Author Topic: BP's "Oil Dome" solution fails... TX braces for oil's arrival to coastline  (Read 6440 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
3333?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!

The Cover-up: BP's Crude Politics and the Looming Environmental Mega-Disaster

Written by Wayne Madsen

http://oilprice.com/Environment/Oil-Spills/The-Cover-up-BP-s-Crude-Politics-and-the-Looming-Environmental-Mega-Disaster.html

WMR has been informed by sources in the US Army Corps of Engineers, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and Florida Department of Environmental Protection that the Obama White House and British Petroleum (BP), which pumped $71,000 into Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign -- more than John McCain or Hillary Clinton, are covering up the magnitude of the volcanic-level oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico and working together to limit BP's liability for damage caused by what can be called a "mega-disaster."

Obama and his senior White House staff, as well as Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, are working with BP's chief executive officer Tony Hayward on legislation that would raise the cap on liability for damage claims from those affected by the oil disaster from $75 million to $10 billion. However, WMR's federal and Gulf state sources are reporting the disaster has the real potential cost of at least $1 trillion. Critics of the deal being worked out between Obama and Hayward point out that $10 billion is a mere drop in the bucket for a trillion dollar disaster but also note that BP, if its assets were nationalized, could fetch almost a trillion dollars for compensation purposes. There is talk in some government circles, including FEMA, of the need to nationalize BP in order to compensate those who will ultimately be affected by the worst oil disaster in the history of the world.

Plans by BP to sink a 4-story containment dome over the oil gushing from a gaping chasm one kilometer below the surface of the Gulf, where the oil rig Deepwater Horizon exploded and killed 11 workers on April 20, and reports that one of the leaks has been contained is pure public relations disinformation designed to avoid panic and demands for greater action by the Obama administration, according to FEMA and Corps of Engineers sources. Sources within these agencies say the White House has been resisting releasing any "damaging information" about the oil disaster. They add that if the ocean oil geyser is not stopped within 90 days, there will be irreversible damage to the marine eco-systems of the Gulf of Mexico, north Atlantic Ocean, and beyond. At best, some Corps of Engineers experts say it could take two years to cement the chasm on the floor of the Gulf.

Only after the magnitude of the disaster became evident did Obama order Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to declare the oil disaster a "national security issue." Although the Coast Guard and FEMA are part of her department, Napolitano's actual reasoning for invoking national security was to block media coverage of the immensity of the disaster that is unfolding for the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean and their coastlines.

From the Corps of Engineers, FEMA, the Environmental Protection Agency, Coast Guard, and Gulf state environmental protection agencies, the message is the same: "we've never dealt with anything like this before."

The Obama administration also conspired with BP to fudge the extent of the oil leak, according to our federal and state sources. After the oil rig exploded and sank, the government stated that 42,000 gallons per day was gushing from the seabed chasm.  Five days later, the federal government upped the leakage to 210,000 gallons a day.

However, WMR has been informed that submersibles that are  monitoring the escaping oil from the Gulf seabed are viewing television pictures of what is a "volcanic-like" eruption of oil. Moreover, when the Army Corps of Engineers first attempted to obtain NASA imagery of the Gulf oil slick -- which is larger than that being reported by the media -- it was turned down. However, National Geographic managed to obtain the satellite imagery shots of the extent of the disaster and posted them on their web site.

There is other satellite imagery being withheld by the Obama administration that shows what lies under the gaping chasm spewing oil at an ever-alarming rate is a cavern estimated to be around the size of Mount Everest. This information has been given an almost national security-level classification to keep it from the public, according to our sources.

The Corps and Engineers and FEMA are quietly critical of the lack of support for quick action after the oil disaster by the Obama White House and the US Coast Guard. Only recently, has the Coast Guard understood the magnitude of the disaster, dispatching nearly 70 vessels to the affected area. WMR has also learned that inspections of off-shore rigs' shut-off valves by the Minerals Management Service during the Bush administration were merely rubber-stamp operations, resulting from criminal collusion between Halliburton and the Interior Department's service, and that the potential for similar disasters exists with the other 30,000 off-shore rigs that use the same shut-off valves.

The impact of the disaster became known to the Corps of Engineers and FEMA even before the White House began to take the magnitude of the impending catastrophe seriously. The first casualty of the disaster is the seafood industy, with not just fishermen, oystermen, crabbers, and shrimpers losing their jobs, but all those involved in the restaurant industry, from truckers to waitresses, facing lay-offs.

The invasion of crude oil into estuaries like the oyster-rich Apalachicola Bay in Florida spell disaster for the seafood industry. However, the biggest threat is to Florida's Everglades, which federal and state experts fear will be turned into a "dead zone" if the oil continues to gush forth from the Gulf chasm. There are also expectations that the oil slick will be caught up in the Gulf stream off the eastern seaboard of the United States, fouling beaches and estuaries like the Chesapeake Bay, and ultimately target the rich fishing grounds of the Grand Banks off Newfoundland.

