Author Topic: Back Pain  (Read 10300 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Back Pain
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 06:33:36 AM »
Something else to try that is cheap, are the foam rollers.  Get a fairly firm one.  A few years ago a bunch of the Carolina Hurricanes started stopping in and ordering them, so I gave one a shot.....they can bring some good relief too.

Thanks, Show.  I hadn't thought of that.  I'll google it up.

I once used a tennis ball under me on the bed to try to locate the muscle in spasm on my upper back and concentrate on relaxing it.  Sounds kooky but it seemed to help.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 06:33:57 AM »
Damn you guys are making me feel small.  I never buckled or collapsed.  I just freeze and make an involuntary hungnhghnn sound.  And 585?  I consider deads one of my better lifts (although I might be backing off for awhile) but that is not a number which I come anywhere near for 1, nevermind 5!

Tried a little yoga-like stuff at home today.  Couldn't do much but the stretching seemed to help for a short time afterwards.
Yea study the yoga movements these really help, bascically now when I have a flair up I do stretches and yoga. Another good thing is to hang from a chin bar with weight attached this lengthens the spine taking away pressure.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 06:35:39 AM »
Inversion table worked for me....but losing 20lbs helped also.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 06:36:15 AM »
Thanks, Show.  I hadn't thought of that.  I'll google it up.

I once used a tennis ball under me on the bed to try to locate the muscle in spasm on my upper back and concentrate on relaxing it.  Sounds kooky but it seemed to help.

Not kooky at all, same principle as the rollers.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 06:39:34 AM »
Been living with a dodgy lower back for years. The one thing I found that really helps is doing those standing stick twists. Keeps the area loose and fluid. And I don't use a belt to squat anymore. Haven't had an episode in a long while. *crosses fingers*  

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 06:41:56 AM »
Been living with a dodgy lower back for years. The one thing I found that really helps is doing those standing stick twists. Keeps the area loose and fluid. And I don't use a belt to squat anymore. Haven't had an episode in a long while. *crosses fingers*  
I never use a belt for squats, they strengthen the lower back if done properly. A belt takes away from this unless you powerlift no need for a belt.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
Yea study the yoga movements these really help, bascically now when I have a flair up I do stretches and yoga. Another good thing is to hang from a chin bar with weight attached this lengthens the spine taking away pressure.

These pills work pretty good when you double the dose and then take them with a double dose of some other pills and then a few glasses of bourbon.  Didn't have much luck hanging earlier today but might go give it another shot in a minute, assuming I can still grip the bar at this point.

Inversion table worked for me....but losing 20lbs helped also.

Tbh I have put on some weight recently because I'm hellbent on nailing a few lifts.  Probably not 20% but definitely over 15.  Better change my name to The Slug.

Not kooky at all, same principle as the rollers.

Good thing I have my faggoty foam barbell pad!  ;D

No, I'll get a proper one.

Ya, I seem to have a history of thinking I'm still 18, never thinking about prehab until it's time for rehab, etc.  Definitely time to accept that workout time is going to have to include warmup and stretching time, and not some bullshit 60 second good-enough nonsense.  Sounds like a good one to incorporate, doc.  My rotational strength and range of motion is pretty poor.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 07:04:20 AM »
Stop doing all leg and lower back training for a month and get 2-3 deep tissue massages (the non-tbombz kind) a week for a month.

Also, consider chiropractic (if you don't already have one try one that does x-rays).

R

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 07:12:21 AM »
Stop doing all leg and lower back training for a month and get 2-3 deep tissue massages (the non-tbombz kind) a week for a month.

Also, consider chiropractic (if you don't already have one try one that does x-rays).

Yes, I deserve a massage!  There's a sports massage place just up the road from me.  Too easy.

And will definitely hold off on lower half training until I know what's up.  As the curse of the chickenlegs continues.  ugh.

Cheers, Stella.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 07:16:47 AM »
The reality is that as you get older heavy lifting is less and less of a good idea. Why? Because as we age, muscles get tighter viz. less flexibility, and muscle strains become more prevalent.

