Author Topic: Explain something about soccer  (Read 26969 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Re: Explain something about soccer
« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2010, 03:21:23 PM »
The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball, and baseball is much more a game of skill than it is of conditioning. Also foot speed is a big plus in baseball, but it's not a requirement. I think that the best conditioned athletes are basketball players, with soccer players being a rather close second.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »
The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball, and baseball is much more a game of skill than it is of conditioning. Also foot speed is a big plus in baseball, but it's not a requirement. I think that the best conditioned athletes are basketball players, with soccer players being a rather close second.

Who has more endurance a basketball player or a soccer player?

Soccer player.

Soccer Players. The field is much larger, and endurance is a much larger factor in soccer. Soccer games are also MUCH longer than basketball games, no matter what level you're playing in. Also, there are only 3 substitutions allowed the whole soccer match as opposed to unlimited in basketball. Basketball players run an average of 5 miles per game while soccer players run 7 miles per game.
Gracie Rules

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #202 on: June 21, 2010, 05:27:48 PM »

Really? ;)

The top footballers earn more than the top nfl players. The average gridiron players career is just 4 years, where as the average footballers career in 14 years.  

Highest Paid Football Players == Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United players get paid the most. David Beckham is the richest player in the world because he gets paid a million dollars a week

There is a scientific breakdown from R. Carlos' goal against Tenerife, ironically by an American news station that broke it down to speed angles etc and said it is basically teh closest to impoissible goal ever scored.

That goal at Le Tournoi is sensational.

Watch from 1.20 at least

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
Retarded argument.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #204 on: June 21, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »
Retarded argument.
Che has spoken. /End thread.
Che, we need more wife pics. Post pics of yours, and ill post pics of mine.  ;D

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: June 21, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
Che has spoken. /End thread.
Che, we need more wife pics. Post pics of yours, and ill post pics of mine.  ;D
No problem , you go first  ;).

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #206 on: June 21, 2010, 06:17:57 PM »
There is a scientific breakdown from R. Carlos' goal against Tenerife, ironically by an American news station that broke it down to speed angles etc and said it is basically teh closest to impoissible goal ever scored.

That goal at Le Tournoi is sensational.

Watch from 1.20 at least

Nice thanks.

Goal

Gracie Rules

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2010, 06:19:30 PM »

Really? ;)

The top footballers earn more than the top nfl players. The average gridiron players career is just 4 years, where as the average footballers career in 14 years.  

Highest Paid Football Players == Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United players get paid the most. David Beckham is the richest player in the world because he gets paid a million dollars a week
how many games do you have in a season? in football they play 16 games in the regular season...

both goals are nice but american football players are hands down more atheletic than soccer players and imho american football requires a great deal more skill...
american football may seem like just a brute strength contest but that is so far from the truth its insane. American football is very relient on skill, fitness, teamwork and vision.

how much skill, fitness and vision do you think it takes to fight off a defender while tracking a ball and then make a one handed catch from almost 50 yards away? Never the less being able to hit a person with a football running at a full sprint that runs 40 yds in around 4 secs while trying to avoid 300 lb men trying to tackle you.

there is a ton of teamwork in the NFL watch some of the runs in this video and tell me that all the blocking isnt teamwork. Anytime you have a successfull pass or run you can be sure that alot of teamwork went into it, the ppl have to know who to block, whether or not the block and the let them go to engage someone else downt he field...whether or not the running back should block or go out for a pass.

Like I said I know on the surface American football doesnt look like it takes a lot of skill but thats just not paying attention. Everything from the linemen knowing their blocking assignments to a running back giving a stiff arm or a juke uses teamwork and skill

I leave you with one of the leagues best wide receivers and some of his best catches from last year...this man is a true athelete

its not even a fair comparison the one and only thing that soccer players have over american football players is endurance... ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »

Who has more endurance a basketball player or a soccer player?

Soccer player.

