Author Topic: Science vs the Bible  (Read 15709 times)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Re: Science vs the Bible
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2010, 08:03:15 AM »
I see a lot of unbelievers here feel that science and the Christian Bible are at odds w/each other.

Other than the theory of (macro) evolution, what aspects of science do you feel are in opposition to the bible?

Demon possession. Bible says it's real, science says it isn't. It is most likely early man's first attempt at trying to understand the psychiatrically ill.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
probably the bible never explains how god got created, he just exists??? 

Yes.  He is referred to as the Eternal God.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2010, 08:07:56 AM »
It is generally agreed upon with Biblical scholars and with various denominations. Genesis claims that everything came into being within 6 days, including man (Adam). In the New Testament, we learn that Adam is a great grandfather of many generations to Jesus (it is listed in its entirety in one of the first 4 books, I believe the book of John). From this, a ball park figure of no more than 4 thousand years is possible, add that Jesus died roughly 2 thousand years ago, and you get 6 thousand years.

Some people do believe that the earth is around 6000 years old but the bible does not state that.

I think less people believe that the universe is around 6000 years old (bible doesn't state that either).

What does seem to be about 6000 years old according to the bible imo, is LIFE on earth as we know it. 
R

theonlyone

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2010, 08:09:52 AM »
 Not to sound smart but I did not understand where exactly it’s claimed the universe is 6000 years old?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Demon possession. Bible says it's real, science says it isn't. It is most likely early man's first attempt at trying to understand the psychiatrically ill.

This is kind of along the lines of what I was asking for....but not exactly.... What I was really wanting to see is some type of scripture statement that is provably scientifically inaccurate. 

The scientists that do not believe in demons cannot prove that they don't exist or possess people...see what I mean?
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2010, 08:17:26 AM »
Not to sound smart but I did not understand where exactly it’s claimed the universe is 6000 years old?

It's not.  As I think you know it is a common misconception among some people..... both believers and unbelievers.

The thing I find fascinating is that some people that claim against the 6000 years of creation, whether it be life, earth or whatever, seem to have strong faith in carbon dating, geological column etc....which they have read about or been told about and never seen firsthand in their lives......see?  Faith.   We all have faith...but sometimes it is in different things.

R

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2010, 08:25:56 AM »
Some people do believe that the earth is around 6000 years old but the bible does not state that.

I think less people believe that the universe is around 6000 years old (bible doesn't state that either).

What does seem to be about 6000 years old according to the bible imo, is LIFE on earth as we know it. 

There are christians that would disagree with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_date.htm

http://www.christianity.co.nz/science5.htm

http://www.christiananswers.net/creation/menu-age.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100509194632AAmgUch

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2010, 08:31:56 AM »
R

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2010, 08:35:25 AM »
The thing I find fascinating is that some people that claim against the 6000 years of creation, whether it be life, earth or whatever, seem to have strong faith in carbon dating, geological column etc....which they have read about or been told about and never seen firsthand in their lives......see?  Faith.   We all have faith...but sometimes it is in different things.

There is more rationale behind modern geology than ancient testimony.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2010, 08:40:05 AM »
Is the Trojan is gone?  I'm skeered to click on any links....can you just post up what scripture they are referring to saying that the universe is 6000 years old?

In a nutshell, there are christians in modern day society that believe in a young earth/universe. They get that interpretation from the Bible. So, it's a real argument to bring up, perhaps not geared toward yourself.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2010, 09:00:23 AM »
In a nutshell, there are christians in modern day society that believe in a young earth/universe. They get that interpretation from the Bible. So, it's a real argument to bring up, perhaps not geared toward yourself.

Yep I know there are some believers who hold to a young earth theory (and some to a young universe theory).  I know where they are coming from though.  But it's just not specifically stated that way in the bible...

R

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
Yes.  He is referred to as the Eternal God.

I don't understand?  He just was always there?  What did he come from, the argument he is eternal just doesn't make any sense just an excuse to me.

TEAM Nasser

theonlyone

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2010, 06:49:02 AM »
I don't understand?  He just was always there?  What did he come from, the argument he is eternal just doesn't make any sense just an excuse to me.

There is a girl named Knives on the forums she's gonna dedicate her life to unveiling all life's mysteries as she's said, she's gonna be a scientist. I think she will find out what did God come from.
 As for you asking such questions. God being eternal is an excuse right? Nothing is possible to have been called the eternal. But if there is nothing being eternal how comes that word is used and somewhat comprehended?

theonlyone

« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2010, 06:50:11 AM »
 As for the demons. Since you all a wanna be scientists are done with reading "The Idiot" by Fedor Dostoevskiy now I suggest to read "The possessed" also written by him. It's exactly about the demons that possess the people.

Dostoyevsky is acknowledged by critics as one of the greatest psychologists in world literature. They were polite and didn't call him the greatest. :-X

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2010, 07:27:30 AM »
The burden of proof is upon you to show God is real, because you make such claim.

I can tell you that the boogy monster in my closet is real, but without proof you probably would not be so inclined to share my opinion.  Also, you would know that your inability to disprove the boogy monster does not constitute or justify the boogy monster's existence.

theonlyone

« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2010, 04:53:44 AM »
 What, then, about the proofs of God's existence, of which, as is known, there are exactly five?'
 'Alas!' An idiot wanna be scientist said with regret. 'Not one of these proofs is worth
anything, and mankind shelved them long ago. You must agree that in the realm of reason there can be no proof of God's existence.'
 'Bravo!' cried the foreigner. 'Bravo! You have perfectly repeated restless old Immanuel Kant's thought in this regard. But here's the hitch: he roundly demolished all five proofs, and then, as if mocking himself, constructed a sixth of his own.'

I mean you ain't no Immanuel...

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2010, 06:40:55 AM »
theonlyone has a closed mind and can't process alternative explanations, so he reverts to insults, jabs and misquotes.

Seriously. It's like trying to reason with a 5 year old. My intial posts weren't even directed to this asshole.

theonlyone

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2010, 09:15:05 AM »
  If only real life was so easy as saying - it's like trying to reason with a 5 year old. Know bedbug who you talkin to

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2010, 02:06:56 AM »
 If only real life was so easy as saying - it's like trying to reason with a 5 year old. Know bedbug who you talkin to

Hey since you're so peppy and full of zest (and claiming nonbelievers have low IQ's) what is your educational background? which universities did you finish, what degrees do you hold, oh and lastly what is your occupation!?

since you live in a little town I am sure you must be someone of great importance like the mayor, or maybe salesman, or possibly waiter or server in a bar !?!? tell us please, what distinguished position do you hold for a job !?

theonlyone

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2010, 04:20:19 AM »
 Your question would have been answered if we were face to face гомодрил узколобый

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2010, 04:47:01 PM »
the above post proves that religious folks cant come up with 1 original thought

they either

1) constantly recite crap from a old book
2) copy n paste points other have already made
carpe` vaginum!

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »
tell me theonlyone, what are my views/belief about god?

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
tell me theonlyone, what are my views/belief about god?

dont force him think man.....

errr...wait....

he'll just copy n paste stuff from the holy book  :D
carpe` vaginum!

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2010, 10:14:12 PM »
if he can think and state something tangiblr, I will give him some credit.  we'll see

theonlyone

« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2010, 02:01:59 AM »
  Hold on, I'm still pondering what does "A bar trivia guru" prove... :-X