Author Topic: What's y'all's opinion of...  (Read 3837 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
What's y'all's opinion of...
« on: May 08, 2010, 01:02:07 AM »
Fellas who only do BP comps? It is by far the most popular and practiced lift of the Big 3. I just to do some BP comps bout 10 years ago.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
Re: What's y'all's opinion of...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:01:14 AM »
99% of them are lazy pussies, always looking for excuses as to why they can't squat.

FYI: I've been benching off and on for 21 years now, and only started squatting last December. So only now can I say this with a straight face. :P

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 02:42:09 AM »
I hear ya man! I'm from Columbus, Ohio, home of Westside Barbell, and let's just say that me and a few of my friends who competed in BP comps, were called "bench press f@ggots" many a time :>

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 02:50:28 AM »
I hear ya man! I'm from Columbus, Ohio, home of Westside Barbell, and let's just say that me and a few of my friends who competed in BP comps, were called "bench press f@ggots" many a time :>
And rightfully so! I have called myself a powerlifter for 20 years while doing bench only, and it has taken me this long to realize I was lying to myself. Not to mention pissing on real PLers who actually do all three lifts. Yes, my knees are busted (from cycling, not from lifting). Yes, I have a congenital back problem. So fucking what!? If amputees can squat, then I have no excuse. >:(

I'm too old to make a dent in any seniors competition, but I'm gunning for masters comps. Turning 40 3 years from now, so I have some time to prepare. A 450 raw squat (or "pure", however you want to call no wraps, no belt, no suits) at the end of this year would be a good start. Hit 355 like this was two weeks ago (+385 with belt), so it should be doable. Then a totally raw 600-400-600 at M1, 242 would be great. Currently 280 with 40% bf, so plenty of room to cut. :-[

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »
I dont know, people do what they want. no skin off my nose.

I have to drive an hour or so for any of my "local" comps. and dont want to drive that far for 3 presses, so i enter full power even though a newborn baby can squat as much as me. not like im going pro anytime soon anyway. 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
i have done several bench only comps......but they have just been for local gyms and stuff.....i did it to get free t shirts....

federation wise...i think its a complete joke...

bench

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 08:35:34 PM »
Hey bench! Whats yo stats, if u don't mind me asking? When I was competing bout 10 years ago, I was mostly a 165er, but I sometimes dried out to 148. My PR at 65 was 275 and 255 at 48, both done shirt-free. Just average lifts, but maybe not too bad if u take my height into consideration :> Im 5'11. A friend of mine put up 325 shirt-free in the 132s, pretty strong dude :)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 07:15:51 AM »
Hey bench! Whats yo stats, if u don't mind me asking? When I was competing bout 10 years ago, I was mostly a 165er, but I sometimes dried out to 148. My PR at 65 was 275 and 255 at 48, both done shirt-free. Just average lifts, but maybe not too bad if u take my height into consideration :> Im 5'11. A friend of mine put up 325 shirt-free in the 132s, pretty strong dude :)
i havent competed in a long time....but currently i am 5'10-5'11  237-245lbs......pretty lean,i have abs.......not really sure what my numbers look like at my max right now...

bench

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
Its fine, just dont call yourself a 'powerlifter'. Its disrespectful to the guys who put in the work and effort on all 3 lifts. Even if you do push/pull its not complete, ya know? It fine to throw one in from time to time, but it would be like a 'strongman' coming in and doing their best event and leaving OR a bb'er running up and hitting one pose and feeling good about being 'one of the best up there'.

Not that it matter what anyone thinks. ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 12:15:35 AM »
I hear ya man! And speaking of squats, a fellow member called me out of not doing them, so I told him it's not possible for me since I had 2 surgeries on my left knee due to knee cap dislocations from playing basketball. Well, this dude played Division 1 football for OSU and have gone through 6 or 7 knee surgeries. So at that time he loaded the bar up to 405 and knocked out 10 full clean reps completely RAW :0 What a beast! Also he BPed 600+ Strong dude!

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:54:02 PM »
You know youre a bench fag when Lou himelf calls ya one :)

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
Bet the WABDL would love this thread ;D ;D ;D   ;) ;) ;)
While I'll lift in what ever I can find, be it bench only or push /pull. There really is nothing like a full powerlifting meet!
Masters- 50-54
148#