WMR has also learned that 36 urban areas on the Gulf of Mexico are expecting to be confronted with a major disaster from the oil volcano in the next few days. Although protective water surface boons are being laid to protect such sensitive areas as Alabama's Dauphin Island, the mouth of the Mississippi River, and Florida's Apalachicola Bay, Florida, there is only 16 miles of boons available for the protection of 2,276 miles of tidal shoreline in the state of Florida.

Emergency preparations in dealing with the expanding oil menace are now being made for cities and towns from Corpus Christi, Texas, to Houston, New Orleans, Gulfport, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa-St.Petersburg-Clearwater, Sarasota-Bradenton, Naples, and Key West. Some 36 FEMA-funded contracts between cities, towns, and counties and emergency workers are due to be invoked within days, if not hours, according to WMR's FEMA sources.

There are plans to evacuate people with respiratory problems, especially those among the retired senior population along the west coast of Florida, before officials begin burning surface oil as it begins to near the coastline.

There is another major threat looming for inland towns and cities. With hurricane season in effect, there is a potential for ocean oil to be picked up by hurricane-driven rains and dropped into fresh water lakes and rivers, far from the ocean, thus adding to the pollution of water supplies and eco-systems.

:-\

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
What is your question?  

lol, for real?  my last post to you? and actually several questions went unanswered.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bro - I'm juggling 20 things this am.  Restate it please. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Bro - I'm juggling 20 things this am.  Restate it please. 

::) you can't hit page 1 and read my post?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
wait, if you would like I'll wait till you don't have a lot to do and talk about this.  Let me know; will that be tomorrow or when?  I'll then bump the thread and we can talk about it later.  But I'm going to feel a little bullshited if you post all day on other subjects but had to much going on to reply for this lol...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The answer to your question is again that I am happy he is not out there with the hard hat and helicopter.  

However, if this thing is a national security threat, then it is his job to take action of some sort.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
The answer to your question is again that I am happy he is not out there with the hard hat and helicopter.  

However, if this thing is a national security threat, then it is his job to take action of some sort.
they have called National Security over much much less. If you need me to back that up, just say so.  So what does that say about this situation?  We have industry threatened in several states, easily what they have called in the National Security in the past.

So, even you have two eyes.  We have a situation that is threatening industry over several states, should the feds/obama, with our tax dollars, step in?

Yes that last question is one I'm putting to you directly 3333, please let me know.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yes, because at this point, it will probably cost a ton more when the states need their own bailout to deal with this.  But I dont even know what the Fed Gov could do at this point.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Yes, because at this point, it will probably cost a ton more when the states need their own bailout to deal with this.  But I dont even know what the Fed Gov could do at this point.

are you now saying that the President of the United States could not do more than BP?  Really?  I tend to think he has the power to call in more power on this than BP has at hand.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
And do what? 

you are assuming that they have an answer in dealing with this that BP does not. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
And do what? 

you are assuming that they have an answer in dealing with this that BP does not. 
we obviously have powers to assist in ways no fucking single business on earth could. ::)  You're not that fucking stupid are you?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Of course, but I really dont think the Fed Gov knows and more what to do than BP does at this point. 

Send a few carriers over there?  To do what?  Send some submarines?  to do what? 

Coast Guard?  for what? 

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
People were told:

1.  Leave  - they were warned almost a week in advance.  

2.  If you were going to stay - have at least 72 hours or 5 days worth of provisions on hand.  If you look at the response from the Feds, had the people who stayed followed that, they would have been ok.  

But thats' not what happened.  Instead, we had this crap:

# where the hell you are going with this comment is beyond me, but as Hugo says you are certainly avoiding answering the question.

You seem to have forgotten that hurricane Katrina turned into a category 5 the night before it hit. Prior to it was a cat 3 of which people had gone through many times. Some said they wanted to stay the vast majority wanted to leave, but you seem to have forgotten BLACK WATER/FEMA got involved in New Orleans and stopped all Amtrak, air line, Greyhound, private bus service and even school buses from transporting the people out of New Orleans.

Multiple hospitals killed the patients instead of having them transported out to other cities further inland claiming they couldn't get them transported out in time. If they had a weeks notice how come they did not move the patients earlier? So far as the massive flooding, I already said on this board that people need to watch the documentary WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE to find out what really happened in New Orleans during Katrina: Blackwater shooting people, forcing many who were leaving the city to turn back, reversed the pumps to pump water out of Lake Pontchartrain into New Orleans to increase flooding, blow up the levee (multiple residue of explosives found on the levee) which caused massive flooding. In case you did not see the video of Katrina (which is impossible) the water rose to the roofs of homes...what good would having any provisions have done? People did not even have proper sanitation or clean water. How would you open can goods without a can opener? What water could you use for dry goods? With flooding that bad even if you had these things the flooding water would have washed the provisions right out of your home.

So farr as condemning people...right now it seems there has never really been a natural disaster in New York for a long time. But at some point an event has to happen...I want to see what you do when it does. It is easy to quarter back from the side lines...it is another thing when you are on the field.
C

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The people were told a week in advance to leave and have 72 hours to 96 hours worth of provisions on hand. 