For overall back health, may I suggest a firm mattress. They're generally rated from 1-5 with 1 being the firmest. A 2 is the way to go.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 07:33:08 AM »
lol have the same problem today - deadlifted and now I cannot move

Earlier today when I came home I dropped my keys - for a second I thought about the pain in my lower back and said fuck it I don't think I will be able to pick them up.
So I kicked them to the frontdoor one bit at a time, that neighbor who got out of the car looked at me like I am crazy when I asked him if he can please pick them up :D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 07:34:17 AM »
, that neighbor who got out of the car looked at me like I am crazy when I asked him if he can please pick them up :D

;D
R

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 08:06:55 AM »
As you get older you do gradually "shrink" in height,all those years of gravity compressing your spine until finally something touches a nerve.First time i used inversion boots it felt weird within seconds,all the blood rushes to the head,and as i hung down my fingertips were about an inch off the floor.Next morning one side of my hip was sore,like it was dropping back into place,but i used them again and the next morning the opposite hip was sore.Only this time my fingers were now touching the floor and when i got down the back pain was virtually gone.I was 44 the first time i used them,wish i`d have had them 20 years ago.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 08:09:04 AM »
As you get older you do gradually "shrink" in height,all those years of gravity compressing your spine until finally something touches a nerve.First time i used inversion boots it felt weird within seconds,all the blood rushes to the head,and as i hung down my fingertips were about an inch off the floor.Next morning one side of my hip was sore,like it was dropping back into place,but i used them again and the next morning the opposite hip was sore.Only this time my fingers were now touching the floor and when i got down the back pain was virtually gone.I was 44 the first time i used them,wish i`d have had them 20 years ago.

Very true.  Out of curiosity one day, I measured myself before and after the inversion table.....it was almost an inch difference.  It didn't stay that way of course, but just puts things in perspective aboud how much our spine is compressed.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 08:41:01 AM »
Give it some rest - first stage for 1 to 3 months (depending on how bad it is) - dont do any bent over rows, seated cable rows, squats, leg press (unless they are partials), rear lateral raises (unless you are lying on a bench), or even heavy dumbell presses or shrugs or anthing where you have to yank heavy dumbells or pick them up from the rack - you get the idea, anything where your back is bent over with weight interferes with the rest stage.  A typical back workout can be: lat pulldowns or chinups, hammer strength rows (since you chest is resting against a pad), followed by t-bar rows (the kind where your chest is pressed against a pad too, and dumbell pullovers.  None of these exercises put much strain on your lower back.

After a little while start to do hyperextensions and/or light weight on the lower back machine where yous it and push a pad backwards which rests on your upper back and start light deadlifts like 135 to 225 lbs.

Listen to your body, when when you think you're ready more or less go back to your normal workouts, but probably still do hack squats (or even front squats) instead of traditional squats, deadlift a bit lighter than usual but with more strict form and higher reps, etc.

And always stretch it,  practically every time you are in the gym.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 09:37:22 AM »
The reality is that as you get older heavy lifting is less and less of a good idea. Why? Because as we age, muscles get tighter viz. less flexibility, and muscle strains become more prevalent.

For overall back health, may I suggest a firm mattress. They're generally rated from 1-5 with 1 being the firmest. A 2 is the way to go.

My flexibility is for shit, I admit.  And everytime I approach a max, or run with an under 5 rep protocol, something goes wrong somewhere.  You'd think I'd learn to stay over 6 reps and be patient.  'I ought to have my head examined.'

My mattress is an overpriced piece of shit.  I'd like to get my hands on the guy.  Been meaning to go shopping.

lol have the same problem today - deadlifted and now I cannot move

Earlier today when I came home I dropped my keys - for a second I thought about the pain in my lower back and said fuck it I don't think I will be able to pick them up.
So I kicked them to the frontdoor one bit at a time, that neighbor who got out of the car looked at me like I am crazy when I asked him if he can please pick them up :D

I have a neighbor but I don't want her to know I'm in a weakened condition.  :-X

I know you want to get your magic number but let's get there slower, bro.  For the love of God man, think of the children!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
My flexibility is for shit, I admit.  And everytime I approach a max, or run with an under 5 rep protocol, something goes wrong somewhere.  You'd think I'd learn to stay over 6 reps and be patient.  'I ought to have my head examined.'

My mattress is an overpriced piece of shit.  I'd like to get my hands on the guy.  Been meaning to go shopping.

I have a neighbor but I don't want her to know I'm in a weakened condition.  :-X

I know you want to get your magic number but let's get there slower, bro.  For the love of God man, think of the children!
Just contact Ship he will beat the guys ass over the mattress deal.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »

This sounds very promising.  I'm 37 and can't spare an inch.  These backward Aussies are bound to have one somewhere so I'll see if I can track it down for a trial run.

