Author Topic: Science vs the Bible  (Read 15613 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Science vs the Bible
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:08:54 AM »
I see a lot of unbelievers here feel that science and the Christian Bible are at odds w/each other.

Other than the theory of (macro) evolution, what aspects of science do you feel are in opposition to the bible?
R

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: Science vs the Bible
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
uncertanity principle and jesus

uncertanity principle in VERY simple terms says that an object cannot be in 2 places at the same time

so how ws jesus(god) here on earth and also running the rest of the universe....

also quantum uncertanity

ie..you cannot know for SURE if an event is gonna happen until its happends already.  Lets look at gods existance as an event. christians believe that God exists with certanity? How do you know that the universe we exist in needs a god for it to exist? you simply dont....what if the universe we exist in has a physical law that states that the only way for it to exist is that god cannot exist (yes ...more and more scientists now believe that we live in a multiverse)
carpe` vaginum!

theonlyone

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
 Yawn, a bit later

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
uncertanity principle and jesus

uncertanity principle in VERY simple terms says that an object cannot be in 2 places at the same time

so how ws jesus(god) here on earth and also running the rest of the universe....

also quantum uncertanity

ie..you cannot know for SURE if an event is gonna happen until its happends already.  Lets look at gods existance as an event. christians believe that God exists with certanity? How do you know that the universe we exist in needs a god for it to exist? you simply dont....what if the universe we exist in has a physical law that states that the only way for it to exist is that god cannot exist (yes ...more and more scientists now believe that we live in a multiverse)

Toxi,

Ask your parents about these verses in the Old Testament:

Genesis 1:26
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness

Genesis 18:1-2,8
The LORD appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day. 2 Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground.
8 He then brought some curds and milk and the calf that had been prepared, and set these before them. While they ate, he stood near them under a tree.

Genesis 19:24
Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens.

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:18:34 AM »
But also, Toxy, God/Jesus/Holy Spirit = Supernatural = not bound by natural law.

Are there other science vs bible connundrums that bother you?
R

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »
But also, Toxy, God/Jesus/Holy Spirit = Supernatural = not bound by natural law.

Are there other science vs bible connundrums that bother you?

everything is bound by natural law...but i'm watching a cricket game right now...i WILL post more on this during the weekend :)
carpe` vaginum!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »

everything is bound by natural law...but i'm watching a cricket game right now...i WILL post more on this during the weekend :)

If you are talking about not making a square circle I see what you are saying but regarding His being omnipresent I believe God is not bound by time or space...plus I wonder what you think about different dimensions?   LIke can something exist in different dimensions at the same time?  Or would that still be considered as being in the same place ???

Have fun watching the game :)
R

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »
I see a lot of unbelievers here feel that science and the Christian Bible are at odds w/each other.

Other than the theory of (macro) evolution, what aspects of science do you feel are in opposition to the bible?

In science one only entertains theories and hypotheses that can be proven by experimental evidence. Theories such as evolution and the big bang (cosmology) are widely accepted in the scientific community rather than intelligent design because they can better explain what we observe experimentally. In science one makes a theory to describe what we observe, and then as we discover more things or find inadequacies in the theory, it is thrown out and replaced or refined to better fit what we observe.

In religion one must accept what one is told or reads based on faith, generally due to indoctrination from the time of youth, because one's family tells one what to believe, or he or she is too scared to believe otherwise (ie: fear of not knowing what happens after death).

As an aspiring professional scientist (I will begin graduate studies next month), I have to admit that science and religion are necessarily at odds. Although there are plenty of scientists who believe in God, it is simply in stark contrast to the very nature of scientific investigation to simply believe something for which there is no evidence. Thousands of years ago when the earth seemed flat and the sky seemed unreachable, it seemed likely that an intelligent being created life, that heaven is in the sky, etc, but with scientific advancement those notions have long been supplanted.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 03:56:13 PM »
If you are talking about not making a square circle I see what you are saying but regarding His being omnipresent I believe God is not bound by time or space...plus I wonder what you think about different dimensions?   LIke can something exist in different dimensions at the same time?  Or would that still be considered as being in the same place ???

Have fun watching the game :)

we lost  >:(

anyhoo...god isn't bound by time and space in the koran either...

stells yes things can exist in different dimentions..we as humans exist in 4 dimentions...3 spacial dimentions (length , breadth and height) and 1 time dimention.

according to string theory..there r 13 and some say upwards of 20 dimentions...

some UFOlogists speculate that aliens and UFOs r inter dimentional beings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdimensional_hypothesis
carpe` vaginum!

theonlyone

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 12:10:06 AM »
 So as of yet the low iq none believers have come with the following?

1) Uncertanity principle - an object cannot be in 2 places at the same time

2) More and more scientists now believe that we live in a multiverse

3) Everything is bound by natural law but i'm watching a cricket game right now

4) As an aspiring professional scientist I

5) To simply believe something for which there is no evidence

6) But with scientific advancement those notions have long been supplanted

7) We as humans exist in 4 dimentions...3 spacial dimentions (length , breadth and height) and 1 time dimention.