Sorry, I have no sympathy for those people who did not heed the warnings or did not prepare. 

They gambled and lost, tough shit. 

Also, how is blackwater and fema at fault for this:

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
What a nightmare. So now what, call Superman?

IRON MAN
C

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
What's funny is the shift that happened after Katrina.  Before Katrina, many right leaning people argued for their right to say fuck the government and do what they want.  There were even rightwingers that supported the few that stayed at Mt St. Helens after the warning...  guys like Harry Truman where somewhat honored for their choice to stay.  Yea, many including myself felt it was tragic but still felt that was his right to stay.  Katrina changed all that.  All of a sudden when it was black and poor faces, they outright blamed them for not leaving.  Just ironic, nothing more.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I'm not blaming them for not leaving.  I'm blaming them for being helpless lazy idiots for not preparing for what they were told was coming. 

Did you see some of the "men" in the aftermath?  They acted like freaking cry babies, animals, and your stereotypical ghetto thug. 

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
The people were told a week in advance to leave and have 72 hours to 96 hours worth of provisions on hand. 

Sorry, I have no sympathy for those people who did not heed the warnings or did not prepare. 

Also, how is blackwater and fema at fault for this:

Nice attitude to have 3 toward a calamity

A week in advance the storm was a category 1 with no real sense of where it was going to go and no need to leave New Orleans or have any provisions. The storm escalated from 2 to 5 in two days which by then FEMA/BLACKWATER had suspended transportation into and out of New Orleans even though there was plenty of time to move people elsewhere. Ground traffic was also suspended so people could not even drive out of the city.

How is it Fema/Balackwaters fault...I already explained it...Did you not read it?
C

SAMSON123

• Getbig V

author=333386 link=topic=330231.msg4713268#msg4713268 date=1273513434]
I'm not blaming them for not leaving. 

Yes you are..the whole crux of your anger toward them is the fact that you say they stayed after supposed warnings.

I'm blaming them for being helpless lazy idiots for not preparing for what they were told was coming. 

Can not the same be said of New Yorkers who were "surprised" by the 911 attacks. I guess one could say hey you guys should have been prepared, because the building was attacked in 1993 and therefor you should have known it would have happened again, but being the lazy stupid New Yorkers you are, you deserved that...

Did you see some of the "men" in the aftermath?  They acted like freaking cry babies, animals, and your stereotypical ghetto thug. 

No three I did not see men acting like cry babies. What I saw were people who were in a literal HELL OR HIGH WATER condition with no means of survival. People who had watched their mothers, fathers, children, possessions washed away or drowned under the water. The world saw a people operating without food, clean water, proper sanitation or help of any kind whatsoever. We watched people wading in water chest high trying to find dry land or high ground, the world saw a country do NOTHING to help resolve the situation and as a matter of fact made matter worst, especially after many nations offered their services and america told them NO!!!

You will have your turn

C

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
I'm not blaming them for not leaving.  I'm blaming them for being helpless lazy idiots for not preparing for what they were told was coming. 

you've changed your story several times in this thread....  What's up 3333?  First you're blaming Obama, then you're not blaming Obama, then you're blaming the people, then you're not blaming the people but still blaming the people...  I would have an easier time understanding crazies on the psycho ward :D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
What's funny is the shift that happened after Katrina.  Before Katrina, many right leaning people argued for their right to say fuck the government and do what they want.  There were even rightwingers that supported the few that stayed at Mt St. Helens after the warning...  guys like Harry Truman where somewhat honored for their choice to stay.  Yea, many including myself felt it was tragic but still felt that was his right to stay.  Katrina changed all that.  All of a sudden when it was black and poor faces, they outright blamed them for not leaving.  Just ironic, nothing more.
I think you really misunderstand the viewpoint of most conservatives...most are for accountability and responsibility i.e.

IF you choose to stay against all better judgement and reasoning you should be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions. You should have plans for worst case scenarios, you should have supplies, you should be ready to use both in case you need them.

you shouldnt whine and complain and expect others to come to your rescue for a decision that you yourself made...ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!!!!!!!

that being said I dont think katrina and its aftermath could have been a likely reasonable outcome in most ppls minds.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I may, and it might happen, but I have enough provisions on hand to get through most things, and if I were there, I would have had plenty to get me through.  The bottom line is that at the end of the day you and everyone else is on their own.  People were told to have 72 hours of provisions on hand.  Had they done so, they wouldnt have had to do a Dawn of the Dead like Zombie march over to the Superdome which in itself was a disgrace.  

And please - 911 is not the same as Katrina.  

The people in the buildings were not told a week in advance that an attack was coming.  

If you want to blame them for working there in the first place, that is another argument altogether.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
you've changed your story several times in this thread....  What's up 3333?  First you're blaming Obama, then you're not blaming Obama, then you're blaming the people, then you're not blaming the people but still blaming the people...  I would have an easier time understanding crazies on the psycho ward :D

My blaming "obama" was a joke.  I dont blame him at all for the oil situation, unlike the people who blamed Bush for Katrina.