Give it some rest - first stage for 1 to 3 months (depending on how bad it is) - dont do any bent over rows, seated cable rows, squats, leg press (unless they are partials), rear lateral raises (unless you are lying on a bench), or even heavy dumbell presses or shrugs or anthing where you have to yank heavy dumbells or pick them up from the rack - you get the idea, anything where your back is bent over with weight interferes with the rest stage.  A typical back workout can be: lat pulldowns or chinups, hammer strength rows (since you chest is resting against a pad), followed by t-bar rows (the kind where your chest is pressed against a pad too, and dumbell pullovers.  None of these exercises put much strain on your lower back.

After a little while start to do hyperextensions and/or light weight on the lower back machine where yous it and push a pad backwards which rests on your upper back and start light deadlifts like 135 to 225 lbs.

Listen to your body, when when you think you're ready more or less go back to your normal workouts, but probably still do hack squats (or even front squats) instead of traditional squats, deadlift a bit lighter than usual but with more strict form and higher reps, etc.

And always stretch it,  practically every time you are in the gym.

Cheers Bob.  Ya I'll lay off anything that stresses the area until I'm feeling confident, and then come back slow and careful.  

Honestly, it's not that bad.  I can pick things up just fine mostly.  It's bending the other way that seems to be the main issue, arching my back and sticking my stomach out or even just getting straight.  Like lying down on the flat bench didn't go well earlier.  

I lift at home which is probably for the best since I obviously have enough ego issues without trying to impress cardio bunnies.  I've got a rack and a multistation tho so I can find some of the options that you mentioned.  I'll have to make a rule that if I don't do the warmup I don't do the workout, and it ain't over until the stretching is done.

What's so weird is that I thought I made a full recovery, no soreness or anything for a week, and then just woke up fucked a week later.  And the worst part is that I can't even remember if it was a nice & dirty dream.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 10:13:31 AM »
Just contact Ship he will beat the guys ass over the mattress deal.

That's good thinking.  The fucking thing was probably made in asia!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 10:01:05 AM »
Bump

Had a few sessions today lying inverted on one of my planks tilted at varying degrees, boots wrapped in straps, chains, carabiners, etc.  It helped a lot.  Feels like I'm standing up straight now, no pain while out walking around, big difference.  The only drag was when I'd sit up to reach my feet and there'd be a jolt as I passed horizontal, but it didn't follow me around.

Moral of the story is: going to get an inversion table and see how I fare.  And keep away from lower back work for awhile, of course.  Thanks for the advice.  Getbig continues to deliver!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 10:02:56 AM »
Bump

Had a few sessions today lying inverted on one of my planks tilted at varying degrees, boots wrapped in straps, chains, carabiners, etc.  It helped a lot.  Feels like I'm standing up straight now, no pain while out walking around, big difference.  The only drag was when I'd sit up to reach my feet and there'd be a jolt as I passed horizontal, but it didn't follow me around.

Moral of the story is: going to get an inversion table and see how I fare.  And keep away from lower back work for awhile, of course.  Thanks for the advice.  Getbig continues to deliver!

my pain is gone thank fuck I'm squatting tomorrow

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
my pain is gone thank fuck I'm squatting tomorrow

Haven't decided yet if I'm done with squats or not.  Definitely not going near them for a few weeks tho.

Be careful bro.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 10:19:40 AM »
Haven't decided yet if I'm done with squats or not.  Definitely not going near them for a few weeks tho.

Be careful bro.

I'm on 5/3/1 3 cycle so weight is still light - I never have any problems with squats but most of the time with deadlifts

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 10:35:05 AM »
Bump

My sister's a physio and she has a table, likes it and uses it. I've tried it. It's relaxing and the back does slowly unkink. I just find one of the sticks in the gym and carry it around with me while I work out, doing a set then doing 30-40 twists, etc. Done the chiro (waste of $) and direct lower back work (total overkill when you're doing squats, etc. ). Get recovered from this episode Tape and find something that you like, and can easily incorporate that keeps the area both relaxed and toned. I've thrown my back out sneezing so I know this kind of stuff is no joke. Good luck.   

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »
My sister's a physio and she has a table, likes it and uses it. I've tried it. It's relaxing and the back does slowly unkink. I just find one of the sticks in the gym and carry it around with me while I work out, doing a set then doing 30-40 twists, etc. Done the chiro (waste of $) and direct lower back work (total overkill when you're doing squats, etc. ). Get recovered from this episode Tape and find something that you like, and can easily incorporate that keeps the area both relaxed and toned. I've thrown my back out sneezing so I know this kind of stuff is no joke. Good luck.   

Cheers, doc.  Probably time to start acting my age when nobody's looking.

Oh, and here's how I picture you on leg day.