some shit in Greece that Obama can't control, I would hope he couldn't get the blame.

Except for you  ;D

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
agreed 33.

Absolutely right

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:54:56 PM »
Obama is not the problem.  His ideology, those who vote for his ideology, and those clinging to delusions that evertying will be ok are the problem.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »
I credited bush for the thing hitting 14k, that's for sure.

presidents are cheerleaders.  the market is based upon confidence.  The more they sell (real or imaginary), the higher the market goes.

Today was just greece tanking... shit happens that we cannot control

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:57:02 PM »
"Obama is not the problem.  His ideology, those who vote for his ideology, and those clinging to delusions that evertying will be ok are the problem. "

IMO, the problem is that some people think our presidents are any different based upon party. 

What is his "ideology"?  Cause it's pretty damn simliar to Dubya's.  They're all the same dude.

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 04:17:12 PM »
"Obama is not the problem.  His ideology, those who vote for his ideology, and those clinging to delusions that evertying will be ok are the problem. "

IMO, the problem is that some people think our presidents are any different based upon party. 

What is his "ideology"?  Cause it's pretty damn simliar to Dubya's.  They're all the same dude.
I am just not convinced that the president's ideology really matters. They are puppets and don't really make the decisions behind closed doors.

For example Obama in his campaign promised to end the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and then not even 6 months into his presidency started increasing troops in Afghanistan. And look where are they now? Definately not the result of a president that really makes decisions.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »
there was a huge computer glitch that triggered this massive sell off..(still trying to find out what happened)

Well this helped me purchase a stock i really like for a big discount....

Accenture stock went from 40 dollars to 1 cent on the day...

Many trades will be void...

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 04:21:26 PM »
Accenture plc. Class A Ordinary(NYSE: ACN)
After Hours: 40.95  -0.14 (-0.35%) 6:22PM EDT
Last Trade:   41.09
Trade Time:   4:00PM EDT
Change:    1.08 (2.56%)
Prev Close:   42.17
Open:   41.78
Bid:   N/A
Ask:   N/A
1y Target Est:   47.55
Day's Range:   0.04 - 42.30
52wk Range:   0.04 - 44.67
Volume:   10,311,725
Avg Vol (3m):   3,965,610
Market Cap:   26.17B
P/E (ttm):   17.58
EPS (ttm):   2.34
Div & Yield:   0.75 (1.70%)

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »
Obama is not the problem.  His ideology, those who vote for his ideology, and those clinging to delusions that evertying will be ok are the problem.

People voted for change and the end to foreign wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and cleansing the system from the scum on Wall Street. Little did they know that they were voting for a puppet. You know he is a puppet. People are still not realizing that the President of US is a ceremonial position but that he is not the real decision maker.

Until people realize that politicans are puppets they only have themselves to blame. Like Jesse Ventura says there should be an entry on the ballet: No Vote. A vote of no confidence.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »
this weeks sell off is just profit taking.Stuff has run up to much in the last couple weeks etc..

Healthy profit taking...

However, this just goes to show the vulnerability of the markets where one erroneous trade can cause a massive sell-off like this..

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »
Nasdaq cancels all trades 60% away from last print at 2.40 PM.....

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 04:33:45 PM »
Procter & Gamble Company (The) (NYSE: PG)
After Hours: 60.60  -0.15 (-0.25%) 7:17PM EDT
Last Trade:   60.75
Trade Time:   4:00PM EDT
Change:    1.41 (2.27%)
Prev Close:   62.16
Open:   61.91
Day's Range:   39.37 - 62.67

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 04:36:09 PM »
Now NYSE cancels all trades executed between 2.40 and 3.00PM

That sucks..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
Bloomberg radio just said citi confirmed there there was no error in its trading.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »
Bloomberg radio just said citi confirmed there there was no error in its trading.

I think it may have been some High Frequency trading program.

None the less will soon figure it out soon..I'm watching cnbc...

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
I agree with Tito - this was not a sell off - it's something else.

I got out of my longs on April 16th and have been waiting for an opportunity to get back in - I was thinking we'd pull back maybe to 10,300 on the DOW over a week or two.

What we see here is not a bunch of traders getting into a selling panic - it's a bunch of computers getting into a selling panic.

Arbitrage programs will trade off any differences between the S&P 500 futures and the S&P 500 cash. They are one potential suspect. Then there are more regular buy/sell programs just looking to ride market fluctiuations and then of couse there are those 'front running' HFT algorithms which are nothing more than people like Goldman taxing every transaction on the market.

There are supposed to be circuit breakers in place when drops like this happen, I'm not sure why they didn't trigger - for sure, Accenture should not have been able to move down to 1c but if it all happened to quickly, it's understandable. If you look at the chart for Accenture yesterday - it looks like this:

Each of the green vertical bars represents 1 minute of price action. The red vertical bars represent the volume traded in that 1 minute.

Here's the odd thing - you can see the huge move down just after 14:45 EST. What you don't see along with that move is a significant spike in volume. How could price move down so much without an increase in volume ? The only way I can imagine this happening is if there were absolutely no buyers at all - all of that volume would have been on the sell side only. This makes no sense at all.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »
It was the Fed sending a warning that it wont be audited, or else....

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »
I agree with Tito - this was not a sell off - it's something else.

I got out of my longs on April 16th and have been waiting for an opportunity to get back in - I was thinking we'd pull back maybe to 10,300 on the DOW over a week or two.

I'm guilty of this as well. I have been liquidating all my longs positions since the beginning of last week. I sold my last long position on Monday...I'm have a few Leap (puts) on some stocks that i feel are overvalued.  I have been taking profits..

However, something had to have happened....

Apple computer is looking like a strong candidate to buy some put options on...That sucker is pure "beta"...

Yes, these days 70%+ of the volume on the exchanges is computer to computer. You have tons of algorithms ready to trade should a certain condition occur..In example a particular algorithm may sell all its tech stocks should the NASDAQ break 2100 or some other Support level, etc.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »
The Aussie market is down close to 3% and Japan is getting slammed.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 05:35:46 PM »
Some are speculating a huge hedge fund going under, it counter parties officially pulling the plug on it.

Market manipulation by the Rothscholds, NWO...perhaps.. ;D