Author Topic: Teacher Fired For Having Sex Out Of Wedlock  (Read 11393 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Teacher Fired For Having Sex Out Of Wedlock
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »
These people kill me.  If you don't want to adhere to a moral code, don't work for a religious organization. 

Thursday, June 10 2010

(St. Cloud, FL)  --  A Florida teacher is suing her school after she was fired for becoming pregnant out of wedlock.

Thirty-nine-year-old Jaretta Hamilton said she admitted to administrators at Southland Christian School in St. Cloud that her child was conceived a few weeks before she was married.
School officials say that is an immoral act and grounds for termination.

The school's principal, Jon Ennis, said he stands behind the decision, but Hamilton has filed a lawsuit in federal court alleging discrimination and invasion of privacy.

In her lawsuit, the fourth-grade teacher is asking for back wages and unspecified damages for embarrassment, humiliation and anxiety.

http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news/?nxd_id=169245

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Teacher Fired For Having Sex Out Of Wedlock
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
These people kill me.  If you don't want to adhere to a moral code, don't work for a religious organization. 

Thursday, June 10 2010

(St. Cloud, FL)  --  A Florida teacher is suing her school after she was fired for becoming pregnant out of wedlock.

Thirty-nine-year-old Jaretta Hamilton said she admitted to administrators at Southland Christian School in St. Cloud that her child was conceived a few weeks before she was married.
School officials say that is an immoral act and grounds for termination.

The school's principal, Jon Ennis, said he stands behind the decision, but Hamilton has filed a lawsuit in federal court alleging discrimination and invasion of privacy.

In her lawsuit, the fourth-grade teacher is asking for back wages and unspecified damages for embarrassment, humiliation and anxiety.

http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news/?nxd_id=169245

I just read this story, yesterday. To me, it's one of those judgment calls things there. It's grounds for termination, but it was her future hubby. From the looks of their policy, the school reserves the right for a less harsh discipline. Perhaps, that would have been a better route to go.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
Shouldn't have fired her.  Plain and simple.  Whether or not they have the legal grounds for termination will be decided.  If she signed onto a 'moral' code and she broke that code she doesn't have a lot of legal standing.  However, that doesn't make the firing a good decision.  She married the man, she disclosed the situation on her own to officials, that should have been the end of it.  Now they'll have to deal with bad publicity and a legal battle.  The school admin need their heads examined.  The worst place to be is in the court room. 
Abandon every hope...

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:25:41 AM »
Whether or not they have the legal grounds for termination will be decided.  

It already is decided.  It happened in FL.  Where there are no job protection laws.  On any given day an employer can walk into their business and fire anyone for any reason.  If they are right handed, or have brown hair, or they match their belt and shoes... doesn't matter. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »
It already is decided.  It happened in FL.  Where there are no job protection laws.  On any given day an employer can walk into their business and fire anyone for any reason.  If they are right handed, or have brown hair, or they match their belt and shoes... doesn't matter. 

what a sh*tty state. 
Abandon every hope...

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »
what a sh*tty state. 

Not really when you weigh the pros and cons to it.   :)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »

What law protects an employee from getting fired, when he/she breaks company policy, again?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:56:16 AM »
What law protects an employee from getting fired, when he/she breaks company policy, again?

No law protects an employee from termination for breaking company policy.  That isn't the point of my post. 

FL is a right to work state.  Which means you do not have to be in any kind of union to work certain jobs.  That is all.  In reality it often translates more truthfully as a Right To Fire state.

This is why 99% of discrimination suits in FL courts never win unless one can prove damages have occurred. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »
I just read this story, yesterday. To me, it's one of those judgment calls things there. It's grounds for termination, but it was her future hubby. From the looks of their policy, the school reserves the right for a less harsh discipline. Perhaps, that would have been a better route to go.

McWay they are always judgment calls.  If an employee violates company policy, the employer has to use its discretion to determine what the punishment will be. 