Soccer Players. The field is much larger, and endurance is a much larger factor in soccer. Soccer games are also MUCH longer than basketball games, no matter what level you're playing in. Also, there are only 3 substitutions allowed the whole soccer match as opposed to unlimited in basketball. Basketball players run an average of 5 miles per game while soccer players run 7 miles per game.
I would agree that soccer players may have more conditioning than basketball but at the same in basketball youre sprinting everytime...in soccer youre running more but youre not always sprinting and there are times when youre just standing there...

at any rate this just backs up what I said soccer players are sub par atheletes compared to basketball and football players all they have is endurance on them...

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »
how many games do you have in a season? in football they play 16 games in the regular season...

both goals are nice but american football players are hands down more atheletic than soccer players and imho american football requires a great deal more skill...its not even a fair comparison the one and only thing that soccer players have over american football players is endurance... ;)

More athletic?

Did you know that American sports in general do not follow WADA rules? That the use of performance-enhancing drugs is not strictly regulated in US sports? The World Anti-Doping Agency has strict regulations that almost all sports adhere to, especially soccer with it’s spot drug testing and what not. American sports, on the other hand, play by their own rules, which is a nice way to say that American sports feature more drug abuse than more global sports.

In some cases, having a global authority making sure that you follow certain standards is a good thing.

But hey, what’s the point of playing a sport when you can’t pump yourself with drugs to make you faster / stronger? If you can’t cheat, why play?

More skills? no way.

The most popular American sports – basketball, baseball, American football, ice hockey, golf – primarily involve the use of hands / upper body to compete in. In fact, you could argue that feet are only for mobility (only American football allows for kicking, and that too is best done long-range).

Now if you drop a sport like soccer – all feet, some head and no hands – it’s like asking someone to walk on their hands instead of their feet. It’s not easy to switch around to compeletely different way of playing a sport.
Gracie Rules

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
I would agree that soccer players may have more conditioning than basketball but at the same in basketball youre sprinting everytime...in soccer youre running more but youre not always sprinting and there are times when youre just standing there...

at any rate this just backs up what I said soccer players are sub par atheletes compared to basketball and football players all they have is endurance on them...

Bingo. Every soccer clip posted shows about 5 guys from each team engaged in the action, the rest of them aren't even in the frame...and they're just standing there, that's what happens.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2010, 06:30:50 PM »
;D
Thread saved by my wife.

:o :o :P

You win bro  >:(

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2010, 06:32:51 PM »

both goals are nice but american football players are hands down more atheletic than soccer players and imho american football requires a great deal more skill...its not even a fair comparison the one and only thing that soccer players have over american football players is endurance... ;)

That endurance claim by soccer fanatics is bullshit. Watch a game. Everyone but the mid-fielders spend as much time walking/jogging as they do sprinting. Guys like Ronaldo won't even make an attempt to get back and play defense unless the other team is 10 yards from their team's goal. Endurance my ass. As if jogging/running 5 miles over the course of 90+ minutes is special. I guess that makes marathon runners the greatest athletes alive as they cover that distance in 1/3 of that time.  ::)

Try sprinting up and down a basketball court and banging bodies all game. Unlike soccer pussies, NBA players don't flop around whenever someone brushes up against them.

I would easily take the bet that Lebron is a better athlete than any soccer player. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like the NBA.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2010, 06:33:29 PM »

More athletic?

Did you know that American sports in general do not follow WADA rules? That the use of performance-enhancing drugs is not strictly regulated in US sports? The World Anti-Doping Agency has strict regulations that almost all sports adhere to, especially soccer with it’s spot drug testing and what not. American sports, on the other hand, play by their own rules, which is a nice way to say that American sports feature more drug abuse than more global sports.

In some cases, having a global authority making sure that you follow certain standards is a good thing.

But hey, what’s the point of playing a sport when you can’t pump yourself with drugs to make you faster / stronger? If you can’t cheat, why play?

More skills? no way.

The most popular American sports – basketball, baseball, American football, ice hockey, golf – primarily involve the use of hands / upper body to compete in. In fact, you could argue that feet are only for mobility (only American football allows for kicking, and that too is best done long-range).

