Author Topic: Purchase a beater car instead of driving the current one?  (Read 4235 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Purchase a beater car instead of driving the current one?
« on: June 20, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »
A few hours ago today I was at a local foreign car garage that specializes in German (particularly BMW and Porsche). He has several cars out on the lot including a 2003 BMW M5 and various Porsche 911 Turbos, but what has really gotten my attention is a 1987-88 BMW (E28 chassis) 535i. It still has registration plates on it, and chances are it may need work. It's a manual, and looks the "beater" part. I'm intrigued by it, plus if it is good shape, I would rather drive that and save on gas. Good idea or no?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Purchase a beater car instead of driving a new one?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
Why not?  It's just a fuckin car.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

newmom

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:33:13 PM »
drive a new one IMO

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 05:37:17 PM »
A few hours ago today I was at a local foreign car garage that specializes in German (particularly BMW and Porsche). He has several cars out on the lot including a 2003 BMW M5 and various Porsche 911 Turbos, but what has really gotten my attention is a 1987-88 BMW (E28 chassis) 535i. It still has registration plates on it, and chances are it may need work. It's a manual, and looks the "beater" part. I'm intrigued by it, plus if it is good shape, I would rather drive that and save on gas. Good idea or no?
In your case bro get the beater you like to work on cars anyway so "killing two birds with one stone" as to speak and no payments.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
drive a new one IMO
You're a woman, your opinion means shit when it comes to cars.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »
Why not?  It's just a fuckin car.
Well true, Im only really intrigued by the potential of that car as well...after I saw where a guy created his own M5 CSL race car from the same type of car a 80s 5 series.
Plus, it's lighter than today's cars, probably has better gas mileage, and is about the size or smaller than today's 3 series...

Yep, I'm gonna ask about it tomorrow. And keep my current car for weekends, if I can swing the price.

And as you said, Mr. Nobody...no payments.

newmom

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »

wtf kind of crap is that..I know enough damn

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 05:41:25 PM »
just because newmom has a new car and payments she wants everbody else to be in the same boat.  ::)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 05:42:48 PM »
Depends how much you know about cars, if you can give it a once-over and tell a bargain from a lemon.  I know jack shit so I drive new vehicles, which is probably a waste of money.  

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 05:46:08 PM »
You've got other pressing issues, butt out.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

newmom

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
First off, Parker I DO know enough..how the fuck do you think I learned. I owned a lowered 66 vw bug with a 1835 in it when I lived in cali.
Mr. Shut your pie hole. I replaced a 12 year old car, went 8 years with no payments and FYI im already 4 months ahead on car payments, because I HATE not actually owning my car..so shut it.

I just dont think its worth the time or effort to buy a 23 year old car..Yeesh whats hard to understand..MEN you make it sooo complicated

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 05:49:49 PM »
Depends how much you know about cars, if you can give it a once-over and tell a bargain from a lemon.  I know jack shit so I drive new vehicles, which is probably a waste of money.  
Parker knows his stuff about cars

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 05:59:03 PM »
get a hyundai and save on gas

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 06:08:38 PM »

The only down side is the work , BMW's are expensive to fix. The up side is once it's fixed you own it outright and it should be good-to-go BMW's are pretty reliable cars if taken care of and most owners do take care of that investment

I know many a guy who is a slave to a bank payment , they have nice cars but you pay the price for them in more ways than one. I've been debating buying something new but what I have is paid off do I really wanna start that game again? I haven't yet

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
The only down side is the work , BMW's are expensive to fix. The up side is once it's fixed you own it outright and it should be good-to-go BMW's are pretty reliable cars if taken care of and most owners do take care of that investment

I know many a guy who is a slave to a bank payment , they have nice cars but you pay the price for them in more ways than one. I've been debating buying something new but what I have is paid off do I really wanna start that game again? I haven't yet
I got a 325i its been a good car got it paid off so keeping it til it drops I dont want no more damn payments.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 06:13:57 PM »
When I turn 25 I hope to benefit from classic insurance and buy a Ford Capri 2.8i.

newmom

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
I've been debating buying something new but what I have is paid off do I really wanna start that game again? I haven't yet

Exactly, if you dont have to, don't do it until you have to. Im still keeping the old car for the snow, that is pretty much the only reason why

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 06:14:43 PM »
I got a 325i its been a good car got it paid off so keeping it til it drops I dont want no more damn payments.
smart man ! don't give the bank your money

David M

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 06:15:16 PM »

gospel
Team MEL

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »
Exactly, if you dont have to, don't do it until you have to. Im still keeping the old car for the snow, that is pretty much the only reason why
new is smarter than I thought, suprising.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 06:18:26 PM »
oh hell yeah get the beater
thats what i did
w

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 06:19:48 PM »
oh hell yeah get the beater
thats what i did
What you got Gene?

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 06:20:47 PM »
What you got Gene?
toyotaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa cressidaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
w

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »

he has a sexist macho image to up-hold when he grows up to be a real man , he'll understands a woman's opinion on the subject is just a valid as a mans if it's well researched.

alejandro_torres

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 06:23:41 PM »

e 39 bro, you cant go wrong with that one...