If I were in charge of the school, I don't think I would have fired her, but I really have no problem with a religious institution that wants to have strict enforcement of a moral code.

The woman knew the rules going in.  She should have worked for a public school.  Instead, she's making a public spectacle of herself.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »

No they can't.   ::)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 12:13:57 PM »
No they can't.   ::)

Yes.  They can.

::)

An employer doesn't need a reason to send you packing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »
Yes.  They can.

An employer doesn't need a reason to send you packing.

An employer cannot fire you based on race, national origin, religion, gender, etc.  So, you're wrong.  As usual.   ::)

Wait.  This is the same person who questioned whether prayer was constitutional.   ::)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »
An employer cannot fire you based on race, national origin, religion, gender, etc.  So, you're wrong.  As usual.   ::)

Wait.  This is the same person who questioned whether prayer was constitutional.   ::)

FL is an "at will" state.  Pro employer.  Not pro employee.

Yes, they can.  They can fire you at any time and never even have to tell you the reason.  Lacking of termination reason and documentation is the standard loophole.  You are wrong as usual. 

Wait this is the same person who claims to have read the story of the Walmarts founder and afterwards still didn't know who Sam Walton was. 

"   ::)  "

The entire thread regarding constitutional prayer is yet one more example of your reading inability.  At first I suspected you don't read threads before responding, then I started to think maybe you had ADHD.  Now I am convinced you are just stupid.  That is the only logical explanation.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »
FL is an "at will" state.  Pro employer.  Not pro employee.

Yes, they can.  They can fire you at any time and never even have to tell you the reason.  Lacking of termination reason and documentation is the standard loophole.  You are wrong as usual. 

Wait this is the same person who claims to have read the story of the Walmarts founder and afterwards still didn't know who Sam Walton was. 

"   ::)  "

The entire thread regarding constitutional prayer is yet one more example of your reading inability.  At first I suspected you don't read threads before responding, then I started to think maybe you had ADHD.  Now I am convinced you are just stupid.  That is the only logical explanation.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!  Lurker go read Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  I think it's available on Google.  I'm sure Florida has a state equivalent. 

After you've read those, then maybe you can understand that at-will emplolyment allows termination for any reason, or no reason, but does not allow an employer to fire an employee for an "illegal" reason, which would include race, gender, etc.  I know this because I'm an employer and make hiring and firing decisions.  Every educated employer in an at-will employment state (like mine) knows this.  Internet dum dums don't.   

You calling anyone stupid?  LOL . . . . ;D

I love this board.  lol.   :)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »
Apparently, the following sentence that was posted prior either contained some big words that you didn't understand or was simply beyond the scope of your intelligence.  Whatever the case, that is your problem not mine.

Lacking of termination reason and documentation is the standard loophole. 

When you don't have to give a reason for the termination it is hard for the person getting fired to establish a claim that they are being fired "illegally".

And yes, I am calling YOU stupid.  As evidence clearly supports that claim as well. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
Apparently, the following sentence that was posted prior either contained some big words that you didn't understand or was simply beyond the scope of your intelligence.  Whatever the case, that is your problem not mine.

When you don't have to give a reason for the termination it is hard for the person getting fired to establish a claim that they are being fired "illegally".

And yes, I am calling YOU stupid.  As evidence clearly supports that claim as well. 

Where there are no job protection laws.  On any given day an employer can walk into their business and fire anyone for any reason. 

LOL!  So yes, all you Florida employers, according to Lurker you can fire all your Asian employees because they are Asian.  LOL. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »

LOL!  So yes, all you Florida employers, according to Lurker you can fire all your Asian employees because they are Asian.  LOL. 

What part do you not understand?  Anyone can be fired for anything.  What part of anyONE didn't penetrate that rock on your shoulders?  No reason needs to be present or given.  Now if an employer wants to write on the pink slip that Asian people are being let go for being Asian, that is their stupidity.  But if they leave any sort of reason or documentation off the record, not a damn thing can be done.  And nothing can be proven.