Now if you drop a sport like soccer – all feet, some head and no hands – it’s like asking someone to walk on their hands instead of their feet. It’s not easy to switch around to compeletely different way of playing a sport.

Don't waste your time brother

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2010, 06:34:51 PM »
:o :o :P

You win bro  >:(

Bulllshit! Wife swap?

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: June 21, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »
That endurance claim by soccer fanatics is bullshit. Watch a game. Everyone but the mid-fielders spend as much time walking/jogging as they do sprinting. Guys like Ronaldo won't even make an attempt to get back and play defense unless the other team is 10 yards from their team's goal. Endurance my ass. As if jogging/running 5 miles over the course of 90+ minutes is special. I guess that makes marathon runners the greatest athletes alive as they cover that distance in 1/3 of that time.  ::)

Try sprinting up and down a basketball court and banging bodies all game. Unlike soccer pussies, NBA players don't flop around whenever someone brushes up against them.

I would easily take the bet that Lebron is a better athlete than any soccer player. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like the NBA.

Soccer is about skill not athleticism, Koby Bryant first chosen sport was soccer he failed.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: June 21, 2010, 06:39:35 PM »
Soccer is about skill not athleticism, Koby Bryant first chosen sport was soccer he failed.

What skill? Kicking a ball around? It's not any more impressive than hitting a 95+ mph fastball or making a diving one-hand catch on a 60-yard pass.

But I'm sure there are millions of successful 6'6 soccer players out there playing positions besides GK. Kobe had the basketball gift so why waste his time in a sport that would only pay him a fraction of what he'd make in the NBA? ::)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »

More athletic?

More skills? no way.

LMAO so its all drugs that produce our better atheletes huh?  ::) ::) ::)

and I agree that dealing with your feet as opposed to your hands takes more skill but you convienently leave a shit load out...throwing a ball and hitting a guy who runs 4 sec 40's 50yds away in full stride...being able to evade and throw on the run...fighting off defenders and catching balls with one hand...being able to juke defender after defender ...not even a contest and actually its not better to kick a field goal in football from a longer distance  ;)(its clear you dont know much about football)

Like I said the US produces better atheletes...most professional players arent on drugs but some are...most soccer players arent on drugs BUT SOME ARE

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: June 21, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »
if that is the case then youre fucked...

SKILL IS LEARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATHELETICISM IS INHERIT!!!!!!!!

who is more atheletic? soccer players or basketball and football players? LMAO ist not even a contest...

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2010, 06:45:23 PM »

who is more atheletic? soccer players of basketball and football players? LMAO ist not even a contest...

Haha, they don't even realize that they're defeating their entire argument by acknowledging that soccer players are inferior athletes.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »

Soccer is more physically demanding. Granted all the other sports mentioned here are physically demanding as well, but from not only the experience I have as an athlete, but the knowledge gained in sports medicine classes in college, soccer is obviously the more demanding sport.
Basketball is a very demanding sport when you consider the sprints that the players have to go through, but like mentioned here, they are very short sprints and half the people that play are over 6ft tall anyway to it doesn't take that long to get across the court. Then its a bunch of passing and quick movements, but endurance lacks. Its mostly anaerobic. Plus, with the combination of using hands and legs, does make it a bit easier.
However, in soccer not only do players sprint long distances, but in between (if they're a good player) they will be jogging or running the whole time, considering when the ball isn't around a player, they should be moving constantly to get in a good position. And when the ball does come near there's a lot of checking to and away from the ball. That involves sprinting. Its a combination of aerobic and anaerobic. Its very demanding. Plus on top of that, you aren't just throwing a ball to someone a few feet away, you may be trying to cross the ball over 30 or 40 yrds. Its a bit more difficult when you have to use your feet not only for running and cutting, but also to handle a ball at the same time. Basketball players don't even have to pay much attention to their feet in relation to the ball. Just the fact that everything in soccer has to be done with the legs and feet make it more demanding. I could run down the length of a soccer field and shoot a basketball in a a net WITH MY HANDS a lot easier than I could run down the length of a soccer field and then shoot after having used most of the energy in my legs.
But like I said, both are hard. I wouldn't expect a basketball player to step onto a soccer field and have the conditioning for it, but like I wouldn't expect a soccer player to step on a basketball court and have the conditioning for that.