8 According to string theory..there r 13 and some say upwards of 20 dimentions...

9) Written by a primitive people scared of natural phenomena like lightning, eqarthquakes, floods, etc.

10) In religion one must accept what one is told because one's family tells one what to believe

11) Wikipedia

12) Youtube

I know for sure there will more very and very convincing points, it's already so convincing that makes me dizzy.

mental_masturbator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 03:45:28 AM »
At it's core, the Bible is a book about relationships.  It's a story about relationships of faith  that people enter into with God and with one another, "covenants".  Although the people who wrote scripture may have been limited in scientific knowledge of the world around them, that doesn't necessarily mean that they were limited in the ability to know God.  To expect the Bible to present a detached, scientific view of the universe is to put one's faith in the wrong thing.  

theonlyone

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 05:42:56 AM »
At it's core, the Bible is a book about relationships.  It's a story about relationships of faith  that people enter into with God and with one another, "covenants".  Although the people who wrote scripture may have been limited in scientific knowledge of the world around them, that doesn't necessarily mean that they were limited in the ability to know God.  To expect the Bible to present a detached, scientific view of the universe is to put one's faith in the wrong thing.  

Twisty but spot on. Nice name!

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 06:18:42 AM »
So as of yet the low iq none believers have come with the following?
 I know for sure there will more very and very convincing points, it's already so convincing that makes me dizzy.

Can you actually post in a thread without insulting and demeaning someone? 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 08:22:41 AM »

its god way you see....

he is showing religions true colours!
carpe` vaginum!

theonlyone

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 09:38:25 AM »

Who exactly by name have I insulted? Be spesific my 2 degrees friend

theonlyone

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »
 I'm waiting for the 13th! :-X

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »
Who exactly by name have I insulted? Be spesific my 2 degrees friend

There are clowns out there who in their perverted fantasies would want through the bible or the teaching of christ to see photos/videos and explanatory report as to how the things are on the planets in the universe with intelligent lives. Before that think about may do those consider you no smarter than a shelf or a plate of spaghetti as it does for you before dealing with humanity. Buy the friggin telescope

Though it's a bb related site it would be interestig to see the face photos say of TA and CE, it's very interesting how one should look like to spit such a nonsense on a regular basis. rofl
carpe` vaginum!

theonlyone

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »

Who is TA and CE? And who are those clowns out there by name?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 10:17:51 AM »
In science one only entertains theories and hypotheses that can be proven by experimental evidence. Theories such as evolution and the big bang (cosmology) are widely accepted in the scientific community rather than intelligent design because they can better explain what we observe experimentally. In science one makes a theory to describe what we observe, and then as we discover more things or find inadequacies in the theory, it is thrown out and replaced or refined to better fit what we observe.

In religion one must accept what one is told or reads based on faith, generally due to indoctrination from the time of youth, because one's family tells one what to believe, or he or she is too scared to believe otherwise (ie: fear of not knowing what happens after death).

As an aspiring professional scientist (I will begin graduate studies next month), I have to admit that science and religion are necessarily at odds. Although there are plenty of scientists who believe in God, it is simply in stark contrast to the very nature of scientific investigation to simply believe something for which there is no evidence. Thousands of years ago when the earth seemed flat and the sky seemed unreachable, it seemed likely that an intelligent being created life, that heaven is in the sky, etc, but with scientific advancement those notions have long been supplanted.
they do not have to be at odds it just depends on how you look at them...religion can indeed be experimented on...death is its experiment.

as an aspiring scientist you should be keenly aware that not having proof doesnt disprove a theory, so why do you believe that there is no God when you have no proof?

not proving the null does not prove the alternative...so what is your proof that God doesnt exist?

theonlyone

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »
religion can indeed be experimented on...death is its experiment.

8)

theonlyone

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
so why do you believe that their is no God when you have no proof?

IF you knew that you do believe in God then you would be believing. But since you still don't know that you do believe in God then you do not believe.

F. Dostoevskiy

theonlyone

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »
 Can't focking stand hypocrits and idiots.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
Who is TA and CE? And who are those clowns out there by name?

you r the one mentioning TA and CE...

1) either by TA you mean me

OR

2) you r a dumbass that talks about people that dont exist
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
Stella I know you weren't asking me,  :) but I don't think the Bible is inconsistent with science.  The Bible isn't a science book.  

You asked a good question.  Still, given that the Bible isn't a science book, it's sort of hard to compare scientific theories with most of what is written in the Bible.  At least that's the way I see it.  

theonlyone

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 10:53:39 AM »
you r the one mentioning TA and CE...

1) either by TA you mean me

OR

2) you r a dumbass that talks about people that dont exist

There is a boy going by the name TA in my neibourhood