This is not hard to understand.  Except for you apparently.  Why is that?  Were you fed paint chips as a child?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »

What part do you not understand?  Anyone can be fired for anything.  What part of anyONE didn't penetrate that rock on your shoulders?  No reason needs to be present or given.  Now if an employer wants to write on the pink slip that Asian people are being let go for being Asian, that is their stupidity.  But if they leave any sort of reason or documentation off the record, not a damn thing can be done.  And nothing can be proven.

This is not hard to understand.  Except for you apparently.  Why is that?  Were you fed paint chips as a child?

O.K.  I think I've composed myself.   ;D  Yes an employer can fire someone in an at-will employment state, who doesn't have a contract, belong to a union, etc. for "no reason."  But you said an employer can fire someone for "any reason," without qualification.  If an employer can fire someone for "any reason," without qualification, then "any reason" includes "illegal" reasons, like disability, national origin, etc.  If you can't understand that, then I can't help you.  I just hope you never have hiring/firing authority.  It could get very expensive for you.  

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »
O.K.  I think I've composed myself.   ;D  Yes an employer can fire someone in an at-will employment state, who doesn't have a contract, belong to a union, etc. for "no reason."  But you said an employer can fire someone for "any reason," without qualification.  If an employer can fire someone for "any reason," without qualification, then "any reason" includes "illegal" reasons, like disability, national origin, etc.  If you can't understand that, then I can't help you.  I just hope you never have hiring/firing authority.  It could get very expensive for you.  

You really are stupid aren't you?  Or are you just attempting to split hairs in a backtracking effort?  Possibly both.

I guess the part of

When NO REASON has to be given, there is no way to determining if the employee got fired because the company didn't like his religion or if he got fired for performance reasons or anything else.  Employers are not required to give any reason at all.  

When the option of being fired for NO REASON is present, that pretty much includes ANY REASON that the employer may have.  

If you can not comprehend this, then perhaps you should limit your debates to third graders or non English speaking persons.  That way you will be on equal footing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »
It already is decided.  It happened in FL.  Where there are no job protection laws.  On any given day an employer can walk into their business and fire anyone for any reason. 

Anti-Discrimination Law

Under both state and federal law, employers are prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, national origin, color, religion, sex, age, handicap, HIV or AIDS infection, marital status or sickle cell trait. An employer found to have unlawfully discriminated may be forced to reinstate or promote an employee, institute new non-discriminatory work procedures, and pay compensatory and punitive damages. Anti-discrimination law applies to most employers with 15 or more employees and covers all areas of employment, including hiring, hours, wages, promotion and termination.

If you believe you have been discriminated against based upon any of the above factors, contact the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR), the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) (see the Resources section below), or consult an attorney. What follows is a short description of some of the areas protected under anti-discrimination law.

http://www.weblocator.com/attorney/fl/law/empind.html#70

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »
You really are stupid aren't you?  Or are you just attempting to split hairs in a backtracking effort?  Possibly both.

I guess the part of

When NO REASON has to be given, there is no way to determining if the employee got fired because the company didn't like his religion or if he got fired for performance reasons or anything else.  Employers are not required to give any reason at all. 

When the option of being fired for NO REASON is present, that pretty much includes ANY REASON that the employer may have. 

If you can not comprehend this, then perhaps you should limit your debates to third graders or non English speaking persons.  That way you will be on equal footing.

The next part of your lesson includes the word "pretext."  I think that one is available on Google too.   :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 01:26:22 PM »
LMAO lurker just quit bro  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 01:31:28 PM »

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 06:10:46 AM »
LMAO lurker just quit bro  ;D

No. Actually I went home.  Unlike other's who live on here 24/7 when I am not bored at work, I don't post.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 06:12:45 AM »
The next part of your lesson includes the word "pretext."  I think that one is available on Google too.   :)

What part are you struggling with?  The English language?  Reading?  Comprehending?  All three?

It can't be made any more simple for you.  If you can't understand it, that is your fault.  Not mine.  Enjoy your struggles.