I will make simple google, if you find One result in favor of basketball. feel free to post.

Skill is learned? how come we don't have a Ronaldo in every corner?
Gracie Rules

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2010, 07:03:26 PM »

Soccer is more physically demanding. Granted all the other sports mentioned here are physically demanding as well, but from not only the experience I have as an athlete, but the knowledge gained in sports medicine classes in college, soccer is obviously the more demanding sport.
Basketball is a very demanding sport when you consider the sprints that the players have to go through, but like mentioned here, they are very short sprints and half the people that play are over 6ft tall anyway to it doesn't take that long to get across the court. Then its a bunch of passing and quick movements, but endurance lacks. Its mostly anaerobic. Plus, with the combination of using hands and legs, does make it a bit easier.
However, in soccer not only do players sprint long distances, but in between (if they're a good player) they will be jogging or running the whole time, considering when the ball isn't around a player, they should be
moving constantly to get in a good position. And when the ball does come near there's a lot of checking to and away from the ball. That involves sprinting. Its a combination of aerobic and anaerobic. Its very demanding. Plus on top of that, you aren't just throwing a ball to someone a few feet away, you may be trying to cross the ball over 30 or 40 yrds. Its a bit more difficult when you have to use your feet not only for running and cutting, but also to handle a ball at the same time. Basketball players don't even have to pay much attention to their feet in relation to the ball. Just the fact that everything in soccer has to be done with the legs and feet make it more demanding. I could run down the length of a soccer field and shoot a basketball in a a net WITH MY HANDS a lot easier than I could run down the length of a soccer field and then shoot after having used most of the energy in my legs.
But like I said, both are hard. I wouldn't expect a basketball player to step onto a soccer field and have the conditioning for it, but like I wouldn't expect a soccer player to step on a basketball court and have the conditioning for that.

I will make simple google, if you find One result in favor of basketball. feel free to post.

Skill is learned? how come we don't have a Ronaldo in every corner?

No, just no.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »
I'm gonna have to break it down for you guys again cuz you guys are missing my point why americans cant just own the sport if they so choose.  In general to be a pro athlete only about 1 in 100 have what it takes to make it big, with the combination of general fitness and reflexs, in general in any fast paced sport. In the american big three a top player is much rarer than say about 1 in 100, a good guess would be maybe about 1 in 10000, that got the right size, strength, speed, endurance agility, and resistance to injury. Of course they spend there lives devoted to the sport and i'm not trying to say for a moment they without skill. There highly highly skilled athletes.

In soccer its still 1 in 100 people got what it takes to be a pro, I more than agree that there sub par in terms of any of the things that makes americans great athletes. The rest comes down to skill with the ball, team movements,  and a ability to see plays in advance/ manipulate the opposing team, much like any other sport.

Americans do well in conditioned sports because they have so many people. If you got a massive pool of athletes to choose from your sure to get the best and have the best teams. There is no way around this fact, more people more choice better selection.

In soccer it don't work like that at all. A small country like portugal can do very well in the world cup even though it only has 8 million people. Why because they have such a high level of soccer in the country, regardless the number of people. Developing a high level of play takes decades and decades. To act like somehow if americans care theyd dominate the sport in clown talk. Maybe in 30-40 years but it wouldn't happen overnight.

As far as what groinks saying about the american speed and endurance would win, it don't make sense. In soccer its the same size as a football field, but the major difference is that there spread across a field equally not tensed up in football. Which means it's very easy for a skilled team to play around fast players. Football and basketball are not like this a overbearing player can dominate someone because there in tight spaces.  

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »

who is more atheletic? soccer players or basketball and football players? LMAO ist not even a contest...

Are you retarded ?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2010, 07:07:22 PM »
Are you retarded ?
are fuking you???  ::) ::) ::)

a skill is a learned action anybody can pick up skills but its their natural ability that makes the difference....

so who are better atheletes soccer players or football players? LMAO